• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just watched it.

Best superhero movie this year by a country mile
Best Spiderman movie, period.
Best credit sequence in a superhero movie, period.

One of the most enjoyable films I've watched in a long time. Everything screamed well crafted art, music and cinema. Fucking amazing.

Between This and venom, fuck anyone who thinks that the Spiderman rights need to go back to Disney. Sony is making a killing doing their own thing.

My only issue is the memes are abit....tired now. There is only so many references to the Rami trilogy and Spiderman pointing finger memes I can take. We get it.

The Stan Lee bit was a bit sad. Especially considering he was talking about death.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
It had the best Stan Lee cameo.

I'm not sure if I like Spider-Verse or Black Panther more this year. I may go rewatch Spider-Verse sometime this week or next.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't heard any Oscar buzz, but we could have two comicbook movies represented at the Oscars.

Black Panther and Spider-Verse

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haven't heard any Oscar buzz, but we could have two comicbook movies represented at the Oscars.

Black Panther and Spider-Verse

I would imagine the animation catagory is too stacked for this film to get a nomination. If there was a Oscar version of "Best art direction", it would be a contender hands down.

Also, I'd like to clear a few things up. I'm not normally a big fan of "make a minority version of popular character" I find it lazy writing and character design.

But partly because we have already had plenty of Miles Morales back story (and blacklash) in the comics, the story felt so natural and something that had almost nothing to do with Miles' race. He said it himself :- He is Spiderman, but not the only one. It felt like an extension of the brand, not trying to "diversify" it *cough* Foster Thor/Iron heart *cough*.

Also, I know some people were a bit confused about the whole Jefferson and Aaron Davis thing but it was very clear to me that Jefferson knew Aaron was the prowler all along and that's what actually made them drift apart. Almost every minority family has that wayward uncle/brother/cousin that the straight edge parent spends his or trying entire life trying to prevent their kid from turning into. That's why there was no shock when Jefferson saw his brother shot in an alley in his prowler gear.

It was actually quite poetic as most people will say something like "he is gonna end up dead in a alley one day" when talking about wayward family members.

One of the greatest achievements of this film is that it managed to come across as authentic without direct pandering. Miles race and upbringing were barely mentioned, but they influenced every thing he did. His need to have a "thing" with his untied shoelace (Every high school black kid has a a thing to brand themself with) him singing to stay calm, the throwbacks to hiphop and graph culture, the way he interacted with his friends compared to the awkwardness in his new school, the way he was trying to move to Gwen, but still stay cool and then later in the film, professional. Also good fucking damn at Aaron's speaker setup. That should of been the first hint the man was making some serious bank.

Then there were the crazy attention to detail stuff, like how his mask isn't as form fitting as peters because of how his Afro won't flatten etc.

All and all amazing film. Just like Black panther before it, it shows minorites and minority stories have a place on the big screen and you don't have to be cheesy about it. Great stuff all around.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just got back from watching it myself and I echo any and all positives about this movie.
It was so much fun and the visual style is great. Thankfully I did not watch any trailers and only had a smidgen of who was in it least fat as villains go.
I did not expec the primary villain to be
Kingpin.
Also Doc Ock was a surprise!
Was bummed out at lack of more villains as it would've been cool if like a mad crazy Green Goblin showed up out of the portal or some such

I watched in 2D but I feel the movie is best experienced in 3D if possible. Though if you have issues with epilepsy you may want to be careful watching it as it can be disorienting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from watching it myself and I echo any and all positives about this movie.
It was so much fun and the visual style is great. Thankfully I did not watch any trailers and only had a smidgen of who was in it least fat as villains go.
I did not expec the primary villain to be
Kingpin.
Also Doc Ock was a surprise!
Was bummed out at lack of more villains as it would've been cool if like a mad crazy Green Goblin showed up out of the portal or some such

I watched in 2D but I feel the movie is best experienced in 3D if possible. Though if you have issues with epilepsy you may want to be careful watching it as it can be disorienting.
Don't need spoiler tags in a spoiler thread

Also this is my dilemna 2D vs 3D.
I know 3D is never bright enough and the glasses pinch my nose, but this feels like it could be really good in 3D

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also while this is a great movie set in the spiderman universe, it is not the best spiderman movie because its to much of a deviation from the source material

It's about as faithful as any of the rest.

