Other than the inevitable Splatoon 4, what do you wanna see Splatoon do next?

• Spinoff like a turn based strategy game or musou

Votes: 164 17.3%
  • Spinoff like a grand scale single player only game similar to Mario Odyssey or Mario Galaxy

Votes: 631 66.5%
  • Collaborations (Splatoon X whatever franchise)

Votes: 154 16.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

RoyLee

Aug 19, 2018
Wow this is interesting. I've seen a guy absolutely wreck people with the crash blaster. Shocked to see it in D tier.

I feel like the blue nozzle ones in A tier should be in D. They're dogshit. I hate using it in salmon run.

I think that the range of it is by far its weakness. Anything that has a range similar or greater than the NZAP, which is a lot of weapons, will beat it in a direct 1v1.

sidephasing

Dec 17, 2021
Had a great salmon run going that turned into a tragedy in a matter of seconds. The fish stick had spawned so I went up and another teammate followed me. Then suddenly Maws appeared and swallowed both of us and the remaining teammates get killed by the fish stick. Is Maws spawning on the tower a glitch or purposeful?

Oct 27, 2017
Early suggestions from the competitive splatoon subreddit is they're probably the best dualies right now and only just below the top tier weapons.

This was purportedly based on the opinions of a couple of v. high ranked Japanese players, but it's still early days yet obviously, and this will change rapidly, no doubt.

dtyy2l5ndun91.jpg

I wonder if Splatoon is one of the few shooters where the intro weapon is among the best, because I've been rocking the splattershot/jr since the first game

Piotrek

Oct 28, 2017
Warsaw, PL
Had a great salmon run going that turned into a tragedy in a matter of seconds. The fish stick had spawned so I went up and another teammate followed me. Then suddenly Maws appeared and swallowed both of us and the remaining teammates get killed by the fish stick. Is Maws spawning on the tower a glitch or purposeful?

It can swim up and down those towers. I'm always extra careful up there ever since it happened to me too.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
My first encounter with a maw was on top of a fish stick, suffice to say I was very confused, very startled, and very dead

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel really stupid and unobservant now. I played hundreds of hours of Salmon Run in Splatoon 2 and never once noticed it visually shows the tide level at the beginning of a round. I always just listened for the sound.

They added those buildings in the overlay to highlight the water level changes and I was like, "What a great new feature!" And then discovered it was always like that...

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I was a Custom Splattershot Jr user in Splatoon 2, but I tried the Dark Tetra Dualies in the Splatfest and decided I liked the dodge. So it's been my main in 3. But I think I might be more open to trying different weapons.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel really stupid and unobservant now. I played hundreds of hours of Salmon Run in Splatoon 2 and never once noticed it visually shows the tide level at the beginning of a round. I always just listened for the sound.

They added those buildings in the overlay to highlight the water level changes and I was like, "What a great new feature!" And then discovered it was always like that...
But without the buildings! Such a huge readability improvement. Also it may have shown it for a shorter time in S2 than it does here? Lastly, I feel like it's a bit more of a solid color now. Regardless, feature may have been there for the longest time, but it certainly wasn't as obvious so I think it's fair to have missed until now haha. Even knowing about it in 2, there were times I'd look away from the screen, or just glaze over it, and then not know which tide level it was sitting at when I paid it mind.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I was a Custom Splattershot Jr user in Splatoon 2, but I tried the Dark Tetra Dualies in the Splatfest and decided I liked the dodge. So it's been my main in 3. But I think I might be more open to trying different weapons.

Usually what I do is I branch out to different weapons or clothing sets to experiment with during Splatfests. Gonna always be scrubbing my Splatfest tee so why not level up some more equipment while I'm at it lol

Always felt like Splatfests are the perfect time to do so once you get to a satisfying rank.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Early suggestions from the competitive splatoon subreddit is they're probably the best dualies right now and only just below the top tier weapons.

This was purportedly based on the opinions of a couple of v. high ranked Japanese players, but it's still early days yet obviously, and this will change rapidly, no doubt.

dtyy2l5ndun91.jpg
Splat Charger remains perfect.

I would like ink vac reworked a little though. It's too good combined with other players but really shit 1v1. Maybe the range reduced but some armor effect. Nothing has really captured splat bomb Rush's ability to get you out of a pinch.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But without the buildings! Such a huge readability improvement. Also it may have shown it for a shorter time in S2 than it does here? Lastly, I feel like it's a bit more of a solid color now. Regardless, feature may have been there for the longest time, but it certainly wasn't as obvious so I think it's fair to have missed until now haha. Even knowing about it in 2, there were times I'd look away from the screen, or just glaze over it, and then not know which tide level it was sitting at when I paid it mind.

