• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
FQW4CVsVsAc1D6q.jpg
Hey it's Hans Moleman

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I went ahead and did just this because after seeing all this thrown about, I was curious what the original Japanese was.

Here's a video of the Japanese S-Supports, timestamped to Anna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh9opqfooRs&t=1952s

A comment: the "too soon to be anybody's lover" is specifically Alear saying 恋人にまだ早くても, which literally is ambiguous to who the subject of "lover" is, but 早い matches Anna's previous comment that "I'm too young for this [lover's day]", so I translated it with the subject being more general rather than have it point to Alear thesmelf.
Thanks!

This is uh, definitely still bad!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The baffling issue for me is -- why the fuck did they have to choose this context if the conclusion was only supposed to be that they remained friends/business partners. Why frame it as a conversation surrounding "Lover's Day." Why have the 11-yo give Alear a Lover's Day Gift. Why have Alear gift Anna a "Promise Ring" in return? I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt and have it end in a completely platonic friendship, have Alear only ever see Anna as a child and a friend. But there is so much about this conversation between Alear and Anna that reads unnecessarily romantic.

edit: as others have said, this reads a lot like it was intended to be the start of a romantic relationship, or a partnership that eventually led to marriage that at some point they changed to "actually all of these are now friendships."
I can answer that just from the localized C rank conversation. The entire support conversation starts with Anna lamenting how boring lover's day is because it's the same kind of gifts every year, and she sees big money potential in making a new kind of gift that is unique. If you swap lover's day for any other holiday, the support line would be a very basic "merchant character wants to think of a new way to make money" support line.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
Omw with the promise ring to talk to my 11 year old "friend" to ambiguously say "It's too soon to be lovers... but we can be partners!"

confident-businessman-walking-his-briefcase-confident-businessman-walking-his-briefcase-smiling-wearing-blue-152683723.jpg

IM SORRY BUT COME ON GUYS

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I can answer that just from the localized C rank conversation. The entire support conversation starts with Anna lamenting how boring lover's day is because it's the same kind of gifts every year, and she sees big money potential in making a new kind of gift that is unique. If you swap lover's day for any other holiday, the support line would be a very basic "merchant character wants to think of a new way to make money" support line.
Yep. I'm personally over the wink-wink plausible deniability though. Yes, you can argue that the original dialogue was platonic; but you'd be intellectually dishonest to dismiss the obvious inferences someone could draw. Especially in a series with 1,000 year old dragons.

Why couldn't they just either leave Anna at A support level or turn her into a protege who wants to capitalize off of her friend's fame? And also age her (and everyone else) up.

Every single JRPG would be better if everyone's stated ages were increased by 5.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is the mc of this game Matt Gaetz? Why the fuck are you even having a conversation with an 11 year old

It boggles the mind that IntSys thought the best way to bring recurring fan favorite character Anna back was to turn her into a literal child.

But then I remember that these are the same writers who made the canon romance in Fire Emblem Fates an incestuous relationship. They should not be writing major video games.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Yo wtf. I was joking before about the cousins before but the devs actually wanted to do that?
They wanted to and did. Azura's mom was Corrin's mother's sister. But it's okay because they didn't know. /s

Apparently the official art book retconned them as "sisters in spirit" but they're still descended from the same lineage.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It boggles the mind that IntSys thought the best way to bring recurring fan favorite character Anna back was to turn her into a literal child.

But then I remember that these are the same writers who made the canon romance in Fire Emblem Fates an incestuous relationship. They should not be writing major video games.

Yep and even looking at a proper translation its so obviously intended to be ambiguous so if the player wants to role play as a pedophile they can comfortably do so

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid, but I'm not surprised because Fates was only like, three mainline games ago and that game had zero problem setting up pseudo-incest pairings in both versions for your player character.

And then in the third storyline it LITERALLY gives you an incest relationship by retconning in the fact that Corrin and Azura are related.

Flagada

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2023
Seriously i'm sick of those people not playing fire emblem and thinking we play those games because we are creepy peoples.

