Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Yeah I'd like that. Except the online part that only brings shit with it. Matchmaking, mtx worries, server shutdown, all that crap. Just make some cool npc opponents and all is good.
I guess I get the concern, but it'd be nice to have optional online play just for these mini games. Or even something like FFXV's multiplayer and have the whole open world available to do co-op with friends. Could have a character creator and a story justification like a tribe where most everyone has focuses and the ability to override machines.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a 3rd-party game, don't assume exclusivity.

There's always the chance it might be and stay that way for the foreseeable medium-term future. Like Persona or Yakuza. But it would hardly be surprising if it ain't.

Yeah, someone asked Phil Spencer if Microsoft would have any JRPGs at their conference and he said yes. I have a strong feeling he was talking about Granblue. It's not like it'd be surprising: Code Vein got its first Western appearance at their show. Unless they just hate Platinum, there aren't that many other JRPGs they could get IMO. Maybe Tales? Sony has KH3 and FF7: Remake on lock.

In some threads; such as this one and the Sony E3 ones, I've brought up how I would be somewhat disappointed if Sony didn't have more "new big stuff" to show beyond it's Fab 4 and some of you asked, like "who else could be developing games for Sony/etc etc"

The news that came out today for Avalanche working on Rage 2, or not too long ago; the announcement that PCF is working on a Square Enix game - are actually such examples. And Sony themselves tapped into KojPro and Insomniac to deliver 2 of their Fab 4s. =P

Regardless of the publisher, I've always believed that it is the publisher's responsibility to have a product release and announcement portfolio that's dense - if your internal teams have been largely tapped out, there are still external devs out there that could've been signed to work on your games in some capacity.

Set your expectations a little lower, I think. Ultimately 2018 is already packed, and 2019 looks fairly busy too. So are we talking 2020 games?

Oct 25, 2017
In some threads; such as this one and the Sony E3 ones, I've brought up how I would be somewhat disappointed if Sony didn't have more "new big stuff" to show beyond it's Fab 4 and some of you asked, like "who else could be developing games for Sony/etc etc"

The news that came out today for Avalanche working on Rage 2, or not too long ago; the announcement that PCF is working on a Square Enix game - are actually such examples. And Sony themselves tapped into KojPro and Insomniac to deliver 2 of their Fab 4s. =P

Regardless of the publisher, I've always believed that it is the publisher's responsibility to have a product release and announcement portfolio that's dense - if your internal teams have been largely tapped out, there are still external devs out there that could've been signed to work on your games in some capacity.

Tl;Dr

Sony x Platinum

Itshappening.gif

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017

I do agree that's incredibly silly and shortsighted to think that Sony couldn't possibly have a new exclusive just because the in-house teams are accounted for.

Many games on PS4 were/are collabs with outside devs: Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, Until Dawn, The Order 1886, Detroit, Death Stranding, etc.

While it may be wise not to expect new things, writing off the possibility is foolish.

Oct 25, 2017

Well Insomniac is an external developer and so is Kojima Productions. How many deals with external developers can we realistically expect to be in place at once?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

I still don't get your disappointment to be honest. Their exclusive lineup for the next couple of years is dense.

I would like more external developer partnerships as well but they're not going to release 4 or 5 AAA games in a single year.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Gross.

Would rather have a Sony x Atlus project.

I don't even know if that's necessarily possible. Atlus is owned by Sega which gives them a company that not only funds but also publishes all of their games. Would Sega allow another studio to own an IP created by Atlus? And i'd imagine that Sony would want Hashino's team to make it, and I can't imagine any scenario where Sega would allow that.

Platinum is an independent studio which means that anyone can contract them for work. So they're a much more realistic option for Sony than Atlus is.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
The fact that it uses the same baby as the last trailer suggests maybe it's more of a story trailer, instead of a new scene?

