• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
And that is ignoring that Doomguy has been just a guy who shots rockets without insane gore for most of his life.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
evd7b9ms8zr11.gif
PeskyIdioticFalcon-size_restricted.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Doom guys character traits are someone who considers violence the first, best, and only option. Have him attack with wild furious punches. Motion can express a lot through the characters.

That's not the character I know, though. If you have to completely break away from what the character is known for to "make them fit" in Smash, they shouldn't be in Smash.

EDIT: Anyway, it's abundantly clear we're not going to see eye to eye on this. You're not going to convince me and I'm not going to convince you. Let's just drop it.

Dec 18, 2017
Doomslayer literally has a double jump, he was Smash material from the start.

In all seriousness, one can easily convey his violence without him decapitating Ridley. And I refuse to believe that Sakurai can't make magic from his insane arsenal, especially with the additions in Doom Eternal.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
If Doom gets in, I wonder if we can have the soundtrack from the classic games? There should be no issues there, right?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
my theory is that Piranha Plants, due to having true teeth and a tongue, aren't actually a plant, but a form of lungfish or amphibian that become sessile for parts of its life cycle, much like how a barnacle is a crustacean that is fixed in place

the existence of walking, larger piranha plants proves this to my mind. the "leaves" are actually flattened fins with thin bones.
What the fuck.

Youre right

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
What were you expecting to be included exactly?

And calling freaking Dragon Quest "animu" is ridiculously reductive.

Which is impressive considering "animu" is already a hilariously reductive attempt at criticism.

It's just that I think Smash has already plenty of anime looking characters. They could add more variety on the roster (which is already varied as heck obviously) by putting less anime-esque looking ones, you know?. Banjo, Rayman, more cartoony stuff like that. But yeah I mean, thinking about it there's really not much else to pick and put as new characters. It's just that DQ inclusion on Smash doesn't sound as exciting for Western audiences compared to Japan where DQ is huge.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong. PSABR was a tonal mess - none of the characters meshed together well at all. And I say that as someone who got the platinum trophy for that mistake of a game.

I don't know what this is even supposed to mean. The problem with PSAS was purely down to its gameplay issues and lack of support from Sony, the way the characters were represented was easily the game's biggest highlight. If you had an issue with how they "meshed" then it's 100% down to your own bias, much like this bizarre argument about how Doomguy is so inseperable from ultraviolence but the hypersexualized half-naked BDSM witch that uses guillotines and iron maidens on her foes fits in perfectly with cartoon dinosaurs and electric mice.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like, I'm not gonna argue against Doom guy but PSABR is not exactly an inspiring example especially in that regard.

Doom's been rereleased so many times if there was issues with the soundtrack they would have been brought up by now wouldn't they?
Yeah good point. I remember hearing about the soundtrack having plagiarism of sorts but I don't know the full extent (or whether it's true or not) so I was a bit worried if they would get excluded in any way. I have such a huge nostalgia for the classic soundtrack.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what this is even supposed to mean. The problem with PSAS was purely down to its gameplay issues and lack of support from Sony, the way the characters were represented was easily the game's biggest highlight. If you had an issue with how they "meshed" then it's 100% down to your own bias, much like this bizarre argument about how Doomguy is so inseperable from ultraviolence but the hypersexualized half-naked BDSM witch that uses guillotines and iron maidens on her foes fits in perfectly with cartoon dinosaurs and electric mice.

PSABR as a game makes no sense. Having Random Helghast goofus #47 shooting Jak and Daxter in the face with an assault rifle while Kratos rips the stuffing out of Sackboy just looks ridiculous and bad. Absolutely no care was put into making sure the characters meshed together tonally, artistically or creatively. There WAS a way to do it, and Superbot unfortunately didn't have the time or the budget to figure out what that was.

Also, I don't think Bayonetta does fit into Smash, honestly.

Deleted member 35156

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
This is my crazy guess but what if brave is Agumon? When digimon's digivolve in the series the song Brave Heart plays in the background. Also Agumon is associated with the crest of courage which is close to meaning brave.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what this is even supposed to mean. The problem with PSAS was purely down to its gameplay issues and lack of support from Sony, the way the characters were represented was easily the game's biggest highlight.

