• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool it's all been free, but it was somewhat lacking during launch compared to other games.

I was actually expecting more when I bought the game at launch.

But can't really criticize too much since they haven't charged me at all. There's the Amiibo but I really don't care about the locked content. The online service is gonna make me stop playing Splatoon since I don't pay for online. Unless Nintendo has a good reason to pay the 20 a year.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More like Splatoon 2.5. Oh wait, that actually works right now. ;)

Yeah this is a wonderful example of how to support a game. Between this and Arms, I have been really happy about Nintendo's approach.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
And I still can't play with friends unless there are 8 of us to fill a whole game. The game is great and so is the support, but the fact playing with friends is such a cumbersome experience shortened it's staying power for me.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean its nice and all that its free, most companies would have charged, but a lot of it is derivative of each other and at launch it was very light anyways. They still need to fix the real problems with the core gameplay still

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is Games as a Service.

This is GaaS for a platform holder which is very behind it's competition in mindshare, and wants to drive adoption/engagement over sheer profitability.

I mean GaaS is such a wide term that I feel we need more specific terminology, but the forces driving Nintendo's model for Splatoon probably doenst apply to other 3P or platform holders.

It is atypcial to not charge for substantial content (including indirect ways of charging like mtx/dlc/subs), so Splatoon is the odd exception.

deussupreme

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently bought this game and it feels barebones to me. Every time I fire it up, there are only two maps on rotation and I am locked out of other modes. Is there something that I am missing? Still a fun game in small spurts, though.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo was hiring level designers specifically to work on splatoon 2 some weeks ago, they want to support the game for a long time it seems

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the new content more than what Splatoon 1 got at this point?
A little more, if we don't count the stuff that unlocked over the first week of Splatoon 1. At this point Splatoon 1 had 13 maps total with only 2 more released after, while Splatoon 2 currently has 16 total, 10 new, 6 returning, and we know there are more to come, both games had added 8 maps (4 old, 4 new for 2) by now. Splatoon 2 has added 2 Salmon Run maps and the Grizzco weapons. Both games added a ranked mode a while after launch. Splatoon 1 added 34 weapons total and so has Splatoon 2, although Splatoon 1 unlocked more unique types of weapons (inevitable given brushes and sloshers weren't in at launch). Both have had 7 (not counting Cake/Ice Cream) Splatfests. Splatoon 1 added 4 songs, Splatoon 2 added 5. For normal multiplayer they've been just about the same, but if we add in Salmon run, Shifty Stations in Splatfests, new hairstyles, etc. 2 edges out 1.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I hope they add some single player DLC, paid is fine.

All those extra alleys in the square are surely going to open up for something?

Maybe the construction can finish at the back for a new mode?

I recently bought this game and it feels barebones to me. Every time I fire it up, there are only two maps on rotation and I am locked out of other modes. Is there something that I am missing? Still a fun game in small spurts, though.
That's just rotation?

Also sounds like you're locked out of other modes because you have to level up a bit to get to some modes.

Oct 25, 2017
Other modes don't unlock till you reach a certain level. The two maps thing is normal though.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I think Nintendo is going to keep the updates coming beyond their initial plan as the OP states. Splatoon 2 is even bigger now than it seems Nintendo anticipated.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I hope we get Urchin Underpass back eventually. It just feels like a chunk of something is missing in the game without it.