Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Don't companies have a fine print that they can cancel/change these at anytime they want to for any reason stated in their T&C?

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people in here are delusional if you think a company has to honour a pricing error online.

I'd love to know how much you would all still demand it if it was you selling an item on eBay or something similar.

Also folks who think this is a defence of Sony over Microsoft need to grow the hell up. We're all human and often we make mistakes, sure it would be nice to honour pricing errors but if you strike it lucky with getting the error price then good for you but to demand that price and expect a company to honour it is just flat out wrong. I've worked at multiple online stores and pricing errors occur a lot (try maintaining millions of SKUs).
good thing this isn't about someone selling something on ebay

Last edited:

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Here in Mexico we have something called PROFECO, it's job is to protect consumers from bad practices and make companies honor the prices even if they were clearly a mistake, but sometimes it gets out of hand, for example...

A certain chain had a Smart TV at 10.999MXN instead of 10,999MXN, so people started arguing that the TVs were at 10MXN instead of 10999MXN, complained with PROFECO and the chain was forced to sell them the TVs at 10MXN

It has happende a lot with TVs, computers, phones, etc... so yeah, they will force Sony to honor those prices
That's nuts xD. I wonder if this case would be any different since we are talking about preorders and not actual purchases. And if not, I think someone is going to be fired at Sony Mexico xD.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
good thing this isn't about someone selling something on ebay
The point still stands.....

If you list your item up as $399.99 instead of $3999.99 then you'd be lawfully told to sell it for that and you think that's ok?

The law on it is stupid and sure you can "stick it to those big corporations" but the reality is it was one / teams fault and they would be held accountable and likely lose their job / disciplinary action from it.

Oct 27, 2017
If you list your item up as $399.99 instead of $3999.99 then you'd be lawfully told to sell it for that and you think that's ok?
yes
he law on it is stupid and sure you can "stick it to those big corporations" but the reality is it was one / teams fault and they would be held accountable and likely lose their job / disciplinary action from it.
we see companies fire people even when they are getting record profits so.....

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country

The law on it is stupid and sure you can "stick it to those big corporations" but the reality is it was one / teams fault and they would be held accountable and likely lose their job / disciplinary action from it.
That's NOT what happened, it was an intentional discount. You can see the "-30%". It wasn't a typographic mistake.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Laws that protect consumer is a lesson US should take from countries like Mexico and Europe.
I'm all for protecting consumers, but I'm not cool with taking a huge loss from a mistake. Sure, Sony is a big rich corporation... but that could literally happen to anyone including small start ups.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
A lot of people in here are delusional if you think a company has to honour a pricing error online.

I'd love to know how much you would all still demand it if it was you selling an item on eBay or something similar.

Also folks who think this is a defence of Sony over Microsoft need to grow the hell up. We're all human and often we make mistakes, sure it would be nice to honour pricing errors but if you strike it lucky with getting the error price then good for you but to demand that price and expect a company to honour it is just flat out wrong. I've worked at multiple online stores and pricing errors occur a lot (try maintaining millions of SKUs).
Delusional? In most of the countries there are consumer protection laws for cases like this. Sorry you don't live in one.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Laws that protect consumer is a lesson US should take from countries like Mexico and Europe.

Yeaaahhh, I'd say enforcing laws that could severely impact or outright bankrupt a retailer over a clerical mistake is less a matter of "consumer protection" and more a matter of "consumer entitlement."

I'm all for the idea of retailers owning up to mistakes, but if the scenario mentioned previously is common practice? That's a surefire way of ensuring stunted economic growth. There has to be a balance that permits retailers to make mistakes with some consequence and allowing consumers to not be victims to malicious practices.

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
Delusional? In most of the countries there are consumer protection laws for cases like this. Sorry you don't live in one.
I have plenty of consumer laws in my country thanks. The fact is it also allows for companies to withdraw promotions that were put up in error / by mistake.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

There are no consumers being "protected" here. People jumped on a pricing error (almost certainly knowing it was a mistake); the retailer realized the error, and cancelled the orders.

If you want to celebrate this as "sticking it to the man" or whatever, then go ahead - at least that's honest. I honestly don't really care whether they have to honour the erroneous price. But calling it consumer protection is just farcical.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Consumer protections laws here in Europe don't work for 'obvious human errors'.

a PS5 Day1 at -30% could be considered an obvious human error when it is sold out everywhere.
I've already mentioned this, but as long as the money is refunded companies/retailers/sellers have some breathing space.

Its when your money gets "stuck" that the laws properly kick in (which I've experienced like once in my 27 years of being on this Earth).

Which makes sense, because as long as you get your money back in reality it's a "no harm no foul" situation. You are then free to once again try your luck with the same company/retailer/seller or go elsewhere with your money.

