• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Biggest pop of the movie for my crowd was Garfield saving MJ.

I'm not sure how I feel about Garfield Spidey going all Punisher, but I did like the nod to Ock Spider-man when he mentions that he stopped pulling his punches.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
A few more stray thoughts now that I've calmed down a bit.

- I don't like that they killed Aunt May, it would have been infinitely more tragic to make her forgot about Peter like everyone else.

- Dafoe killed it in this one. Almost 20 years later and he hasn't skipped a beat as Osborne.

- I haven't watched TASM2 but general consensus is that Foxx was done dirty no? He's absolutely great in this. He and Garfield really shined.

- Molina is good as well, I don't remember him being so angry in SM2 though. He almost always kept a pretty calm demeanor.

- Matt Murdock cameo was fun, I hope we get that new Daredevil show soon.

I still think I loved it. Maybe too much reliance on magic and Dr. Strange shenanigans but honestly it's fine.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still riding a high from last night. I wanna see it again but tickets are sold out for the next week. It's crazy.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
- I haven't watched TASM2 but general consensus is that Foxx was done dirty no? He's absolutely great in this. He and Garfield really shined.
yeah he is pretty terrible in amazing Spider-Man. This is completely different, to the point I thought it wasn't even going to be the same one from amazing Spider-Man. He was an almost cartoonish loner/"dweeb". And when he became electro the look was terrible, just a blue guy. This is much better

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm bummed that Andrew's Peter never found someone new after Gwen's death. They decided on him having no MJ in his world? And yes I remember Shailene Woodley filming scenes that were cut from ASM2.
Pretty much. After returning as spidey at the end of amazing 2, he decided Spidey was more important than Peter, so he leaned hard into that persona which meant he never had a chance to meet MJ or anyone else. Now he's probably gonna find that balance in his universe.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
This movie was awkward around dark things. They were passed over very quickly like they didnt want to go there. Yes I was about to kill the madman. Forget about that. Yes I just got stabbed. Happens all the time bro.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Immediate thoughts off the top of the dome:

- First half didn't do it for me. I feel like we didn't get a sense of everyone really knowing who Spider-Man was, nor was enough time invested with Osborne for Peter to have his own relationship with him. If he was gonna kill May, I needed a little more with him early on.

- Speaking of, Goblin killing May didn't do it for me. Emotionally, as a moment, it fell flat. I thought the way it was produced "I'm fine" *exterior shot* "oh shit I am dead" was also a tough momentum shift. But yeah it didn't work for me that a Green Goblin that Peter doesn't even know killed his aunt. It didn't hold enough weight.

+ Tobey and Andrew were amazing. No complaints other than wanting more of them. Emotional peak of the movie was Andrew saving MJ EASY. Tobey fell back into his Peter so easily, it was awesome to watch. Some interesting tidbits about their personal histories, too.

- action sequences as a whole were a bit of a let down. Not sure what else to say, but the choreography just seemed to forget about all the stuff that makes Spider-Man iconic. FFH, in my memory, surpassed it in this regard.

+ Where Peter is at the end of the movie is great and holds a ton of narrative potential.

- idk if I ever really bought in to MJ & Ned, but this movie was definitely MJ's best showing. I didn't like the opening where Peter and MJ did the whole slapstick nervous/meeting aunt may bit—felt like a weird reaction to high stakes—but not too many issues after that.

+ Oh also the Daredevil scene was sweet.

+ Dafoe's performance was *chef's kiss*

Oct 26, 2017
Minor gripe, but I wanted them to each say how long they've been Spiderman just like in the Spiderverse movie.

And I'm bummed that Andrew's Peter never found someone new after Gwen's death. They decided on him having no MJ in his world? And yes I remember Shailene Woodley filming scenes that were cut from ASM2.

Another thing. Although Tobey is more beloved, I agree with so many others that Andrew killed it. I loved him in this movie.

It fits with the ending of TASM2, where he completely gave up after Gwen died and had a lot of doubt as to whether he could save anyone. That's why he said that he decided to continue on as Spider-Man, because it's what she would've wanted. Even with that, I thought Andrewman had the most optimism. Him asking Tobeyman what it was like to have someone probably points to the direction that he'll find someone in a hypothetical TASM3 timeline.

