• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
That image is deliberately misleading and comes from 4chan.

The Japanese Support is platonic too.

hENSDVv.png

Qp6obKw.png

But I'm sure no one will actually pay attention to this and keep on being indignant.

First time I have seen this, hope it's true.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017

hENSDVv.png

Qp6obKw.png

But I'm sure no one will actually pay attention to this and keep on being indignant.

Uh, if this is true then basically the entire discussion here is moot? There's nothing wrong with this whatsoever and that basically makes the image in OP an elaborate troll.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The Japanese lines in your image aren't even the same lines in the OP. Which are real? Or are your lines from a different support conversation?
The lines in the OP are real, but they're being deliberately put out of context.

The support goes something like "Alear takes out the ring, Anna thinks they're proposing and says she's too young, Alear clarifies that they're actually asking to be trade partners".

That last line is closer to "Someone very important to me" than "significant other".

GeiAtco.png

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
The lines in the OP are real, but they're being deliberately put out of context.

That last line is closer to "Someone very important to me" than "significant other".

While it's true it may have been posted like that to give angry reactions, the overall point still stands, they are basically dancing around you grooming and dating a 11 year old.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda is purposely written as a fairytale style kind of story. Not a war story.
Most Zelda games are literally about Ganon conquering Hyrule and taking over.
Fire Emblem is anime and fantasy as well - i dont think anyone is playing this and thinking these magicians are supposed to mirror real life conflicts.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

The support goes something like "Alear takes out the ring, Anna thinks they're proposing and says she's too young, Alear clarifies that they're actually asking to be trade partners".

GeiAtco.png

If the "even if its still too young for us to be lovers" part is real i dont think its as out of context as youre implying, no, even if it starts with this comedic undertone

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017

hENSDVv.png

Qp6obKw.png

I'm more inclined to believe creepy anime game is creepy than someone being like, "Well ACTUALLY the translation is wrong." Sorry.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah, editing this out was the correct choice.

Should be noted that the character designs were done by a woman.

I know that can be easy to forget but when it comes to character designs, the actual designer for said characters should be made aware of.
It really does not matter and she did not design them on her own in a vacuum without input or approval from others. Most character artists as far as I've ever read do not get free reign to design characters however they want. This has been a consistent point brought up by people with regards to Kozaki's role in the designs for Awakeing/Fates. There is an Art Director and others who provides design requests and direction of what characters they want and details about them. Whether ultimately drawn or designed by a man or woman these characters really aren't great.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda pity the "anime avatars" who constantly complain about "censorship", because it always ends the same. When you ask what got censored, it's always weird creepy shit like this.

Person A: "CENSORSHIP IS BAD!"
Person B: "Yeah, censorship can be bad. I agree. What got censored?"
Person A: "They removed the marriage dialogue for this 11 year old girl character."
Person B: 😐😐😐😐😐

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
its so weird that they chose for THIS to be the one in which Anna can be romanced, but not the previous one where she is an adult.

Did the Fire Emblem Fates creative team work on this? The awful story, bad writing and well, overall creepiness is something that was very much present and actually worse in FE Fates.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
God how does Nintendo not have anyone stopping this.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017

GeiAtco.png

okay, that is better than what the pictures in the OP was implying.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
its so weird that they chose for THIS to be the one in which Anna can be romanced, but not the previous one where she is an adult.

Did the Fire Emblem Fates creative team work on this? The awful story, bad writing and well, overall creepiness is something that was very much present and actually worse in FE Fates.

Yes, this game shares a lot of key staff with Fates, the head writer of Engage was one of Fates' main writers too.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

GeiAtco.png

The first and second line translations are still correct as far as I can tell.

MC uses the word "koibito" which means lover

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019

GeiAtco.png
Takes out the what now?

YohraUtopia

Apr 1, 2021
Even if there was no sexualization, there is no reason to have a game about a bunch of child soldiers. It's absolutely my least favorite non fan service trope. I never want to see children as combatants.

I mean XC3 just did this (sorta, since their tube people with accelerated maturation) with a decent deal of depth and nuance. Like when the party finally meets regular humans and are like "what are babies?" "what are novels?", etc. It's both funny and tragic.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
It really does not matter and she did not design them on her own in a vacuum without input or approval from others. Most character artists as far as I've ever read do not get free reign to design characters however they want. This has been a consistent point brought up by people with regards to Kozaki's role in the designs for Awakeing/Fates. There is an Art Director and others who provides design requests and direction of what characters they want and details about them. Whether ultimately drawn or designed by a man or woman these characters really aren't great.

Sorry, what are you trying to imply here, exactly? That she might not want to design characters this way and that higher ups are making her?

If that's true, to clarify further, the character designer in question: Mika Pikazo, kind of does draw these characters on her own. Along with other characters from different shows And games.

She's a very popular designer for VTubers and posts her art regularly on her own personal Twitter account and Instagram. Her extravagant and colorful style is what she's known for.

www.instagram.com

Mika Pikazo (@mika_pikazo_mpz) • Instagram photos and videos

75K Followers, 36 Following, 128 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Mika Pikazo (@mika_pikazo_mpz)

Like, take a look at her works here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The first and second line translations are still correct as far as I can tell.

