khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep checking-in on this thread, but with no fix at this point, my hope for one is waning.

Sony has been talking about allowing you to choose changing your PSN ID for years, meaning PSN has some difficulties or Sony is just slow to do anything. So them changing this policy won't be overnight. I expect them to stick to their guns until the PS5 comes out.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
It takes months for a SKU to come to the market, so that wasn't a response. Just weird timing.
....how long are you suggesting? It honestly doesn't take that long. And a bundle doesn't have to be finished to be a response. You could sign a deal and present an announcement mock-up in days... hell it all could be done in a day.

That was my guess as to what was happening, the bundle being somewhat of a defense(?, don't know if that is the right word) to what's going on. If I'm not mistaken the bundle has a super rare skin doesn't it? That has to be an effect of what's going on.

Edit: the timing of the announcement was no fluke.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
....how long are you suggesting? It honestly doesn't take that long. And a bundle doesn't have to be finished to be a response. You could sign a deal and present an announcement mock-up in days... hell it all could be done in a day.

That was my guess as to what was happening, the bundle being somewhat of a defense(?, don't know if that is the right word) to what's going on. If I'm not mistaken the bundle has a super rare skin doesn't it? That has to be an effect of what's going on.

Edit: the timing of the announcement was no fluke.

As someone who works in a similar, physical product driven industry (not the gaming industry, the music industry) and has to sign of products and new SKUs regularly - I would guess at weeks or months. To get the artwork done and signed off, to get the deals signed off, to get the press releases written and approved, to get the new boxes printed. I doubt the Fortnite console was a reaction to this situation. I bet it's been in the works for a long time.

Maybe Sony are super efficient and can knock these things out super fast (if the music industry is anything, it's not time efficient...) and I'm talking bollocks. But, at a guess, I'd say signing off any part of this takes more time than most would imagine.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Has this whole thing hurt the ps4 user base?

This won't hurt anything at all.

Unless someone can show otherwise my belief has always been that majority of sales for consoles come from parents buying for their kids. No parent is going to sell a PS4 and buy a XBox because they also have a Switch lying around and their kid wants to jump between 2 or even 3 different consoles for one game.

Who knows, maybe i'm wrong, but i'm also still waiting for all that hurt PS4 was going to feel when they didn't get Minecraft: Better Together.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know if a parent would make that choice but a kid would definitely tell his parents if he knew that by getting the ps4 version would not be able to play with his friends on a different version. That might not move the needle much but it still matters.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017

Unless someone can show otherwise my belief has always been that majority of sales for consoles come from parents buying for their kids. No parent is going to sell a PS4 and buy a XBox because they also have a Switch lying around and their kid wants to jump between 2 or even 3 different consoles for one game.

Who knows, maybe i'm wrong, but i'm also still waiting for all that hurt PS4 was going to feel when they didn't get Minecraft: Better Together.

There are parents on ERA who said they were going to do exactly that. This will have an effect.

Though I agree with you that I doubt the effect will be very significant at all.

Deleted member 3853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if a parent would make that choice but a kid would definitely tell his parents if he knew that by getting the ps4 version would not be able to play with his friends on a different version. That might not move the needle much but it still matters.

Also works the other way though. If they leave the PS4 then they'll be locked out from their friends who play on PS4.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

It will be felt at the start of next gen.
Also works the other way though. If they leave the PS4 then they'll be locked out from their friends who play on PS4.
Sony holding friends hostage too? When will the madness stop.

Reality is, Xbox and switch is affordable, their friends can dip too

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
As someone who works in a similar, physical product driven industry (not the gaming industry, the music industry) and has to sign of products and new SKUs regularly - I would guess at weeks or months. To get the artwork done and signed off, to get the deals signed off, to get the press releases written and approved, to get the new boxes printed. I doubt the Fortnite console was a reaction to this situation. I bet it's been in the works for a long time.