On that note, the scene where both Peters try to help Hollandman after Aunt May died is probably the most emotional scene in the MCU (especially when that series is often maligned for either poor balancing of tones, or not having any emotional stakes). This is Spider-Man at its core and what makes this movie shine the brightest.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
When strange is first casting the spell and it breaks open to show the purple space, I thought for sure we were about to see the watcher turn his head over to look at the crack. Would've been a cool touch

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what do we want Peter to show up in next, since they have 1 more non-spidey film on the existing sony deal?

1. F4
2. Deadpool 3
3. Shang Chi 2

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the three Spider-Men were basically having a podcast about being Spider-Man before the Statue of Liberty fight lmaooo

Good ass movie.

But they were COWARDS for not killing Tobey. I get it though.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I think the most hype moment for me was actually Matt Murdock showing up. Seeing Daredevil on screen was totally unexpected for me while I had figured that Tobey and Andrew would be there with all the returning villains. Don't get me wrong all three Spider-men interacting was awesome especially with how it much more it made me appreciate Andrew Garfield's performance.

Gotta say though the end credits scene being a straight up trailer for Doctor Strange was a little underwhelming for me. The movie looks cool, but I would much rather have had a traditional silly teaser scene. I also can't get over how the plot looks like it is shaping up to literally be the final punchline of this ProZD video from 5 years ago

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That was amazing. Maybe the best MCU movie? Up there, the end had some genuinely heartfelt movies.

Also glad we can have an MCU venom not related to the Tom Hardy one.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It keeps getting said that the memory erasure is an out for Sony in case negotiations don't work out but this doesn't really make sense when a) people in the MCU absolutely still remember there being a Spider-Man and b) he still has one contractual appearance in a Marvel Studios film which was confirmed again by Rothman.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I believe Tom Holland's contract is done after NWH. They definitely need to talk to him about that next MCU appearance (and obviously more Spidey-led films and appearances).

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Loved every single second.

Andrew Garfield KILLED it. My favorite Spidey, as ND seeing somebody with his talent take on the emotional beats of this film was a joy.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Holland's Peter is gonna wear the black suit as set-up for fighting Tom Hardy's Venom.

Seems unlikely now they've sent Hardy's Venom back to his own Sony universe and they have confirmed Spider-Man will be staying in the MCU for at least another trilogy.

If they had plans for Hardy in the MCU they wouldn't have sent him back. It seems more likely they plan to do a different version of Venom for the MCU, maybe we will get Agent Venom after Spider-Man wear's the Symbiote in one of the next movies.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I really really thought they were gonna have the balls to kill Tobey.

Him saving Norman's life would've been his Logan moment.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't blame Sony for keeping Venom separate from Spiderman. Both draw for Sony. Venom 2 made more than Shang Chi right? Just unreal especially considering how bad Venom 2 is.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The whole packed theater I was in whem Dafoe recited his "I'm something of a scientist myself" speech:

05d.jpg

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
It's a crime that I can't go out right now and buy a high-quality action figure of Holland-Spidey's new costume at the end of the movie. Literally the only No Way Home figure I've been seeing online is JJJ, what are they doing?

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
Seems unlikely now they've sent Hardy's Venom back to his own Sony universe and they have confirmed Spider-Man will be staying in the MCU for at least another trilogy.

If they had plans for Hardy in the MCU they wouldn't have sent him back. It seems more likely they plan to do a different version of Venom for the MCU, maybe we will get Agent Venom after Spider-Man wear's the Symbiote in one of the next movies.
Exactly and I'm happy about this

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Just came back, and I have to say my hype was subdued, I think. Like, I feel more relieved it's all over (the waiting and dodging leaks wherever I could). I can't help but imagine what I would've been like if I had no idea Cox, Garfield, or McGuire would show up. I think I was more "WOWed" by Mysterio in FFH because it totally knocked me sideways. I can see why they (Watts I think) were saying it was like "Spider-man Endgame". It really feels like a solid "finale". I agree with the one poster that said it would've been more heartbreaking to have May live but forget Peter along with everyone else.

