• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
With the way some of you guys talk you would think that a bunch of you have degrees in economics, accounting, and marketing. Lol.....

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I mean, some people will, if the PS4 is cheaper (and it will be).

Some people just want the cheapest TV box for their kid (or themselves) to play Minecraft/Fortnite/GTA on. I know that's shocking to this place sometimes, but it's true. People aren't always buying these things as an investment with the intention of maximizing the ratio of years of support to dollars spent.

If that was the case then why not just get an Xbox One S? That will be support for 1-2 years and will likely gain XCloud capability to play XSX games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I mean, some people will, if the PS4 is cheaper (and it will be).

Some people just want the cheapest TV box for their kid (or themselves) to play Minecraft/Fortnite/GTA on. I know that's shocking to this place sometimes, but it's true. People aren't always buying these things as an investment with the intention of maximizing the ratio of years of support to dollars spent.
Those people weren't going to buy a next gen console anyway. They're super late adopters and will barely be investing in the ecosystem after buying the console regardless. Not the target demographic for Sony or Microsoft with their new loss leaders.

I have a couple of friends who play games every day, are still stuck on base PS4 or XBO S, are keen for next gen features such as fast load times and multi resume, but are still playing on 1080p screens in their spare rooms and won't be able to justify spending over £400 for a new console, especially in the current climate. That's where something like Lockhart could be an attractive proposition. Same goes for those looking to buy a console just for their kids - eg Little Jimmy wants to play the latest games only available on next gen, but does he really need 4k? Vast majority of games might be cross gen for the first year or so, but after that things will shift dramatically and that's where Lockhart could find its feet as a low cost entry point to playing those games.

But right now Lockhart hasn't even been announced, and we have nothing but a rumoured spec sheet. And we really have no idea on the ultimate list prices of any of the consoles.

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The PS3 was always a $499 machine with extra storage model being more expensive. But somehow the $599 meme stuck.
Other way around. They barely produced the $499 SKU. The only SKU readily available, and the one that had the most value, was the $599 SKU. The $499 was seen as a joke and inferior, and as a cushion to the true price of $599.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Other way around. They barely produced the $499 SKU. The only SKU readily available, and the one that had the most value, was the $599 SKU. The $499 was seen as a joke and inferior, and as a cushion to the true price of $599.
How is it most value when you could grab a 100GB hard drive much cheaper than the premium it charged and replace it yourself? Unless a $2 memory card reader, wifi and some chrome trimming is worth extra $50-60 on top of the money you save by replacing the HDD. The reason they stopped making 20GB is because people mostly bought 60GB model. 20GB was basically sitting on shelves everywhere.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
This popped up today, which I believe is the FCC filing for the Dualsense prototype:

fccid.io

FCC ID AK8CFIZCT1 Wireless Controller by Sony Corporation

FCC ID application submitted by Sony Corporation for Wireless Controller for FCC ID AK8CFIZCT1. Approved Frequencies, User Manuals, Photos, and Wireless Reports.

I'm not sure there's much to glean from that - all the 'goodies' are marked confidential until October at least. The test report doesn't even carry normal specs like size/weight. It arrived at the FCC last December.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Provided there is more concrete confirmation regarding the titles that will be backwards compatible I will pick one up at launch, having a lot of PS4 games that I still love to play makes this a must buy provided they all work.

Not interested in the Series X as I have a strong PC that I keep up to date.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
$150 for the NVMes in these system is not far fetched at all

No it looks like too much.

This SSD 1 TB 5GB/s is 200 dollars at retail* and it is comparable to the PS5 SSD, the controller is comparable too some elements aren't here but there is 1GB of DDR4 not in the PS5 controller.

We will say the PS5controller is not costing a few dollars more than on PS4, not better cooling system and use the 250 dollars of Bloomberg estimation for RAM and SSD.

SSD (Bloomberg estimation) 150 - HDD PS4(37) = 113 dollars
RAM (Bloomberg estimation) 100 - RAM PS4(88) = 12 dollars.

This cost 125 dollars more.

381+125 = 506 dollars much more than the 450 dollars of the other Bloomberg article.

*BOM + packaging + shipping and other cost + profit of Sabrent and retailer

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
We'll see a lot of crossgen until spring 2021 so price can stay high, if it means longer tech legs for the system.

It might sound fucked, but i hope the price is high so its easier to get a preorder in. Im buying a ps5 no matter what.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I commented in one these types of threads, but people were so wishful with their idiotic predictions: "with these specs, PS5 HAS to be $399 or it's DOA".

I also don't understand why people keep going with extremely wishful positions on the Xbox pricing. I've seen a dozen of times: $399 + Game Pass with people acting confident about this.

Why is $399 always used for this pricing? $499 for an entry level price with this hardware makes more sense to pair with a long subscription to Game Pass to draw people.

