• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should we move to a new OT after E3?

• Yes

Votes: 412 47.9%
  • No

Votes: 95 11.0%
  • Wait for the Playstation 5

Votes: 354 41.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
HZD2 should have Aloy with a son/daughter.

:3

I'm not joking, I would actually love some sort of Mother-son/daughter relationship in a game.
giphy.gif

Dot Matrix

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Everybody's Tennis with a story mode like the psp game had would be great.
I loved that game, but it hurt playing on psp.
Hands down in my top 5 favorite psp games, loved the campaign and humor. A good sports game is endlessly re playable because good controls don't age. Although considering how poorly EBG:PS4 was handled, i don't think i want to see another of my beloved ip's get a micro transaction makeover :(.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't think a Sony/Atlus collaboration makes sense. Atlus takes forever to make their games, it's way too late in the generation to announce a team-up like that.

Do you really want to wait five years for an Atlus/Sony game for PS5? Because that's pretty much what it'd be.

Platinum and Level-5 I could see working with Sony as L5 has done it multiple times in the past and Platinum is desperate for work, but I just don't see how Atlus has the manpower or the time to do something like that and I don't see why Sony would sign them up now unless the goal is to have it ready for or near the PS5's launch.

I would hope that almost all projects Sony hasn't announced are going to be PS5 games. I think they have enough to get through 2019 now and possibly early 2020 with PS5 releasing in sometime 2020.

Deleted member 1326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope that almost all projects Sony hasn't announced are going to be PS5 games. I think they have enough to get through 2019 now and possibly early 2020 with PS5 releasing in sometime 2020.
If they are going for 2020 I think at least another big one for PS4 would be due. Or release WiLD in 2020 I guess.
If PS5 is 2019, they are fine, but a couple remakes or smaller games would be cool.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Depends on when they'd be announcing it. If it's a game they're announcing at this E3, it should still be a PS4 game. They shouldn't announce any next-gen titles until the PS5 is revealed. I don't want to hear empty jabbering about next-gen and "what we hope to accomplish with this partnership..." before the next console even has a hardware spec nailed down. Those kinds of pre-announcement "we might do a thing someday!" announcements always lead to disappointment (or cancellation) in the end.

Don't talk about them, don't announce the partnerships, don't tease or hint, just let the ideas cook while the hardware team figures out what the next machine is going to be. And then, once the hardware's locked down and the prospective project has been focused around those specs, by all means announce it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cory is going on a long vacation soon so the new game wont be started on for a while.

Good for him. Don't need him getting burned out like Straley did. Also he doesn't want to direct the next GOW so someone might already have assumed that role. I'm sure Santa Monica can get the ball rolling without him there to watch over everything either way. The groundwork has surely already been laid.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If they are going for 2020 I think at least another big one for PS4 would be due. Or release WiLD in 2020 I guess.
If PS5 is 2019, they are fine, but a couple remakes or smaller games would be cool.
I dunno. By the time february 2020 (if PS5 is that year) rolls in all eyes will be on next gen hype cycle (and the new batch of games supposedly announced at the console reveal). They can easily ride out the year with only one big PS4 title, that being Death Stranding. I also assume VII Remake will hit that year while seemingly being a timed exclusive.

I also wouldn't count out TLOU2 being early 2020 title.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on when they'd be announcing it. If it's a game they're announcing at this E3, it should still be a PS4 game. They shouldn't announce any next-gen titles until the PS5 is revealed. I don't want to hear empty jabbering about next-gen and "what we hope to accomplish with this partnership..." before the next console even has a hardware spec nailed down. Those kinds of pre-announcement "we might do a thing someday!" announcements always lead to disappointment (or cancellation) in the end.

Don't talk about them, don't announce the partnerships, don't tease or hint, just let the ideas cook while the hardware team figures out what the next machine is going to be. And then, once the hardware's locked down and the prospective project has been focused around those specs, by all means announce it.

That's probably why they framed the show the way they did. Most major unannounced internal projects will likely be next gen and not something they want to talk about.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's probably why they framed the show the way they did. Most major unannounced internal projects will likely be next gen and not something they want to talk about.

Pretty much. And there's certainly no reason to announce a game too early, especially when your console is aging and has plenty of games coming out and doesn't really need help selling. Sony's done that a lot, and they have to have learned by now that it's not a good idea.

