• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
All I have to say is that I personally have no concerns at all about the game and it looks superior in EVERY WAY to Spider-Man 2. I would also ask you to reserve judgement until you play the actual game.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Don't get me wrong, the game still looks fantastic as a whole and the way Spider-Man does contextual animations while swinging looks flashy and great.

AntiqueOccasionalJavalina.gif

I just wish they opted for a more physics-based route and added an advanced swinging mode or something for fans looking for a more skill-based swinging system that did less on faking speed. I doubt they're going to make any major changes to the systems since the game is close to going gold but we'll see.
And yes, the speed seems slower in the new game. I'd like to point out the 2nd GIF is an awkward situation. The person threw out a web at the last second right above a rooftop, leaving no room for him to swing on an actual arc.

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
People are trying to make judgements off video comparisons of physics or camera movement.
What's the purpose of putting out game media if not to be judged?

Also not knocking you for this but can you elaborate on the design decision to cut momentum as shown in the gif I posted? Or is this unintended behavior?

Mar 10, 2018
Yeah, I also noticed that. Spidey diving off the top of the Empire State building and then swinging from a web right before he hits the ground should launch him into the stratosphere. But instead, it has the same effect as swinging from any other height. Disappointing.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Nobody complained who played it at E3. If anyone brought uo SM2 to me, it was to say that the swinging had finally eclipsed that game.

People are trying to make judgements off video comparisons of physics or camera movement. Those that have picked up the controller and understood how it /feels/ to play our game and combo the moves aren't walking away with any complaints

We are not trying to recreate SM2. We are doing our own thing, and if the hundreds of impressions from E3 are anything to go by, from fans to media to developers to executives from other publishers, we nailed the web-swinging

I don't like the way of thinking of "the majority is always right", a lot of people, me included, pointed out how Spiderman easly lose (or doesn't build up at all) momentum from that deep dive (and a lot of other occasions), and it's clear for anyone who know how simple physic works and live on planet Earth.

Yeah, we didn't played it, so it could clearly be less pronunced while you play it, but dismiss those opinions with a sort of: "a lot of people say the game plays good so we nailed the web-swinging and that's it" isn't really kind to say or to read, expecially from a dev of the game, it seems to dimish and ridiculize our opinions in regard.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that bothers me the most is the wall running. It's so.....rough. like there is no real transition into the running, it's just looks like hisnfeet automatically starts running. Like his legs don't prep for the run or anything. I don't like that at all.

I think in SP2, he used to do a little front flip that would initiate the running but I can't remember. I wish they had like a jump off point on each of the buildings where when you released from swinging, he would do some sort of trick to then initiate the running so it doesn't look so rough. It sounds like it would be hard to implement but it should be something I hoped they considered.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
This is off topic but I just watched a video of Spiderman 2's gameplay (haven't played it in years) because of this thread and oh man is Toby Maguire's flat delivery hilarious. Anyway, I'm sure the web slinging will be fine. In the video I saw there were moments where he couldn't leave the ground right and it look pretty bad. Spiderman 2018 will have nothing like that.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Enough with romanticizing Spider-Man 2, the general consensus is that this games traversal is superior, I haven't heard otherwise from someone that's gotten their hands on it. And yes, seeing a game and playing a game are two different things.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No, not amazing games, but there are plenty of spider-man games.

Yeah, most of them straight up mediocre or bad. It's not weird that they're being compared to one of like.. 3 games that are actually okay.

Insomniac shouldn't strive for what others have done before, and it doesn't look like they are.

Nov 30, 2017
OP you should definitely not get this game. I would hate to see you regret spending money.

They wont change it. It's to close to gold.

There are lots of us though that have watched the several minutes of actual gameplay and are really looking forward to another hi quality exclusive for our PS.

Webslinging is such a huge part of this game it will probably ruin the experience for you.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the way of thinking of "the majority is always right", a lot of people, me included, pointed out how Spiderman easly lose (or doesn't build up at all) momentum from that deep dive (and a lot of other occasions), and it's clear for anyone who know how simple physic works and live on planet Earth.

