El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Delusional? In most of the countries there are consumer protection laws for cases like this. Sorry you don't live in one.

Protect from what? Greed?
One of the things I've noticed about this forum is that there's like a LOT of people here who are surprisingly pro big corporations no matter what.

Or, maybe, just maybe, people can distinguish between cases where a customer is exploited/unfairly treated, and ones where he/she is trying to bend the rules and get undue privileges under the pretext of fighting against evil corporations. There is a difference between the letter and the spirit in each law, and people with a semblance of integrity are inclined, if not to favour the latter, at least to consider both dimensions of it.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao at the "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE POOR CORPORATIONS"

FOH

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

Or, maybe, just maybe, people can distinguish between cases where a customer is exploited/unfairly treated, and ones where he/she is trying to bend the rules and get undue privileges under the pretext of fighting against evil corporations. There is a difference between the letter and the spirit in each law, and people with a semblance of integrity are inclined, if not to favour the latter, at least to consider both dimensions of it.
Lmaooo

Oct 27, 2017

Which rules are being bended? Sony published a price and the customers paid it. It was a legal transaction.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico

Some examples of past mistakes in pricing, and PROFECO made them honor the price.
Alienwares price error (-98.5% than correct price)
TVs price error (-99.9% real price)
Many different pricing errors which had to be honored
More TVs which had to honor wrong price (-99.9%)

There is a lot of past events where the vendor had to honor the pricing, even if it's clearly a mistake.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Some examples of past mistakes in pricing, and PROFECO made them honor the price.

There is a lot of past events where the vendor had to honor the pricing, even if it's clearly a mistake.

I think thats the point some are trying to make as opposed to being corporate apologists as people are trying to paint them out to be. There doesn't seem to be any nuance here. I'm assuming if you were a smaller business and you make a price mistake you'd be fucked as well and have to honor pricing?

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
What will happen is Sony refuses? A fine? Banned from selling in the country?
If they refuse, then it probably becomes a whole legal process. Which in the end is the worst outcome for the folks in this mess since those (usually) take ages to settle in any given country.

Though yeah, a fine is likely the endgame there and depending how it's solved they may be forced to give back the money or the actual product to each and every person affected by this.

The best scenario IMO would be Sony honoring the sales right now. Not only would it be the actual best outcome for the people but it would also avoid massive negative reaction to the brand if this drags on.

I wish all of you had this much fire for CDPR transphobic bs. 😒
You mean the thread that has 32 pages vs this one that has 3? :P

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Which rules are being bended? Sony published a price and the customers paid it. It was a legal transaction.

It is not as clear cut as you make it seem. I know for a fact that some companies -I worked for a couple of them- have clauses emblazoned on the policy section of their website where they highlight that while efforts are made to present an error free website, mistakes might happen, and the company reserves the right to alter or cancel a transaction should said mistake be detected. It makes absolute sense to me...Just because someone in charge of the website lists a TV set for 2 dollars, instead of 2000, when that price is more or less what you would expect for it, does not entitle you to receive it because you placed an online order before anybody else.

Oct 27, 2017
It is not as clear cut as you make it seem. I know for a fact that some companies -I worked for a couple of them- have clauses emblazoned on the policy section of their website where they highlight that while efforts are made to present an error free website, mistakes might happen, and the company reserves the right to alter or cancel a transaction should said mistake be detected. It makes absolute sense to me...Just because someone in charge of the website lists a TV set for 2 dollars, instead of 2000, when that price is more or less what you would expect for it, does not entitle you to receive it because you placed an online order before anybody else.
Disclaimers don't matter much if the law gets involved.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Apparently it does in Mexico and some other countries. I'm assuming there is nuance to the law but it doesn't sound like it based on what people are saying with the 99% off price mistakes examples above for expensive electronics.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, Sony will have to honor those prices unless they want some really bad PR. Thats just how it works here in Mexico. It wont be long before they announce that they will.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I'm Mexican, I know how things work here. These people aren't victims.They want to exploit a mistake. I don't think they will get what they want. Online stores have a lot of policies if you dig into their terms & conditions.

Terms and conditions are never above the law, even if they are written to sound like the do. In Costa Rica they would have to show exactly how they made this mistake, since they could be also labelled as artificially trying to sell something that was never available in the first place, and that's even worst in terms of fines and penalties. Many places just dont bother and agree to sell at the advertised price.