Anna is my favourite character in the whole franchise (she's the chocobo of fire emblem) and i don't understand why she's not on smash bros lol.
But i won"t have a S support with her. No.

And i'm glad there was censorship about it in Engage.

But stop thinking fire emblem is about dating waifu. I'm so sick of reading this.

I really think there is some kind of conspiracy by some "gamers" who don't like the fact that fire emblem is succesful. There was a french journalist (Ken Bogard) who said "nintendo should ve killed fire emblem ten years ago and used that money for making a new fzero or kid icarus game"

sick of this.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
This is stupid, but I'm not surprised because Fates was only like, three mainline games ago and that game had zero problem setting up pseudo-incest pairings in both versions for your player character.
Don't forget how you can make a bunch of cousin incest pairings between the kids units by messing around with the Royal Siblings couples

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that the idea that "everyone should be older" or that there shouldn't be kids is kind of weird, because it suggests that the existence of kids is innately a sexual thing for the audience, which they really shouldn't be. Kids exist everywhere. They're a state of human life. They shouldn't be weird. Similarly, young people exist and a lot of them play games.

What's bad isn't the presence of kids or young people, it's creators that aren't responsible enough to decide that even if they've decided above pandering to otaku audiences, they shouldn't pander in a way that normalizes real world harmful behaviour.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Kudos to the localization teams for getting rid of this bullshit, but holy shit, why did they even think this was a good idea to begin with in Japan?

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I will say that the idea that "everyone should be older" or that there shouldn't be kids is kind of weird, because it suggests that kids are innately sexual, which they really shouldn't be. Kids exist everywhere. They're a state of human life. They shouldn't be weird. Similarly, young people exist and a lot of them play games.

What's bad isn't the presence of kids or young people, it's creators that aren't responsible enough to decide that even if they've decided above pandering to otaku audiences, they shouldn't pander in a way that normalizes real world harmful behaviour.

I think some people dislike the concept of children in Fire Emblem because it is inherently a absurd notion to bring a child to life or death battles like this. I don't agree but I get it.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I will say that the idea that "everyone should be older" or that there shouldn't be kids is kind of weird, because it suggests that kids are innately sexual, which they really shouldn't be. Kids exist everywhere. They're a state of human life. They shouldn't be weird.

What's bad isn't the presence of kids, it's creators that aren't responsible enough to decide that even if they've decided above pandering to otaku audiences, they shouldn't pander in a way that normalizes real world harmful behaviour.
This is all true! But even in a fantasy setting, this is about war, and while I'll accept like, a Rickon-like sorcerer's apprentice… I also don't want to have teenagers fighting battles? And, since this is Fire Emblem, the eventual Dark Dragon God or whoever the big bad turns out being?

I'm sure that someone could make a compelling story about magical warfare that also involved love blooming on the battlefield, and also have minor characters involved in the fray somehow. IntSys ain't it. So, adults across the board please.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Seriously i'm sick of those people not playing fire emblem and thinking we play those games because we are creepy peoples.

Anna is my favourite character in the whole franchise (she's the chocobo of fire emblem) and i don't understand why she's not on smash bros lol.

But stop thinking fire emblem is about dating waifu. I'm so sick of reading this.

I really think there is some kind of conspiracy by some "gamers" who don't like the fact that fire emblem is succesful. There was a french journalist (Ken Bogard) who said "nintendo should ve killed fire emblem ten years ago and used that money for making a new fzero or kid icarus game"

sick of this.
Shouldn't this ire be directed at the devs, not people reading actual dialogue and forming an opinion?

PMA

Alt account / Attempted to circumvent ban with alt
Banned
Sep 13, 2021
User Banned (2 Weeks): Backseat Moderation; Inflammatory Commentary; Account In Junior Phase
Really gross to see resetera allowing "thread mark- more context" as if it excuses it

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Would be interesting to know how the other languages (french, german etc.) handled this. Unless they're not using the japanese script as base but the english one.