Jun 20, 2019
Sony MX did advertise the second batch of pre-orders, and when you clicked the link, it took you to the store's sale, so they will probably have to respect the discounted price if PROFECO gets involved.

tluTaEj.jpg
Ew8yXjt.jpg

Sony and Microsoft should really consider price parity with the US, the more people get access to their consoles/ecosystems, better and more business and profits for them. The current suggested price is waaaaaaaaay out of reach for most Mexicans (and Latin American people in general).
Yeah that's preeetty clearly not just a clerical error. The discount is described in two places in two different ways, one of them even in a graphic form.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's preeetty clearly not just a clerical error. The discount is described in two places in two different ways, one of them even in a graphic form.

Not that it matters, but that is most likely a dynamic banner that gets applied to product images based on tags. I don't feel it's hardcoded into the PS5 image shown there. The product had the "30% off" tag, so it got labeled with that banner.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Hopefully justice is served. Even many of my fervorous sony friends got upset.

It is absurd, if that is the law in Mexico. Physical stores/outlets abide by it because the quantities are limited and corrections can be made the moment one customer happily points towards the displayed price with a grin; In the case of an online platform, expecting it to work that way, when errors easily happen, and when thousands, if not more, place orders within seconds of each other, is the purest form of entitlement ever. I used to work as a customer service supervisor for a very known North American retailer, and dealt with my fair share of customers insisting on getting an expensive bath vanity for a tenth of the price because of a mistake on the website: Never happened, unless the delta was so small that I found no point in fighting over it over the phone. Ridiculous expectations, really, but, again, I have no idea how things are handled in Mexico...

Last edited:

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
but, again, I have no idea how things are handled in Mexico...
This is an interesting article about the topic:

vallartatribune.com

Vallarta Tribune to become Tribune Travel | Tribune Travel

For over 22 years, Vallarta Tribune has been providing weekly information on tourist life in the Puerto Vallarta – Bahía de Banderas area. The web page, formerly a printed weekly, deals with important social and national issues within Mexico with a focus on the foreign community and visitors...

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

vallartatribune.com

For over 22 years, Vallarta Tribune has been providing weekly information on tourist life in the Puerto Vallarta – Bahía de Banderas area. The web page, formerly a printed weekly, deals with important social and national issues within Mexico with a focus on the foreign community and visitors...

Absolutely ridiculous. Talk about sticking it to both the company, and the other customers who will buy the same product for ten times the price a few hours later.

amc

Nov 2, 2017
United Kingdom
I'll eat my hat if Sony bend to this Mexican law and honour the sales. They'll just take the fine like they have done in other regions, they won't honour a mistake and set a potentially costly precedent.

They've only recently bent to allowing refunds on downloadable content in Europe, a much, much larger market with their own strong consumer law. They had been told this contradicted regional law for a good while before they put it in writing, and thus allowing it but with stipulations.

Even now it's still a ballache to do so.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Here on Brazil PS5 pre orders went up with a 10% discount on Amazon and they are being honored.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I re-read the thread title three times and got "Sony Mexico No Cum Pie" three times. I really really wondered what was going on...

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
What would worst case scenario be here for customers? If Sony are forced to honour the pricing error, but refuse to, would they be banned from selling PS5 there? I'm just wondering whether Sony would try to force their way be refusing, knowing that banning sale of the PS5 there would likely lead to backlash against the agency who banned them selling if that happened?

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile

México is big on videgames and Sony put up pre-orders with a big discount, something really rare in our market, from $13,999 pesos (Roughly $666 bucks), to around $9,800 pesos (Around $467 gringo coins).

So, yeah, people went CRAZY for the pre-orders, it was a big deal. So imagine the surprise when, apparently, all of them are getting cancelled, with people getting to twitter to complain, with a good amount of memes and people claiming they'll switch to xbox. So you know, the usual stuff.

They could complain to Profeco too, as in the Consumer Protection Commitee, who are known to actually enforce offers like this if they feel like it. We'll see what happens.

They should go and fill a complain in Profeco. Here in Chile we have the same protections for consumers and since it's introduction, we've seen so many less "mistakes" in prices from business in general.

It's good to know that in Mexico you have the same protections.

Nov 14, 2017
They should go and fill a complain in Profeco. Here in Chile we have the same protections for consumers and since it's introduction, we've seen so many less "mistakes" in prices from business in general.

It's good to know that in Mexico you have the same protections.

I think you will see fewer price errors in countries with protections like these in general. They effectively force development of strict and thorough e-commerce software deployment and listing price verification. In any other country, it's publish, "oops", and cancel.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Not how it works in Mexico.

The second you go public with a price tag, you are obligated to honor it.

