• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you or any of us know that Sony is blocking Epic from transferring purchases between different accounts?

We know Sony don't allow crossplay.
We know Sony don't allow you to link and carry purchases across to other platforms on the same account.

But why are you so sure it is Sony who is legally/contractually preventing Epic from transferring content purchased on an account tied to one platform, to an account on a different platform, when both accounts have the same owner?
You're right we don't know for certain. But all the evidence we have points to it being a result of Sony's policy and no evidence to the contrary. The only reason to suggest otherwise would be to cause confusion in an attempt to derail the thread.

Nov 18, 2017
You're right we don't know for certain. But all the evidence we have points to it being a result of Sony's policy and no evidence to the contrary. The only reason to suggest otherwise would be to cause confusion in an attempt to derail the thread.

Well if we asked them about transferring between an Xbox and a Switch account or two accounts on the same platform, and we got the same response, then it would be Epic's policy.

I'm not trying to cause confusion or derail the thread, I'm not a Sony shill, and I hope they get what's coming to them over their crossplay stance. It will affect my decision to purchase their next console. I think the way they're treating customer accounts in Fortnite is scandalous.

I'd just thought of a potential workaround to at least get content out of the Playstation eco-system and Epic have been unhelpful.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if we asked them about transferring between an Xbox and a Switch account or two accounts on the same platform, and we got the same response, then it would be Epic's policy.

I'm not trying to cause confusion or derail the thread, I'm not a Sony shill, and I hope they get what's coming to them over their crossplay stance. It will affect my decision to purchase their next console. I think the way they're treating customer accounts in Fortnite is scandalous.

I'd just thought of a potential workaround to at least get content out of the Playstation eco-system and Epic have been unhelpful.
I don't see how that's a potential solution. If they were allowed to transfer between accounts they would also be allowed to share accounts. Asking nicely isn't going to change things.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's just it - there is no 'xbox or switch account' - you just use the same account. And no, transferring stuff between completely different accounts is not the same thing, both policy wise or technology wise.

It would be completely trivial to read a data table of what your account has, and just transfer that to another account that isn't 'tainted' by the ps4 lock. But it would also just be a way of subverting the limitation that Sony is placing upon them, because it's Sony's policies holding the acounts locked in the first place.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Pubs are WAY more likely to sell multiple copies of a game if you can progress across them all.

Man, this is some weird fantasy land bubble where there's some sort of assumption that people buying multiple copies of the same game is in any way something other than a tiny drop in the bucket to be influencing policy decision.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is some weird fantasy land bubble where there's some sort of assumption that people buying multiple copies of the same game is in any way something other than a tiny drop in the bucket to be influencing policy decision.

To be fair that was in reply to someone saying that publishers don't want to do crossplay because it'll mean less game sales(?)

Just a few people saying that, anecdotally, they'd actually buy multiple copies if they could transfer progress.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair that was in reply to someone saying that publishers don't want to do crossplay because it'll mean less game sales(?)

Just a few people saying that, anecdotally, they'd actually buy multiple copies if they could transfer progress.

The same would be true for that scenario too. People buying multiple copies of the same game are insignificant regardless of the reason that people are throwing around.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The same would be true for that scenario too. People buying multiple copies of the same game are insignificant regardless of the reason that people are throwing around.
I mean, I agree? I'm literally responding to people saying that somehow they sell more copies by NOT allowing crossplay/crossprogression. I agree it's a drop in the bucket, but the point is there's no way they somehow lose sales because of it .

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
during that 2 hour period where Ps4 and Xbone Fortnite crossplay was on, as well as Psyonix stating I'm pretty sure, that it's easier for the devs if the online communities was a whole, and instead it is actually more work for them to divide it per platform.

Ah, I remember the "accidental" crossplay between PS4 and XB1. Seems like it's as easy as a switch flip.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
crossplay will help devs streamline their game update too. they wouldn't need to waste time making 2 seperate updates

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I agree? I'm literally responding to people saying that somehow they sell more copies by NOT allowing crossplay/crossprogression. I agree it's a drop in the bucket, but the point is there's no way they somehow lose sales because of it .

Well then why wouldn't you aim to shut down that notion by pointing out it's meaningless rather than dispute it by stating what you did. It seems silly to entertain the opposite possibility rather than just point out it's nonsense period.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
One of the reasons more developers and publishers (eg the vast majority) aren't pushing crossplay, especially the big ones, is because crossplay diminishes the need for and liklihood of double dipping. There's a lot of people out there who buy your Call of Duty's, Fifa's and other games on more than one platform, partly because of the lack of crossplay. That brings with it not just the additional software sales, but multiples of DLC and microtransaction investments too.

Similar to Sony, publishers are going to have to weigh up the business pro's and con's of crossplay, and I'm guessing many will not adopt it going forward.

I think you're probably over-estimating how much that double-dipping factors into sales volume, but just as importantly, I think when you look at the titles involved in console-to-console cross play (Fortnite, Minecraft, Rocket League, etc), let alone the much larger number with console-to-PC cross play, the idea that "most publishers" don't have a demonstrated interest in cross-play is simply wrong. And considering how plainly we're seeing those cross-play hooks already, in spite of the clear console market leader's hostile policies against it, I don't see how someone could conclude anything other than this being a desirable avenue for the market, all around.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Good to see IGN continue to beat the drum. If anyone can't see it, the title of the video is 'Sony's Stubborn Stance on Cross-play is Embarrassing'.

Theyre not making this any better for gamers, they're making this any better for developers... They're not making it any better for themselves. Why would I want to play a third party game on a PS4?

