• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I wish they hadn't revealed Oscorp doesn't exist in the mainline MCU. After watching the Goblin fight in the apartment, I realized that the MCU Spider-Man movies have been sorely missing a villain who can go toe-to-toe with Peter.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Had a day to think about the movie.

Aunt May's death scene and Garfield saving MJ were 2 top-5 MCU moments and maybe the best two moments in ANY Spider-Man film - change my mind (you won't).

The dawning realization that Aunt May IS Uncle Ben in this story. The power of the scene when we've had 4 movies of a really likable Marissa Tomei and not, like, 12 minutes of Martin Sheen or Cliff Robertson. The brilliant acting and writing in the scene, where they managed to avoid a tropey death where the dying parent-figure gives some profound last words before a dramatic final deathrattle. The idea that May thought, at every turn, that she was going to survive this and then didn't - and the brutality of that for Peter. There were no soft edges to it and nobody can fucking talk about the MCU lacking "stakes" here.

That scene will stick with me for some time.
I liked how Peter's mantra of WGPCGR means so much more here since May was actually aware of Peter's great powers.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they hadn't revealed Oscorp doesn't exist in the mainline MCU. After watching the Goblin fight in the apartment, I realized that the MCU Spider-Man movies have been sorely missing a villain who can go toe-to-toe with Peter.

They don't want to do Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin again. And it's clear they don't want to do the Harry Osborn story again.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I might get some flack for this, but I didn't much care for Dr. Strange in the movie. I thought he just kind of created a vase for Peter to knock over and clean up and knock over again. I get that this is a lighter series of films than "The Avengers" I thought they two were a bad pairing.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Its not really a plot hole. All the villains were transported right before their deaths. The Peters just got transported to the MCU from whatever current day was in that universe.

The magic spell just sucks whatever current (living) version of Peter/people who know about Peter into the universe.
Why would the Peters be treated differently though? It had me thinking for much of their time that they were pulled from before their own deaths, but I guess that would have been too tragic.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its not really a plot hole. All the villains were transported right before their deaths. The Peters just got transported to the MCU from whatever current day was in that universe.

The magic spell just sucks whatever current (living) version of Peter/people who know about Peter into the universe.

Shouldn't Dunst's MJ and Stone's Gwen have been pulled in then? Since they explicitly knew? And also both Harrys?

(Probably shouldn't think too much about it.)

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Is there a good screen capture of the new costume yet?
best I can find

FGw_xudXIAMNpPD.png

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish there would've been a scene with a shit ton of random Spider-Mans, like a damn army. Cause you know there are way more than three Peters.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't Dunst's MJ and Stone's Gwen have been pulled in then? Since they explicitly knew? And also both Harrys?

(Probably shouldn't look too deeply into it.)

Well the real answer to that is maybe they did. This all took place in one night. Tobey and Andrew were both wandering around figuring shit out for a few hours before they were brought in. Just like Eddie Brock barely gets to a hotel bar before being excised, they could have been around and sent back too.

Oct 25, 2017

(Probably shouldn't think too much about it.)

I think they didn't because Strange managed to cancel the spell before they could be pulled in. I remember he said something about him cancelling the spell, but the villains "managed to slip through". So I guess if Strange took longer to do something about it, more and more people, from those dimensions and even others, would have been pulled through as well.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if the writers considered that they weaved in so many character traits of these movies, but in making Garfield the one who misses his dead girlfriend, they kind of forgot to make Tobey instantly regret being pulled into this world without Dunst.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Does Tom Holland's Peter have an actual Uncle Ben? I don't think they ever actually said it.

Oh and I feel like Ned talking about how he'll never turn into a supervillain that will try to kill Peter definitely felt like foreshadowing. He made that promise after getting a heads up about how other best friends of Peter turned on him. But now that's not on the cards anymore as he no longer has any of his previous knowledge. So maybe we'll get that heel turn? Maybe he somehow gets his hands on Green Goblin's tech and becomes the Hobgoblin?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
also am I crazy or was dafoe's gobby, like, way better in this? like holy shit better? was kind of blown away by that. there's a part in the hallway, I think, where it's the first time peter's punching the shit out of his face and dafoe's just maniacally smiling through it and channels some lighthouse-esque energy

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Oscorp being founded could be a plot point for a future movie, with Peter trying to investigate if they're up to anything shady.

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if the writers considered that they weaved in so many character traits of these movies, but in making Garfield the one who misses his dead girlfriend, they kind of forgot to make Tobey instantly regret being pulled into this world without Dunst.

They both mention that they wanted to help (the line was "Peter needs our help" or something to that effect) and I got the impression that they knew this was temporary, since they also needed to get back home.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Does Tom Holland's Peter have an actual Uncle Ben? I don't think they ever actually said it.