I'm Mexican, I know how things work here. These people aren't victims.They want to exploit a mistake. I don't think they will get what they want. Online stores have a lot of policies if you dig into their terms & conditions.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I think you will see fewer price errors in countries with protections like these in general. They effectively force development of strict and thorough e-commerce software deployment and listing price verification. In any other country, it's publish, "oops", and cancel.

And then you also have the really "oopsy" price mistakes that are just ploys to get eyes on the seller or feet into the store.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

vallartatribune.com

A recent example comes to us from Altamira, Mexico where an employee of an Arteli store placed a sign next to the Axe deodorants. The sign says: All the Axe deodorants 96 or 112 gm $39.90 pesos.

Obviously, the sign refers to all of the different scents of Axe deodorants but one young lady took it literally and attempted to purchase all of them for that price.

When the store refused to honor the price, she turned to Profeco and they forced the store to honor the advertised price. She left the store with 235 cans of deodorant valued at almost $9,300 pesos ($513 USD).

All I can say is "wow..."
Before you cheer for the savvy shopper who beat the system, listen to this — according to news reports, the employee responsible for the sign is being required to pay for their mistake through payroll deductions.
Yeah, that sucks.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm Mexican, I know how things work here. These people aren't victims.They want to exploit a mistake. I don't think they will get what they want. Online stores have a lot of policies if you dig into their terms & conditions.

A 30% discount doesn't sound like a mistake, specially if it's was for limited units. It looked like a strategy to drive interest for the PS5 in a country where both next-gen consoles are quite expensive and where the Xbox brand is popular.

Profeco has gone for situations more extremes, they had it easy here and they surely will help the customers whose orders are being cancelled.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
A 30% discount doesn't sound like a mistake, specially if it's was for limited units. It looked like a strategy to drive interest for the PS5 in a country where both next-gen consoles are quite expensive and where the Xbox brand is popular.

Profeco has gone for situations more extremes, they had it easy here and they surely will help the customers whose orders are being cancelled.

There is no possible scenario where Sony would discount its new console in any part of the world for any reason. Both consoles (PS5 both versions and Serias X) sold out their pre-order stock in Mexico. By the way, Series S stock is still available here.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Brazil, I managed to secure my pre-order with a 10% discount and also around 4% cashback. Just waiting until the 19th now.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
One of the things I've noticed about this forum is that there's like a LOT of people here who are surprisingly pro big corporations no matter what.

Gaming is a very weird hobby and medium. In other mediums, such as film and music, you have people championing the indies and the consumer, but on gaming is all about supporting the AAA releases and the big corps.

PROFECO is one of the few good things in my country, and I hope they side with the customer yet again.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
How is a 30% off icon and accompanying price modification that goes all the way to checkout on the official Sony Store an "obvious mistake"? Lol. I mean I guess with Era being so US centric I should've expected some of these "please corporation senpai, I love when you take advantage of me" posts, but yeesh. The few preorders that got in with the reduced price would not affect Sony, rest assured. The consoles are already being sold at like $650 USD here, this error only puts them down to near the US price tag. Where's that outrage?

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I'm all for protecting consumers, but I'm not cool with taking a huge loss from a mistake. Sure, Sony is a big rich corporation... but that could literally happen to anyone including small start ups.

they are not taking a big loss: That's the price that you'll pay for it, We have to pay 150 bucks more for the same product. i bought a Switch during an Amazon sale and thanks to the "discount" I got it at the official price in the US!

Oct 27, 2017
Companies hand out hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of retail goods to influencers already, for free. Some commoners getting a discounted console won't even register. They will be fine.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I've already mentioned this, but as long as the money is refunded companies/retailers/sellers have some breathing space.

Its when your money gets "stuck" that the laws properly kick in (which I've experienced like once in my 27 years of being on this Earth).

Which makes sense, because as long as you get your money back in reality it's a "no harm no foul" situation. You are then free to once again try your luck with the same company/retailer/seller or go elsewhere with your money.
Yes of course if the money is refunded. If not, there would be a real issue.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Lol, they done fucked it up. As a fellow mexican Sony will have to honor these prices if PROFECO gets involved, which with all the media attention this is getting it seems likely.

PROFECO doesn't play around with enforcing prices, even if is clearly a mistake from the vendor. There are many examples, but like just last year during our blackfriday weekend ("buen fin") there were several stores in different cities making prices mistakes and they were forced to sell TVs from 1100 USD to 100 USD and from 165 USD to 0.05 cents USD. And many more stories like that.

I still remember when Dell was selling Alienware laptops for 700 MXN (32.59 USD), when the correct price was around 40,000 MXN (~1850 USD). PROFECO got involved and they had to honor the price for those who could prove they bought the laptop at 700 MXN.