What timeline are you from? PSABR's game play was the only "redeemable" aspect most people found in regards to the game. Presentationally, the game was a total trash fire. People still point to how utterly disjointed the look of the entire game is. The menu alone makes Smash 4's disorganized bedroom of a menu look like a palette cleanser.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like, I'm not gonna argue against Doom guy but PSABR is not exactly an inspiring example especially in that regard.

Yeah good point. I remember hearing about the soundtrack having plagiarism of sorts but I don't know the full extent (or whether it's true or not) so I was a bit worried if they would get excluded in any way. I have such a huge nostalgia for the classic soundtrack.
They use riffs from several songs but I'm not sure if it's enough to cause trouble.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
incidentally, I saw what Spike from Ape Escape looks like in PSABR for the first time today and it scared the living daylights out of me

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Smash includes a remix of Flash Man which unabashedly borrows the riff of Metallica's Seek n Destroy. I think they're going to be pretty fine with music if they bother to include Doomguy, at least if they mainly stick to the Mick Gordon arrangements.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
What timeline are you from? PSABR's game play was the only "redeemable" aspect most people found in regards to the game. Presentationally, the game was a total trash fire.

Do you have some examples of what you mean? I can't think of any characters who felt like they weren't represented properly or felt out of place compared to the others. If anything you might say that they went too far in recreating the characters, as unlike Smash where everyone has a pretty uniform control scheme and moveset and thus are pretty easy to get a handle on, PSAS characters just do whatever the hell they want in order to be as faithful as possible (like how Sly Cooper doesn't have a block button and instead can turn invisible like he does in the first game, or how Dante and Nariko basically force you to pull off massive combos to be effective).

edit: Also no, no one who played the game at a competitive level will tell you the gameplay was redeemable. Legitimately one of the most horrifically unbalanced fighting games ever made. Speaking as someone who made it to top 20 on the leaderboards at one point.

incidentally, I saw what Spike from Ape Escape looks like in PSABR for the first time today and it scared the living daylights out of me

Spike looked weird even in his own games TBH.

hqdefault.jpg

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What timeline are you from? PSABR's game play was the only "redeemable" aspect most people found in regards to the game. Presentationally, the game was a total trash fire. People still point to how utterly disjointed the look of the entire game is. The menu alone makes Smash 4's disorganized bedroom of a menu look like a palette cleanser.
Which kind of speaks more to the efforts of Smash's team where they have the freedom to modify characters to better fit in. Things like Ridley's design being an amalgam of different appearances and posed in such a way as to better suit the gameplay while still being a representation of the character, Bayonetta not fully undressing and not having torture attacks but still being a bit risque in action, etc.

There's no reason why PSASBR had to be a bad game, they just made poor decisions.

kakistocrats

Oct 29, 2017
Where does the fascination with putting completely idiosyncratic characters in Smash come from? Is it pent-up frustration about the lack of support from Nintendo of the Melee FGC? Western fans who feel so neglected by Nintendo that they're desperate for any type of acknowledgement at all, even if it only comes in the form of a Microsoft IP showing up in Smash Ultimate?

They are not going to put Master Chief, Steve, and Doomguy in Smash. Look at the history of the franchise. The Fighter Pass characters we have solid intel on so far are Joker and Erdrick, who are actually more Japan-oriented than previous newcomers. The other three are going to be like, Monster Hunter, Detective Pikachu, and 2B. You will see Apollo Justice and Tatanga from Super Mario Land before you see a western newcomer in this game. You know it's the truth.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have some examples of what you mean? I can't think of any characters who felt like they weren't represented properly or felt out of place compared to the others. If anything you might say that they went too far in recreating the characters, as unlike Smash where everyone has a pretty uniform control scheme and moveset and thus are pretty easy to get a handle on, PSAS characters just do whatever the hell they want in order to be as faithful as possible (like how Sly Cooper doesn't have a block button and instead can turn invisible like he does in the first game, or how Dante and Nariko basically force you to pull off massive combos to be effective).