Also, about Peter's out of body experience since it was brought up a couple pages back: If you look closely at the head of Spider-man's body you'll see the trademark Spider-sense waves albeit rather faintly.

Also seeing that new, more home-made suit at the end was nice to see. I swear my first thought was "I hope people like KtotheRoc are happy with this" since I know people want to see him move away from the reliance on Stark tech. I saw a random Twitter post after the recent Hawkeye episode saying how they can see a Spider-man/Daredevil teamup with a Fisk-financed Scorpion and now I can't think of anything I want to see more.

Finally, I still haven't seen Venom but it was funny to me after seeing all that speculation about Holland Spidey fighting Hardy Venom and all we see is a potential tease of a future Symbiote Spidey. Gotta say I found the whole meta joke of Hardy/Garfield/McGuire wrapping their heads around a world filled with superheroes as opposed to their own unexpectedly tickled me.

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
Holland was GOATed Spiderman in this. Also him and Zendaya's chemistry is undeniable.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Enjoyed it outside of them using the whole "they all forget you" plot from the comics, which was one of the worst things to happen to the comics.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
It's been two days since I have seen it and I just can't stop thinking about Defoe's incredible performance. It's probably my favorite villain performance in a superhero film. Just masterful.

Ark

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I saw this on release here in the UK, I haven't gotten around to posting about it yet because I've been so busy, but here goes:

• Holy fuck have I missed seeing big movie releases on day one in the cinema. The atmosphere was incredible, I haven't felt that since seeing End Game
  • The moment Charlie Cox showed up is now etched into my mind forever. The entire cinema audibly gasped when he showed up - I lost my mind and turned to my girlfriend who had no idea why THE ENTIRE cinema was shocked because she's never seen the Netflix Marvel shows, so happy days I get to make her watch them :D
  • Doc Ock was amazing, really brought back some happy childhood memories of seeing Spiderman 2 in the cinema, and again with Willem Dafoe and seeing Spiderman 1 in the cinema. Incredible scenes and performances all around, same for Jamie Foxx too
  • "You know, I'm something of a scientist myself" was spectacularly delivered. Bravo. Entire cinema cracked up
  • When Ned slung open that portal and we all saw a distant wide-eyed Andrew Garfield in that alley, the entire cinema lost their shit and started clapping and cheering. In the UK. No one ever claps in the UK for a film lmao. I was so overcome with emotion and hype I actually teared up. This was incredible, just absolutely incredible. Honestly I think this may be one of the best moments in MCU history.
  • Obviously after Garfield shows up we know Tobey is showing up. Didn't make the reveal any less exciting, the cheering was even louder for Tobey.
  • The three Peter's sciencing it out was great to see, especially loved the subtle 'Spider-man pointing meme' bit they snuck in there, apparently a number of people didn't catch it, but it's definitely in there and I loved it.
  • The rest of the film was just fantastic. I need to sleep so I'll leave this list as it is, I've covered the most important bits.

Over all, Spider-man NWH is without a shadow of a doubt, the best Marvel film I've ever seen. Not a single moment of that film was wasted, not a single moment of it landed poorly. Every line was fantastic.

I'm desperate to go see it again.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic movie. I was expecting cameos, I was not expecting them to continue the old stories. They went all in with Garfield, both at being the less liked Spider-Man, and his reaction when he saved MJ broke me.

If there's one negative, it's the Bruce Campbell sized hole in the credits...

And I can't decide if giving JMS a special thanks at the end was an insult to him or not...

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
wtf i love andrew garfield spider-man now

I thought he was amazing(no pun intended), he was my favorite Spiderman of the 3 in this movie. That's quite the achievement considering how so many treat his Spidey compared to Tobey and Tom's. Hell I was no different.

I've commented several times that they have to get Tobey back, but Andrew wasn't necessary. I'm eating those words now because I loved Andrew in this would like to see more of him if they have any cool ideas.

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
Also Defoe was fucking epic. Chew that fucking screen