Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaneOsprey123

May 7, 2020
Don't mind me, just making the classic "lol this thread is basically our own Silent Hill at this point" comment even though it's been said to death and it's just as redundant as ever.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I will say is this.

If, and this is a big IF, they can pull this off with this bonkers arrangement, then I have faith that someone might one day be able to do something with the tangled web of fuckery that is the Legacy of Kain IP.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't even know what I want, so no expectations here. Just make a damn game that's actually great and has "Silent Hill" in the title. It's the least someone could ask for at this point.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I don't even know what I want, so no expectations here. Just make a damn game that's actually great and has "Silent Hill" in the title. It's the least someone could ask for at this point.

What if they give it back to Double Helix though?

I'd rather not get Homecoming Part 2. Just kill the series if that's the case honestly

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
The lad in charge of IPs management at Konami is grinning daily while checking this thread as he still hasn't heard about the slightest hint of a deal going on.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What I will say is this.

If, and this is a big IF, they can pull this off with this bonkers arrangement, then I have faith that someone might one day be able to do something with the tangled web of fuckery that is the Legacy of Kain IP.
LoK is simple. It belonged to Crystal Dynamics, who was bought by Eidos, who was bought by Squeeenix.

The only "tangled" bit are the IP rights for the PC version of Blood Omen- it was published by Activision, and the IP rights to "Blood Omen" only were awarded to Silicon Knights (that's gone bankrupt after losing the "Too Human" lawsuit to Epic), while Crystal Dynamics owns Legacy of Kain IP as a whole.

The problem, of course, is that LoK is a series that never knew what it wanted to be, gameplay wise. It was 100% carried by its story + amazing VAs, and the only way to really recreate that is to get Amy Henning back... IF she ever wants to.

I adore LoK, Blood Omen is one of the formative games of my childhood (and I would do unspeakable things for PC re-release of Blood Omen), but.... that series is dead. Squeeenix has no idea what to do with its iconic Eidos properties, and LoK is one they probably don't even remember existing.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LoK is simple. It belonged to Crystal Dynamics, who was bought by Eidos, who was bought by Squeeenix.

The only "tangled" bit are the IP rights for the PC version of Blood Omen- it was published by Activision, and the IP rights to "Blood Omen" only were awarded to Silicon Knights (that's gone bankrupt after losing the "Too Human" lawsuit to Epic), while Crystal Dynamics owns Legacy of Kain IP as a whole.

The problem, of course, is that LoK is a series that never knew what it wanted to be, gameplay wise. It was 100% carried by its story + amazing VAs, and the only way to really recreate that is to get Amy Henning back... IF she ever wants to.

I adore LoK, Blood Omen is one of the formative games of my childhood (and I would do unspeakable things for PC re-release of Blood Omen), but.... that series is dead. Squeeenix has no idea what to do with its iconic Eidos properties, and LoK is one they probably don't even remember existing.

And does anyone really want LoK without Amy Hennig? With her heading Skydance, it seems next to impossible

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
And does anyone really want LoK without Amy Hennig? With her heading Skydance, it seems next to impossible
Honestly, I just want closure. Raziel's gone, I'm cool with that (I was always a Kain fan anyways, because, OG Blood Omen is and was, the best). I just need Kain ending the curse(s) and restoring the pillars to the vampires. maybe Hylden can catch a break and get a fresh start, if the Seer is still around to make them, y'know, less evil.

The original premise for Dark Prophecy (alternate playing Young and Old Kain) would actually fit an open-world Nosgoth formula. Basically re-imagining the Blood Omen map, but a 3D action-adventure, where Young Kain is building his army to take over (and then BO2 happens, and then he has to do it again, but with Raziel + the rest of his brothers this time), while Old Kain timehops around, using the Reaver to change history again and again.
-but yeah, Crystal is a Tomb Raider factory now (also, Avengers), so LoK's dead. My one hope for a while was the Squeeenix Collective initiative- I was hoping they might get an indie pitch for LoK and give some brand new studio a shot at the series- but apparently, that's been folded as well.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
So are Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka just consultants, or are they actually involved in the art direction and score?