The big problem is that the art styles in no way mesh with each other. Radec is modeled completely realistically, as is Drake. Then you have this weird anime cartoon version of Spike, and God of War 3-era super-detailed Kratos, and heroin addict Donte and Jak/Daxter.

Smash at least makes an attempt to try and have all (okay, MOST) of the characters share a unified art style so that even the characters who normally wouldn't click (Snake, etc) still don't feel like their models were ripped out of a completely different game.

Put another way, the tone in Smash is playful and cartoonish, allowing the characters to kind of click even when they shouldn't, which turns weirdness into comedy, whereas PSABR doesn't even have a tone because Superbot regrettably didn't get enough time or budget to actually figure one out.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have some examples of what you mean? I can't think of any characters who felt like they weren't represented properly or felt out of place compared to the others. If anything you might say that they went too far in recreating the characters, as unlike Smash where everyone has a pretty uniform control scheme and moveset and thus are pretty easy to get a handle on, PSAS characters just do whatever the hell they want in order to be as faithful as possible (like how Sly Cooper doesn't have a block button and instead can turn invisible like he does in the first game, or how Dante and Nariko basically force you to pull off massive combos to be effective)

You just answered your own question in regards to its own aesthetic incongruity, and this is on top of the entire enterprise being held together by the laziest aesthetic design a crossover can muster. PSABR is a bad example to use here, straight up. "Oh look, a Loco Roco jumps on a Metal Gear, that's a cute crossover", until you realize that these designs are so poorly woven together that it feels more like you're watching one of Sony's Playstation adverts.
edit: Also no, no one who played the game at a competitive level will tell you the gameplay was redeemable. Legitimately one of the most horrifically unbalanced fighting games ever made. Speaking as someone who made it to top 20 on the leaderboards at one point.

Yeah, and the fact that the game play was the only decent thing about the game should be telling about how bad everything else is.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I don't think Doomguy is an impossible fit for Smash, but sure is a tough one. Much harder to do than either Bayonetta or Snake. But now I want him in, just to see how Sakurai and the Smash team make it work in the game.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
You just answered your own question in regards to its own aesthetic incongruity, and this is on top of the entire enterprise being held together by the laziest aesthetic design a crossover can muster. PSABR is a bad example to use here, straight up.

I guess what I see as an impressive dedication to keeping characters faithful is seen by others as laziness and a poor attempt at integration. Well, to each their own.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Where does the fascination with putting completely idiosyncratic characters in Smash come from? Is it pent-up frustration about the lack of support from Nintendo of the Melee FGC? Western fans who feel so neglected by Nintendo that they're desperate for any type of acknowledgement at all, even if it only comes in the form of a Microsoft IP showing up in Smash Ultimate?

They are not going to put Master Chief, Steve, and Doomguy in Smash. Look at the history of the franchise. The Fighter Pass characters we have solid intel on so far are Joker and Erdrick, who are actually more Japan-oriented than previous newcomers. The other three are going to be like, Monster Hunter, Detective Pikachu, and 2B. You will see Apollo Justice and Tatanga from Super Mario Land before you see a western newcomer in this game. You know it's the truth.
I mean, it's not like Doom Slayer & Steve don't have a presence in Japan. Hell, Minecraft is huge over there. And I'm not too sure about Detective Pikachu over, say, a Gen 8 Pokémon.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
The big problem is that the art styles in no way mesh with each other. Radec is modeled completely realistically, as is Drake. Then you have this weird anime cartoon version of Spike, and God of War 3-era super-detailed Kratos, and heroin addict Donte and Jak/Daxter.

Smash at least makes an attempt to try and have all (okay, MOST) of the characters share a unified art style so that even the characters who normally wouldn't click (Snake, etc) still don't feel like their models were ripped out of a completely different game.

Put another way, the tone in Smash is playful and cartoonish, allowing the characters to kind of click even when they shouldn't, which turns weirdness into comedy, whereas PSABR doesn't even have a tone because Superbot regrettably didn't get enough time or budget to actually figure one out.

