• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
spelheader1wcknk.png

Developer:
Mossmouth
with Blitworks

Platforms:
Steam (Sept. 29th) /
Playstation (Sept. 15th)
Switch (Summer 2021)
Xbox and Gamepass Jan 12th, 2022

Price:
$19.99

speljunglervjn5.png

DESCRIPTION

The sequel to the critically-acclaimed roguelike platformer, Spelunky 2 continues the adventure with Ana Spelunky, daughter of the first game's protagonist. The sequel features an adventure mode, with a deeper story and a stronger sense of community, as you rescue friends on your journey. It will feature branching paths, and plenty of traps and monsters and items.

puggunfdjaf.gif

You can also ride a turkey

spelunky2turkeygifuhkc4.gif

And even though the levels are randomized, you will still get more skilled over time! If you play enough, not only will you get good enough to beat the game, but you may start to unravel some of its deepest secrets...

secreeettssssx4kqs.gif

The sequel also features the co-op and versus modes from the first game but this time, you can play locally and online with friends and family around the world! Deathmatch has been expanded into something bigger called the Arena, which includes Deathmatch and a new competitive mode called Hold the Idol. Deathmatch was an underrated sleeper mode in the original game and has been improved with a new interface, features, and extended customization

spelcrewpic35knw.png

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Quad Core 2.6 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 750
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 600 MB available space
Additional Notes: Gamepad Recommended

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Network: Broadband Internet connection

spel3vampire5mkwl.png

MEDIA

sc8hzo.png

50196601591_f013a72d6f_h.jpg

sc8hzu.png

spel3volcanic5mkpj.png

TROPHIES
(yes, the game has a platinum)
e8cddc6a-a6f5-4df8-97gj5d.jpeg

fd345bfc-215f-4d18-b37jg2.jpeg

REVIEWS

IGN : 10/10
I wasn't sure what I wanted out of a sequel to Spelunky, given how high of a pedestal I keep the original game on – how do you improve upon a game like that? But Mossmouth took its time and managed to deliver a masterpiece that improves upon its predecessor in ways I never even would have imagined. Spelunky 2 takes everything that made the original great and expands upon each of those individual aspects without ever over complicating the elegant, retro simplicity of its 2D platforming. It doesn't do much to win over people who already weren't fans of the original's unforgiving difficulty, but as someone who is more than 200 runs in and feels like he's only scratched the surface, Spelunky 2 is a game that I see myself playing for a long, long time.
Edge Magazine: 9/10
If, as Roger Ebert said, movies are a machine that generates empathy, then Spelunky 2, even more so than the original, is a machine for generating surprise. And, inevitably, its close cousin: delight.
Polygon : Recommended

You know when you finish a movie or book or game you love, and you wish you could experience it again for the first time? That's what it has felt like to play Spelunky 2. I get to play my favorite game for the first time all over again.

This isn't a sequel. It's yet another chance to play Spelunky with fresh eyes; everything is just a little different, another stroke that proves perfection is imperfect. Even the best can get better.

metacritic
opencritic

RELEVANT THREADS

Spelunky OT

Spelunky 2 announced
Spelunky 2 Release Date Thread

Spelunky 2 Review Thread
Spelunky 2 has developed quite the fan art recently...
(will link when dropped lmao)

il_570xn.1306391178_l44jnt.png

ERA FRIENDS LIST

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Derek Yu wrote the book on Spelunky... literally!
Check it out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1940535115/?tag=era0f0-20

product_spelunky_book_main.jpg

The Making of Spelunky was featured in a No Clip Documentary. Highly Recommend
Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv434Xyybqc&t=1s

Spelunky+Doc.00_43_07_10.Still007.jpg

SHOUT OUTS
thanks to Noise for the thread title suggestion and to Mullet2000 for perfecting it
and thanks to Actinium for the alternate OT title as well :)

happy spelunky-ing

🍆🍆CHECK THREADMARKS FOR SUPER USEFUL TIPS!!🍆🍆

spelphotof7k8l.jpg

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Nice job on the thread!

It's this release of all things that makes me the most nostalgic for my Vita. I wasn't very good at the original game, but those daily challenges had me locked in for a couple of months of constant play.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Cool thread!

Time to avoid Spelunky 2 videos that pop up on YouTube until Sept. 29th. The staggered release hurts a bit but it does not hurt my excitement.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
What?, already has a 9/10 from Edge Magazine?
Yeah, pretty sure the game has something severely wrong with it.
/s A game that I haven't played deserves a 10.
/s/s Edge review scores get published online early for the most part. Very excited to play. Roguelikes and games with tons of secrets are a little strange to get quick reviews out of but such is the nature of things.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Great OT!