I wish all of you had this much fire for CDPR transphobic bs. 😒

I do and many also do. Not problem with calling both companies on their bullshit.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
there is not moral here, the company presented a price, people paid that price.

period.

Weird take, buddy. What if items go out of stock, or get discontinued in the meantime, or if an unforeseen event disrupts the ability of the firm to honour that order? Wouldn't the company simply void the transaction and reimburse the amount? Would you expect them to start making whatever item you sought to acquire for you, on the side, because you placed an online order (most online orders have the funds under hold, normally, so it is only when the order ships that the amount gets withdrawn and transferred; I do not know if it is the case here, however...)?

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
In general, terms & conditions aren't above actual laws. They may or may not comply with said laws, but even if they do, once it reaches a court level type of decision they become meaningless.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Plenty of countries have these kind of consumer protections, it's surprising some people don't realise that. In a lot of countries there are situations where a clear error like 99% off wouldn't fall under those kind of protections but for something like this where you could easily argue it's not an obvious error and could have easily just been an offer then the retailer would likely lose if you took it to court. The question in a lot of cases is whether it's worth bothering with if the retailer forces you to take it further.

I know in the UK when online retailers started to become popular the protections favoured the consumer far more than they do now, once payment had been taken you'd formed a contract and there was very little way for them to get out of it, these days most retailers cover themselves to prevent mistakes like this by not taking payment until the point of dispatch so they can cancel orders before then and protections favour them slightly more when there's errors that you wouldn't reasonable expect to get like getting a TV for £1 instead of £1000.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Only companies should be "moral" entities; You, as a consumer, are manifestly under no such obligation. Lmao.
1-
H6qZDsv.png

2- regardless of that, asking a corporation to honor their side of the deal is 100% moral

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Buying discounted goods is immoral now? come on lol

I am not talking about buying discounted goods, I am referring to the attitude that seems to be tacitly accepted of expecting a deal to go through when one knows full well that said deal is only made alluring by a mistake/inconsistency. Yeah, this is something that I would never do personally. What kills me is that the same people who pursue this sort of things (again, I have had so many arguments through emails, chats, phone calls...) would be the first to accuse businesses of taking advantage of them.

OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am not talking about buying discounted goods, I am referring to the attitude that seems to be tacitly accepted of expecting a deal to go through when one knows full well that said deal is only made alluring by a mistake/inconsistency. Yeah, this is something that I would never do personally. What kills me is that the same people who pursue this sort of things (again, I have had so many arguments through emails, chats, phone calls...) would be the first to accuse businesses of taking advantage of them.
I get where you are coming from, but you have to understand the context of the law and how it was made. It's made to prevent false advertisement and consumer protection. Retailers have an obligation to price their stock and advertise it correctly.

Sony not only advertised they had new stock pre-orders on sale, but they linked to it while the deal was already on motion. And, worst of all, charged the costumers for the product, then cancelled the products WITHOUT giving a refund with the notice unless the costumer demands it directly. Consumers promoted and shared that link, giving Sony viral publicity in my country, when they are usually the underdogs to Xbox. The most popular mexican videogame magazines are picking up on the story, and if you are a consumer that just wanted to secure a PS5 and was happily surprised by the deal on top of it, guess what, you are screwed now and have to start your own refund process.

I'm a small business owner myself and I know Profeco is a pain in the ass to deal with, you have to be VERY careful with the wording of your prices, even when publishing on facebook or sharpie. But it's because those protections are there that I actually have to be careful about it. Sony fucked up here, and there is a very solid case against them. They haven't even issued an official response.

Jun 20, 2019
Consumers are harmed by this mistake. They each gave a $467 loan to Sony for no benefit. They could have used that money for something else in the meantime.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
That people are equating clear mistakes like "$399 instead of $3999" to a 30% applied discount in defense of major corporations is so ridiculous.

Good for Mexico if they are obligated to honor. It isn't a "clear mistake", but even if it was, it's the law.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I dont know how Mexican law is but 'pre-order pricing' doesnt usually fall under the same consumer protection laws. This is why retailers like amazon specifically mention that their pre order prices are 'guaranteed' not to change.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
As a consumer, lmfao

CAN ANYONE THINK OF THE MULTIBILLION DOLLAR COMPANY PLEASE?!!!

I was actually thinking of small businesses that would be super SOLed if that happened to them and potentially bankrupted (slight exaggeration) by a policy like this. I don't think it's an issue if it only effected businesses that made like $10 Million+ or whatever.