I'm aware they have been freelance for the last several years.

But after seeing that...

... i'm not even sure i want it.

I want a game with Silent Hill atmosphere, the name or storyline in relation to previous games is not important for me.

You have to read Masahiro Ito's other tweets for context. When he says "Not a sequel" and "I won't make the atmosphere like SH1, SH2, or SH3", he means that it won't return to the atmosphere/concept of a previous game like Silent Hill 3 did.

It would have its own feeling and concept, just like Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 4, the defunct Silent Hill 5, P.T., and every other Japanese-made sequel. Remember, a lot of people complained when those came out (Silent Hill 5 aside) specifically because they weren't "close enough" to the previous games in story and tone.

Which is a good thing. Aren't you tired of them reusing the same red rust Otherworld with sirens (which is only relevant to Alessa) over and over, or regurgitating James Sunderland's story arc in every single game with some version of Pyramid Head? There is more to Silent Hill than just the same two overplayed stories.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
So are Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka just consultants, or are they actually involved in the art direction and score?

You have to read Masahiro Ito's other tweets for context. When he says "Not a sequel" and "I won't make the atmosphere like SH1, SH2, or SH3", he means that it won't return to the atmosphere/concept of a previous game like Silent Hill 3 did.

It would have its own feeling and concept, just like Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 4, the defunct Silent Hill 5, P.T., and every other Japanese-made sequel. Remember, a lot of people complained when those came out (Silent Hill 5 aside) specifically because they weren't "close enough" to the previous games in story and tone.

Which is a good thing. Aren't you tired of them reusing the same red rust Otherworld with sirens (which is only relevant to Alessa) over and over, or regurgitating James Sunderland's story arc in every single game with some version of Pyramid Head? There is more to Silent Hill than just the same two overplayed stories.
They're involved.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020

tenor.gif

addik

Oct 28, 2017

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

Years have gone since i played silent hill. I'm in no way tired of them.
Wasn't SH1 and 2 kinda the same? Both played in Silent Hill (Township).
Silent Hill 3 was in an amusement park and a shopping center, that was different.
Silent Hill 4 was the room in the city, that was the last game i played.

I loved SH1-3, The Room was not really to my liking.

I would love to have a new Silent Hill that plays in the township of Silent Hill, with fog, mist.
It should be a open world horror survival game.
Surely that foghorn and the changing world should be part of it.
The Hell world should be again dark and gritty.
I don't really need pyramid head, it could be some sort of a different "big monster".
The monster design was great, i don't really want any different design.

No, i'm not tired of that. That is Silent Hill for me, and it has been years for me.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is something supposed to be happening tomorrow? I haven't really kept up.

If this thread does get locked at least I can stop looking at people's shitty drive-by posts.

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana
Is something supposed to be happening tomorrow? I haven't really kept up.

If this thread does get locked at least I can stop looking at people's shitty drive-by posts.
I think the thread will be locked since it's the last day of August. There should be a PS5 event of some sort in the coming weeks. So if Silent Hill shows up the thread will probably get unlocked at that point.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's been a wild ride, folks.
I'll miss this thread, but I'll look forward to (hopefully) the confirmation thread! 🤘

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Unless something major happens tomorrow, this thread will be locked for preservation come Sept.
Really dislike this decision. It's an ongoing rumor that several people clearly want to continue talking about and something gets updated or said new about it every few days. I mean, we had MAJOR development on it just between yesterday and today. Thread's existence is part of the fun and where most of the information about this has come from. Taking it away is taking away the primary source of discussion surrounding it.

Darkknight2149

Banned
May 27, 2020
Years have gone since i played silent hill. I'm in no way tired of them.
Wasn't SH1 and 2 kinda the same? Both played in Silent Hill (Township).
Silent Hill 3 was in an amusement park and a shopping center, that was different.
Silent Hill 4 was the room in the city, that was the last game i played.

