Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I don't want to be spoiled on the story, I just want an official pic of Thor with Mjolnir, I am a sucker at Norse mythology, and I'm curious to see if they went the Marvel route or the Norse route or something totally original like they did with Greek gods.
Well there's no way they went the Marvel route, I think they'll put their own spin on it, no reason to think otherwise imo. I expect his intro to be epic tho, can't wait.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Well there's no way they went the Marvel route, I think they'll put their own spin on it, no reason to think otherwise imo. I expect his intro to be epic tho, can't wait.

Believe it or not, there a lot of movies and even theatrical plays that uses the blonde and womanizer Thor rather than the red haired, rude warrior of Norse mythology.

Somehow, Marvel Thor has entered the collective imagination more than the "official one" and this is waaay before the MCU.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Believe it or not, there a lot of movies and even theatrical plays that uses the blonde and womanizer Thor rather than the red haired, rude warrior of Norse mythology.

Somehow, Marvel Thor has entered the collective imagination more than the "official one" and this is waaay before the MCU.
I hope they go a completely different route. Red haired Thor with a helmet sounds awesome

Rahvee

Mar 8, 2018
My assumption is this was a play tester who leaked footage from before the game finished development cause there were some bugs I noticed!

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this is pretty early on in the game.

His random coughing when he was screaming at Kratos was interesting. I wonder if that was just something that happened in the performance, and they kept it in just for a bit of realism, or if the kid is ill.

If you watch the story trailer...
The kid is ill

Bionet

Oct 25, 2017

I hope they go a completely different route. Red haired Thor with a helmet sounds awesome

Based on what he's been doing in the Lost Pages of Norse Myth podcast, this game is going the route of having him be a monstrous brute. He's been engaged in a campaign of genocide against the frost giants and goes out and murders people based on Odin's orders. The axe Kratos is using was apparently created as a counter to Mjolnir after the creator of Mjolnir learned of the destruction and genocide Thor was using the hammer for. It has not been discussed how that ends up with Kratos, however.

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This looks awful to me. Walk, cutscene, walk, cutscene, smash 3 guys in a corridor, walk cutscene.

Those 10min really are just this. Not being able to jump for combo, stuck on the ground with emotions and drama who have no replay value once you know them.

GOW always was linear but this is too much for me.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to be spoiled on the story, I just want an official pic of Thor with Mjolnir, I am a sucker at Norse mythology, and I'm curious to see if they went the Marvel route or the Norse route or something totally original like they did with Greek gods.

What????? Don't tell me you expect Hulk, Iron-Man, Spider-Man to show up too. This game is the closest depiction in media you will get about Norse Mythology and not the westernized version of it.

Yes he is and he wears a helmet llike what we saw in the Stone Mason trailer.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This looks awful to me. Walk, cutscene, walk, cutscene, smash 3 guys in a corridor, walk cutscene.

Those 10min really are just this. Not being able to jump for combo, stuck on the ground with emotions and drama who have no replay value once you know them.

Man i dont even know if people are joking these days.
I agree with the person above, we need to avoid all spoiler discussions in an open forum.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What????? Don't tell me you expect Hulk, Iron-Man, Spider-Man to show up too. This game is the closest depiction in media you will get about Norse Mythology and not the westernized version of it.

Yes he is and he wears a helmet llike what we saw in the Stone Mason trailer.

How do you know this? Outside the Hulk and Iron Man since that is obvious?

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY

You'll get criticized for saying that here, but I kind of agree with you. I keep trying to talk myself into liking what I see of the combat, but I'd be lying to myself.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
You'll get criticized for saying that here, but I kind of agree with you. I keep trying to talk myself into liking what I see of the combat, but I'd be lying to myself.

I don't think that's entirely fair to say quite yet. This appears to be early game content when we've seen encounters that are much more complex. The higher difficulty that reshuffles the enemies is also good for replay value. That being said, the lack of the jump has concerned me since the initial reveal (even more odd since Juggles are still around it seems) and I imagine that will continue.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
?????
Know what? That GOW is close to Norse Myths? You listened to the Lost Pages podcasts and the links I posted millions of times? Or Do you allude that Marvel Thor is the real deal???

The fuck...?

Anyway, yeah I meant the depiction of Norse mythology and Thor's appearance that you described? Just from said on a podcast? Until you actually play the game itself I don't how you can say that for sure.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017

While I'm not that extreme, there's some stuff in here that looks straight out of a ND game or the recent Tomb Raider (hold forward to sidle through cramped corridors), straightforward climbing sequences, and just general ND like pacing. The quiet walk and talk moments that get interrupted by characters falling, leading to bigger enemy encounters is definitely right at home in an Uncharted or TLOU.

I don't know if these are necessarily bad things though.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the combat looks great-tier watching it, but playing it might be different entirely.

Too early to call until you try it yourself.

Graphics and atmosphere look fantastic, but obviously linear and this segment of the game at least has a lot of cutscenes. It will live or die based on how good the combat actually is because that's where the gameplay focus is. Look at how linear Doom 2016 was. It didn't matter because all you were looking forward to was the next fight.

