• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I mostly use the axe after using the blades for awhile because I just found it more fun to use. I mean, the axe throw doesn't work great against tanky mobs but most encounters have a variety of enemy types. It can also work very well as a group CC tool against lighter mobs because you can juggle an entire group with heavies for an extended time.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished GoW 3 remastered again. Damn, Stig Asmussen directed the game very well!

Oct 26, 2017
It's not framed heroically. Kratos had two bad options a chose the one he thought is better in the long run.

I know that fiction narrows down the scope of possibilities to limited options, but Kratos could have easily said "I'll kill him if you, Freya, let yourself be killed by Baldur" to try to stop both Freya and Baldur's deaths.

Baldur's crimes are way less bad than Kratos' and Baldur's torture and abuse from Freya was extreme so if the game believes Kratos can become at least an average person, the game's logic should suggest that Baldur could easily become an at least average person.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game's understanding of domestic violence is really strange...

-Freya tortures and abuses Baldur for a hundred years.

-Baldur goes insane and starts killing random people and being a Kratos stand-in from the prior games.
-Baldur tries to kill Freya
-Kratos kills Baldur even though Freya begs him not too.

I dislike that Kratos killing Baldur is framed heroically... Killing an abuser against the wishes of the person he abused (in the frame of Baldur as the abuser which is highly questionable) is just removing all agency from the abused and is pretty bad... Killing the abused for trying to kill their abuser is even worse.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think it's meant to be seen that way. Mimir frames Freya and Baldur's relationship as that of an overprotective mother who, due to "her own fear" and unwillingness to cope with the thought of losing her child, acts against his wishes and interests.

She's basically a stand-in for a helicopter parent.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I know that fiction narrows down the scope of possibilities to limited options, but Kratos could have easily said "I'll kill him if you, Freya, let yourself be killed by Baldur" to try to stop both Freya and Baldur's deaths.

Baldur's crimes are way less bad than Kratos' and Baldur's torture and abuse from Freya was extreme so if the game believes Kratos can become at least an average person, the game's logic should suggest that Baldur could easily become an at least average person.
Kratos still isn't a good guy. Mimir says "I guess we're the bad guys now" for a reason. The boy wanted Freya to live so Kratos kills Baldur, I don't think he really cared about Freya either way really and would have let her die if the Boy didn't say stop him.

Oct 26, 2017
Unless I'm missing something, I don't think it's meant to be seen that way. Mimir frames Freya and Baldur's relationship as that of an overprotective mother who, due to "her own fear" and unwillingness to cope with the thought of losing her child, acts against his wishes and interests.

She's basically a stand-in for a helicopter parent.

My parents refused to let me seek counseling for my suicidal depression and instead I went through 8 years of pain and agony. I viewed that as abuse. So I view Freya leading to Baldur's, actual strongly depression-like, symptoms as abuse and torture.

Lucc

Oct 29, 2017
Btw, is there something keeping Freya from resurrecting Baldur like she resurrected a severed head?

Can she only resurrect Vanir? But Baldur is half Vanir, so shouldn't be impossible

Only condition seems that the head needed to be fresh. Baldur seems still pretty fresh

Maybe Kratos did it knowing that. On the other hand Freyas reaction seems to hint that she can't resurrect him.. or she just didn't want see him get hurt

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Btw, is there something keeping Freya from resurrecting Baldur like she resurrected a severed head?

Can she only resurrect Vanir? But Baldur is half Vanir, so shouldn't be impossible

Only condition seems that the head needed to be fresh. Baldur seems still pretty fresh

Maybe Kratos did it knowing that. On the other hand Freyas reaction seems to hint that she can't resurrect him.. or she just didn't want see him get hurt
They addressed that. Mimir is reanimated, not alive. She doesn't want the same for her son. Mimir said this when I tried to go back to her home after the ending.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

If you go back to her house after you beat the game Atreus asks that same question to Mimir. Mimir says that hes not really "alive" and that the state hes in is pretty bad and Freya wouldnt want that for her son.

Kaotic

Oct 23, 2017
New York
It was a shitty situation and it seems like even though Freya would hate Kratos for killing her son, she was the lesser of two evils to keep alive. She might still be reasoned with, while Baldur just seemed to be a lost cause. There was no getting through to him. Also she did help save Atreus' life when he got sick so maybe he felt he owed her for that. Just my two cents on that topic.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Mimir says he's not actually alive in a conversation and she can't revive the dead. I can't remember exactly what he said though or how I triggered the conversation (I think going to her house post game triggered it, though might've been a boat story).
Edit: beaten.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I killed three of the Valkyries on my first try, including the one in Niflheim in the stupid ass deadly mist.

