• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
giphy.gif
yea, Breath of the Wild is a terrible game because of this. :p

/s

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Not reading squat. Two years of trailers and impressions. Just want to get my filthy hands on this now.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I got to play two hours of Spider-Man and interview Bryan Intihar. The game is great. I did post this in the other thread, but seems like this is the "correct" one.

Hands On: Marvel's Spider-Man on PS4 Is Shaping Up to Be the Best Spider-Man Game Ever

The bottom line is that, even this early, we're confident in saying that Insomniac's made the best ever Spider-Man game here. It may well subscribe to every open world trope under the web-spinning sun, but when the end-product is this polished and consistent then that's not such a bad thing. Frankly, you'll already know whether you want this game, but we're more than happy to confirm that it meets expectations with aplomb.

Interview: Insomniac Games on Making Marvel's Spider-Man Its Own

Marvel's Spider-Man is shaping up to be the best Spider-Man game ever made, and we were lucky enough to sit down with creative director Bryan Intihar to learn a little more about the Insomniac Games developed PlayStation 4 exclusive. In our wide-ranging chat, we touched upon how the Burbank studio embarked upon imagining its own Spider-Verse, and we also learned the secrets behind the release's slick control scheme. Don't forget to read our hands on impressions through here.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
All this stuff sounds amazing. This for sure gonna get some juicy scores.

Also people and their hate for towers will never be not hilarious.

Saying hype deflated because of this so hyperbole.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yea, Breath of the Wild is terrible because of this. :p

/s

Well it was kind of crappy in Zelda. It was just climbing.

But I was somewhat joking with my comment. I actually don't mind how watch dogs does it with the sort of parkour puzzles they have to access the tower. Doing it that way is kind of fun, at least more so than just walking up to it and pressing X.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
And can we please not turn this thread into another one where it all resolves around one comment ignoring all the praise and focusing on one thing?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
RefOpZ0.gif

Posted before, but this suit is golden. Definitely be rocking this.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
The warring ideas of choice versus cinematics even impacts the game's combat. Insomniac is giving players a lot of options when it comes to how they'd like to play Spider-Man, along with an RPG-style skill tree that will allow them to unlock and focus on different abilities. But for truly important moments, the game kicks players over to a controversial quick-time event mechanic that feels more at home in 2008 than it does in 2018. It forces players into "playable" cutscenes that require pressing on-screen button prompts in the proper sequence and timing instead of actually playing the game.

I guess I have to lower my expectations towards the story-focused adventure. As seen in gameplay videos, the free-roam side of the game sounds like more fun but I'm worried about how long the fun of swinging around NY will last.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i am so fucking hyped for this game! which is the first time i have ever said that about any spider-man game to date. because as much as spider-man 2 is lauded over, outside of it's swinging it was still a steaming pile of shit movie license game.

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
Is this your first new exclusive game release with Era? If so, lol, just wait.....
Yeah we've been through the same thing with Horizon and then God of War. People have the really dumb complaints prior to the games launch and then what do you know the games are great and praised. When will people learn lol...game sounds phenomenal and it will be phenomenal.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Spider-Man incorporates the archaic mechanic of tower reveals, that is, points of interest that you have to find, travel to, and solve a puzzle at in order to reveal a map of the immediate area"
Since traversal is meant to be a core element/fun activity does it actually take away from the experience? I dunno, doesn't seem like that big of a deal but I do wish the industry would move away from the mechanic.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
This always looked like a generic open world game but with a Spiderman-colored coat of paint.
It's always looked very Ubi-ish to me, they'll have to nail the basic mechanics (seems like they have) of the game and story otherwise it might get boring.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
For shame, I've been forgotten:

Here's my lengthy preview of Spider-Man's early hours: Peter and his supporting cast, combat, skill trees, costumes, and the city itself.

It's quite good.

And here's a news article on just the costumes. Yeah, folks; OG Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider is in there and unlockable early on. I ended up unlocking it and using it for the rest of my demo.
Aww, only 25 suits? That's a little disappointing. The way they talked about it before in GameInformer's cover story gave me the impression that there's a whole bunch more. Still, stoked to hear Scarlet Spider made it! Guessing the hood is down, though...

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys if you want quotes from the previews post em here so Toumari can add them you cant expect him to read the previews and continue adding links within minutes.