cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I downloaded this game this morning. Played 4 matches, lost 4 matches, I was terrible but damn it's a lot of fun.

Just looking for any tips or suggestions since I'm totally new to the title.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a taste:

Between this, Mario Kart 8, and the jazz fusion battle music from Breath of the Wild (not to mention some of the jazzier and big band stuff going back to Super Mario 3D World), I'd say there are some jazz fans in Kyoto.

Reminds me a lot of Gravity Rush.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I downloaded this game this morning. Played 4 matches, lost 4 matches, I was terrible but damn it's a lot of fun.

Play the single player to get a handle on weapons and controls. Find a good weapon type. If you are using motion controls, tweak the sensitivity of the Gyro and the right stick.

For Turf Wars go right for the center of the map. You will be able to cover your base later when you get splatted. But you want to get a hold on the rest of the map first. But don't forget about your base, either. Be careful about super jumping. You could jump right into an insta-splat. Don't forget about your sub weapon. Splatting enemies is good but not the point of the game, paint the ground. Corners are important and others tend to forget about them. A few extra Ps can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017

Welcome to the party! Looks like my comment about your avatar meaning you were a perfect fit for the title was right on the money, LOL.

Yeah, single player first should ease you in.

Also if you need to you can use Recon by pressing Y while scrolling over a multiplayer match mode in order to check out the active stages ahead of time. The game displays the option, but it's really tiny on the UI. You can also press Y on the equipment menu in order to test whatever weapon you're currently scrolled over at the testing range. But playing single player will give you a way better grip on the game than either of those things.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Play the single player to get a handle on weapons and controls. Find a good weapon type. If you are using motion controls, tweak the sensitivity of the Gyro and the right stick.

For Turf Wars go right for the center of the map. You will be able to cover your base later when you get splatted. But you want to get a hold on the rest of the map first. But don't forget about your base, either. Be careful about super jumping. You could jump right into an insta-splat. Don't forget about your sub weapon. Splatting enemies is good but not the point of the game, paint the ground. Corners are important and others tend to forget about them. A few extra Ps can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Thank you, that helped a lot. I was originally playing like any other shooter and going after kills instead of focusing on area control.

Welcome to the party! Looks like my comment about your avatar meaning you were a perfect fit for the title was right on the money, LOL.

Yeah, single player first should ease you in.

Also if you need to you can use Recon by pressing Y while scrolling over a multiplayer match mode in order to check out the active stages ahead of time. The game displays the option, but it's really tiny on the UI. You can also press Y on the equipment menu in order to test whatever weapon you're currently scrolled over at the testing range. But playing single player will give you a way better grip on the game than either of those things.

Haha, yeah, good call. I've been hooked on it all day. Thanks for the heads up on the recon. I've been doing more multiplayer than single player but i did try out a few levels of the single player. I'm actually having a good time with that so I'll try to remember to go back to it in between some multiplayer matches.

One complaint I have though, I hate there doesn't seem to be a way to skip the intro movie that shows what maps are in rotation when I start the game.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
One complaint I have though, I hate there doesn't seem to be a way to skip the intro movie that shows what maps are in rotation when I start the game.

If it's the last game you're playing for the day and you put it to sleep while you're in the lobby (where you can select which online game type you want to play) on startup it will just have the "Maps and Ranked Games Updated" message and drop you right into the Square without the recap.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Got a survey from Nintendo on Splatoon 2. Made sure to add comments on how much I appreciate the free updates. They could have gone the way of Season Passes etc... but did not.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Well, this update did its job; I'm playing Spla2n regularly again! Maybe they were waiting until after Odyssey ran its course? Either way, I'm back, & I'm loving it (Except for Rainmaker...)!

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The second part of the big update will be released next Tuesday at 6pm PST

-Clam Blitz!
-Blaster buff with decreased "stun" time after a shot (7/60ths of a second)
-Splat Dualies and variants buff with increased damage (28 to 30)
-Brella nerf (less ink coverage per shot, 10% more ink consumption per shot, brella takes 50% more damage from chargers, 38% more from blasters)
-Range Blaster nerf with the special now requiring 200 points instead of 190
-Many maps are being changed (obstacles being rearranged, tower control path being changed, ink rails being added, etc)
-Disconnections right after splatfest matches have been fixed

Translation from Reddit

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So out of the things I speculated a few weeks ago we haven't gotten:

New Salmon Run Enemies/Waves
New Specials
New Sub Weapons

I still think they should definitely add more variety in Salmon Run via new wave/enemy types.
Not too sure about new Specials or sub weapons being introduced after they didn't release anything with this update. I still want to see Echolocation back, too many people running Ninja Squid without much consequence and cold blooded is currently a waste of a slot.