It pretty much follows the thread Miles' origin did in the Ultimate universe, but with the addition of the multiverse stuff.

And as someone who thinks Homecoming is the clear best of the live-action stuff, this movie laps it with ease.

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This just doesn't hold water for me. You can't not nominate this for the animated films. You can't.

This year we have had the Grinch sequel, Ralph breaks the internet, Batman ninja, the Incredibles sequel, the Prince charming film, The hotel Transylvania sequel, Small foot, Early man, Isle of dogs....

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying the competition is very very fierce.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This year we have had the Grinch sequel, Ralph breaks the internet, Batman ninja, the Incredibles sequel, the Prince charming film, The hotel Transylvania sequel, Small foot, Early man, Isle of dogs....

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying the competition is very very fierce.

I repeat what I said.

You can't not nominate this film for the Grinch or Smallfoot or whatever.

As I see it, it's only real competition is Ralph Breaks the Internet and Incredibles 2, but we're just talking getting nominations.

It is absolutely inconceivable to me that Into the Spider-Verse doesn't at the very least grab a nomination for best animated film, and that's before I say I believe it should also win.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Honestly if this doesn't get nominated for best animated film, they should scrap that reward all together, because this movie is such a master class in visuals and animation.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Real talk
I legit thought Prowler was Speed Demon xd
I disnt read muxh of miles' run back in thr day but i did know his uncle was a bad guy just didnt expecr him to be prowler.

Heck while trying to figure out who the charavter was i told myself 'no Spoiler is a dc character, who is this guy....'

Edit- i DEMAND toku Spiderman for the sequel

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Just came back from the movie, it's so freaking amazing! I got in totally blind, only saw a few second of the very first trailer to be convinced... So i didn't knew about the pig and peni parker and spider noir and so on being there! That was a nice surprise!

The animation and story-boarding was amazing, the style mash-up, the colors, everything was great! Loved all the small references to previous works!

Also that last scene after the credits was easy to do, the meme is quite popular, but still i laughed a lot, great way to announce more stuff from this particular universe!

Definitely my favourite spiderman movie and one of the best superhero movie!

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Best superhero movie this year by a country mile
Best Spiderman movie, period.
Best credit sequence in a superhero movie, period.

One of the most enjoyable films I've watched in a long time. Everything screamed well crafted art, music and cinema. Fucking amazing.

I agree with each point completely.

I'd add that this has probably entered my favorite films of all time, and some of the best CG animation there's ever been.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from the movie, it's so freaking amazing! I got in totally blind, only saw a few second of the very first trailer to be convinced... So i didn't knew about the pig and peni parker and spider noir and so on being there! That was a nice surprise!

The animation and story-boarding was amazing, the style mash-up, the colors, everything was great! Loved all the small references to previous works!

Also that last scene after the credits was easy to do, the meme is quite popular, but still i laughed a lot, great way to announce more stuff from this particular universe!

Definitely my favourite spiderman movie and one of the best superhero movie!
lucky if you went in full blind

StrawberryJam

Oct 29, 2017
Just saw it tonight and what a fucking brilliant film it is. I already want to see it again. Never expected to have as many emotional moments as it did.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
People in the theatre that i wnet to were weirded out by the blurring of stuff in the background. They even wondered if they needed 3d glassess.
Even if there wqs an explanation for it, it is still a vary jarring thing to do. @_@

beat

Oct 28, 2017
It was a deliberate decision. It mimics how comics used to be printed very cheaply and thus occasionally had misalignment issues. They used that instead of shallow depth of field.

Maybe it works better in 3D, but in 2D I think it was a mistake. The eye is quite trained to ignore out of focus elements on screen. The misalignment looks like 3D movies without the glasses. The eye is almost drawn to those areas.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It was a deliberate decision. It mimics how comics used to be printed very cheaply and thus occasionally had misalignment issues. They used that instead of shallow depth of field.

Maybe it works better in 3D, but in 2D I think it was a mistake. The eye is quite trained to ignore out of focus elements on screen. The misalignment looks like 3D movies without the glasses. The eye is almost drawn to those areas.
That 2nd paragraph explains my issue with it.

Nov 30, 2018
Got an early screening last night in Dolby Cinema thanks to the supes at work.

When there's only 30 people in a theater, it's an incredible experience.

