Other than the inevitable Splatoon 4, what do you wanna see Splatoon do next?

• Spinoff like a turn based strategy game or musou

Votes: 164 17.3%
  • Spinoff like a grand scale single player only game similar to Mario Odyssey or Mario Galaxy

Votes: 631 66.5%
  • Collaborations (Splatoon X whatever franchise)

Votes: 154 16.2%

• Total voters

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
This OP will be updated with more images and information over time… but for now, here we go!!!

hero

screenshot01

Splatoon 3 releases on Nintendo Switch on September 9th, 2022! The global smash hit ink shooter is back for the 3rd time! And you know what they say about threes, right? The third time is the charm!

Genre: Action, Multiplayer

File Size: 5.2 GB

No. of players: Single System (1) Local wireless (2-8) Online (2-8)

Developer and Publisher: Nintendo

Languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese

screenshot05

The CAST:
Play as either an Octoling or an Inkling! You can customize your character in any way you want!

splatoon-3-character-creation.jpg

OIP.EJs4EGTL12RdDh7NELUU3gHaGf

THE BIG THREE: Catch the latest happenings from Shiver, Frye, and Big Man. Sit tight and watch or keep 'em on in the background as you do your thing around Splatsville.

deep-cut.webp

THINGS TO DO AROUND TOWN

See and be seen at some of Splatsville's hottest spots.

worlds-things-to-do-main-square-1.webp

Main Square: Roam around Splatsville to hit up the shops, chat with the locals, and tinker with your gear in between battles.

worlds-things-to-do-lobby-2.webp

Lobby: Check in for online* battles here. You can even get in some target practice at the test range before your match.

worlds-things-to-do-grizzco-ind-3.webp

Grizzco Industries: Now hiring for Salmon Run jobs! Walk up any time.

worlds-things-to-do-the-shoal-4.webp

The Shoal Set up yer local multiplayer** battles here.

HOW TO PLAY:

s3_howtoplay_move01.jpg

Ink: Splash the stuff all over the place using your weapons. Sure, you can splat opponents, but ink can do so much more. Go ahead—get messy!
s3_howtoplay_move02.jpg

Dive: Change into Swim Form to move waaay fast through your own ink color. This'll let you climb walls covered in ink, zip through fences, refill your ink tank, and more. If you stay still, you'll be (pretty much) invisible—sneaky, sneaky!

s3_howtoplay_move03.jpg

Splat: Take out the other team by blasting them with ink. They'll be back in action soon, so watch out!

s3_howtoplay_move04.jpg

Squid Spawn: Choose your landing spot with greater precision when launching into a stage.

s3_howtoplay_move06.jpg

Squid Roll: Zig when they think you'll zag! Make a quick jump in the opposite direction while swimming through ink to keep 'em guessing.

s3_howtoplay_move05.jpg

Squid Surge: Scale walls quickly by charging up in the ink and blasting yourself upward. You can get some sick air this way, or even surprise other players!

WEAPONS AND GEAR:
s3_weapons_type05.jpg

screenshot04

Dive into each mode with a main weapon, a sub weapon, and a special. All weapon types from previous games are back, along with a few new ones.

EXPRESS YOURSELF VIA CUSTOMIZATION:

weapons-make-it-season-catalog.webp

Season Catalog: Stay fresh with the trendiest goods and gear of the season. Redeem Catalog Points toward a rotating selection of gear, Splashtags, and more.

weapons-make-it-personal-locker.webp

Personal Locker: Deck it out with your weapons, gear, and goods. Check it out in the Lobby.

weapons-make-it-victory-emotes.webp

Victory Emotes: Celebrate your way! You earned it.

weapons-make-it-splashtags.webp

Splashtags: Spiff 'em up with titles and stuff.

STORY MODE: "RETURN OF THE MAMMALIANS"

s3_howtoplay_story.jpg

Join Agent 3 and the New Squidbeak Splatoon in a hairy fight against the unruly Octarians. Discover the secrets of Alterna and the Fuzzy Ooze.