Personally I was hoping more for actual gameplay.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if the next what it's going to be the next Ready At Dawn game, they must show it this E3. Maybe another AAA for Sony? The Order 2? Savage Starlight? A brand new IP?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Well Insomniac is an external developer and so is Kojima Productions. How many deals with external developers can we realistically expect to be in place at once?
For reference, there was a point at the beginning of this gen when Sony would've had all these externally developed AAA games in some stage of development:
Ratchet & Clank 2016
Bloodborne
The Order: 1886
Everybody's Golf
Until Dawn
Detroit: Become Human
LittleBigPlanet 3
Tearaway Unfolded (co-developed by Mm and Tarsier)

That seems like a good number to me.

I don't even know if that's necessarily possible. Atlus is owned by Sega which gives them a company that not only funds but also publishes all of their games. Would Sega allow another studio to own an IP created by Atlus? And i'd imagine that Sony would want Hashino's team to make it, and I can't imagine any scenario where Sega would allow that.

Platinum is an independent studio which means that anyone can contract them for work. So they're a much more realistic option for Sony than Atlus is.
Nintendo and Atlus co-own Tokyo Mirage Sessions, so I'd assume they're somewhat okay with it. Plus on the western side, Creative Assembly and Relic have worked on first party titles for Microsoft (Halo Wars 2 and Age of Empires 4). It probably just depends on what kind of money the first party is willing to spend. But yeah, that's a far more complicated situation compared to simply contracting Platinum to develop a first party game.

My dream is Sony using their partnership with KojiPro to create a spiritual successor to Metal Gear Rising with Platinum.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I still don't get your disappointment to be honest. Their exclusive lineup for the next couple of years is dense.

A bulk of my complaint is stemmed more on the fact that they probably announced some of their games a little too early. In terms of quantity they're actually fine. I come to E3 mainly driven to see what new announcements publishers can deliver, so there is that bias.

At the moment, Sony have a solid assumed calendar that will comfortably support them this year and next year, contributed by their core teams. What I'm saying is that in the event Sony finds themselves in a 2014-like situation where their output suffers due to a dense 2013, I would hope that they work with new external partners to fill in the gaps and that is a good expectation to put on any publisher.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah definitely. HZD's side quests were still pretty good, so it'll be interesting to see how they improve.
The fact that they're hiring a combat designer is greatly pleasing to me. I'm hoping for someone that has worked on something like Soulsborne, Onimusha, Dragon's Dogma or even the new GoW. Horizon's melee was its greatest flaw in terms of combat but I'm hoping that can be rectified with a melee system that is simple but has moves that feel impactful and can be strung together. They should also incorporate manual climbing into the game- not to satisfy Zelda enthusiasts but rather to add increased verticality to the gameplay. It'd go a long way in increasing the sense that you are the hunter and everything else is prey; players could fashion ambushes on unsuspecting enemies or stealthily line the area with traps and have them do the work, only venturing down to collect loot and materials. The possibilities are nigh limitless.

the arena in the first game would have been a great spot for tournaments and mini games
Are you referring to the Colosseum/stadium at the end of the game? They really could've used that as the site of a Horde Mode while Aloy was disguised...hopefully something like it makes it into the next game. That's a huge missed opportunity in retrospect.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo and Atlus co-own Tokyo Mirage Sessions, so I'd assume they're somewhat okay with it. Plus on the western side, Creative Assembly and Relic have worked on first party titles for Microsoft (Halo Wars 2 and Age of Empires 4). It probably just depends on what kind of money the first party is willing to spend. But yeah, that's a far more complicated situation compared to simply contracting Platinum to develop a first party game.

My dream is Sony using their partnership with KojiPro to create a spiritual successor to Metal Gear Rising with Platinum.

While true, it's worth remembering that the deal was made before Atlus was purchased by Sega. That deal was apparently sealed in 2011 and the game was eventually announced in January 2013 while Sega purchased them in September. We'll have to see if they allow any collaborations like that going forward.

