Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day , we have games that don't transfer their saves with a PS5 upgrade and games that does.

This is confusing and should be explained why it's happening to users, so they know when they upgrade a game if their save will upgrade or not. We need more communication.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not so familiar with the PlayStation architecture, most of my experience is with the Xbox platform. The idea of "transferring" your save is strange to me. Is this not something that synchronizes in the cloud?

The last game I transferred a save to was from Borderlands 2 when the next gen version came out; but that was a separate remaster. Is the Miles Morales PS4 version not the same game as the PS5 version? I thought Matt said PlayStation had a form of Smart Delivery.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Its 2 different games, why is that so hard to understand.
Miles Morales PS4 and Miles Morales PS5 are 2 different games, you can buy each other on their own i can have a PS4 disc with that game and a PS5 disc with that game, It's really not different and neither hard to understand

But well, all companies can get away with shitty behaviors because people still pay regardless

May 12, 2020
Miles Morales PS4 and Miles Morales PS5 are 2 different games, you can buy each other on their own i can have a PS4 disc with that game and a PS5 disc with that game, It's really not different and neither hard to understand

But well, all companies can get away with shitty behaviors because people still pay regardless

Spiderman PS4 and Spiderman PS5 are different games. Just like The last of us and the last of us remastered.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for these two consoles to launch so the "concerned" madness ends.
My man, this is only starting, the first Digital Foundry report when one of them drops a frame or a pixel in comparison to the other... Be prepared for the first "Digital Foundry - Game X |OT2| Didn't have enough insults in the last one"

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
I am not so familiar with the PlayStation architecture, most of my experience is with the Xbox platform. The idea of "transferring" your save is strange to me. Is this not something that synchronizes in the cloud?

The last game I transferred a save to was from Borderlands 2 when the next gen version came out; but that was a separate remaster. Is the Miles Morales PS4 version not the same game as the PS5 version? I thought Matt said PlayStation had a form of Smart Delivery.

Sony's version of (not so)smart delivery is to have completely separate versions that publishers can optionally link together using an entitlement system. If the two "different" games want to use the same save then it's up to the publisher to create a system for it.

Microsoft treats crossgen games as a single product with the same saves, same achievements, same DLC, etc. If a PS5 games does the free next-gen entitlement and goes out of its way to implement a bidirectional PS4<->PS5 save transfer system then it's "functionally" the same as smart delivery. The difference is that Microsoft supports and encourages these features at a basic system level.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not that interesting for these very specific cross-gen games.
Tell me about normal BC games. Will my saves transfer for the average ps4 game played via BC?

Sony really needs to clear up this whole BC mess.

Yes. I mean thats the obvious thing so if they fuck that up its a whole different thing. Your BC games should totally let you access your old saves.

99% sure BC games on PS5 will basically work like those games being shown on XSX over the last couple of days

Plum

May 31, 2018
Still trying to figure out what needed to be clarified when we already had games before Yakuza 7 that were going to have save transfers.

Here is Sony's policy on cross save - "it's up to the publisher".

Can't wait for these two consoles to launch so the "concerned" madness ends.

The "concerned" madness will end when it's made clear that we won't be losing our save games for everything but a few very specific cross-gen titles. We've already had two examples of games being unable to support cross-save on PS5, whilst supporting it on Xbox; what's to say that every 'PS5 upgraded' title which isn't cross-gen will face the same issue? Will Cyberpunk saves carry over when the PS5 version comes out next year? What about TLoU:P2 saves in the rare chance they don't make us pay for a 'Remaster'? What about Avengers, which is a massive time-sink GaaS that saves locally; will people have to start again when the PS5 upgrade releases? We simply don't know, and Sony has yet to clarify anything in regards to that.

At the end of the day Sony's competitor is offering something much more consumer-friendly and clear than they are, and it's not console warring or platform trolling to point that fact out. We shouldn't just stop demanding Sony do better with this sort of stuff simply because some people think it's "madness," to do so.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, will it end though?
Nope. Shit will hit the fan with the first data sales from UK, Japan and America, the Digital Foundry 400% zoom faceoffs, the new acquisition announcements and speculations...