I just feel bad for the people involved with this automation that are going to be fired immediately because someone wants to take advantage of an automation glitch that wasn't corrected because you know, people have to sleep. LOL - Technology can be really finicky and there's no accounting for server updates/platform updates/any number of updates that might happen that isn't anyone's fault, etc that could effect the automation

Y'all dense AF.

I routinely say, fuck captilism, yall give people a bad name.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
The US could have used a PROFECO when Gamestop was selling stuff for super reduced prices, and in some cases, free a few weeks ago lol. But, in this instance, Sony just needs to step up to the plate and honor the orders due to the consumer protection laws that Mexico has. They agree to those laws when they do business in the country. It's no different than the pro-consumer laws the EU has that the US doesn't.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I was actually thinking of small businesses that would be super SOLed if that happened to them and potentially bankrupted (slight exaggeration) by a policy like this. I don't think it's an issue if it only effected businesses that made like $10 Million+ or whatever.

I just feel bad for the people involved with this automation that are going to be fired immediately because someone wants to take advantage of an automation glitch that wasn't corrected because you know, people have to sleep. LOL - Technology can be really finicky and there's no accounting for server updates/platform updates/any number of updates that might happen that isn't anyone's fault, etc that could effect the automation

Y'all dense AF.

I routinely say, fuck captilism, yall give people a bad name.

Dont worry about people getting fire because of mistakes, sometimes they get fired because CEOs need to show cost cutting even when having record breaking profits... You know capitalism and all...

Also, let me quote myself:

In Costa Rica they would have to show exactly how they made this mistake, since they could be also labelled as artificially trying to sell something that was never available in the first place, and that's even worst in terms of fines and penalties. Many places just dont bother and agree to sell at the advertised price.

The above happens because companies would often use this "mistakes" to have people purchase things, and then tell them they have to pay the rest or wait a month (If lucky) to get their money back.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I get where you are coming from, but you have to understand the context of the law and how it was made. It's made to prevent false advertisement and consumer protection. Retailers have an obligation to price their stock and advertise it correctly.

Sony not only advertised they had new stock pre-orders on sale, but they linked to it while the deal was already on motion. And, worst of all, charged the costumers for the product, then cancelled the products WITHOUT giving a refund with the notice unless the costumer demands it directly. Consumers promoted and shared that link, giving Sony viral publicity in my country, when they are usually the underdogs to Xbox. The most popular mexican videogame magazines are picking up on the story, and if you are a consumer that just wanted to secure a PS5 and was happily surprised by the deal on top of it, guess what, you are screwed now and have to start your own refund process.

I'm a small business owner myself and I know Profeco is a pain in the ass to deal with, you have to be VERY careful with the wording of your prices, even when publishing on facebook or sharpie. But it's because those protections are there that I actually have to be careful about it. Sony fucked up here, and there is a very solid case against them. They haven't even issued an official response.

Thank you for providing these details. Hopefully this mess will be sorted out quickly for the sake of all parties.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017

Oh my, such integrity. I'm sure Sony really appreciates all that integrity with which you so fervently defend their honor on a videogame forum. What would they ever do without you? Why, they might even be forced to honor some console discounts they themselves offered, which would account for less than atom of a drop in the bucket to their bottom line. Oh the humanity!

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Anything of interest to add, or are you comfy with the Robin Hood drive-by posts?

"Consumer bending the rules to get undue privileges" is the funniest shit I've ever read. So, sorry if I laugh at something so ridiculous.

And the "moral indignation" you express is ALSO funny. "PEOPLE SHOULDN'T EXPLOIT BIG CORPS ERRORS, THEY HAVE NO INTEGRITY" HAAAAA

Sony is not a mom 'n pop store, so spare us your indignation.

Last edited:

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Dont worry about people getting fire because of mistakes, sometimes they get fired because CEOs need to show cost cutting even when having record breaking profits... You know capitalism and all...

Also, let me quote myself:

In Costa Rica they would have to show exactly how they made this mistake, since they could be also labelled as artificially trying to sell something that was never available in the first place, and that's even worst in terms of fines and penalties. Many places just dont bother and agree to sell at the advertised price.

The above happens because companies would often use this "mistakes" to have people purchase things, and then tell them they have to pay the rest or wait a month (If lucky) to get their money back.