I still think Platinum is a more realistic choice. Platinum x Sony is something people have wanted to see for some time since they've worked with the other first party studios. I'd actually love tos ee what they could cook up together.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Having watched the footage, I don't see Days Gone being a 90+ game on Metacritic. I'd say low 80s.
you got that from alpha footage for a game that's a year away?

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
The fact that they're hiring a combat designer is greatly pleasing to me. I'm hoping for someone that has worked on something like Soulsborne, Onimusha, Dragon's Dogma or even the new GoW. Horizon's melee was its greatest flaw in terms of combat but I'm hoping that can be rectified with a melee system that is simple but has moves that feel impactful and can be strung together. They should also incorporate manual climbing into the game- not to satisfy Zelda enthusiasts but rather to add increased verticality to the gameplay. It'd go a long way in increasing the sense that you are the hunter and everything else is prey; players could fashion ambushes on unsuspecting enemies or stealthily line the area with traps and have them do the work, only venturing down to collect loot and materials. The possibilities are nigh limitless.
Yeah, improved melee would be great in the sequel, but the combat with the other weapons/tools is so good that I've never had a need or want to use the spear. What ever changes they make to melee, though, I hope it's nothing like the Soulsborne games. I also hope they never implement a stamina meter. I want improved traversal, but not like BotW. I'd rather something along the lines of AC: Origins.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I think hiring someone from Capcom or FromSoftware is a bit much (though maybe getting input from someone at KojiPro would be possible) but they should absolutely improve their melee mechanics.

I also think they should lean further into Monster Hunter and add some proper melee weapons into the game. It adds more variety than just having a dozen different bows and would let people who aren't interested in ranged combat have an option that suits them.

While true, it's worth remembering that the deal was made before Atlus was purchased by Sega. That deal was apparently sealed in 2011 and the game was eventually announced in January 2013 while Sega purchased them in September. We'll have to see if they allow any collaborations like that going forward.

I still think Platinum is a more realistic choice. Platinum x Sony is something people have wanted to see for some time since they've worked with the other first party studios. I'd actually love tos ee what they could cook up together.
That's a good point, I forgot the Sega purchase was that recent. They do let Nintendo use Bayonetta and collaborate with Nintendo on their Sonic and Mario Olympic Games but that's obviously a very different thing.

And yeah, I never said Platinum wasn't the more realistic choice.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has it been mentioned or theorized for TLoU pt.2 that the first trailer featuring Ellie was the present day and the second trailer was the past, possibly (likely) seen through the eyes of her mother, before Ellie's birth? Maybe her mother somehow died at the hands of the Marlene...which gave rise to the Fireflies and out of guilt she raised Ellie? Ellie somehow learns this truth and has set out to eradicate what remains of the fireflies.

Just a theory. I don't really follow speculation much around here so forgive me if someone has already proposed this. I say this because after recently re-watching both trailers, I realize that the military wouldn't stand for an armed cult inciting hysteria while they (the military) are trying to regain control...which leads me to the idea that the cult must be a defunct unit that has been eradicated by TLoU1. This coupled with the fact that they weren't ever mentioned in TLoU1 (I know that they may not have been thought of yet/exist in a entirely separate geographical location) reinforces this sentiment. It's also strange that a trailer would be dedicated entirely to characters that aren't Ellie or Joel.

Finally, people buying into the concept of individuals being "nested with sin" might be the biggest tell. The antagonist drew her knife and prepared to cut "something" out of the trailer's protagonist. Whether this was an unborn child or an uneducated attempt to cleanse the protagonist of the infection, we don't know for sure but I'd bet on one of them being inferred judging by the scene. If this was done to purge infection, it must have been while the infection was new and there was a lack of understanding concerning it and so impressionable people seeking a sense of relief, bought into this supposed answer. Don't know why I didn't consider this before.