Yeah, the last one was just dark waves with no context and it blended with the other part of the overlay color scheme. Adding the buildings and changing to the blue-ish color is so much better.

That's an interesting part of game design, the UI overlay issue. It really is silly that I could look at something so many times and never ever see what was in front of me. Really shows how much the player can laser-focus so much on their character.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright so let's get into some SPLATOON LORE

The single player mode talks about the memory material that caused the various sealife to evolve, and it's also a component in that big Bear's furry ink, so I'm guessing this "memory ooze" is probably a big factor in what "ink" is in this world. Then Cuttlefish gets all dried out right, and to me it looks like maybe I'm seeing the "real body" of an Inkling for the very first time. I've always wondered in the previous games how these Squid Souls or whatever work, why they reincarnate in ink and whatnot. Lookin at cuttlefish's dried-up actual-squid body tho, do you think the implication is that the Squid/Kid bodies are actually all just pure Ink Constructs, shaped around a core Flesh Squid? The Inklings have some kind of Eva-LCL-style relationship with this ink and project the body they want with it around their actual-squid center? Then in turf wars and whatever they're spraying their Ego at each other, causing those constructs to break down, and when they Pop the inside-squid flies away (because I guess squids can fly now, Cuttlefish was just kinda floatin around), back to base, into a pool of Community Ink to build themselves a new body?

I know I'm not REALLY describing something you couldn't intuit from Splat 1 and 2, but seeing Cuttlefish's flesh body was unnerving to me. The inklings can travel through mesh and whatnot since their bodies are "made of ink" but I dunno if having an actual flesh squid in the middle of that ink is incompatible with that, unless it's tiny/flexible enough to fit through the holes in the grates. When you "die" in battles it's definitely more like an intangible soul that comes out, but it's possible that's just artistic license, I dunno. Thinkin bout that ink tho!!

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Been doing that almost exclusively since launch and have been having a good time

The overwhelming majority of people play the multiplayer without friends, considering it was a huge pain to even do before 3, so yeah, it's fun
Depending on your frustration tolerance of course

Yes. You generally play with strangers most of the time in my experience.

I solo most of the time. I did drop into someone's game for two matches and lost both 😭
So back to soloing for me lol

Thanks, guess I'll be buying this today!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There's a coat on sale on the store with Ninja Squid and four slots.

Just had to farm 18k for it after spending all my money in stickers >.<

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Is it me or are the dualie squelchers fucking useless in this game?

Every time I go into a turf war game I immediately want to play ranked. I really dislike the mode.
I feel they're pretty dang strong. They've got excellent range, and splat bombs for harassment purposes. The Wave Breaker is in incredibly good at both inciting chaos as well as taking advantage of existing chaos. Their accuracy issues are only present if you're not dodge rolling beforehand, and you should get into the habit of doing so any time you're actively engaging on someone. After dodge rolling, their fire rate and accuracy go way up and you can melt targets as long as you don't move afterwards. So you have to commit when you want to do that. Even just dodgerolling left and right or back and forward real fast to get the accuracy boost is worth it.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok squid rolling off the wall to dodge and splat someone is so satisfying. Just did it again in a victory lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Alright so let's get into some SPLATOON LORE

The single player mode talks about the memory material that caused the various sealife to evolve, and it's also a component in that big Bear's furry ink, so I'm guessing this "memory ooze" is probably a big factor in what "ink" is in this world. Then Cuttlefish gets all dried out right, and to me it looks like maybe I'm seeing the "real body" of an Inkling for the very first time. I've always wondered in the previous games how these Squid Souls or whatever work, why they reincarnate in ink and whatnot. Lookin at cuttlefish's dried-up actual-squid body tho, do you think the implication is that the Squid/Kid bodies are actually all just pure Ink Constructs, shaped around a core Flesh Squid? The Inklings have some kind of Eva-LCL-style relationship with this ink and project the body they want with it around their actual-squid center? Then in turf wars and whatever they're spraying their Ego at each other, causing those constructs to break down, and when they Pop the inside-squid flies away (because I guess squids can fly now, Cuttlefish was just kinda floatin around), back to base, into a pool of Community Ink to build themselves a new body?

I know I'm not REALLY describing something you couldn't intuit from Splat 1 and 2, but seeing Cuttlefish's flesh body was unnerving to me. The inklings can travel through mesh and whatnot since their bodies are "made of ink" but I dunno if having an actual flesh squid in the middle of that ink is incompatible with that, unless it's tiny/flexible enough to fit through the holes in the grates. When you "die" in battles it's definitely more like an intangible soul that comes out, but it's possible that's just artistic license, I dunno. Thinkin bout that ink tho!!