I went to the council place in Midard and placed all of the helmets on the thrones...

Fucking Sigrun...

Whoa. Um...holy shit is she hard. Seriously guys...You better prepare.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My parents refused to let me seek counseling for my suicidal depression and instead I went through 8 years of pain and agony. I viewed that as abuse. So I view Freya leading to Baldur's, actual strongly depression-like, symptoms as abuse and torture.
Then you're speaking to a broader societal problem with what people constitute as abuse.

In most media, the hierarchy seems to be: Physical/Sexual Abuse>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Verbal Abuse>>> Psychological Abuse. Baldur strangling his mom would be seen as abhorrent by most, while Freya's actions are framed as well-intentioned but selfish.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I killed three of the Valkyries on my first try, including the one in Niflheim in the stupid ass deadly mist.

I went to the council place in Midard and placed all of the helmets on the thrones...

Fucking Sigrun...

Whoah. Um...holy shit is she hard.
Keep going, destroy the rest!!

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Other option, let Freya die, then kill Baldur. There no one left to take revenge besides Odin and friends but they're trying to fuck with you anyway.

Thor and Odin must think of the greek gods as a bunch of weaklings cause I can't imagine why anyone would try to bother Kratos after he wiped them out. They did really think Magni and Modi were gonna do shit?

Last edited:

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game's understanding of domestic violence is really strange...

-Freya tortures and abuses Baldur for a hundred years.
-Baldur goes insane and starts killing random people and being a Kratos stand-in from the prior games.
-Baldur tries to kill Freya
-Kratos kills Baldur even though Freya begs him not too.

I dislike that Kratos killing Baldur is framed heroically... Killing an abuser against the wishes of the person he abused (in the frame of Baldur as the abuser which is highly questionable) is just removing all agency from the abused and is pretty bad... Killing the abused for trying to kill their abuser is even worse.

The game has Kratos transforming into a less terrible person (off-screen transformation mostly but still) but then it's like "Kratos killing Baldur is very good"

My uncle is a domestic abuser and I've wanted to kill him in my life, but his wife doesn't want him to be killed or imprisoned because she still has feelings for him and to kill him would be to want to sate my desire for vengeance and blood instead of caring about what she (the abused) actually wants)

(note that this is not the case for other forms of domestic violence. I have relatives who receive texts from abusers threatening to kill themselves because they think it will make the abused feel bad... And some of the abused relatives I have REALLY want their abusers to please kill themselves and how that would be really nice. But Freya, even in the framed of being abused which again is really questionable, is someone more similar to my uncle's wife).

Those are my thoughts as someone who has gone through a lot of domestic violence experiences (second-hand) in my life and as someone whose parents bullied me and caused my suicidal depression (which made this plot line shockingly close to my actual life so I would have liked to be handled perfectly or... at least not badly).
Have you played the game?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How do you even start the Valkyrie quest? I'm really interested now after hearing more about it.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Other option, let Freya die, then kill Baldur. There no one left to take revenge besides Odin and friends but they're trying to fuck with you anyway.

Thor and Odin must think of the greek gods as a bunch of weaklings cause I can't imagine why anyone would try to bother Kratos after he wiped them out. They did really think Magni and Modi were gonna di shitm
I'm not convinced they know who Kratos really is.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I did. Sigrun is the final boss. She is stupid hard. I've only tried once. Seeing what I should do.
You pretty much have to master the combat and play perfectly. I found the Rune that lets you trigger slow-mo with L1+X is super helpful though. One of the Nilfhiem armours gives you health regen too. It's not needed, but helps a lot.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Killing Freya would not be very good for Midgard. Baldur would have come after Kratos anyhow, since Odin will command it anyway.

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a PS4 at school as I left it with my brother. I'll probably play it when I come back to my brother's house this summer. But I wanted to see the story so I watched a playthrough (without commentary).
Did you watch the whole game or just bits of it? Because your statement dose not make sense sorry. Freya was an overprotective mother wanted her son not to get hurt or die.