But man, it would be really nice if they had one more top-secret exclusive for the PS4 to announce this year that completely flies against what they're going for with their current marquee titles.

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. By the time february 2020 (if PS5 is that year) rolls in all eyes will be on next gen hype cycle. They can easily ride out the year with only one big PS4 title, that being Death Stranding. I also assume VII Remake will hit that year while seemingly being a timed exclusive.

I also wouldn't count out TLOU2 being early 2020 title.

Yeah I think Death Stranding could easily slip to 2020. Days Gone, MLB The Show, TLOU2, GOT and Dreams(welps) is a stacked 2019. They can afford to push one game back and DS is probably the best candidate.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Then realms are straight sequel bait. That's why I laugh at ppl thinking they gonna waste for example Asgard on dlc

Def. not Asgard, 90% of the plot related events in the game hint at Asgard related intervention, no way that gets relegated to DLC.

But what about Vanaheim. That could be used to bridge into a sequel because of the characters we encounter in the game from that realm.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Def. not Asgard, 90% of the plot related events in the game hint at Asgard related intervention, no way that gets relegated to DLC.

But what about Vanaheim. That could be used to bridge into a sequel because of the characters we encounter in the game from that realm.

I thought Cory made it pretty clear they definitely weren't doing DLC at all for this game.

That being said, yeah...the realm map having several "this portal will never work" nodes definitely screamed sequel-bait to me.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Speaking of Guerrilla Games, Adam Dolin (previously narrative designer for God of War) and Rainbow Six Siege game director Simon Larouche both joined the studio.

NaOP7t1.jpg

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Speaking of Guerrilla Games, Adam Dolin (previously narrative designer for God of War) and Rainbow Six Siege game director Simon Larouche both joined the studio.

NaOP7t1.jpg

Very interesting. Who was the previous Game Director for Horizon? I thought Mathijs de Jonge was still GD.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder if SSM will go back to operating with 2 teams or stick with one team. It would be nice if SSM can work on the God of War sequel and a new IP.

kTHnv1P.jpg

Make that of what you will.

Very interesting. Who was the previous Game Director for Horizon? I thought Mathijs de Jonge was still GD.

Correct. Mathijs de Jonge served as game director for Horizon ZD.

Yes for someone from god of war joining the guerrilla team for horizon 2! Now, if we can get a combat person from gow to go as well.... I'm sure they could do wonders to horizon's melee system!

Lol calma he joined the writing team.

Things I did not expect to see when checking Resetera.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

NaOP7t1.jpg
Yes for someone from god of war joining the guerrilla team for horizon 2! Now, if we can get a combat person from gow to go as well.... I'm sure they could do wonders to horizon's melee system!

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony are indeed in the planning stages for the PS5 I'd imagine they would want to learn from both the Vita and PS4 launch years and how they ended up. Vita had an absolute blitz of games from 1st party in the first few months, in fact I'd argue way too many, Modnation Racers and Wipeout overlap in the arcade racing genre (Granted they were different styles of arcade racer but audiences interested in both games would only end up getting one of them most likely, certainly in my case), and it also affected the quality of the games and therefore their sales and reception.

PS4 on the other hand had a slow release schedule that took longer than expected to hit it's rythm. Driveclub's delay didn't help matters too much along with restarting Uncharted 4's development.

So I think for PS5 they'll aim for a clear schedule of when their first party titles will launch so as to avoid overlap and release in the traditionally quieter months so they get the most attention. It was something they stumbled upon by accident given delays but it's worked out in their favour before.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Its not really common tho is it? Its usually a Director and then there is a Creative Director.

Yeah that's the usual route, but Guerrilla already doesnt use that structure. They dont have a creative director

They have multiple directors form a board for creative decisions. Mathijs was game director, JB was art director, John was narrative director and Michiel was technical director, together they lead the project

So IDK, maybe they are adding one more to that board.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
But Dead Rising 4 nor the upcoming Dead Rising 5 (got scaled back) will have that though? So your expectation were wrong :p
seeing how much time was spent on each and how Capcom Vancouver was hit with a slew of cuts to the personnel leading up to the next one I am not surprised at all. The zombie movement in Days Gone also wouldnt really fit the more arcadey nature of DeadRising. From what we have seen the only difference really between the two is the speed of the zombies, higher amount of them in Days Gone and thats kinda it.

