• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Global Warming are you still a thing? I hope at least manufacturing was carbon neutral...

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
That's an expensive move. I freight stuff around the world semi-regularly (not millions of consoles obviously) and sea freight is a lot cheaper than air freight. Just takes fucking ages.
they found a sugar mama so they can get some PS5's

Putting a Heist team together to Hijack a plane and deliver PS5s to everyone on Era
i ain't trusting you nikka, you'd steal them sell em to me then steal them and sell them to someone else! i'm on to you JC!

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
The Playstation invasion

1223392542585814629.jpg

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Seeing this and the thread about the yield issues makes this seem more like a negative than a positive to me.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This sounds like very normal supply chain stuff.

It's actually not. At least not in the age of covid. Some, not all, air freight is shipped along with your normal air travel. The rates for shipping that way are relatively cheap. With far fewer passenger flights being flown, costs have gone up (sometimes doubled).

So Sony is likely dealing with relatively high shipping costs along with low wafer yields. This makes Wednesdays announcement even more exciting.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I'm wondering if this news ties itself with the news of bad chip yields for the PS5.

If those news are true, Sony has been dealing with production problems, which could mean that they didn't get as many units out through "normal" means (ships), and had to resort to air to make sure retail would have it's supply come November.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if they ship way more digital consoles than disc consoles at launch in order to try and make back some of that money on digital sales.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense when you wanna come out strong and know you're going to sell a shitload of systems.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
maybe because commercial flights and air travel is basically non-existence during Covid-19 so Delta basically gave sony a major discount on this service to at least earn some money during these downtimes.

It's not like those planes and pilots are doing anything.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone make that image of Phil Spencer xbox series x bazooka plane full of ps5s. I think it's the interview movie

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I remember when they did this for the PS2 in New Zealand and they had police or security at the runway protecting the shipment.

Inside

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
The company I work for produces almost all our products in china. sometimes we are behind schedule and have to use air freight to reach our launch window. As I remember, the last time we had to do this the best quote we got was 20 RMB (USD 3) per kg we wanted to fly. So lets assume this:

A 747 has a maximum cargo payload of 112,760 kg
The weight of 1 PS5: 4.78 kg

it means each PS5 will cost USD 14,34 in air freight
Each plane will cost USD 338.280
Each plane can hold 23589 PS5 consoles

In total 60 flights will be 1.415.397 consoles to USA.
In total 60 flights will cost Sony 20 million USD.

Its not that bad a cost for reaching the launch window with enough consoles! But above does not take the volume of each box into consideration.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Thats some carbon footprint
Yup, but hey, at least we have our new toys!

Actually, I thought the same and thought I'd look up the difference between air freight and sea freight and found multiple sites coming to about the same conclusion as this one: https://www.sourcinghub.io/air-freight-vs-sea-freight-carbon-footprint/

Ocean Freight is better for the environment from a Carbon emission point of view, but in terms of total emission, both are about roughly equal. It's hard to give an edge to air or sea shipping as they emit different types of pollutants at different volumes and in different ways. Determining the freight carbon footprint is east as shipping is much less intensive, but the total emissions and environmental impact is much harder to define.

If your business is on the fence about choosing between ocean freight and air freight, there are benefits and downsides to both. Airfreight is generally the more significant pollutant, but it can cut down on the travel time by a considerable margin.

Then again, apparently the amount of sulfur that ships can emit has apparently been significantly lowered this year: https://www.wagenborg.com/cases/sul...u-need-to-know-about-the-upcoming-regulations

Also, shipping apparently isn't a big part of the total Carbon emission of most products, but still, every bit helps. I'll keep onto my PS4 for a few years at least.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
The company I work for produces almost all our products in china. sometimes we are behind schedule and have to use air freight to reach our launch window. As I remember, the last time we had to do this the best quote we got was 20 RMB (USD 3) per kg we wanted to fly. So lets assume this:

A 747 has a maximum cargo payload of 112,760 kg
The weight of 1 PS5: 4.78 kg

it means each PS5 will cost USD 14,34 in air freight
Each plane will cost USD 338.280
Each plane can hold 23589 PS5 consoles

In total 60 flights will be 1.415.397 consoles to USA.
In total 60 flights will cost Sony 20 million USD.

Its not that bad a cost for reaching the launch window with enough consoles! But above does not take the volume of each box into consideration.

That's a lot of shipping cost. But I guess you budget for some of it at least. It's one of their biggest product launches in, what, seven years?

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
You realise that the thread you are linking essentially backs the info in here right? Sony would have to use air freight exactly because they can't have enough consoles in time to use a different (slower) shipping method. Basically, they are trying to minimise the time between manufacturing and store availability by using air freight.

Oct 27, 2017
You realise that the thread you are linking essentially backs the info in here right? Sony would have to use air freight exactly because they can't have enough consoles in time to use a different (slower) shipping method. Basically, they are trying to minimise the time between manufacturing and store availability by using air freight.

That's what I'm thinking. They are using all available resources for allocation in the United States for launch. That's what a smart company in what seems to be a bind does. Otherwise, you ship the cheaper way.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
That's what I'm thinking. They are using all available resources for allocation in the United States for launch. That's what a smart company in what seems to be a bind does. Otherwise, you ship the cheaper way.
This is an extremely common practice with all popular product launches. Apple has been doing this for years with all Gen1 products (e.g. first iPhones, Apple Watch series 0, MacBook Pro 16" etc). It's important for companies to have their products available as soon as possible and also claim records such as "best selling device ever". Smaller companies are way more conservative because they don't want to pay tons for shipping and even announce products AFTER they've shipped to the stores. That's why sometimes you get very detailed leaks and even actual hardware photos from less popular devices. Because those devices are already in the country waiting to be sold.

Oct 27, 2017
This is an extremely common practice with all popular product launches. Apple has been doing this for years with all Gen1 products (e.g. first iPhones, Apple Watch series 0, MacBook Pro 16" etc). It's important for companies to have their products available as soon as possible and also claim records such as "best selling device ever".

Could be wrong but a company isn't going to purposely spend more money to have product on shelves if a cheaper method exists. The rationale for not using the usual freight method seems to imply the amount of time it takes to ship by water is not quick enough to get to the states. Sony didn't just start building these in August. These may be some hot off the assembly line type ps5s.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I vaguely remember reading about it. Then again I also remember reading about it for the PS3 and possibly even the PS2, so might be common for Sony to do this during the launch of their new consoles.
I'm sure they had to do it once they had that fire in their PS2 Slim production factory.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Could be wrong but a company isn't going to purposely spend more money to have product on shelves if a cheaper method exists. The rationale for not using the usual freight method seems to imply the amount of time it takes to ship by water is not quick enough to get to the states. Sony didn't just start building these in August. These may be some hot off the assembly line type ps5s.
Air freight is always used on products with specific launch dates that have to be met no matter what. Some companies don't care much about the timing thus announce availability once the devices are assembled and shipped. In this case, Sony has to meet the holiday season (for many reasons including competition and software spending) but reportedly has yield issues, so they have to spend more in shipping. Launch devices are always more expensive to companies exactly because of lower yields and expensive shipping, it just appears that this time the situation is even worse for Sony, especially since they are aiming for an overall faster conversion rate.