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons more developers and publishers (eg the vast majority) aren't pushing crossplay, especially the big ones, is because crossplay diminishes the need for and liklihood of double dipping. There's a lot of people out there who buy your Call of Duty's, Fifa's and other games on more than one platform, partly because of the lack of crossplay. That brings with it not just the additional software sales, but multiples of DLC and microtransaction investments too.

Similar to Sony, publishers are going to have to weigh up the business pro's and con's of crossplay, and I'm guessing many will not adopt it going forward.

Even if this was the case, the benefit to crossplay is none of the platforms have userbase install size risk. If platforms A B C exist, and A and B are huge but C is tiny, someone buying a copy of my game on C can still play with the users on A and B and will stick around, buy DLC, and stay engaged with the game, instead of being stuck with C's userbase only, which can lead even the best game to fail and not be able to have it's full experience.

Of course, Sony wants people to calculate that risk and buy a PS4 instead, but for third parties, the scenario I outlined is much more favorable to them as they get the benefit on being on A's userbase and being a big fish in the small pond that is C.

Oct 27, 2017
nah they have legit reasons, you not liking them is another story.

They absolutely do have a legit reason. But let's not forget why. They have a majority share, but now have worse hardware and a infastructure and services they can't keep up on compared to MS. Besides their exclusives their really isn't a reason to have one as they are being outclassed everywhere else. They are aware of this so keeping a walled garden is their business strategy.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They absolutely do have a legit reason. But let's not forget why. They have a majority share, but now have worse hardware and a infastructure and services they can't keep up on compared to MS. Besides their exclusives their really isn't a reason to have one as they are being outclassed everywhere else. They are aware of this so keeping a walled garden is their business strategy.

100% and that strategy never works out well. Except for Apple.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Repeated system wars despite previous bans and warnings.

and that is 1 reason where xbox has 0 to even buy the console.
also are you really comparing hardware here? the pro came out a whole year earlier than the xbox one x which also cost 100 bucks less. cmon man.
their services are fine and its not what their focus lies in.
Noone even cares about crossplay in the first place, you fail to see the bigger picture.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see IGN continue to beat the drum. If anyone can't see it, the title of the video is 'Sony's Stubborn Stance on Cross-play is Embarrassing'.

IGN said:
Theyre not making this any better for gamers, they're making this any better for developers... They're not making it any better for themselves. Why would I want to play a third party game on a PS4?

They're not making it any better for themselves

People specifically buy PS4s because their friends have PS4s. How can anyone, let alone a fucking games journalist, not understand how this benefits Sony?

Why would I want to play a third party game on PS4?

Well, it's pretty obvious really. If you own a PS4, and all of your friends own a PS4... why wouldn't you?

IGN should be embarrassed, frankly, at arguing their point so fucking poorly.

Oct 27, 2017
also are you really comparing hardware here? the pro came out a whole year earlier than the xbox one x which also cost 100 bucks less. cmon man.
Noone even cares about crossplay in the first place, you fail to see the bigger picture.

Yet everything I said was true.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They're not making it any better for themselves

People specifically buy PS4s because their friends have PS4s. How can anyone, let alone a fucking games journalist, not understand how this benefits Sony?

Well, it's pretty obvious really. If you own a PS4, and all of your friends own a PS4... why wouldn't you?

Because the landscape is changing. MS sees it as does Nintendo.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
So my new date plays Fortnite on PS4 and I play on the Switch.

We usually discuss the game, but we can't play together. Sad, really.
time you find another date, son. but first, go to your dating profile and write "Switch Only" so you won't find yourself again in the predicament you described above

and don't worry fam, plenty of other fishes in the sea with switches only

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
time you find another date, son. but first, go to your dating profile and write "Switch Only" so you won't find yourself again in the predicament you described above

and don't worry fam, plenty of other fishes in the sea with switches only
or Xboxes or PCs or Phones or whatever. Really anything but a ps4 tbh. That's the exclusive club with only the most attractive and intelligent partners, if only we were all so lucky.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

This sounds like you are talking about Switch.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Go on then, let's have the discussion again rather than just dropping by with drive-bys. What are the legit reasons?

People have been trying in every thread about this topic, only to get called out for being a "corporate shill", "corporate apologist" etc. I think people are simply tired.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, I'm this specific scenario (you and all of your friends owning PS4s) then you're probably going to buy on PS4. But I assume IGN's PC Editor (who said that) is someone who, like many gamers, owns multiple platforms and has friends on multiple platforms. I've hit a point now where, even if PS4 is the most popular console in my region, I know more people with Switch/Xbox/PC/iOS that I could play Fortnite with. Only have one gaming buddy who only has a PS4.

We all have PS4s. But the vast majority of us also have other platforms that can all play together.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Actually, if it weren't for the prominent Japanese third parties, I would be owning an Xbox One right now.
The service is much better on XBL compared to PSN.
And the Xbox One X blows the PS Pro out of the water.
The one thing PS has over the Xbox currently are Japanese games and the bigger playerbase

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
People have been trying in every thread about this topic, only to get called out for being a "corporate shill", "corporate apologist" etc. I think people are simply tired.

Not too tired to drop by and call someone a liar for posting about their Fortnite cross-play experience with their new date.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt Sony, or the majority of gamers going by Pro/1X sales, cares that they have "the worse hardware." That's a beginning of a gen thing. Base console sales are still the priority.

Features don't sell consoles, games do. Ironically the reason claimed to get a PS4.

Man, this crossplay thing has gotten to comedic levels at this point.