I disagree, as someone who played a lot of PASBR back in the day, i think most of the flaws of the games were completely separated from the visuals, sure, Smash bros still does the integration much better, but the tonal discrepancies between charatcers in PASBR weren't as bad as some of you make it sound, PASBR looked like it had to.

For me, the game failed to deliver in many other ways (most importantly: Roster choices, Levels not cycling, poor music choices, Supers as the only KO method, etc) but visually it was....adequate.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Smash DLC has long being a celebration of gaming history as a whole.

Steve and Doomguy ABSOLUTELY belong to gaming history considering how Doomguy is basically the FATHER of the FPS genre and how HUGE is minecraft.
Also, Minecraft is STUPIDLY HUGE in japan so you argument super fits Steve.

But yeah, Master Chief has no chance.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess what I see as an impressive dedication to keeping characters faithful is seen by others as laziness and a poor attempt at integration. Well, to each their own.

I think the thing is that they could've integrated them better while preserving their essence. The problem is that the game was a very, very clear rush-job with signs of cut corners everywhere, and the developers themselves were clearly not happy with the state of the product that released.

I legitimately feel bad for Superbot, because for a first try it wasn't a total abomination, but it's clear that Sony lost faith in the project pretty quickly and instead of giving the devs the time and the money to make it a true star they decided instead to lean on third-party co-marketing deals with characters nobody really associated with Playstation (Big Daddy, Nu-Dante, Raiden) in an attempt to profit off of the project whether it was a success or not. And even though it did sell decently well, Sony didn't have enough faith in the team to give it any meaningful post-launch support, cancelling DLC characters like Dart and the Square Enix collaboration that had been rumored for a while.

For me, the game failed to deliver in many other ways (most importantly: Roster choices, Levels not cycling, poor music choices, Supers as the only KO method, etc) but visually it was....adequate.

Yeah, while Superbot wasn't an amazing dev, and there were certainly major mechanical flaws in the core design, I place 90% of the blame for PSABR's failure at Sony's feet - as a publisher, they simply did not take care of the game the way they should've. It should've been an absolute slam dunk - "Smash Bros, on PlayStation!" is one of the easiest marketing concepts you could possibly throw to a publisher - and they bunted it.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

...and Doomguy could look just like that as well.

Tone down the shaders on this model and you've got a character that would be right at home next to Solid Snake:

XJ9uw23.jpg

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Official List of Criteria That Makes You Ineligible For Smash (Revised 1/1/19)

Being third-party
Being from a violent game
Being from a game that's not on a Nintendo platform
• Being a Western character

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

A chef can make the most delicious steak dinner and the most delicious dessert, but you wouldn't combine the two. Sure, I guess I can admire the accuracy, but I ain't about to eat it.

Tone and consistency is important, no matter what you're trying to cross over. It's like undercutting a dark and gritty joyless action movie with a crass and unnecessary frat-movie brick joke about someone's pee.

Mar 9, 2018

Or maybe we like these characters and franchises and like the idea of Smash Bros pulling some of the most memorable characters and franchises across the industry into one place, including DOOM which influenced an entire genre. DOOM is a titan of PC gaming and I think it's exciting to think about Smash Bros having its hands in that cookie jar, even if I generally play Smash Bros because I like Nintendo characters.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Being third-party

But what about Diddy and K. Rool?!?!

*Updates list to say "Being a character form the United States"*

But what about Dark Samus!?

*Updates list to say "Being a character from the United States unless it's an Echo"*

There. Now we've properly codified it.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
If it happens, I really hope they use his Doom Eternal look.
qsdtqih7saf11.jpg

Better call backs to the original Doomguy all around with the contrast on the belly armor part and the exposed arms. Love how the grappling hook's arm is different than the rest too. 2016's Slayer was a bit too close to Master Chief in comparison.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I think Doom Guy is better suited to Mortal Kombat. But I'd totally be up for Smash just to see how they'd fit him in, and the amiibo!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Being third-party
Technically speaking, the third one is still valid since everyone in Smash was on a Nintendo system at least once. The only ones that actually still stand are...
  • Had to have first appeared in a video game
  • Isn't already an Assist Trophy in the same game
The "was on a Nintendo system at least once" thing, while still valid, is bound to be broken at some point.