The first two years of any console generation always bring out the worst from any gaming comunity.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony's version of (not so)smart delivery is to have completely separate versions that publishers can optionally link together using an entitlement system. If the two "different" games want to use the same save then it's up to the publisher to create a system for it.

Microsoft treats crossgen games as a single product with the same saves, same achievements, same DLC, etc. If a PS5 games does the free next-gen entitlement and goes out of its way to implement a bidirectional PS4<->PS5 save transfer system then it's "functionally" the same as smart delivery. The difference is that Microsoft supports and encourages these features at a basic system level.

Thank you for elaborating, this is generally what I expected, and feared.
I wish the best to anyone jumping into this platform day one, but I'm staying away with a 60ft pole.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I know the use cases are low, but the ability to have my PS5 in the theater room and my PS4 in the bedroom and swap between them would be pretty cool.

By the way if you're looking at doing this then I don't think getting the PS5 version will be a good idea. AFAIK it seems like PS5 versions of cross-gen games won't work on PS4 (I may be wrong, but I've yet to find any evidence to the contrary), so if you get Miles Morales for PS5 it'll be locked to that console.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
By the way if you're looking at doing this then I don't think getting the PS5 version will be a good idea. AFAIK it seems like PS5 versions of cross-gen games won't work on PS4 (I may be wrong, but I've yet to find any evidence to the contrary), so if you get Miles Morales for PS5 it'll be locked to that console.
A very good point! I'm probably not going to do this myself, but the option would be nice for people who would.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
So....I get that Spidey 2018 is getting a remaster, and that it's "a different game/sku" and that's why the saves won't transfer over. But, I wonder: I was expecting that Miles PS4 to Miles PS5 would also benefit from an equal facelift. That Miles PS5 is just as much a jump over Miles PS4 as the Remaster will be over Spidey PS4.

Get what I'm saying? It's odd for the saves to work cross-platform in one case, and not in the other, imo. Is it because they're desigining it with cross-save in mind, and it's just too much trouble to try and make that work retroactively on Spidey PS4?

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
The "concerned" madness will end when it's made clear that we won't be losing our save games for everything but a few very specific cross-gen titles. We've already had two examples of games being unable to support cross-save on PS5, whilst supporting it on Xbox; what's to say that every 'PS5 upgraded' title which isn't cross-gen will face the same issue? Will Cyberpunk saves carry over when the PS5 version comes out next year? What about TLoU:P2 saves in the rare chance they don't make us pay for a 'Remaster'? What about Avengers, which is a massive time-sink GaaS that saves locally; will people have to start again when the PS5 upgrade releases? We simply don't know, and Sony has yet to clarify anything in regards to that.

At the end of the day Sony's competitor is offering something much more consumer-friendly and clear than they are, and it's not console warring or platform trolling to point that fact out. We shouldn't just stop demanding Sony do better with this sort of stuff simply because some people think it's "madness," to do so.

How will Sony clarify this with every game. It's just like people who want a list of the 99% of games that are BC. If the complaint is there isn't a unified system for game saves complain away but it seems the complaint is the need to "clarify". I just don't know what there is to clarify which I stated in my original post.

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, I think they just need to release footage of Spiderman Remastered so people can stop complaining about it being a port or that it should be free.

Plum

May 31, 2018
How will Sony clarify this with every game. It's just like people who want a list of the 99% of games that are BC. If the complaint is there isn't a unified system for game saves complain away but it seems the complaint is the need to "clarify". I just don't know what there is to clarify which I stated in my original post.

I don't care how when they should do it anyway. You shouldn't have to draft up a business strategy meeting to hold the opinion that Sony shouldn't be leaving publishers to be the bearers of bad news that they, through their own poor planning, made happen in the first place. This is Sony's own goal here, not third parties'.