Maybe Sony are super efficient and can knock these things out super fast (if the music industry is anything, it's not time efficient...) and I'm talking bollocks. But, at a guess, I'd say signing off any part of this takes more time than most would imagine.
What you said sounds right, but I still would give this weeks, 2 months tops. Deciding if they wanted to do a bundle probably took longer. But, ok. My point was this was not a 8 month long decision that was coming into fruition in the midst of a shitstorm.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
What you said sounds right, but I still would give this weeks, 2 months tops. Deciding if they wanted to do a bundle probably took longer. But, ok. My point was this was not a 8 month long decision that was coming into fruition in the midst of a shitstorm.

If it took 8 months they would've had to have been planning it the week Fortnite BR launched!

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread now. We will never see positive advancements in this industry with such die hard fans.
.....not caring for cross play is a mark of die hard fanatiscm? Sheesh....I think there's s lot of hyperbole on both sides. "We will never see positive advances"? Really never? Because of this one issue?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Guess times are different. If I asked my parents for another console they'd tell me I already have one and to just play that. Most of my friends were in the same boat lol.
I don't know, I always had both consoles, all my Sega consoles were purchased used from funco land after doing chores and mowing neighbors lawns. Parents purchased the Nintendo.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I know for my nephews, a lot more of them have iPads. They can jump in and out of my Minecraft games on their tablets when they are out and about and if they are home, one can be on xbox while their siblings and friends are on iPad.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know for my nephews, a lot more of them have iPads. They can jump in and out of my Minecraft games on their tablets when they are out and about and if they are home, one can be on xbox while their siblings and friends are on iPad.

Apple sells more iPads than Microsoft does Surface, why is Apple allowing this to happen!!!

Deleted member 3853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I always had both consoles, all my Sega consoles were purchased used from funco land after doing chores and mowing neighbors lawns. Parents purchased the Nintendo.

You also forget that we're on an enthusiast forum so attitudes here will likely be different towards gaming than the average person. Plenty of people (I'd guess the vast majority) are happy with their 1 console and the friends they play with on there.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see what you tried to do....but seeing how apple drops exclusives app and music deals all the time this is comes off as a very disingenuous joke.

You mean the App store that I use on my Windows PC and the iTunes I purchased that plays on basically any portable music device? But yes, it was a joke, glad to see you have a sense of humor.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
There are parents on ERA who said they were going to do exactly that. This will have an effect.

Though I agree with you that I doubt the effect will be very significant at all.
I think he's talking about the mainstream, Black Friday parent shoppers, when they do the most shopping. Me being a parent to a child who plays Fortnite in this situation is what lead me to this thread. Since we have everything, 2 PS4's, 2 Switch's, 1 OneS, it's hard for me to say. But I can't see myself selling a PS4 to buy a Switch or vice versa.

She downloaded Fortnite, she got $50 in psn cash and that was it. No more. I won't even let her spend her own money on more skins..
If it took 8 months they would've had to have been planning it the week Fortnite BR launched!
Lmao

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
I thought recently Yoshida said he was trying to get FFXIV on switch and Xbox but all parties needed to want to play with each other or something along those lines which was basically pointing at Sony again.

I read (a while back on the old forum) that Microsoft demands that Xbox players be able to opt out of cross play in games. If they stick to that position MMORPGs will never come to Xbox, a single shared world won't allow opting out.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is probably requiring Gold, 1 of their requirements is no additional subscription required (PS+/Gold), just the monthly sub for the game, so crossplay won't be the roadblock yet, though I'm sure Sony will say no if they ever get asked. A big giveaway is MS' silence on the matter, if Sony were the problem they'd say and so would Yoshida most likely (he doesn't seem the type to just accept that), not just say talks with MS are ongoing everytime.
No. The issue on MS's side once they were ok with cross play has always been that MS requires that the player have the option to opt out of cross play. Yoshida is adamant that anyone playing FF14 has to be on shared servers. This is why FF14 isn't on Xbox at all instead of just being on a separate server.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You also forget that we're on an enthusiast forum so attitudes here will likely be different towards gaming than the average person. Plenty of people (I'd guess the vast majority) are happy with their 1 console and the friends they play with on there.
I think the casual gamer would be happy to know they can play with friends on opposing consoles if they knew it was possible. Would save the consumer money. Here people seem to be actively against it because party lines, have no friends who game or because it doesn't effect their single player game lifestyle so they "don't give a fuck".