Jan 10, 2018
So in Jotunheim, what did that last painting on the wall show? Was it Kratos lying dead in Atreus arms?

And why did Atreus act like an asshole mid-game? I never understood what made him do that.

Oct 25, 2017
You pretty much have to master the combat and play perfectly. I found the Rune that lets you trigger slow-mo with L1+X is super helpful though. One of the Nilfhiem armours gives you health regen too. It's not needed, but helps a lot.

Witch-time + Atreus Wolves help stun lock her enough to launch all the specials into her. Then let Sigrun do enough damage and use rage to get health as you deal damage. Let her kill you and use a rage stone to get full meter and use wolves to stun her again so you can make her eat all the rage meter.

I think how hard it is depends on the RNG of what other Valkyrie's moves she uses.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Thor and Odin must think of the greek gods as a bunch of weaklings cause I can't imagine why anyone would try to bother Kratos after he wiped them out. They did really think Magni and Modi were gonna di shitm

See Baldur was Looking for Kratos's wife when he first came. Remember the Aesire can't get into Jotenhiem without knowing what Laufeye knew but they have little Idea of where she is. So basically Baldur came looking for a giant and that is why everything in the beginning is weird about the shit he is saying to him.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
I am just looking forward to bashing Thor's face in in the sequel and dual wielding Mjolnir and Leviathan :D

Oct 26, 2017
Did you watch the whole game or just bits of it? Because your statement dose not make sense sorry. Freya was an overprotective mother wanted her son not to get hurt or die.

The entire game.

I view "overprotection" that leads to massive suffering on the child's part as abuse as I viewed my parent's actions towards me that caused my suicidal depression as abuse even though they thought they were doing what was good for me also.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
So in Jotunheim, what did that last painting on the wall show? Was it Kratos lying dead in Atreus arms?

And why did Atreus act like an asshole mid-game? I never understood what made him do that.
Apparently yes, Kratos dead. Because he learned that he's a god and got cocky

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it took me over an hour of constant retries to beat Sigrun on the hardest difficulty with maxed-ish gear. By far the hardest part about the game.

Tips: Go into the fight with maxed Rage, and use Atreus' squirrel summon and he should give you more rage drops, and use the resurrection stone that gives you max rage. Enchantments that drop health on successful parries/runic abilities are also useful.

Strat: Fight for aslong as you can until you're low health, Rage - punch the shit out of her to regen health, activate squirrel and use Rage again, eventually die, resummon with max rage and hopefully that will be enough to kill her.

You have to memorize every attack she has and look for the split second clues on what shes doing and react accordingly. Its hard but it feels amazing when you finally get it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Witch-time + Atreus Wolves help stun lock her enough to launch all the specials into her. Then let Sigrun do enough damage and use rage to get health as you deal damage. Let her kill you and use a rage stone to get full meter and use wolves to stun her again so you can make her eat all the rage meter.

I think how hard it is depends on the RNG of what other Valkyrie's moves she uses.
I agree there, the neck stomp move is especially annoying, I had so much trouble predicting it, it's fast as fuck, will hit you through a runic attack and it pretty much 1 hit kills you on Hard.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Maxed epic gear or not yet?

I have the chest for Ivaldi's Deadly Mist set. I can craft the arms and waist too, I just need more cash. I'm basically broke. I can upgrade my Valkyrie set too, just need cash. I have all the necessary materials. I have a full set of one of the Muspelheim sets too, but I don't think it will suit me well for this fight.

I got a lot of epic items. I'm currently stacked with strength because I essentially brute forced my way through the previous fights. Sigrun seems to have so much health, so it probably is a game of endurance. Having higher vitality and defense will probably be better.

Ivaldi's Corrupted Mind enchantment weakens all enemies within a 15 meter radius. Valkyrie's Bane reduces damage sustained by Valkyrie attacks by 5%, but I only have one (max is three). Plus, it's only level 5. All of my really good enchantments are level 7 or 6 and all epic tier.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
I have the chest for Ivaldi's Deadly Mist set. I can craft the arms and waist too, I just need more cash. I'm basically broke. I can upgrade my Valkyrie set too, just need cash. I have all the nnecneces materials.

I got a lot of epic items. I'm currently stacked with strength because I essentially brute forced my way through the previous fights. Sigrun seems to have so much health, so it probably is a game of endurance. Having higher vitality and defense will probably be better.