MC uses the word "koibito" which means lover

Yeah, I noticed that too. My read on the middle line, as an extremely out of practice translator, is definitely along the lines of "well if we can't be lovers yet, maybe we can be partners instead..."

Someone with far more experience and knowledge than me could probably get a better translation though.

Takes out the what now?

You only get to S-support one character and you do so by giving them a ring. In a game called Fire Emblem ENGAGE. The subtext is so loud it makes Broly seem like a whisper.

Oct 25, 2017
What in the fuck? I mean, I know there are plenty of games that have pulled similar stunts, but….it's literally saying out loud in plain text "I am a child but let's date anyway"

What the fuck? How is this even allowed?

Here's a timestamp of an elected Tokyo official defending and arguing for protection of pedophilic content in media

NSFW obviously

youtu.be

Inside the Pedophilic Manga Industry in Japan

A loophole in Japan’s law on child abuse material allows artists to freely draw sex with children. Despite a growing number of nations moving to ban this fic...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sorry, what are you trying to imply here, exactly? That she might not want to design characters this way and that higher ups are making her?

If that's true, to clarify further, the character designer in question: Mika Pikazo, kind of does draw these characters on her own. Along with other characters from different shows And games.

She's a very popular designer for VTubers and posts her art regularly on her own personal Twitter account and Instagram. Her extravagant and colorful style is what she's known for.

www.instagram.com

75K Followers, 36 Following, 128 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Mika Pikazo (@mika_pikazo_mpz)

I know full well who she is and her other works and no I'm not saying she didn't want to draw them like this. I'm saying she didn't design them alone, there was input and approval from others in the process, and even if she had done it all alone the fact that she is a woman doesn't really change the problematic nature of them.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018

hENSDVv.png

Qp6obKw.png

GeiAtco.png
Love you tried to say "actually is not as bad as it looks" but the intent is basically the same

There was a reason it was changed in localization

Strat

Apr 8, 2018

www.instagram.com

How is it possible to misread something this poorly?

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022

GeiAtco.png

Significant Other is a common read of 大切な人. I'd say it leans more towards the possibility of being one-sided is all. It's an incredibly strong statement either way. And you're still introducing them to the family because...??

Here's a bazillion examples with English translation if you want to see how most of them lean.

Its less blatant but its still the same subtext. They're toying with pedo stuff the way Anime used to (still often does) bait gay relationships rather than showing them outright.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish someone would translate the whole thing with all the context possible because everything about the romances in this game has been shitposted to death by 4chan types since before the game is out. I'm sure the picture in the OP is directly from 4chan.

Regardless of the full context in this particular instance, the slide into dating sim Fire Emblem has experienced, gives me more and more pause as time goes on.

Nintendo has pretty ruthlessly leveraged this angle to increase the series popularity. They know who they're catering to.

For my part it is wearing very thin.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm 100% for this creepy shit to disappear. Game is fantastic, but the sexualization is unbearable.

memzero64

Apr 29, 2022
This out-of-context and intentionally poorly translated screenshot (sourced from 4chan) was deliberately designed to be rage bait for both the Japanese/anime-hate and localization/censorship-hate groups.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Commentary
Guess sourcing doesn't matter when it's making a point you agree with, huh.

Never change, Era

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I know full well who she is and her other works and no I'm not saying she didn't want to draw them like this. I'm saying she didn't design them alone, there was input and approval from others in the process, and even if she had done it all alone the fact that she is a woman doesn't really change the problematic nature of them.

Just to be clear here, which character designs in Engage are you finding to be problematic?

I'm looking at all of them myself and I'm struggling to find which ones would stand out to be that way.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'd definitely want to see a full translation from a fluent speaker of course. But after Nowi, I don't blame anyone for not giving Fire Emblem the benefit of doubt.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Commentary

Never change, Era

Do you want to elaborate on this, since there's still some conversation in the thread about how accurate the picture is?

Or are we just drive-by defending underage grooming?

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So can we get the full real story here? So much random information in this thread but can someone that played this game in Japanese give use the full context here?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the actual Japanese text is fabricated, I don't see anything off about the literal translations, per se. I don't know the context. But the second one doesn't sit right with me with or without context. Why write a scenario like this to begin with...?

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This out-of-context and intentionally poorly translated screenshot (sourced from 4chan) was deliberately designed to be rage bait for both the Japanese/anime-hate and localization/censorship-hate groups.
I've read the more nuanced explanation by a poster in this thread and to be honest it's not really the exoneration certain people are trying to say it is.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

Never change, Era
Can you help us out then? Can you translate more of the text? Is there some more context? Because I'd totally be ok with the game NOT sexualizing minor in case you were wondering.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
This isn't going to get any better considering we've already heard what the best argument is from both sides by now. Everything inbetween is either down to accuracy or interpretation, and that doesn't really fix the general scenario.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland

She was 25 in the previous game. Way too old.

Status
Not open for further replies.