End of the day, Sony's stance on this for the biggest game of the generation is not a good look and they will probably continue to take similiar stances over the next two years. It's only going to start adding up.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think the casual gamer would be happy to know they can play with friends on opposing consoles if they knew it was possible. Would save the consumer money. Here people seem to be actively against it because party lines, have no friends who game or because it doesn't effect their single player game lifestyle so they "don't give a fuck".

End of the day, Sony's stance on this for the biggest game of the generation is not a good look and they will probably continue to take similiar stances over the next two years. It's only going to start adding up.
Yeah, ironically I think the more casual audience would be more confused about why they can't just play with their friends on other platforms. Hardcore players are more understanding (even if they might not like it) because they know it's been the status quo since forever.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No. The issue on MS's side once they were ok with cross play has always been that MS requires that the player have the option to opt out of cross play. Yoshida is adamant that anyone playing FF14 has to be on shared servers. This is why FF14 isn't on Xbox at all instead of just being on a separate server.
They don't have opt-out options in some games that are cross-play already, so I doubt the opt-out option is the big issue, whereas they require Gold for every game, no matter what, so it's more likely caused by that, as no PS+ is also a requirement they asked Sony to agree to. Either way I don't think it's due to cross-play or Sony at this point, probably will if MS and Square ever make an agreement though.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
They don't have opt-out options in some games that are cross-play already, so I doubt the opt-out option is the big issue, whereas they require Gold for every game, no matter what, so it's more likely caused by that, as no PS+ is also a requirement they asked Sony to agree to. Either way I don't think it's due to cross-play or Sony at this point, probably will if MS and Square ever make an agreement though.

Out of curiosity, which games are those?

Win10 is still considered Xbox Live, so stuff like Killer Instinct or Forza wouldn't count.

EDIT: Doh, Killer Instinct WOULD count, because it's also on Steam now. Nvm.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Temtem (Pokemon "clone") developer:
"We're working on having cross-play and cross-save but take into account that some platforms don't allow that (PS4)"

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Gold price has only raised over time. If MS thought making Gold free or reduced was a game winning plan, they would have already done it.
Quick question, as I wouldn't know and don't care to research, Microsoft introduced play anywhere this gen correct. Do they charge for gold on that platform? If not is it really that implausible that Xbox will bait Sony into crossplay next gen then announce free Xbox live? You really think it wouldn't be a marketing plus? Aren't they putting first games on game pass at a loss essentially. Do you really think they cannot afford it?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, as I wouldn't know and don't care to research, Microsoft introduced play anywhere this gen correct. Do they charge for gold on that platform? If not is it really that implausible that Xbox will bait Sony into crossplay next gen then announce free Xbox live? You really think it wouldn't be a marketing plus? Aren't they putting first games on game pass at a loss essentially. Do you really think they cannot afford it?

Of course it would be a marketing plus, but compared to how much they'd lose from dumping the paywall it's so not worth it.

Making Xbox Live free won't suddenly move 10's of millions more consoles to magically cover the loss.

It would be great for consumers if it came to pass but it just won't.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018

Well if it will have an effect then change will come. If it doesn't then I guess this thread and other outlets are really just a very very vocal minority

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Of course it would be a marketing plus, but compared to how much they'd lose from dumping the paywall it's so not worth it.

Making Xbox Live free won't suddenly move 10's of millions more consoles to magically cover the loss.