Yeah, we didn't played it, so it could clearly be less pronunced while you play it, but dismiss those opinions with a sort of: "a lot of people say the game plays good so we nailed the web-swinging and that's it" isn't really kind to say or to read, expecially from a dev of the game, it seems to dimish and ridiculize our opinions in regard.
I mean yes we're all watching videos meanwhile ppl have played it and given them feedback. I'm gonna listen to the play testers and ppl who've actually played before any of you absolutely

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if Spider-Man 2's approach is more realistic. A Spider-Man webline wouldn't be an entirely rigid rope, it would be something elastic like a bungee cord. So, while I don't think it looks quite right in the PS4 version, the idea of your fall speed being dampened as kinetic energy is absorbed by the webline seems plausible.

Overall it seems to have been done to facilitate different methods of traversal. When you can just transfer downwards speed into forward speed I imagine it would be very easy to keep hurling yourself forwards with swings rather than having to rely of free-running or web zip lines.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a real question?
well... yes.

After a dive, Spider-man has to shoot a web on a surface to propel himself in a different direction. Looking at those videos it happens instantly, without any inertia.

I mean, even if he managed to do it in record time, I'm pretty sure that it could violently rip his arms off.

So yeah, I'll admit the last time I took any interest in physics was in high school, so could someone explain to me how this is realistic?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
This bothered me in the Electro chase. It looked very floaty to me. Spider-Man 2's swinging felt like it had weight to it. No way to know for sure until I play the new game but it is a concern of mine.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
there's your problem, you are quick to judge all mainstream game critics as inept.

and man, the usage of mainstream game critics. Can't believe gaming is such a big culture nowadays that some things are considered mainstream.
I've gone on about this topic endlessly on here. You can check my post history to see my take on some of God of War's reviews for example where I break down how little they're actually explaining about the combat. Unless you're going to in-depth YouTube analyses for that sort of thing, that's the minscule amount of subtance you're gonna find in the average review (which is what I'm talking about when I say "mainstream" review).
To be fair, they've said his swing speed and what not can be upgraded, so we don't know that. You started out slow as hell at the beginning of SM2 as well.
The main issue I'm discussing isn't Spidey's speed as such, it's that it doesn't seem like it carries over naturally from one action to the next. One bungled up swing in Spider-Man 2 could completely kill your momentum, whereas here every single swing just looks the same. Wall-running is another good example, the way and angle at which you hit a wall really matters in 2, whereas this looks overly forgiving and not, well, truly momentum-based.

EDIT: as another example, just from this footage I can already tell you that you're not be able to do a full Z-axis loop like you could in Spider-Man 2.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
i mean we have a ton of accounts and impressions from all sorts of people who've actually played it vs. concerns of people who haven't touched it.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Enough with romanticizing Spider-Man 2, the general consensus is that this GameStop traversal is superior, I haven't heard otherwise from someone that's gotten their hands on it. And yes, seeing a game and playing a game are two different things.
Is the web-slinging GameStop exclusive?

EDIT: Boo, you edited it.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the new Spiderman that slow down when you start to swing is weird. Why are they doing that?

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Having played it last week, this is probably the last thing you should be concerned about. It feels fantastic.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
What's the purpose of putting out game media if not to be judged?

We put a hands on demo on the floor that thousands of people played. We got lots of in person feedback and judgement.

It's be like folks seeing footage of test drives of a car and complaining from the footage about it looked around one hairpin turn when they weren't behind the wheel.

Half the complaint there is because the camera moves from the dive position back to gameplay position which makes it feel like he's just hovering when people make slowdown GIFs of it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Worth linking to the original Reddit thread as well if it hasn't been already. Lots of discussion there.

Personally I think the new one looks great and don't have any concerns despite loving Spiderman 2 at the time.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
With the amount of previews and impressions this sounds like concern trolling tbh.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
always funny to see people feeling personally attacked when someone has some doubts about a game.

i think it looks a little sluggish and weightless.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enough with romanticizing Spider-Man 2, the general consensus is that this games traversal is superior, I haven't heard otherwise from someone that's gotten their hands on it. And yes, seeing a game and playing a game are two different things.

1) Most people haven't played Spider-Man 2 or played it in over a decade. So I seriously doubt that any journal is actually comparing the two when they say that.