BATTLE IT OUT ONLINE

In these competitive 4-vs-4 modes, you've only got three minutes per match to make your mark.

R.de898e07d4b6418ca42ef69e5c1f65c0

TURF WAR, BABY!

Beloved by squiddos everywhere, Turf War pits two teams in a battle to cover the most ground with their ink color.

gameplay-battle-online-anarchy-1.webp

Anarchy Battle: Put your rank on the line during rotating rounds of Splat Zones, Tower Control, Rainmaker, and Clam Blitz.

SALMON RUN:
gameplay-salmonrun.webp

WORK TOGETHER IN SALMON RUN

Four players (one per system) can team up any time to fend off waves of dangerous (and sometimes giant) Salmonid bosses in Salmon Run*. Fling Golden Eggs, take on new boss forms, and work together on your way toward earning sweet rewards.

SPLATFEST EVENTS!
gameplay-splatfest-1.webp

Choose one of three sides and get ready to splat it out for total victory. Cast your vote, and then raise your catalog level by battling and working shifts. You'll receive conch shells this way. The number of conch shells collected by your Splatfest team during the Sneak Peek will impact the final results. Splatfest: First Half Tur: f War time! Take on other teams in 4-vs-4 Splatfest battles. Gain Clout based on wins, losses, and points from inking turf from both modes. Clout will also impact the final outcome, so try your hardest! Splatfest: Second Half: The halftime report is revealed. In addition to traditional Turf War battles, special three-team Tricolor Turf War battles will be available. In these heated 4-vs-2-vs-2 battles, the leading team must protect the center of the stage from the attacking teams.

Save Data Bonus:

If you have save data on your system from the Splatoon 2 game, you'll get some neat-o bonuses to help you hit the turf running.
Receive three Gold Sheldon Licenses. Give these to Sheldon to access your favorite weapon types more quickly, regardless of player level.

Join Anarchy Battles from the get-go, regardless of player level.

Start with a higher rank, depending on your rank in Splatoon 2.

Get matched against players who achieved a similar skill level to you in Splatoon 2.

ATTENTION! FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS! You got questions? We got answers:
  • Salmon Run is available at all times
  • Map rotation is still in
  • You can skip the news right after the Deep Cut intro screen (Unsure if you can do it sooner than that but it's like 5 seconds if not)
  • You can now play with your friends easier (Join together in a "party" of sorts, join in progress, etc.)
  • There are no microtransactions, only "large-scale paid DLC planned"
  • Install the Nintendo Switch Companion app and log into it.
    Once you've done that, you can do this one per day:
    1. Open the Splatoon 3 app and go to the SplatNet Gear Shop
    2. Buy a piece of gear (Presumably, 3-star gear)
    3. Go in-game and buy that gear that you've ordered from Murch
  • This let's you get 3-star gear on day one, but ultimately expands your shop options in case you don't see what you want in the in-game shops.

Sooooooooo…. I will try to keep this OP and this thread updated with information and other helpful stuff as time goes on. It's time to SPLAT, baby. Man, I love Splatoon. I literally (go ahead and laugh over somebody using the word "literally") poured over two hundred hours into Splatoon 2 and I plan on playing Splatoon 3 nonstop as well. I'll see you around in either the thread or maybe even in the game!

Last edited:

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Been playin the singleplayer for the last few hours and it's soooo good. Really hard to put down, it's like the best parts of Octo Expansion with a really cool hub world.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Couldn't sleep last night, too excited for this game. Midnight can't come soon enough.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Whohoo, Splatoon 3 is almost here. Tomorrow, gonna play a bit of the story mode, some Turf to unlock stuff, and a bunch of Salmon. Super jealous of those who have it already.

What was everyone's final playtime for Splatoon 2? One of my friends pointed out I somehow played 1700 hours and I was shocked by it.