(also pretty sure if we go by MS meaning DS4 was AAA but Days Gone would be AAAA title which means quite a bit.)

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Umm if no one else is/has done it, by definition it is groundbreaking. For all this "of course now it should be possible" talk, trying to downplay what the game is doing when no one else has done is kinda odd
groundbreaking is pioneering and/or innovating. I personally wouldn't really call this pioneering, maybe innovating? buts its literally so far just more and faster.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It was at the very least supposed to be announced in 2014 I think. IIRC SSM had two teams back then. Stig's team had been working on it since they wrapped up God of War 3 in 2010? Something like that.
Announced in 2014 would make a lot more sense. I don't think SSM ever had two full teams though, I believe it was more of a 1.5 team structure like Naughty Dog's.

Japanese studios other than From that Japan Studio has worked with in some capacity on this gen and hence have some level of relationship with include genDesign, Clap Hanz, Media.Vision, Racjin, Q games, and Aquire. If you also include Vita, then Shift, Dimps, Marvelous, Comcept, and Alfa System. Also Enhance Games kind of.
Of those I think new collaborations with Shift, Aquire, genDesign, and Clap Hanz are likely.
This. Everyone's shouting out their Atlus, Platinum and Level 5 dreams when in reality it's far more likely Japan Studio are working with devs they're familiar with. Assuming oldsnakeonline's source is accurate, then I'd put money on the second collaboration being with Acquire, as they've been working with Japan Studio for over a decade.

I'd be surprised if Japan Studio only has two external projects in the works though, that doesn't seem like much when it wasn't so long ago they would've had at least four external projects in development (Bloodborne, Tomorrow Children, Everybody's Golf and No Heroes Allowed VR).

Oh right I forgot. Monkey King: Hero is Back is currently being developed by Japan Studio, Oasis Games, and HexaDrive. That looks semiAAAish.
Pretty sure Japan Studio doesn't have much to do with that, DualShockers are the only ones who reported it and I wouldn't really trust them to get facts right. WWS is just publishing it.

Things I did not expect to see when checking Resetera.
lol

Yeah that's the usual route, but Guerrilla already doesnt use that structure. They dont have a creative director

They have multiple directors form a board for creative decisions. Mathijs was game director, JB was art director, John was narrative director and Michiel was technical director, together they lead the project

So IDK, maybe they are adding one more to that board.
I wouldn't really say that's the usual route, Naughty Dog's structure is just the most well known, at least in this circle.

But yeah, I'd assume he's just joining the creative team. Maybe he's leading up a multiplayer mode in the sequel? We'll have to wait and see.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Honestly, after Horizon i wishe they never come back to Killzone and move forwad with a new ip.
Horizon was a solid 9/10 game for me and I loved it, but just imagine a GoW-like reboot for Killzone.

I not a big fan of first person shooters. In fact I hate them compare to the third person story driven shooter games. But Killzone 2 was something special. I would love to see a high quality Killzone from them this gen, then Horizon 2 and their new IP on PS5.

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony are indeed in the planning stages for the PS5 I'd imagine they would want to learn from both the Vita and PS4 launch years and how they ended up. Vita had an absolute blitz of games from 1st party in the first few months, in fact I'd argue way too many, Modnation Racers and Wipeout overlap in the arcade racing genre (Granted they were different styles of arcade racer but audiences interested in both games would only end up getting one of them most likely, certainly in my case), and it also affected the quality of the games and therefore their sales and reception.

PS4 on the other hand had a slow release schedule that took longer than expected to hit it's rythm. Driveclub's delay didn't help matters too much along with restarting Uncharted 4's development.

So I think for PS5 they'll aim for a clear schedule of when their first party titles will launch so as to avoid overlap and release in the traditionally quieter months so they get the most attention. It was something they stumbled upon by accident given delays but it's worked out in their favour before.
Somewhere between the PS4 and Vita's launch lineup would be a good start for the PS5. In addition, with the presumed PS4 BC, that will also help tide things over and avoid another Puppeteer-like situation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Herman Hulst said something like the league of extraordinary Gentleman -Shooter, more Open Areas, similar to The Order 1886 from the Setting and Vibe(iirc)

Considering we're never gonna see a new Bloodborne, I really wish. I really wish we could just get a supernatural-based horror/action game out of Sony that isn't a shooter.

Folklore was such a cool idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.