I think it'd be an interesting way to tell a story if the game seamlessly interweaves between the journey of the mother and Ellie to illustrate how each journey concludes and how Ellie's mother's presence, or lack there of, created the woman who she is in TLoU pt.2 and what consequences it holds for her.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017

Atlus already did this with Nintendo with Tokyo Mirage Sessions in Wii U

Edit NVM you guys discussed about it

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, improved melee would be great in the sequel, but the combat with the other weapons/tools is so good that I've never had a need or want to use the spear. What ever changes they make to melee, though, I hope it's nothing like the Soulsborne games. I also hope they never implement a stamina meter. I want improved traversal, but not like BotW. I'd rather something along the lines of AC: Origins.
Yea, no stamina meter, that I agree with. I cite Soulsborne beause it itself has simplistic but fun combat with depth. It's hard for me to think of other games that have Soulsborne simplicity that haven't in turn been inspired by it.

Unlike some, I play Horizon like it's a Soulsborne game- I roll and take advantage of invincibility frames, and punish whatever attempted to attack me. So for me, I'd love a melee component that rewards players for standing toe-to-toe with the machines.

I think hiring someone from Capcom or FromSoftware is a bit much (though maybe getting input from someone at KojiPro would be possible) but they should absolutely improve their melee mechanics.

I also think they should lean further into Monster Hunter and add some proper melee weapons into the game. It adds more variety than just having a dozen different bows and would let people who aren't interested in ranged combat have an option that suits them.

Yea I'd like more melee weapons as well and I think I've thought of a suitable solution that I think would be super dope and hope Guerrilla reads this and implements it. Anyway, it's kinda Ironman-esque but Aloy would be toiling with Oldone tech and would create a collapsible, modular staff. When in use, it'd extend into a bo staff- it's default form but when you hack different machines you'd acquire new applications that are specific to that machine.

Once you've acquired a new application/program, you'd be free to use it and the staff would assume that form whenever you're in combat until you opt to switch it. Applications are machine specific and can range from a bo staff, polearm, warhammer, shield, long sword, short sword, eskrima, etc. - so until you encounter and hack a machine (and have the ability to hack said machine) of a particular type, you won't have access to certain melee tools.

In this way, Aloy wouldn't be stuck looking stupid carrying around a bunch of heavy weapons and they'd all be composed in one central tool. Also the applications the staff could select from and access on the fly would be limited to 3 initially but you can expand the device's memory throughout the game to bump up the number of quick switching apps to 5 and eventually 7 but all apps can be held on the staff once added to its directory. Hopefully you understand I'm trying to explain and I'm not just rambling.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
The side quests were good, but I think they did a much better job with them in the DLC. My hope for Horizon 2 is that it feels less like a completely solo journey for Aloy. She was doing all of it with no real support system and that kinda bummed me out. I doubt anyone else noticed or cared about that, but that was one of my takeaways.

I always liked doing the solo sort of thing, but there really is no harm in having side quests where she is supported more, like those akin to Erend's and Ikyrie's side quests.

Side quests was my biggest disappointment with Horizon.

That's fair. There is obvious room for improvement lol

Are you referring to the Colosseum/stadium at the end of the game? They really could've used that as the site of a Horde Mode while Aloy was disguised...hopefully something like it makes it into the next game. That's a huge missed opportunity in retrospect.

Yeah, melee is something loads complain about and it makes sense. Match it with the human combat and you've got a lot of obvious improvements that could make the overall combat even better. The Sun Ring having a horde mode would be amazing!

Oct 25, 2017
HZD2 should have Aloy with a son/daughter.

:3

I'm not joking, I would actually love some sort of Mother-son/daughter relationship in a game.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
HZD2 should have Aloy with a son/daughter.

:3

I'm not joking, I would actually love some sort of Mother-son/daughter relationship in a game.
People already say all Sony games are the same, this would give them ammunition to say all Sony games are just little people escort missions.

Idea might be good, however I don't know how that'd work
because Aloy is a robot.

Mr Bansal

Banned
May 14, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Bot/Spam Account
What's with all the resetera postings? It's pretty redundant to post a forum to another forum.Especially one as toxic as resetera....

Mod Edit: Removed links

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.