Last edited:

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Really looking forward to getting my turf war fix.

For those who played the single player already, is it as hard as Octo expansion was, or is it more comparable to the first two games main campaigns in terms of difficulty? And also do we already know if there are any unlocks for MP through the campaign?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna use a ticket I'm just about to buy on the JP store to jump straight in when I can! Can't wait :D

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Whohoo, Splatoon 3 is almost here. Gonna play a bit of the story mode, some Turf to unlock stuff, and a bunch of Salmon. Super jealous of those who have it already.

What was everyone's final playtime for Splatoon 2? One of my friends pointed out I somehow played 1700 hours and I was shocked by it.
20220908_095317.jpg

Haven't played for more than year. I'd probably be near your friends playtime lol

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful OP❤️❤️❤️ incredibly hyped!!

I've been itching to pay with the Tri-Stringer again, at first I found it difficult to use but over the course of the Splatfest day I started understanding how to use it differently and was kicking ass much more with it after a few hours.

Jul 22, 2022
After Splatoon 3 demo I put some hours back in Splatoon 2 and I had a blast as always but people got really good in this time damn

Hope Splatoon 3 has a banger ost. Didn't like Splatoon 2 in that sense

Day 1

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I am going to be barely focused on work tomorrow lol

Preload unlocks at midnight EST though right?

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Heck yeah. Ready to splat.

400 hours for me in Splatoon 2. Not too shabby.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Will you be able to change between an inkling and an octoling after the fact? Because for the Testfire I initially chose an octoling, but I couldn't find how to switch to an inkling.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of my feel good game, really excited for tomorrow.

As a bonus my nephews are spending the night at my place. So tomorrow I'll get to wish them a good time at school while starting Splatoon 3.

Oct 27, 2017
This snuck up on me. Ordered now after watching the Digital Foundry video.

The voucher thing Nintendo Europe does where you get 2 vouchers for £84 takes a bit of the sting out of day 1 purchases.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
Can't wait, hoping to snag the new pro controller some point tmrw as well.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I didn't manage to get into Splatoon 2 as much as I wanted mostly because I missed the first year or so from not having a Switch. By the time I got one, felt like I missed out on a lot so I didn't end up playing a ton. Plus I had a lot more real life obligations at the time that involved traveling a fair bit, which is why I really only made time for Splatfests when I could. However, with the pandemic freeing me up more and getting into Splatoon 3 as soon as it launches, I'm excited to get really into a shooter again, I haven't gotten super into one since my TF2 days.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Man I'm so conflicted. I vibe with Splatoon and I like the gameplay, but I don't really have time for multiplayer games. I doubt the campaign would be enough.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Aw man :(

I really wish I could get this game. I love Splatoon so much. Sadly my grandfather recently passed away so a gigantic chunk of my money went to help pay for his funeral. I don't regret it at all of course, but it does make this release sting. I'm happy for everyone else playing though!

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
OP you probably have your hand full writing other stuff, but adding some answers to the most frequently asked questions like, " Can I play with my friends this time?" or "can I skip the intros?" would be great.

And yes and yes are the answers for people who don't know.

"Is the game still on 2 hour rotation" seems to be common too. (Yes it follows the same rules as Splatoon 2)

Fake edit: You did mention the intro skip!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully switch pro launches with a Splat Set Radio game 🙏

Man I'm so conflicted. I vibe with Splatoon and I like the gameplay, but I don't really have time for multiplayer games. I doubt the campaign would be enough.

What if it were enough? And what if by the end of the campaign, you realised you improved at playing the game to the point you were doing well online?

What then ?