Can't wait to dig into this. Even though I only finished the original Spelunky only twice or thrice, and never even beat Yama, this has been one of my most anticipated titles of the last couple of years. I've played the first game so much on 360, Vita and now PS4. I can't wait to play this one on PS4, PS5 and hopefully Switch down the line. Is it the 15th yet?

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice job on the thread!

It's this release of all things that makes me the most nostalgic for my Vita. I wasn't very good at the original game, but those daily challenges had me locked in for a couple of months of constant play.
Same here. I must have put over 200 hours in the Vita version. This would be so great on the Switch/Lite. I'll have to wait until PS5 drops to buy this on PSN since I don't have the PS4 anymore.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Day 1 PS4. Probably going to try to avoid the thread and Twitch for at least a few days after release to try and figure some stuff out for myself. We'll see how long I last.

I'm also curious to see what the trophy list looks like.

b00

Oct 28, 2017
Great OT janusff!
Can't wait for the community to come together and discover all the insanity Derek Yu has in store for us. Hype!

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really nice OT, and top-tier OT title.

Excited to dive in - Spelunky is my most played Steam game and one of the best games I've ever played.

Blue Mage

Oct 29, 2017
Portland, OR
My hopes for a PSN preorder bonus dynamic theme with some relaxing Eirik Suhrke jazz are all but dashed at this point but I will persevere. XD

Great job on the thread, can't wait can't wait can't wait!

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Gonna have to hold off for 2 weeks for Steam.

I've made it my personal challenge to beat the first game properly before 2 drops. I fixed my Vita and I'm trying my best. I was hoping for a last minute sale on the original before 2 drops but Vita gonna be living a while longer.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to online play. Local play was always a chaotic mess and I loved it.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Incredibly excited, but I'm gonna be mostly staying away from this thread until probably October though for the PC release. Discovering all the new stuff is a big draw for me. Plus I'm working on getting all achievements on Spelunky 1 from a fresh save - journal is all filled out so now I'm doing Big Money. I have a problem of getting way too greedy and making risky moves via ghost when really as long as I make it to the City of Gold with a couple dozen bombs it should be in the bag, I don't even need to ghostrun much if at all.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
Day 1 for PS4 *and* PC!

Do we want to put in the OP those who are looking for friends for multiplayer and dailies? Here's what I have so far from the release date threads:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Day 1 for PS4 *and* PC!

Do we want to put in the OP those who are looking for friends for multiplayer and dailies? Here's what I have so far from the release date threads:

[Hidden content]
That'd be nice, I added y'all - Steam name is Stoze.

Also I think daily leaderboards this time around are ranked based on how far you get with time being the deciding factor for ties instead of purely score, but it could've been changed (mentioned in the Eggplant/Spelunky Showlike podcast a while back). If true that's way better than just gold amount imo and solves one of my main criticisms of the first game.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
That'd be nice, I added y'all - Steam name is Stoze.

Also I think daily leaderboards this time around are ranked based on how far you get with time being the deciding factor for ties instead of purely score, but it could've been changed (mentioned in the Eggplant/Spelunky Showlike podcast a while back). If true that's way better than just gold amount imo and solves one of my main criticisms of the first game.

Oh yeah, I *hated* having to ghost early levels for every possible diamond, only to randomly die to a tiki trap or something on level 2-3 and come in rank 2348 or something like that.

Baroni

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. I'm Baroni91 on PS4 and Baroni on Steam if you want to play multiplayer. Also gonna be looking if pre-order is available tomorrow.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, I *hated* having to ghost early levels for every possible diamond, only to randomly die to a tiki trap or something on level 2-3 and come in rank 2348 or something like that.
Yep. That's exactly how my Big Money runs are going right now too, sadly. Granted right now the Steam leaderboards aren't very competitive so if you do just get a successful run and beat Yama while causally collecting gold on the way I think you're pretty much guaranteed top 10, which is really nice, but that's how it should be from the get go and not because barely anyone still plays it.

Like I don't even want to get that good at high scoring because to do so means I'm turning my runs into hour+ long slogs. The WR run for high score is like 6 hours long or something, it's nuts.

Oct 27, 2017
I am so ready. To justify buying a PS4 to avoid waiting 2 weeks for Steam release I took some old stuff to a local videogame store.

Never thought I would own a ps4 but its pretty slick!

Played a lot of the original, one of my faves, send me a message if you have experience with spelunky and might want someone to play co-op campaign with!

Is the page not up yet on PS4 or am I not looking in the right place?

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Really wish they'd been able to swing a mac release for this one, but it sounds like they at least have plans to bring it to other consoles down the road...going to make an actual effort not to spoil any of this one for myself before I get a chance to play it which I did not manage at all for the original lol
In any case, very neat that it's actually almost here!

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have Tuesday's off. I can't freakin wait. Gonna spend all day on this lol. Oughta play 1 tomorrow! Never did beat Yama, not going to anytime soon, but it's been a while since a "plain" victory