That's fair, I don't think there's an issue with a law existing like people have explained it to work, but I would like there to be some nuance to it to account for "honest mistakes." I know people don't care about big companies, but I feel bad for smaller companies that might legitimately make mistakes because they don't have the resources like a big corporation, and then for them to get punished as though they do seems silly to me. For Sony's mistake in Mexico, I don't really have any strong stance. Like yeah, Sony can just lose the 30% or whatever the discount is, but it just seems like a bad precedent that could have monumental consequences for smaller companies and inconsequential consequences for companies like Sony or Nintendo, etc.

I'm one that's like, let's just have laws the make sense? Maybe.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
That people are equating clear mistakes like "$399 instead of $3999" to a 30% applied discount in defense of major corporations is so ridiculous.

Good for Mexico if they are obligated to honor. It isn't a "clear mistake", but even if it was, it's the law.

For fucking real, that's the most insulting part about all the bootlicking going on in here, it's 30% not 90% or something stupid, especially when it's 30% off something already with a 25%+ premium over normal USD pricing.

Sony needs to take the L and honor their pricing, it's a minor difference and they avoid a shit ton of bad PR.

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017

Brazil has a law like that, but in cases like those where it is clearly a system error the justice system sees it as bad faith on the consumer part and the companies aren't obligated to honor the price.

A 30% "discount" would probably be honored around here. 90%? Nope.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
For fucking real, that's the most insulting part about all the bootlicking going on in here, it's 30% not 90% or something stupid, especially when it's 30% off something already with a 25%+ premium over normal USD pricing.

Sony needs to take the L and honor their pricing, it's a minor difference and they avoid a shit ton of bad PR.
When the Nintendo Switch V2 launched here in Portugal, FNAC was offering it with 20% off launch week. Was I supposed to think "it must be a mistake, poor Nintendo and FNAC"?? No, I bought it. And they didn't cancel any orders, it was a real discount.

Why would anyone think that 30% is a mistake? Maybe a judge wouldn't believe it. How would Sony prove it? The only evidences are that Sony put that on their website with a discount and cancelled orders after that, while putting the price back. For me, it should be in favor of consumers.

It's not like Sony itself is losing a lot of money... it's their website, so any profit that would go to a retailer is going to Sony itself, so 30% off seems like a marketing strategy.

Anyway, the bootlicking will continue. Still annoyed that people are concerned about how much money executives will get in bonus with those sales instead of thinking about the consumers being let down in a shitty situation. People in this forum already complain when companies cancel pre-orders with full price, now suddenly they're pro-corporations just because there's a discount involved (which doesn't make any sense, they should be even more critical).

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Haha just read this thread, first off OP love the gringo coins line, my wife is mexican and I'm from the UK and she always laughs at how much of a "gringo" I am when I can't handle spicy food like she can so I'll be using that term for my currency now with her to make her laugh, second, this thread is funny as fuck seeing what I can assume is Americans thinking Sony can cancel orders and not honour a price mistake they made and advertised, just a heads up to Americans but a lot of countries have consumer rights that aren't shit level, if a company doesn't do their job right to make sure a price is correct before an item is displayed as that then yes they should honour it.

If I walked into a store here and they have a price for an item listed on a price tag, I go to the counter and they say that's the wrong price tag and refused to honour it, then they are legally wrong and will have the business regulator etc deal with their breach of law, I've had this happen to me in person and the moment I point out a price tag says something different on the price they asked for they change it to match the price tag.

Online isn't different, if they can't do their job right and wait until a customer is buying or paid for an item to change price upwards that's not legally right in any way. It's fucking upselling the price once they know you want an item and are paying or paid for it.

Man Americans really gotta get some perspective other than eating corporations shit they hand to them.

If you want some extreme detail into how far this can go bad for a company outside America, look up the story of a vacuum company in the UK years ago who advertised a free flight for a holiday with every purchase of their vacuum cleaners, but didn't list the price the flight could be, the company was forced to honour the cost for flights of people who got a hoover before they realised the error and it cost them insane amounts of money to pay for tickets to far destinations. Just because the usa can't put consumers above corporations doesn't mean the rest of the world won't.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
That's fair, I don't think there's an issue with a law existing like people have explained it to work, but I would like there to be some nuance to it to account for "honest mistakes." I know people don't care about big companies, but I feel bad for smaller companies that might legitimately make mistakes because they don't have the resources like a big corporation, and then for them to get punished as though they do seems silly to me. For Sony's mistake in Mexico, I don't really have any strong stance. Like yeah, Sony can just lose the 30% or whatever the discount is, but it just seems like a bad precedent that could have monumental consequences for smaller companies and inconsequential consequences for companies like Sony or Nintendo, etc.