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While I'm not that extreme, there's some stuff in here that looks straight out of a ND game or the recent Tomb Raider (hold forward to sidle through cramped corridors), straightforward climbing sequences, and just general ND like pacing. The quiet walk and talk moments that get interrupted by characters falling, leading to bigger enemy encounters is definitely right at home in an Uncharted or TLOU.

You quoted Uncharted and TLOU but to me it's also remniscent of COD campaign really. Scripted event on a linear path that drags you elsewhere to the next cutscene. Except cutscenes are longer, and can you even pass them ?

Maybe Boss fights can save it all who knows.

Oct 29, 2017
That encounter looked really bad, all the other stuff that has been show previously was great but that horde of enemies+narrow path was awkward. I hope it was just a "get out of there asap" section or something

Mar 23, 2018
Gonna tell you what is the biggest swerve-thingy I wanted this game to reveal. It was the following:

Almost at the end of the game, some god/enemy heavily injures the kid, almost dying. Kratos is having flashbacks from his old days(he tried to forget who he was?) but seeing his kid like that made him remember all of that. All of this while this music is becoming more and more intense.

Kratos goes berserk on everybody. Then he brings the kid back to wherever there's someone that can heal him.

"My vengeance... begins now"(ayy lmao)

Camera cut* to Kratos going to the bathroom and shaving his beard. This dude just brings the Blades of Chaos from a crate buried in the garden. And the final third of the game begins with good ol Kratos coming back. Almost everyone gets a new and the old Kratos in the game, nobody can complain. We're all happy.

Cory, bb, if you wanna contact me to make the next GoW just send me a message here.

If something remotely close to this is happening then sign me up.

*Actually, no camera cuts in this game. Just follow Kratos to the bathroom

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The kid is ill and we are witnessing this more and more. He now has snotty coughs. In previous artworks we saw Kratos carrying him on his back while he has fully white hair (which means it will get palerin time like in SOTC or DmC). I wonder if his body can't sustain the inherited curse from Kratos and how the latter will feel about this.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY

I think that sums it up pretty well.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

That's straight from God of War 3 though

Oct 27, 2017

These are all things I've encountered in GOW 3.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
That's straight from God of War 3 though
I haven't played that game basically since it came out, but I felt like those sequences were usually simple platforming challenges like timing your sidle between obstacles and spikes and stuff, or some absurd thing like doing it on a moving titan or while a battle was happening in the background.

The ones in the video really feel right out of an ND game thanks to the tight camera and the general pacing of the dialogue. I think about all the various staples of those games too like team lifts and little touches like that.

Again, I don't think these are bad things but it does lend to this feeling so much like one of those games with a different core interaction. I'm not criticizing this game as a "GoW3 did it right," so much as the pacing being strikingly similar to a ND game.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Kratos should give that axe to his son more often, he seems more useful with it than that puny bow.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Kratos should give that axe to his son more often, he seems more useful with it than that puny bow.

We aren't so sure in that scene where Kratos was absent inside the light beam that whether his son used the axe or the bow. We know he used his mother's knife too.
I don't think he could have killed that amount of enemies with an axe he can barely hold or lift, unless he used with his hidden power which drained his life force and made him ill.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
We aren't so sure in that scene where Kratos was absent inside the light beam that whether his son used the axe or the bow. We know he used his mother's knife too.
I don't think he could have killed that amount of enemies with an axe he can barely hold or lift, unless he used with his hidden power which drained his life force and made him ill.

You can see the axe stuck in the corpse of one of the enemies.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played that game basically since it came out, but I felt like those sequences were usually simple platforming challenges like timing your sidle between obstacles and spikes and stuff, or some absurd thing like doing it on a moving titan or while a battle was happening in the background.

The ones in the video really feel right out of an ND game thanks to the tight camera and the general pacing of the dialogue. I think about all the various staples of those games too like team lifts and little touches like that.

Again, I don't think these are bad things but it does lend to this feeling so much like one of those games with a different core interaction. I'm not criticizing this game as a "GoW3 did it right," so much as the pacing being strikingly similar to a ND game.
I mean stuff like squeezing through tight spaces as the camera pulls in close and simple platforming sections are right out of GoW 3's playbook. Like there were moments like that within the first 20 minutes of the game while you were inside Gaia.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Why would you have to jump to combo? In this game you don't need to, you can launch enemies in the air, carry out juggles, combinations etc without having to jump. Technically Kratos was stringing large combos together here, of different enemy hits and kills (even though they die really fast) but there just isn't a combo indicator to highlight that.

And obviously this is a more linear part of the game where they are literally crossing narrow bridges in some sort of underground mine or system, whilst other combat arenas we've seen are instead wider and/or larger.

Oct 25, 2017
After watching some of the leaked footage, I guess we now have a conclusive answer to whether the game sustains the illusion of an unbroken shot—and that answer is no. White-out transitions galore.