2) even if it is superior (dubious) how much of that claim is down to the presentation itself being fantastic?

3) there have been many things pointed out in this thread where the Spider-Man 2 swinging is shown to have more depth and feedback for the player.

4) Even if the swinging in the new game is better thar doesn't mean that there still aren't thing that were done better in Spider-Man 2 that Insomniac can incorporate.

Just look how he realistically slides against this wall. Hardcore swinging, yo.

eusqJc.gif

That looks great. Add in a contextual animation for him backing against the side as he half runs along it with the web still in hand and it would be considered seemless.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody complained who played it at E3. If anyone brought uo SM2 to me, it was to say that the swinging had finally eclipsed that game.

People are trying to make judgements off video comparisons of physics or camera movement. Those that have picked up the controller and understood how it /feels/ to play our game and combo the moves aren't walking away with any complaints

We are not trying to recreate SM2. We are doing our own thing, and if the hundreds of impressions from E3 are anything to go by, from fans to media to developers to executives from other publishers, we nailed the web-swinging
The game could sell 20 million copies and have a 95 Metacritic and it still wouldn't make those few complaints any less valid. Nobody is denying that it is a very niche issue that the gaming community at large won't care for. You guys are working on something that looks amazing but I'm not sure hiding behind the reception so far is very constructive.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
In the new Spiderman that slow down when you start to swing is weird. Why are they doing that?

I think it's to stop you from descending as the animation for shooting a web plays. It could be a compromise between having the animation play too quickly, or allowing your height to change which could mess with the rhythm of swinging.

It doesn't seem to happen all of the time.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
We put a hands on demo on the floor that thousands of people played. We got lots of in person feedback and judgement.

It's be like folks seeing footage of test drives of a car and complaining from the footage about it looked around one hairpin turn when they weren't behind the wheel.

Half the complaint there is because the camera moves from the dive position back to gameplay position which makes it feel like he's just hovering when people make slowdown GIFs of it.
So you can only say things that look bad in footage actually looked bad if you happened to be the person behind the controller when it looked bad? I don't really get it. It's clear you're not into any negative feedback, probably especially since the game is so close to release now, but this dismissive attitude is really not giving me a good impression of the final product.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on jstevenson to clear things up.

For me I don't find it realistic to go from a vertical dive to a quick boost on a websling. Probably if he dived on an arc.

Still, it wouldn't be something I complain about, just you know, dont get how that is realistic. It's a smart gameplay mechanic though.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Disappointing to hear you say that. There are a lot of things that could be polished. People aren't saying that you should perfectly recreated the physics model of SM2, rather there are elements that would be nice to see incorporated.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Just one thing I am afraid of (regarding swinging): as OP said, spidey starts swinging almost before he even shoots his web, you dont have to time it, just press the button and you know you are safe. It looks like this in my eyes, hope you got some gif providing me with some different outcome.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Game looks fantastic to me, but yeah that gif in OP is the first thing to give me pause for concern.

Edit: lol some interesting interpretations of what physics means in this thread.

Momentum is obviously not conserved in that gif, even if much of the system for swinging is based on (ie not an entirely accurate simulation) physics, that particularly thing appears to have prioritised slick animation over player agency.

Which was a problem with other Spider-Man games since 2. They tried to make it so the player always looks cool, but it came at the expense of nuanced control and meaningful input.

I'm not saying Spider-Man 2 was perfect, but that it allowed you to screw up was obviously a good thing, and it prioritised game feel over visually appealing animation.

Not writing the game off at all, but yeah, pause for concern that I didn't have before.

Last edited:

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
The devs keep using the word "momentum," but is that really what they're talking about from the footage? That word to me implies that you just keep getting faster and faster as you build up speed, and once you lose that momentum you'll be back to square one and start out slow again. This new game just doesn't look like that at all; Spider-Man seems to be reaching top speed (which is slow compared to 2) almost immediately, the speed of your previous action seems to have very little effect on how fast you'll go after. People have brought up numerous examples for this now.