It would be great for consumers if it came to pass but it just won't.
I was referring to next gen all they need to do is make cross play commonplace this gen.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Y'all boys reaching now....ima buy a $200+ console because i cant transfer a couple digital items? You buggin
Couple digital items add up quick in real world currency. Right now Sony is not looking future proof due to their policies. If Fortnite is still a thing in 2020, if it evolves from what it is today and still a thing next gen. Let's say Nintendo, Xbox releases their system before Sony. You pick up a Xbox and guess what, you have to start from scratch. That may not bother you, but as someone who had to start from scratch on Xbox because of this policy, it sucks and I refuse to invest anymore money on third party titles in the Sony ecosystem if this trend continues.
Well if it will have an effect then change will come. If it doesn't then I guess this thread and other outlets are really just a very very vocal minority
A vocal minority on era, a site that leans single player/Sony enthusiast is not a good gauge of the over all market.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Minuscule in the long term. The bigger issue being that Fortnite is behind a paywall for PlayStation's direct competitor.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was referring to next gen all they need to do is make cross play commonplace this gen.

It's never going to happen, Xbox fans can talk about how much of a marketing win it would be all day but it's too much money to dump for far, far, far too little in return.

I'll gladly eat crow if they do make Xbox Live free but I can't see it happening.

Even if they did Sony would keep the paywall for PSN though, lol, that I am sure of. They'll cave eventually but they will hang in there for as long as possible.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

IIRC the time before the last time they were quizzed on FFXIV, they said the new reasoning was because MS doesn't allow them to drop in hot patches and that certification takes too long and isn't reasonable for MMO's; they seem to have dropped the "opt-out option" argument.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
Couple digital items add up quick in real world currency. Right now Sony is not looking future proof due to their policies. If Fortnite is still a thing in 2020, if it evolves from what it is today and still a thing next gen. Let's say Nintendo, Xbox releases their system before Sony. You pick up a Xbox and guess what, you have to start from scratch. That may not bother you, but as someone who had to start from scratch on Xbox because of this policy, it sucks and I refuse to invest anymore money on third party titles in the Sony ecosystem if this trend continues.

A vocal minority on era, a site that leans single player/Sony enthusiast is not a good gauge of the over all market.
Oh I'm talking bout the #blanesony folks too

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's never going to happen, Xbox fans can talk about how much of a marketing win it would be all day but it's too much money to dump for far, far, far too little in return.

I'll gladly eat crow if they do make Xbox Live free but I can't see it happening.

Even if they did Sony would keep the paywall for PSN though, lol, that I am sure of. They'll cave eventually but they will hang in there for as long as possible.
Games like Evolve may not have died as quickly as it did f ithere was crossplay.

This is something devs should be pushing for to keep their communities afloat and keep the GaaS money flowing in.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018

Bundling it with game pass...eliminate games with gold...sounds very viable to me if they get crossplay down pat

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games like Evolve may not have died as quickly as it did if there was crossplay.

This is something devs should be pushing for to keep their communities afloat and keep the GaaS money flowing in.

I was talking about Xbox Live ever going free, i'm not against crossplay though and you're right about Evolve sure, it would've probably still died but not as fast.

Bundling it with game pass...eliminate games with gold...sounds very viable to me if they get crossplay down pat

We'll see, I'm sure they don't want to but if they get super aggressive maybe they'll take the hit for the extra mindshare the move would bring.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This has nothing to do with Microsoft's future plans. Sony has been ignoring requests from publishers for years now and they also want to block Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Man, whenever I see this thread resurface, I'm hoping for good news.

I've pretty much only played on Switch since this happened. My Twitch and PS Plus gear and emotes are stuck forever on my other account.

I have, however, won some games now on Switch, so I have cool stuff again. Just not that cool stuff.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Interesting piece on this on the latest bombcast, with Jeff saying that this could be the thing that provokes change even if it isn't the thing that's changing. The locking down of accounts and progression really was a reach too far, even if they're staying put on this decision I hope it'll prompt hesitancy in doing it again in the future.

It's certainly made me question buying cosmetics on PS4 for multiplatform games with a third party account, as someone who was otherwise happy to spend hundreds of pounds on them annually.