Like I said - you all have way too high of wishful thinking for w/e console your trying to champion for.

Exactly!

One X launched at $499 so I don't see how people think the Series X is some how going to launch $100 cheaper?

I've always expected both to launch at $499, going in with expectations like $399 you're just going to end up disappointed.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
If PS3 didn't massively under perform in sales, then I'm sure Sony would have been fine with taking a huge loss on the PS3. Similarly, Sony definitely expects the PS5 to outsell XSX so again, they will be fine taking a significant loss at launch. This is nothing new tbh.

What planet are you living on? Sony has shareholders to answer to. They won't take a bath on HW in these times neither will MS.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
What planet are you living on? Sony has shareholders to answer to. They won't take a bath on HW in these times neither will MS.
It depends really on how diverse each of the divisions in the Corp are. But you are correct, this isn't the 90s and early 00s anymore. If Sony took a $100 bath per unit on these consoles for the first year and it tracks 20% under what they sold that's still a loss in the billions and in a recession economy shareholders are not going to have confidence in that.

it will remain to see how agressive MS is willing to be. They may have been happy to sink money before covid to reach price parity with Sony. The reason I believe we look the MS is they have software and cloud to fall back on and Xbox only accounts for 10% of Corp profit. Sony on the other hand has a much higher reliance on PlayStation and is also exposed in the tv , movie and possibly components divisions depending on how the recession and government stimulus packages around the world are received.

TLDR: the wait is almost over. 🎶 don't worry, be happy 🎶

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
You all might think I'm crazy, but I kinda like a higher-priced PS5 because it grants me a better chance of them not being sold out at launch.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, we'll see a lot of cross-gen well past spring 2021.

I meant 2022. A year and a half. Wb Bethesda and Sony have already confirmed to do ditching cross gen for most of their titles in dev. Ea is working on a next gen only Battlefield for next fall, and Ubisoft jumped ship fast last gen.

It only takes a couple to get everyone to switch, because it will he impossible to compete when restrained by current tech.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Like 25% of Americans will be unemployed by the end of April. IDK Man I'd think the lowest price the better.

That's a terrible thing, sure, but I don't think that matters. There'll only be 5-6 million PS5's worldwide to go around the first six months, plenty of people will be able to afford the console at 499 - 549. The early shipments will easily sell out.

And anyway, these unemployed Americans wouldn't and shouldn't be buyung a luxury good that's priced at 399 instead of 549.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Just accept 499 and move on, especially in these times.

I'll also say if you're on this site as somewhat of an enthusiast, you'll pay that price. Or, you won't because you've just lost your job blah blah etc eitherway these are powerful boxes and the timing of them releasing only cements a more expensive price when they will be quite scarce.

PS4 stock took forever to come back in Europe, I remember November-March it was very hard to get a system

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
If this turns out to be true and people around the world will anticipate the limited quantities, I expect mass hysteria. Regardless of economic depression and launch price, that quantity will be gone by mid December.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
They could conceivably get around this by offering PlayStation 5 "exclusives" day one via PlayStation Now, but I don't foresee Sony doing that. Honestly, while I realize many people were really negative about Microsoft's decision to not commit to any Xbox Series X exclusives for the first year or so, it looks like Microsoft is taking the right approach when you consider potential supply issues AND higher potential price points. Microsoft's marketing could really embrace this sort of flexibility, as anyone who manages to get an Xbox Series X, anyone who already owns an Xbox One (or S or X) or anyone with an xCloud-compatible device can enjoy any game available on Xbox Series X unless third parties release next-gen exclusives.
It's hard to say if it's the right approach or not until we see the games. Of course everyone is going to analyze them to death and decide all on their own they are not true next gen titles no matter how good they look all because they won't be Series X exclusives. I think what matters most is having good content. We seen how well Nintendo did with its cross gen game Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Looking back did the PS4 launch titles explain why it did so well? Truth be told Series X is going to get the same third party content as the PS5, so if there is a next gen Ubisoft game or EA game it will there.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone in the U.K. Shopto are allowing you to register your interest and do a 'Placeholder Pre-order' already, just done one myself.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol This is nonsense. A well known and respected organization like Bloomberg News does not do controlled leaks

While his post is nonsense nearly all news reporting is controlled by corporations and governments. Nearly anything that gets printed is because they wanted it to be there. There is very little funding for investigate journalism.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
€549 would be a lot of money and would be tough to market considering they are "weaker" on paper specs.
Im still hoping we will get somewhere between €399/499.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
While his post is nonsense nearly all news reporting is controlled by corporations and governments. Nearly anything that gets printed is because they wanted it to be there. There is very little funding for investigate journalism.
I mean if you want to look at the big picture then yes corporate and government interests are everywhere, but we're talking about a video game console not some big political issue or controversy. There is little reason to think that this specific report is in bad faith.