When the devs say "we want you to keep up that momentum," it sounds to me more like they just don't want players to ever come to a screeching halt and get frustrated. They want players to be able to keep going very easily, which isn't really what I and many other players wanted out of this game. This is where this misunderstanding is coming from, when Insomniac say "momentum-" or "physics-based," they mean something completely different from what is commonly understood by those words in this specific context.

Momentum does not mean you get faster and faster, the underlined part is exactly what keeping momentum means.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Spiderman 2 was great for it's time, it's not aged all that well outside of the swinging, this looks better and more fun

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The swinging in this game is physics and skill based. The difference is the camera doesn't automatically follow in the direction of the swing, instead you control it, which if anything allows for more skill and creativity and you can pre-access and pre-prepare your route and direction in the middle of swinging.

Ironically just yesterday someone in the Spider-Man thread said they loaded up Spider-Man 2 and stated that it felt really rough. I think people need to take off those nostalgia goggles.

Personally I feel this looks far better, weightier and more realistic than in Spider-Man 2. It basically looks real.

spidergignew2.gif

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

This is what I figured when looking at some extended footage and how it's mostly stringing a bunch of traversal moves together seamlessly, but that doesn't invalidate people feeling a little disappointed if the swinging doesn't have the same weight as SM2; people may just have to appreciate the new game for its differences.

Oct 25, 2017
spider man 2 has literally 2 good things about it (coincidence?), the web swinging and that warehouse enemy rush thing
um excuse you pizza delivery was one of the best gameplay loops in any Spider-Man game

In any case though I kind of agree with OP, but I'm willing to give Insomniac the benefit of the doubt. I like physics based movement systems in games (Spidey, Sonic, Monkey Ball, Melee/PM, etc) but this looks close enough and fun regardless. Also Ultimate Spider-Man was way more fun than Spidey 2 imo anyway, including the webswinging. I hope this game recaptures that feeling.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The main issue I'm discussing isn't Spidey's speed as such, it's that it doesn't seem like it carries over naturally from one action to the next. One bungled up swing in Spider-Man 2 could completely kill your momentum, whereas here every single swing just looks the same. Wall-running is another good example, the way and angle at which you hit a wall really matters in 2, whereas this looks overly forgiving and not, well, truly momentum-based.

EDIT: as another example, just from this footage I can already tell you that you're not be able to do a full Z-axis loop like you could in Spider-Man 2.

I mean, I get what you guys are saying, but at some point you either need to accept that the "correct" way to do things isn't just copying Spider-Man 2. This is a different game, with a different open world, and devs that want Spider-Man to have a different feel. At some point I need to put some trust in the fact that every impression from people who have actually played the game has been straight up glowing. There's only so much analyzing gifs will do, without a controller in your hand. So much of what will make this game work (or not) is how it actually feels to play.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I figured when looking at some extended footage and how it's mostly stringing a bunch of traversal moves together, but that doesn't invalidate people feeling a little disappointed if the swinging doesn't have the same weight as SM2, people may have to appreciate it for its differences.
Ppl need to let Sm2 gooooooo it's two generations old

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
It looks to me like the swinging in the new game is more about momentum thatn actually physics and tbh, until we play it it's really hard to tell whether it's better or worse than Spiderman 2's swinging. From what we've heard though it seems like it's got more depth than what it looks like, so the signs at least seem good so far

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Yup OP. Also, the way that Spidey completely stops without inertia over some objects. The guy is at a super speed and then locks unhinged on a rail, post, ledge.... Is jarring.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Disappointing to hear you say that. There are a lot of things that could be polished. People aren't saying that you should perfectly recreated the physics model of SM2, rather there are elements that would be nice to see incorporated.

We are still trying to polish the game and make it better, every day.

But the whole thesis of this post and another Reddit post is that SM2 is the only way to do web-swinging. That's what I'm reacting against.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Hey maybe someday someone will make a Spider-Man web swinging sim that seems to be what Spider-Man 2 fans want.

I don't see anyone asking for a simulator.

Fans hold Spider-Man 2 as the pinnacle of swinging mechanics in these games, and are skeptical (based on visual evidence) of Spider-Man PS4 surpassing it. This discussion doesn't seem unreasonable to me - people praise parts of the game that look good, and express concern about parts of the game that don't look as good (to them).