• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I appreciate Sakurai for all he has done. As other have said, his attention to detail is unparalleled. He has made fantastic character movesets, even though I wish he included more source material references in most of the cast (as he did in Megaman and Bayonetta).

Just hope the next Director will be able to design a game closer to melee gameplay wise. Smash sometimes has the completely flawed idea it's impossible to design a game which appeals simultaneously to the Competitive and to the Casual crowd.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If he stays on just to advise and make sure the game doesn't lose its unqiue feel that's fine. Maybe now we can get a stage hazard toggle like everything else in the game having a toggle.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I´m pretty sure the Nintendo Switch-Port of Smash 4 is already finished and Nintendo is sitting on it :-/

Ironically enough I had a same theory that it could be done but they were sitting on it for awhile but at same time they could extended the development and put more new contents into the game. Who knows. That's why they really need to announce the game soon because people are obviously hungry for it.

I just need a reason to put my Wii U away in the box unless they decided to cut few characters out of Smash 3DS and U then I'm going to keep it out then. Trust me, I hate to see characters getting cut. :P

If he stays on just to advise and make sure the game doesn't lose its unqiue feel that's fine. Maybe now we can get a stage hazard toggle like everything else in the game having a toggle.

Definitely. I can see few stages in needs for this, like Mega Man Stage.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully not, for two reasons:

1. Smash desperately needs some new blood in it after the lack of features and some extremely weird decisions 4 had like locking custom moves behind RNG.

2. Sakurai has shown that he can do better, just look at Kid Icarus Uprising.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good even if he's a consultant, he'll always have a footprint and will be able to maneuver the game where he wants it to go.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'm fine with him being consultant for what's likely going to be a significant upgrade. With him being basically the "curator" for the video game museum that is Smash, it makes sense that he's not explicitly needed to oversee every facet of a new "wing" being added on.

I'm only more interested in what he could be doing next. I still say that since the race was apparently so close between him choosing StarFox and Kid Icarus, that maybe he'll choose Fox this around.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Consultant sounds perfect, I think Smash will need a fresh face going forward, and Sakurai isn't getting any younger.

"Don't you motherfuckers dare post the Sakurai de-aging memes!"

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd be OK with him taking a simple consultant role.
I want a AAA project by Sakurai in the vein of Uprising, a big, single-player focused game, hopefully a new IP.
I'm positive about the possibility of someone else making a great Smash game because whoever is going to be, will have the entirety of Nintendo looking over his shoulders for the entire development.
Fucking up is not an option with Smash, I feel it would turn out great even with someone like Inafune working on it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I could see them calling him back like John Wick. The Switch deserves a Smash Bros. you can count on.

That said I'd really like Sakurai to work on a Kid Icarus: Uprising 2.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lol what? Just because the fan community has a specific ruleset that's been worked on for over a decade doesn't mean game designers are going to use that for a certain mode. I get wanting more stages for For Glory, but to say he's trolling by making it Omega Stages is ridiculous.

The same dude removed it next game which in turn means he listened to community feedback. You are also ignoring all the good he has done for this series and nitpicking things that aren't perfection.

I appreciate the good. Now time to step aside.

Miyamoto is a genius, but can still be criticized for shit like wii music, star for zero, and destroying paper Mario.

Appreciation and criticism not mutually exclusive.

The fact the tripping was ever in shows a fundamental issue. Namco probably pushed against including it.

Nov 17, 2017
As long as we never get another melee again whatever is fine.
Same. I guess this is the main point of contention here when it comes to wanting Sakurai back or not. Whether or not you want another game like Melee.

I feel like there are a few games out there or coming out that are there if people want Melee 2. Rivals of Aether, Brawlout, that game the Project M team are making.

I though Smash 4 was a great middle ground between Brawl and Melee. I think making it more competitive would be a downgrade.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Miyamoto is a genius, but can still be criticized for shit like wii music, star for zero, and destroying paper Mario.

The fact the tripping was ever in shows a fundamental issue. Namco probably pushed against including it.
Sure you can criticize, but calling him a troll for not having Battlefield or Smashville in FG is a poor thing to say and untrue. Japanese rulesets are very limited compared to the west. Smash 64 used only Dreamland, Melee used only FD and Battlefield, Brawl used only FD, Smashville, and Battlefield. Nintendo also doesn't make their rules based off fan rules as seen by their Smash tournament.

And honestly as a fan of this series since Smash 64, I would only play on FD for "competitiveness" until I got involved with the tournament scene.