I loved SH1-3, The Room was not really to my liking.

I would love to have a new Silent Hill that plays in the township of Silent Hill, with fog, mist.
It should be a open world horror survival game.
Surely that foghorn and the changing world should be part of it.
The Hell world should be again dark and gritty.
I don't really need pyramid head, it could be some sort of a different "big monster".
The monster design was great, i don't really want any different design.

No, i'm not tired of that. That is Silent Hill for me, and it has been years for me.

You misunderstand. For perspective:
  • The story/atmosphere in Silent Hill 2 was not the same as in Silent Hill (1999).
  • The atmosphere in Silent Hill 4 was not the same as in Silent Hill 1 or 2.
  • The atmosphere in Silent Hill 5 was not going to be the same as in Silent Hill 1-4.
All of the Team Silent games (and even Silent Hills) have had a similar "feeling", but a different story and atmosphere. The new game would have that Silent Hill feeling (with psychological horror, great art/creature, ETC), but it would have its own identity just like the other Team Silent sequels.

The only sequel to return to the concept/atmosphere of an earlier game was Silent Hill 3, and that was not what they originally planned. They gave into fan demand at the time after Konami wasted the budget and production time trying to turn it into a rail shooter, which caused them to postpone their plans to Silent Hill 5.

Likewise, my "aren't you tired of?" comment was specifically referring to the western games flanderising the series by copying the plot of the first two games over and over. Some examples:
  • Pyramid Head, the Lying Figures, and the Bubble Head Nurses (regardless of what they are called) only belong in the second game. They are manifestations of James' subconscious.
  • The Otherworld is shaped by a character's subconscious. But because of the movie, the industrial red rust Otherworld (which only applies to Alessa and was influenced by her burning) has been re-used in all of the western games to the point of not even being scary anymore. It has basically turned into "Otherworld: The Generic Flavour."
  • The town has nothing to do with helping people through their "issues" or punishing the guilty. In Silent Hill 2, James desired to be punished because of his guilt, so his Otherworld reflected that aspect of his psyche. There is honestly no reason to keep going through the plot of Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 beat for beat.
  • Most of the western games even have the same plot twist as the second game, and there is almost always an ending where the player character turns into the game's version of Pyramid Head (Travis into the Butcher, Alex into Pyramid Head, Murphy into the Boogeyman). It's not original anymore.
There is a lot more to Silent Hill lore than just that, and there is so much more that can be done with the series. Team Silent realised that, Kojima and Del Toro realised that, and it appears Masahiro Ito feels the same way.

After all, if every sequel was a repeat of the first game, we never would have got Silent Hill 2.

Last edited:

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Really dislike this decision. It's an ongoing rumor that several people clearly want to continue talking about and something gets updated or said new about it every few days. I mean, we had MAJOR development on it just between yesterday and today. Thread's existence is part of the fun and where most of the information about this has come from. Taking it away is taking away the primary source of discussion surrounding it.
We didn't have shit. This thread has been going on by the same info we've had since Katharsis appeared.

If anything, we had the oddly specific % for Konami, which didn't add anything to the conversation (I mean, aside from suspicion).

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Thanks for all the fun, KatharsisT! I'm hoping the rumor is true and we will get the announcement soon. But thanks for making this thread such a roller coaster ride!
Thank you for everything. And sorry if someyimes I'm a bit too "passionate" lol
We been waiting for far too long
Although I was a little late to the party (this particular thread), it's definitely been fun!

Thank you!

It'll feel a bit like this when it's closed though...

main-qimg-477edfa1862ebda7742b5e4bc1694242
<3

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Aw nuts.

I love checking in on this thread often, it's always good fun to read. You know, apart from people being arses at people who gave us the information in the first place.

Can't we just chain ourselves to the thread? Put gum in the lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.