• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing some people say this "reveal" was poor compared to XSX but that Instagram post is all you need to know.

Most of the world do not follow gaming news so Instagram and Twitter posts today will be the first time they hear about PS5. That's all they needed to do to build hype.

Anyone who calls this a "reveal" is a joke.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
UeIq8rY.png

I want this!
This should have been the logo. Simple yet iconic. With a dash of colour to spruce things up.

The PS3 Slim, PS4 and now PS5 logos look so ugly and unappealing to me.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy about the haptic triggers, it's such a cool feature of the X1 controllers but not enough games utilize it.

Now hopefully it should be standard on multiplatform games.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
This should have been the logo. Simple yet iconic. With a dash of colour to spruce things up.

The PS3 Slim, PS4 and now PS5 logos look so ugly and unappealing to me.
The problem with PS2 font is that you literally cannot make the number 5 in it that doesn't look more like letter S than its actual letter S does. At least with this more rounded font this is possible to do, even if it results in a look that's incongruent with letter S.

JustP_Gaming

Jan 5, 2018
I will not say anything negative. other then they are really going on there own timeline or they are really not ready with the box.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with PS2 font is that you literally cannot make the number 5 in it that doesn't look more like letter S than its actual letter S does. At least with this more rounded font this is possible to do, even if it results on a look that's incongruent with letter S.
If you look at the image, both the S and the 5 look distinctly different. You can quickly tell which is which by the comparison alone. So I don't think it would be much a problem.

That mix of curves and angles in the current logo though... Urgh! My brain feels very attacked.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume that this post was weird satire and that you're not actually that childish.

Childish about what?

A bunch of people are saying it's disappointing compared to the X1 TGA reveal.

That was an actual reveal.

This was just a (obvious) logo drop. The reveal is yet to come.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao at the salty posts in here.. Sony will reveal their console when the time is right for them..

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty crazy that this logo that was introduced for the slim PS3 has stuck around for more than a decade.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so happy about the haptic triggers, it's such a cool feature of the X1 controllers but not enough games utilize it.

Now hopefully it should be standard on multiplatform games.

Resistive triggers, new haptics in the controller. They talked about them in the Wired article. They don't sound like what the Xbox One controller has but rather the ability for game devs to provide varying levels of resistance when you go to pull a trigger.

The haptics sound like HD Rumble that the Switch has.

What is 3D Audio Sound?

Dolby Atmos. Sound is placed and played back in a physically correct way.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
If you look at the image, both the S and the 5 look distinctly different. You can quickly tell which is which by the comparison alone. So I don't think it would be much a problem.

That mix of curves and angles in the current logo though... Urgh! My brain feels very attacked.
I agree - they look different, but 5 looks more like S than the actual S does. Then, I also think it's a little weird that 5 and S look so different in the same font - which is of course the problem in this rounded one also. And yes, I agree with you, the mix of curves and angles in this logo does feel a bit weird. Basically I think they've painted themselves into a corner a bit with this type of font.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The logo is fine. Boring and expected but fine.

However, didn't Sony tweet recently that this week would show "The future of PlayStation" or something?

If so, and a damn LOGO is what they meant, then fucking LOL.

Show the damn console Sony! And a game or two!

The whole silence act for the last 1+ years has, to me, not been sufficient. Microsoft isout for blood next gen and s this is starting to remind me of the whole arrogant PS3 "the next gen starts when we say so".

in the end, as long as the PS5 is affordable and has great games, it will do fine. But arrogant Sony is worst Sony. I hope they don't head into next gen with the wrong mindset. They will have a true competitor this time around (I don't count Nintendo - they match to the best of their own tune and I love them).

Maybe we will get some substantive information at the February PSMeeting :)

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they showed something I guess, which is more than I thought.

But when you think of everything about the Playstation 5 that can be announced, the logo (knowing that it falls in line with all the other Playstations) is LITERALLY the least exciting possible thing they could have announced.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The logo is fine. Boring and expected but fine.

However, didn't Sony tweet recently that this week would show "The future of PlayStation" or something?

If so, and a damn LOGO is what they meant, then fucking LOL.

Show the damn console Sony! And a game or two!

The whole silence act for the last 1+ years has, to me, not been sufficient. Microsoft isout for blood next gen and s this is starting to remind me of the whole arrogant PS3 "the next gen starts when we say so".

in the end, as long as the PS5 is affordable and has great games, it will do fine. But arrogant Sony is worst Sony. I hope they don't head into next gen with the wrong mindset. They will have a true competitor this time around (I don't count Nintendo - they match to the best of their own tune and I love them).

Maybe we will get some substantive information at the February PSMeeting :)
Why show the logo now?

Games, controller and more info during PS reveal and the price, date and console at E3 like they did with PS4.

Also 9 pages for a fucking logo :S

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they showed something I guess, which is more than I thought.

But when you think of everything about the Playstation 5 that can be announced, the logo (knowing that it falls in line with all the other Playstations) is LITERALLY the least exciting possible thing they could have announced.

1.6 million instagram users would disagree with you.

And the fact that this thread is already 9 pages long speaks volumes...