Oh and I feel like Ned talking about how he'll never turn into a supervillain that will try to kill Peter definitely felt like foreshadowing. He made that promise after getting a heads up about how other best friends of Peter turned on him. But now that's not on the cards anymore as he no longer has any of his previous knowledge. So maybe we'll get that heel turn? Maybe he somehow gets his hands on Green Goblin's tech and becomes the Hobgoblin?
I hope not. I don't want to see Ned become a villain. I feel like he's too pure and wouldn't have a reason to really do anything, unless they force a reason with him hating Spider-Man for some reason.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
What a movie!!!! It's everything I could want in a spiderman movie. I did not expect a movie that was that emotional, probably the most emotional movie in the MCU.

What a build up, we had so many movies with this spiderman, many saying he is lacking key aspects of spiderman, he hasn't really been that classic Manhattan swinging solo hero in these movies. And as it turns out this movie is this spider-man's origin story, it's amazing. Using May as his Ben moment. Having Green Goblin again be the source of the most pain for spiderman. And having other two spiderman be there for Tom's Peter at his worst moment was beautiful. And Peter at the end makes the biggest sacrifice ,at least for now, because he is going to be the classic take on spiderman. It's a clever way to pull him from always being involved in these mega avenger events and get back to basics.

Everyone did a great job, holy shut Tom Holland can act, wow. Dafoe kills it, I liked him better here than in the first movie, he was brutal. Zendaya finally really comes into her own, I was kind of iffy on the character but she really shines in this one.

A can't believe we got something this nuts on screen. A movie with a ton of villains, three Spider-Man, he fights Dr. strange, so wild.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
also am I crazy or was dafoe's gobby, like, way better in this? like holy shit better? was kind of blown away by that. there's a part in the hallway, I think, where it's the first time peter's punching the shit out of his face and dafoe's just maniacally smiling through it and channels some lighthouse-esque energy

Willem Dafoe is an 4 time Academy Award nominated actor. Giving him 20 years to think about how to make this character even better probably had something to do with it.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
So, how old do we think Tobey-Man is in this ?
Because damn, dude got old

Disregarding Tobey's IRL age, we could just use the real world time change since his movie came out. He became Spiderman in 2002 as a 17 year old. It's 2024 in the MCU(I think), so he should be 39. At the same time you could also say that Garfield's Spiderman should be 28(I think he was 16 in the first ASM).

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not just smiling through it, but his smile gets bigger with each punch he takes. So good.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Disregarding Tobey's IRL age, we could just use the real world time. He became Spiderman in 2002 as a 17 year old. It's 2024 in the MCU(I think), so he should be 39. At the same time you could also say that Garfield's Spiderman should be 28(I think he was 16 in the first ASM).

That moment when you realize Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker is the same age in NWH as Peter B. Parker was in Into the Spider-Verse.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much he's actually thought about this role over the years.
Probably not a lot. I figure since, until now, there had never been a reason for him to think about it. The role was done. How often do reboots recast the same person in the same role?

That, for me, is the most impressive thing though. He made the character even better. Absolutely incredible actor.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Between this and What If?, this man has proven himself to be deranged as hell this year. We wanted him to be the savior of the multiverse, but he's the damn problem 😂
Dude set it up so that if he was ever killed, a time displaced version of himself would show up to investigate because he only trusts himself to solve his own murder.

He's once unleashed Galactus on the mystical realms and only lead him back out because the only thing worse than Galactus eating planets was him feasting on mystical energy.

Dude thought it was fine to shoot the Hulk into space for "his own good" and when he came back enraged thought it'd be cool to make a pact with an elder God to stop him.. And still failed.

The guy recently thought it would be prefectly fine to send a bunch of Spider heroes into Spider-Man's SOUL!

Yet when the Super Hero Civil War happened he decided "As Sorcerer Supreme of this Universe I cannot take sides. It wouldn't be fair."

so basically the MCU version is pretty spot on.

Sep 6, 2020
Omg I JUST realized the back popping gag is yet another dunk on tobey faking a back injury to try to get more money for Spider-Man 2

Last edited:

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Garfield stole the show in this honestly. Seeing Tobey again was hype but Andrew was killer. Dude got such a raw deal

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
loved at the end strange was talking about all the people loving him forgetting who he is and then implicates himself with a we

strange can be a little fuck but there's a heart in there

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Why did Aunt May's 'scene' feel so clunky in execution

Because there are so many jokes and joke-delivery characters that just throwing this scene that goes in about 3 seconds from "Okay well I guess that all worked out." to "Green Goblin's gonna kill everyone!" you're confused as to what movie you're watching for a number of seconds.