Mario123311

Nov 2, 2017
Kirkland, Washington
I swear to god if that generic "Llyoid Irving" dude gets in to be alongside Pac-Man instead of Klonoa I'm going to stick with Wii U modding instead. It was dissapointing enough when Sega and Capcom both got secondary DLC characters while Namco was left with one from the base game.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sure you can criticize, but calling him a troll for not having Battlefield or Smashville in FG is a poor thing to say and untrue. Japanese rulesets are very limited compared to the west. Smash 64 used only Dreamland, Melee used only FD and Battlefield, Brawl used only FD, Smashville, and Battlefield. Nintendo also doesn't make their rules based off fan rules as seen by their Smash tournament.

And honestly as a fan of this series since Smash 64, I would only play on FD for "competitiveness" until I got involved with the tournament scene.

I think that the sucky online is Sakurais way of insisting you play the game the way he wants (locally).

That's just my interpretation based on his prior statements and actions.

This attitude is prevalapr even in his other games like kid Icarus uprising.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I hope he's not the director.

He created an amazing template for Smash, but his stubbornness is keeping the series from fulfilling it's potential.

The game needs better online, better local party modes, a better balance between competitive and casual play, and more customization options (stsge hazard toggles, etc.)

He's like George Lucas. Created an amazing series but he needs to let go of his baby as he's actively hurting it.
The game seems to be thriving competitively and casual players have always loved the game. I'm not sure what the issue is there. I'd love stage hazard toggles, but it's a pretty minor request. Online seems to work just fine for me.

Frankly, it's Sakurai's attention to detail and ability to have each character's charm really shine though that has made Smash the only game of its type to really matter.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. Smash has stagnated in terms of gameplay, features and online offerings, so it's about time for some advancements imo.
I can't really see how this true at all. What games are advancing this genre?

Pretty much how I feel

I have little interest in another Smash if it's just Brawl 3
Stahp.

A definite improvement over brawl.
But Smash 4 was lacking for competitive play and it's incredibly inaccessible to beginners because every match is a clusterfuck.

Classic mode? Senseless clusterfuck when it used to be nice and simple with fan service.
Stages change way too quickly or have hazards that can be removed.
Lowest item frequency too high.
The board game mode? Interesting idea but horrible execution. Again just a confusing clusterfuck.
8 player smash? Confusing clusterfuck.
Again, the game is thriving competitively, and I've never heard casual players say the game is hard to play.

Also 8 player Smash is a godsend, but you don't have to play it if it's too chaotic for you.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Online is fine? I've played a ton of Smash 4 online with randoms and friends. I can play one on one, teams or free-for-all. I don't really get where you're coming from with this.

Same here. I know there are occasionally lags but that's on people who used WiFi as their source for the internet. Like I always emphasized in other threads, Buy LAN Adapter and get it wired to maximum your enjoyment.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

He created an amazing template for Smash, but his stubbornness is keeping the series from fulfilling it's potential.

The game needs better online, better local party modes, a better balance between competitive and casual play, and more customization options (stsge hazard toggles, etc.)

He's like George Lucas. Created an amazing series but he needs to let go of his baby as he's actively hurting it.

Agreed, though he's no where near as bad as Lucas was, who's made so many mistakes that you have to wonder how much he really had a hand in making the Star Wars people actually like.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I hope he doesn't. I feel he was being spread thin when working on the last one and at the same time new blood might do the series good.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A smash without him has the chance to actually bea good game. Nintendo should have just hired the Project M team.

This has to be a joke post.

Miaymoto has nothing to do with "destroying Paper Mario". This myth needs to die.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I used a wired connection and I'm baffled that some of you are defending the online in Smash 4. Like, I could tolerate the fairly poor online offerings in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and I can't stand the online in Smash 4.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the mystery project Sakurai is currently working on, may very well be his final game as a Director. After that, he'll likely become an overseer of things like the Smash Bros. series.

Oct 27, 2017
I used a wired connection and I'm baffled that some of you are defending the online in Smash 4. Like, I could tolerate the fairly poor online offerings in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and I can't stand the online in Smash 4.
I use wireless and could play matches without lag. Do you want some of us to pretend it was shitty for us when it wasn't?

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The series is nor hurting at all lol. The fuck you talking about

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
The best game in the series, Melee, is, not coincidentally, the one Sakurai had the least amount of influence on due to being rushed heavily. Really makes you think...

Nah. Melee is a great competitive game but for most players Smash 4 is the best entry. It has better controls for beginners and is more balanced. It has significantly more characters and it has more options. The only areas Melee has it beat for the average player are maybe Stages and Single Player modes.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I think that the sucky online is Sakurais way of insisting you play the game the way he wants (locally).