Nov 14, 2017
So....I get that Spidey 2018 is getting a remaster, and that it's "a different game/sku" and that's why the saves won't transfer over. But, I wonder: I was expecting that Miles PS4 to Miles PS5 would also benefit from an equal facelift. That Miles PS5 is just as much a jump over Miles PS4 as the Remaster will be over Spidey PS4.

Get what I'm saying? It's odd for the saves to work cross-platform in one case, and not in the other, imo. Is it because they're desigining it with cross-save in mind, and it's just too much trouble to try and make that work retroactively on Spidey PS4?
Maybe Miles was developed with cross-gen in mind and so cross-save is possible, while Spider-Man wasn't, so it can't transfer saves to Remastered?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the confusion was around the whole Spider-Man PS5/remaster vs Spider-Man PS4 thing and the saves not transferring between the two?

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm getting my "they're the same picture" meme ready to go.

RT on and RT off:
spider-man-downgrade-1.jpg

Plum

May 31, 2018
LOL, that wouldn't stop it.

To even come close to stopping Spider-Man: Remastered would have to at least be noticeably superior to the free updates being given for other game. If Microsoft shows off Forza Horizon 4's next-gen update and it's got most of the same improvements that Spider-Man: Remastered has then, boy, that argument is never going to end lol

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
To even come close to stopping Spider-Man: Remastered would have to at least be noticeably superior to the free updates being given for other game. If Microsoft shows off Forza Horizon 4's next-gen update and it's got most of the same improvements that Spider-Man: Remastered has then, boy, that argument is never going to end lol

Microsoft has the luxury of porting their PC specific graphical features to the Series X.

Sony isn't in the same position with their hardware exclusive.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With its own trophies. Cross-save went out the window the moment they said it has its own Platinum.
And yet there were plenty of PS3 to Vita cross save games with their own trophy lists.
Few of the excuses hold water really, Sony just wants to sell the remaster as it's own separate thing and avoid giving a free update to existing owners.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
I don't care how when they should do it anyway. You shouldn't have to draft up a business strategy meeting to hold the opinion that Sony shouldn't be leaving publishers to be the bearers of bad news that they, through their own poor planning, made happen in the first place. This is Sony's own goal here, not third parties'.

I'll just leave it there. You seem to be taking your beef with Sony up with me. For their entire existence Sony's policy has been "it's up to the publishers" for nearly everything.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if Cross-save is the right term. Ideally that's how it would work, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a save transfer from ps4 to ps5.
As for Spiderman remastered, I imagine part of the difference is it being a remastered game with all of the DLC and a different trophy list. The same as The Last of Us Remastered at the beginning of this gen.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Microsoft has the luxury of porting their PC specific graphical features to the Series X.

Sony isn't in the same position with their hardware exclusive.

Even if this were exactly how you put it, the value for consumers doesn't change. They'd still be paying for a marginally better experience that people on another console can get for free. I'd liken it to full-priced Switch 3rd-party ports; yeah, I get why the publisher priced them that way, but I still don't think the price is any good.

(Though with this I can't imagine that a lot of the work wasn't already done when creating Miles Morales. It's set in the same city, uses the same engine, and features many of the same characters, after all)

I'll just leave it there. You seem to be taking your beef with Sony up with me. For their entire existence Sony's policy has been "it's up to the publishers" for nearly everything.

"Beef with Sony?"

I'm buying a Playstation 5 day one alongside two of Sony's first-party launch games. I won't be buying a Series X at launch, however.

The primary reason I care so much about this cross-save/next-gen upgrade stuff is that Sony's first-party titles and third-party exclusives are some of my favourite games around, whilst Microsoft's games are simply not on the same level at all.

Making this out to be some console war thing to discredit the fact that your only real argument is that "Sony couldn't and won't change, so get used to it," won't convince anyone.

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I find it insulting that people think Sony is a good guy instead of a compny driven by greed like all capitalist companies. Sony ain't your friend bud. You are just a trick

TiduzOmni

Oct 25, 2017
The reason it doesnt work for spiderman is that it has a seperate trophy list with new trophies.

Its like the different region saves and dlc being different