Their bodies are definitely flexible enough to slip through the holes in the grates. Because they have no bones, octopi can fit through any opening that is the size of their beak since that's the only hard part of their body.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1nXu6ZkdqE

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well my team didn't choke a game for once. Just played a Splat Zones where the other team was dominating was and they were 4 pts away from victory. We stopped them at the at the last second and instead we came back from 0 to get the knockout.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
Lost my S rank up 2-3 again ... ahhh this is so stressful
I decided I will just do turfwar for a day or two, to chill out.
I feel I should be easily able to get S soon, it is just a matter of time

Turfwar really is a good destressor, been looking for a secondary I can run in ranked.
I think I might be a stringer person for long range, have been feeling pretty comfortable with it so far.

Check out this really cool build analyzer! Find out what makes your gear/abilities work

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
For folks who want to theorycraft their builds, there's a build analyzer now if you want to min-max your gear and figure out what your sub/main abilities will do on your gear exactly. A complete set of Special Power Up for example buffs Tacticooler from 15 seconds to 25 seconds. I'd probably splash some special charge up and maybe ink saver or sub weapon defense since they're abilities not buffed by Tacticooler. There's still some stuff that needs to be added, but it's a solid start.

View: https://twitter.com/Sendouc/status/1572283991067074561?s=20&t=F_L5mYMLi-f9URMwMMf19g

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Currently playing in S+1, and this team I have with randos is wild. 4 games in a row to get the perfect 5-0 series, the other teams couldn't get anywhere near the splat zone

I have Explosher with the point sensor
One person running Hydra Splatling
One Dualies
and the last person was E-liter twice and close range weapons the other two times

the moment we knew where anyone was, they would get annihilated immediately, and even retreating behind a wall meant getting splatted by the explosher 😅
that being said, I don't know how I feel about Mincemeat Metalworks, it seems absolutely impossible to approach once the other team sets up well...

EDIT: It was actually all 5 games, with the last person being E-liter 3 times, and the other times being a bow and the Splash-o-matic
The Hydra Splatling and I, combined, died a total of 5 times in all 5 games

Oct 25, 2017
As always, I'm loving the core gameplay of Splatoon. But some of the design choices around matchmaking, lobbies, and menus are inexcusable. Why am I not allowed to back out of a lobby once I hit Continue? Why can't I change my weapon in between ranked matches?

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
For folks who want to theorycraft their builds, there's a build analyzer now if you want to min-max your gear and figure out what your sub/main abilities will do on your gear exactly. A complete set of Special Power Up for example buffs Tacticooler from 15 seconds to 25 seconds. I'd probably splash some special charge up and maybe ink saver or sub weapon defense since they're abilities not buffed by Tacticooler. There's still some stuff that needs to be added, but it's a solid start.

View: https://twitter.com/Sendouc/status/1572283991067074561?s=20&t=F_L5mYMLi-f9URMwMMf19g

Ooh, numbers for Intensify Action! Been really wondering how much I would need to run for various improvements. Thanks a ton.

Oct 27, 2017
As always, I'm loving the core gameplay of Splatoon. But some of the design choices around matchmaking, lobbies, and menus are inexcusable. Why am I not allowed to back out of a lobby once I hit Continue? Why can't I change my weapon in between ranked matches?
I'm pretty sure weapons are a factor in the matchmaking is why (I heard that since the first game actually), and allowing people to back out to the lobby at any time would probably result in longer wait times for everyone as people might quit right before a full group is created

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019

dtyy2l5ndun91.jpg
lmao at every single one of my primary weapons being in C or Trash Tier.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

dtyy2l5ndun91.jpg

Looks for Undercover Brella.... oh...
At least N-Zap and Sloshing Machine are at the top lol.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure weapons are a factor in the matchmaking is why (I heard that since the first game actually), and allowing people to back out to the lobby at any time would probably result in longer wait times for everyone as people might quit right before a full group is created
The no weapon switch thing has to be an oversight, you were able to do it in 2 and you can do it in turf war. I'm fairly sure they'll patch it in for 3 ranked modes.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
That tier list makes me feel very bad for absolutely blowing it every time I had the Sloshing Machine in that recent Salmon Run rotation, even though I know it's a totally different mode.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My weapon ranking for pre-game pose

S-Tier: Brellas
B-Tier: everything else

Standing tall with a a huge goofy grin > looking serious