I'm one that's like, let's just have laws the make sense? Maybe.

Companies are very shady here in latam, laws need to be drastic for they to care. Small businesses are extra careful and it doesn't happen very often.

VICTORsaurio

Mar 10, 2018
On the Mexican forum where I first saw the offer posted, the poster (who was the first one to buy it there) got a call today from Sony, after his order was canceled, telling him that they would honor his order and sent him a new confirmation e-mail, Sony will probably argue that they ran out of stock or something like that since the page always says there are 10 units available at any given time.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
"Consumer bending the rules to get undue privileges" is the funniest shit I've ever read. So, sorry if I laugh at something so ridiculous.

And the "moral indignation" you express is ALSO funny. "PEOPLE SHOULDN'T EXPLOIT BIG CORPS ERRORS, THEY HAVE NO INTEGRITY" HAAAAA

Sony is not a mom 'n pop store, so spare us your indignation.

It does not matter if Sony is a big multi-billion company, or Joe's falafel joint. If you have a semblance of integrity, you would adopt the same attitude regardless of that -frankly- useless consideration. Yes, I have seen customers ask for undue stuff...In fact, it happens everywhere, all the time, and thank God that there is youtube to offer us some gnarly scenes of such entitlement, arrogance and undue requests.
The fact that you went straight into the Big Evil Corporation talk is a sign of utter immaturity. So because they are big and profit oriented, everything goes? You can just walk into an Apple store, steal a phone because Evil Apple deserves it? Childish at best...

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean switch to xbox? Arent most people on xbox already anyway?

This wouldnt be that many people switching imo.

what is this nonsense?????

they literally purchased a playstation 5.

if they had the playstation 5 they wouldnt be treatening to switch over 😂

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Oh my, such integrity. I'm sure Sony really appreciates all that integrity with which you so fervently defend their honor on a videogame forum. What would they ever do without you? Why, they might even be forced to honor some console discounts they themselves offered, which would account for less than atom of a drop in the bucket to their bottom line. Oh the humanity!

Why is it that you resort to this dirty little tactic on this forum to throw shade at anyone with an opposing view? You buy consoles from these same corporations and come to lecture others on how evil they are, and how treacherous and devoid of integrity those who might oppose some of your stances on tangential matters are. I could not care less about Sony or the people who placed those orders, I pointed out that having laws that force a business to honour prices on the internet, even in the case of mistakes, glitches and whatnot, especially if those deltas are considerable, is insane. How about if the price on display was of $3.99 instead of $399, would you be ok with subjecting the company to -let's exaggerate a bit- hundreds millions of dollars of loss just because of a discrepancy on their online store? Where is the freaking common sense? It should not be a matter of principle, at all, because all it does is grant some customers a "gotcha" moment to get products for less than their market value, and rob other customers of the possibility of getting similar deals...

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
Why is it that you resort to this dirty little tactic on this forum to throw shade at anyone with an opposing view? You buy consoles from these same corporations and come to lecture others on how evil they are, and how treacherous and devoid of integrity those who might oppose some of your stances on tangential matters are. I could not care less about Sony or the people who placed those orders, I pointed out that having laws that force a business to honour prices on the internet, even in the case of mistakes, glitches and whatnot, especially if those deltas are considerable, is insane. How about if the price on display was of $3.99 instead of $399, would you be ok with subjecting the company to -let's exaggerate a bit- hundreds millions of dollars of loss just because of a discrepancy on their online store? Where is the freaking common sense? It should not be a matter of principle, at all, because all it does is grant some customers a "gotcha" moment to get products for less than their market value, and rob other customers of the possibility of getting similar deals...

If that is a genuine question, then yes, i would try to buy a PS5 for $3.99. and even try to point out that the display price is $3.99 if they refuse to honour it.

I don't see anyone saying sony is evil, it's just that for a company as big as them, it's really hard to believe that the price is an error, they invest alot of money on online sales teams with the sole purpose to prevent that mistake.

Now if it was a moms-and-pops shop i wouldn't do it, but im sure they are smart enough to not make that mistake since they can't afford it.
However, im pretty sure Sony can.