Anyways, loved this and that end credits Spider-Man meme was hilarious. We all burst out laughing.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Saw it in IMAX 2D and had no issues. There was a very brief "...should I have 3D glasses on?" moment when it first happened, but you quickly realize it's a stylistic choice and you adapt and it's fine.

It doesn't even happen all that often.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly if this doesn't get nominated for best animated film, they should scrap that reward all together, because this movie is such a master class in visuals and animation.

Changes made to the selection process for last year means that nominations favour the least offensive things that academy members forced their children to see as opposed to what is necessarily good. At a certain point, I wonder if this is going to be the last year that something like Spider-verse has a good chance of even making the final ballot - the number of final nominations is based on the number of submissions made, and at a certain point all the niche distributors are going to realise that there's no point in even submitting stuff even when it's as good as Liz and the Blue Bird or Night Is Short, Walk On Girl given how few of the people voting on this stuff now, in terms of overall percentage, will have even heard of it.

Spider-Verse's odds of making the ballot are probably pretty good given there's five slots this year, just based on marketing spend versus the non-Disney competition alone (honestly, something as mediocre as Ralph 2 shoudn't be anywhere near the ballot, but shrug Disney), though the potentially slightly hilarious thing I could see happening is Teen Titans Go somehow ending up on there instead.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda expected more reaction from Gwen towards an alive Peter Parker, and vice versa for any of them who lost their Gwen's in the classic backstory. The only one that really did that was washed up Parker reacting to May and MJ a bit.

Last edited:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The sequel should totally be the current roster fighting a team of evil Spider-Men.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Brilliant Brilliant movie. Best Sony made Spider-Man movie by a mile, sorry Spider-Man 2. Hey, I loved Homecoming but that's MCU so I don't count it in my rankings here.

I love the little comic recaps when we meet new spider-people.

Chris Pine as Miles' universe Peter was great. But Jake Johnson killed it as alt-Pete.

I love everything about this movie, seriously. I need sequels now.

THWIP - RELEASE - FEEL THE RHYTHM!

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
"Mahershala Ali as Aaron Davis / Prowler: Miles' uncle who moonlights as a supervillain."

th

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished my showing, this was really great. I am surprised how attached I was to everyone in it with such a goofy conceit for the movie.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Only thing I didn't like was the open-ended sendoff that Peter B. Parker got.

I get that this was Miles's movie, he's the star, so of course the movie should end on him and it does while opening the door for more to come. But out of the supporting cast Peter B. was the clear standout, and I was left wanting more for him than the others got; more than seeing him ring the doorbell standing there with flowers, and MJ opens the door and we don't know what happened next. I wanted to know what happened next. And yeah, we see him start giving that heart-to-heart at Fisk's party, but that was the wrong MJ and it's saving-the-world time not heart-to-heart time and there's bread involved and it's just for laughs. I wanted to see Peter B. have that heart-to-heart with his MJ, and I wanted him to get it right.

Beyond that, the rest of the movie was AMAZING.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I didn't like was the open-ended sendoff that Peter B. Parker got.

I get that this was Miles's movie, he's the star, so of course the movie should end on him and it does while opening the door for more to come. But out of the supporting cast Peter B. was the clear standout, and I was left wanting more for him than the others got; more than seeing him ring the doorbell standing there with flowers, and MJ opens the door and we don't know what happened next. I wanted to know what happened next. And yeah, we see him start giving that heart-to-heart at Fisk's party, but that was the wrong MJ and it's saving-the-world time not heart-to-heart time and there's bread involved and it's just for laughs. I wanted to see Peter B. have that heart-to-heart with his MJ, and I wanted him to get it right.

Beyond that, the rest of the movie was AMAZING.

Eh, Peter B's journey in the movie was essentially discovering the responsibility of adulthood and realizing that he did in fact want to have kids.

His final scene with MJ pretty much tells you that they'll get back together and start a family.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
The Doc Ock and Prowler reveals made my theatre gasp.

Also, I really loved the different animation styles in this; especially Penny's expressions.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
First off. Loved the movie. Everything up until the main trio got to Aunt Mays house was perfect.

However, I thought the inclusion of Peni Parker, Spider-Noir and Spider-Ham kind of brought down the movie. They just seemed to exist to pad out the rooster and be funny for the trailer. I wanted more Peter prime and Gwen interactions. The fact that we spent 45 seconds on Peni crying about her mech suit dying was terrible.

The movie was still amazing just those three characters kind of kept it from being a masterpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.