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Will there be a discord for us to coordinate stuff?
I'll get back to you on that. This is a special occasion and I got an idea so hang tight on Discord
20220908_095317.jpg

Haven't played for more than year. I'd probably be near your friends playtime lol
WOW. I thought my 200 hours was something… lol

View: https://twitter.com/_tatsuyaendo_/status/1567895190899408897

Here's some art celebrating the release from the Spy x Family author

Damn this is beautiful
Will you be able to change between an inkling and an octoling after the fact? Because for the Testfire I initially chose an octoling, but I couldn't find how to switch to an inkling.
Im pretty sure you can… Ima find out for you
OP you probably have your hand full writing other stuff, but adding some answers to the most frequently asked questions like, " Can I play with my friends this time?" or "can I skip the intros?" would be great.

And yes and yes are the answers for people who don't know.

"Is the game still on 2 hour rotation" seems to be common too. (Yes it follows the same rules as Splatoon 2)

Fake edit: You did mention the intro skip!
Hahahaha my bad, my bad. Anything else I should add? Lemme know and I'll add it

Mar 23, 2019
Can't wait for this. My daughter (about to be 9) loves splatoon 2 and is pretty good- in a few ranked modes she is A-.

We are excited to be able to team up easier and do salmon run whenever

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Whohoo, Splatoon 3 is almost here. Tomorrow, gonna play a bit of the story mode, some Turf to unlock stuff, and a bunch of Salmon. Super jealous of those who have it already.

Wow, that's 71+ full days or almost 2 1/2 full months of playing Splatoon 2.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Im pretty sure you can… Ima find out for you
Thanks! I'm pretty sure you should be able to, since they let you in 2. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places. Can't remember how you do it in 2 either...

I ended at 650 hours! Good times.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Hahahaha my bad, my bad. Anything else I should add? Lemme know and I'll add it
All the stuff from the last thread basically
  • You can skip the news right after the Deep Cut intro screen (Unsure if you can do it sooner than that but it's like 5 seconds if not)
  • You can now play with your friends easier (Join together in a "party" of sorts, join in progress, etc.)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to imagine the game veering too far off from its established MP-focused formula, but I'd play a proper single-player iteration in a heartbeat.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Has there been any word on integration with the Nintendo app? You could use it to order clothing in Splatoon 2, but I don't remember seeing any news about it for 3.

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Just added it! If there's anything else don't hesitate to lemme know.
Let the real Squid Game begin
Lol the OT titles for this thread will be rotated and changed over time. People suggested some really good titles in the Global Testfire thread and they will be used. And Squid Game will be referenced sometime too lol

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
On the subject of spin-offs:

I think Splatoon would actually make for a great Destiny-like experience. Just moving around the world is fun and it already has a high level of community engagement.

I'd happily while away a few hours with my buddies, alternately engaging with Salmon-run type fights and then shitposting some ink graffiti in the quiet times. Imagine the sick gear you could earn.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Has there been any word on integration with the Nintendo app? You could use it to order clothing in Splatoon 2, but I don't remember seeing any news about it for 3.
It was in the direct for a short time, basically "It's back".

If it's like last time (and OP you can add this to the OP if you'd like), the app shop where you can buy gear ALWAYS contains at least one piece of 3-star gear.

Which means it will be like that tomorrow (or today for some) on your first day of Splatoon 3.

As long as you can get ~15000 gold (coins?) you can get a 3-star piece of gear every day, which is very good for the first few days of the game.

If you play a lot of multiplayer (vs or Salmon Run) on the first day rather than the campaign (don't know if it gives gold), you can definitely get enough.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
It was in the direct for a short time, basically "It's back".

If it's like last time (and OP you can add this to the OP if you'd like), the app shop where you can buy gear ALWAYS contains at least one piece of 3-star gear.

Which means it will be like that tomorrow (or today for some) on your first day of Splatoon 3.

As long as you can get ~15000 gold (coins?) you can get a 3-star piece of gear every day, which is very good for the first few days of the game.

If you play a lot of multiplayer (vs or Salmon Run) on the first day rather than the campaign (don't know if it gives gold), you can definitely get enough.

To add to that, if someone with access to the game right now could check their app that would be very helpful, those of us in NA have our apps still closed (Just has information about the app rather than being the actual app)