That's just my interpretation based on his prior statements and actions.

This attitude is prevalapr even in his other games like kid Icarus uprising.

Oh come on, man. This is just conspiracy theory nonsense and you know it.

The best game in the series, Melee, is, not coincidentally, the one Sakurai had the least amount of influence on due to being rushed heavily. Really makes you think...

Again, you have zero evidence that Melee was the one Sakurai "had the least amount of influence on".

Can we not turn this thread into a shitty Melee vs Smash 4 one?

I realize the irony that I just helped contribute to it, but sadly, topics of this nature are a magnet for that subject.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've made my points and people are free to disagree.

I want the next smash to have better online. It's not just about netcode, but more features. For example there were no achievements for playing online in smash 4. It felt like a separate mode instead of being properly integrated.

Also, brawl and 4 have increasingly added what I consider bloat but not much substance. Stadium modes have become less fun. Classic was horrible. Smash run was horribly executed. Custom moves were bloat snd dlc characters didn't even get custom moves or event matches.

Sakurai has done amazing things creating smash. I just think he is now holding it back and not the right person to take it to the next level.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really see how this true at all. What games are advancing this genre?
I didn't compare it to other platform fighters.

And one such advancement would be to allow parties to search for randoms. For example, why can't I party up with an online friend and search for 2 randoms to play against? Then there's being able to play with settings we want, like stock matches and anything other than Omega stages in the unnecessarily limited selection of playlists. etc.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't compare it to other platform fighters.

And one such advancement would be to allow parties to search for randoms. For example, why can't I party up with an online friend and search for 2 randoms to play against? Then there's being able to play with settings we want, like stock matches and anything other than Omega stages in the unnecessarily limited selection of playlists. etc.

THIS! THIS! I was disappointed when I found out that I can't partner up with my friend over the internet to face other team online randomly.

MrHeisenbird

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Behavior - Please do not insult developers you don’t like, including calling them “losers.”
The sooner Smash moves on without this loser the better.

Maybe it can get the mechanical design and balance patches needed to be a better competitive game. The community has done so much to make Melee and Smash 4 what they are today, so Nintendo and the like need to accept that we want a quality fighter and embrace that.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe it can get the mechanical design and balance patches needed to be a better competitive game. The community has done so much to make Melee and Smash 4 what they are today, so Nintendo and the like need to accept that we want a quality fighter and embrace that.

This is definitely a take of some kind

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
If the rumors about Metroid Prime 4 and Smash are true about how Bamco is involved, should Nintendo start considering buying out Namco from Bandai at this point?

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to love smash again. If homeboy is gonna be tripping on his own shoelaces for the 3rd time in a row, I could not give a single fuck when there are several other fighting games I like that actually reward you for putting in the work to get good, with no bullshit thrown in. Even Pokken, as a first effort filled to the brim with beam spam meta, is a more compelling title.

You can pick a character like Jack 7 or Lucky Chloe in Tekken 7 and win tourneys and otherwise smash faces in with them, but in Smash 4 if you pick Gannon or Wii Fit and even try be 100% serious you're gonna have a bad time. That's stupid, and reworks like PM - where everyone is awesome - show what missed potential modern smash is.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The sooner people like you stop passing the hottest of takes on the series and move on to something else, the better. The man made the series from scratch with Iwata and almost no initial enthusiasm or expectations from Nintendo, and he is the only reason the series has remained consistent in spirit. The day he stops being involved with the series will be a very dark moment.

Smash is a quality fighter. Stop saying "we" and speak for yourself. Plenty of people enjoy Smash 4 and it's not just because of the efforts of the community; it's because the game is fun to play.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just want to love smash again. If homeboy is gonna be tripping on his own shoelaces for the 3rd time in a row, I could not give a single fuck when there are several other fighting games I like that actually reward you for putting in the work to get good, with no bullshit thrown in. Even Pokken, as a first effort filled to the brim with beam spam meta, is a more compelling title.

You can pick a character like Jack 7 or Lucky Chloe in Tekken 7 and win tourneys and otherwise smash faces with them, but in Smash 4 if you pick Gannon or Wii Fit and even try be 100% serious you're gonna have a bad time. That's stupid, and reworks like PM - where everyone is awesome - show what missed potential modern smash is.

As someone who actually plays competitive Project M locally, you literally have no idea what you're talking about if you think someone is gonna show up with a Olimar or Bowser at a National and just destroy.