Ivaldi's Corrupted Mind enchantment weakens all enemies within a 15 meter radius. Valkyrie's Bane reduces damage sustainee by Valkyrie attacks by 5%, but I only have one (max is three). Plus, it's only level 5. All of my really good enchantments are level 7 or 6 and all epic tier.
Work on them then. Its about time you're maxed out

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished. So they talk up Thor and Odin so much and they just......don't show up? Like fighting Magni and Modi felt like the most overt foreshadowing for at least one of the two to be fought later, even if nobody wins and they save a rematch for the sequel.

The game has way too many MacGuffin hunts that sort of become a parody. I was floored when Mimir revealed we had to go in the world serpent's mouth to get his other eye WHILE THE REALM TRANSPORTATION PROCESS HAD ALREADY STARTED. Then there's the bilight, the search for the black rune, the chisel, the troll's heart...stuff like this in a story just doesn't feel good. It feels like stalling, even if they do make some headway between Kratos and Atreus' relationship in the meantime. Also just never really cared much for the two? Like they're not terrible but it feels like there was more opening up to happen between the two that never does. I had a huge grin on my face when Brok and Sindri made up, can't say the same for Kratos and Atreus.

There's really only one woman character in the whole game, huh? (No, Athena does not count)

Combat was mostly pretty great, even if it could have done with more enemy variety. Game definitely needed more great boss fights then it had; by my count it had 3, and two of those were against the same person (Balder).

Visually, it was pretty hit or miss? Giant monsters like the dragons, that crazy Bloodborne-ass raven thing in Helheim, the world serpent, the turtle house all looked incredible. But then you've got Freya who looks like she was acceptable for Santa Monica's initial pitch video but never iterated upon after, and the water....frankly, it looks really bad and flat, especially when in direct juxtaposition to the other visual elements in the game right next to it.

The side cast were really the emotional meat of this game to me. Loved Brok, Sindri, and Freya (until she had her turn at the end there, really wish that didn't happen). ADORED Mimir, definitely going to be this game's Sully (Uncharted) going forward.

Have a lot more side stuff to tackle (haven't even gone to Nilfheim yet) but what I've played of it I've mostly really enjoyed.

Even though I knew it was coming, the stuff around getting the Blades of Chaos back all felt really great and a smart nod back to the original series.

This game made me want to read a lot more about Norse mythology. Its portrayal of the mythos is really excellent and nuanced. I was getting tired of the ways in which it felt like Atreus was a walking dictionary on the subject (reminded me a lot of Nathan Drake in Uncharted), but eventually you hit a point where his knowledgebase has a lot of gaps which is where Mimir comes in. On that note, the game does a lot of really smart things in regards to integrating AAA video game tropes in such a way that fit with the world and mythology.

I liked the game overall but I definitely do not think it was this all-time masterpiece that it was hyped up to be. I think a sequel where they're not spending so much time working on an engine / figuring out exactly what the game is going to be and instead spend more time with developing cool boss fights and deepening the relationship between Kratos and Atreus (please for the love of god keep Mimir around) could be really fascinating.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they insane lol?! Just had to fight like 15 mins at that Muspelheim Kill 100 Enemies challenge. That felt like an eternity and I didn't get any healing stones. Jesus

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I know Kratos calling him boy has become a meme (and rightfully so it's hilarious) but after the long journey and adventuring when Kratos called Atreus son and told him he did a good job that hit like a ton of bricks.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is the case since both children will survive Ragnarok and will inherit Mjolnir from their father.

We aren't sure if Modi is really dead, at least Kratos didn't kill him. And Magni isn't dead because Kratos said: we should keep an eye on him: http://cdn.atomix.vg/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/God-of-War_20180408192432.jpg

From I saw in this game and the comic: Kratos is not the same bloodthirsty person he was before and he is awanting to avoid killing as much as possible.
Im not sure if this has been addressed in the 30 or so pages since but Magni is indeed dead. Kratos doesn't say that, Mimir says it and he is referring to Atreus as this is when he becomes ill again. Id be surprised if Modi isn't dead too.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing the Stronghold favor

How do you get the Wind of Hel across the gap? There's not enough time because you need to shimmy across the ledge

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Ok this was cool to spot.. look who crash landed after the fight with Baldur. Even had a Dragon Tear underneath his head.

Vth385k.jpg

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017