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019

Why is the outrage always directed at the people criticizing it rather than the people who actually make the game

Wouldn't it be more productive to actually push back against this seeping into the series, of all things

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Really gross to see resetera allowing "thread mark- more context" as if it excuses it
This is a silly post. No one's "excusing" anything. The thread is about comparing the original text and the localization. The context is literally the original text that someone found and translated.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is stupid. Context doesn't mean an excuse, it's a basic requirement of understanding basically any situation. We shouldn't be demonizing the idea of understanding the thing that we're concerned about.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Idk how the FE games do it but... Ummm... You guys know that cousin marriage is a cultural and religious thing that happens in parts of the world right?
The bint 'amm marriage, or marriage with one's father's brother's daughter (bint al-'amm) is especially common, especially in tribal and traditional Muslim communities.
Cousin marriage, a form of consanguinity (marriages among couples who are related as second cousins or closer), is allowed and often encouraged throughout the Middle East.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
I saw some of the other creeper shit(like waking up from resting and looking at your retainer's crotch right away?) and kind of got turned off this entry.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Idk how the FE games do it but... Ummm... You guys know that cousin marriage is a cultural and religious thing that happens in parts of the world right?
I mean, it's not typical of the series, but one of the more criticized entries was really into the brother sister thing, along with a face petting video game.
Other games have a "why are an option?" among a relatively normal set of romance options. In one game you can romance the person that helped your mom deliver you and well as the God that lives inside you, but we ignore that because the game has a decent amount of good options.

But I definitely miss when the games didn't even bother and everything was preset and it wasn't a romance simulator.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, how I miss the days of when Nintendo's non-mascot games were Wave Race and Eternal Darkness, not shitty Otaku bait.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not typical of the series, but one of the more criticized entries was really into the brother sister thing, along with a face petting video game.
Other games have a "why are an option?" among a relatively normal set of romance options. In one game you can romance the person that helped your mom deliver you and well as the God that lives inside you, but we ignore that because the game has a decent amount of good options.

But I definitely miss when the games didn't even bother and everything was preset and it wasn't a romance simulator.
Brother sister marriage is frowned upon in most cultures and common religions, so I fully get that, but I was just sensing that people here might not be aware that cousin marriage is not only something that happens in Muslim countries here, but it's very much encouraged. Like almost everytime someone is looking to get married the first 3-4 people introduced to them by their family as possible candidates are their different cousins. It's that common and it's 100% a cultural and religious thing.

Judging by some of the posts here, it looked like people were under the impression that the more western view of the relationship between cousins is the norm everywhere, which is why I brought it up in the first place to show that there are other views on this in large communities around the world. Ofc, if people (not talking about you specifically) think their cultural view on the matter should be treated as the absolute correct one, then feel free to ignore my post.

Last edited:

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Brother sister marriage is frowned upon in most cultures and common religions, so I fully get that, but I was just sensing that people here might not be aware that cousin marriage is not only something that happens in in Muslim countries here, but it's very much encouraged. Like almost everytime someone is looking to get married the first 3-4 people introduced to them by their family as possible candidates are their different cousins. It's that common and it's 100% a cultural and religious thing.

Judging by some of the posts here, it looked like people were under the impression that the more western view of relationship between cousins is the norm everywhere, which is why I brought it up in the first place to show that there are other views on this. Ofc, if people (not talking about you specifically) think their cultural view on the matter should be treated as the absolute correct one, then feel free to ignore my post.
I think the point is, your point isn't all that relevant to THIS series, or this thread, like at all. There's nothing to even compare it to. Like there's no "oh, this is what they're going for".

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
As I mentioned in the OT, thank the gods for the localization team. The original script writers should be ashamed of themselves for writing this into the game, though.
Yeah the fact this shit still gets approved in Japan is so fucking disgusting, I know it's a different culture and all that but there's certain boundaries...
Even with the added context it's way too sus imo :/

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think the point is, your point isn't all that relevant to THIS series, or this thread, like at all. There's nothing to even compare it to. Like there's no "oh, this is what they're going for".
That's fair. I said it in my og post that idk how FE does it since I haven't played those games. I just felt that people were under the impression that cousin marriage is some gross thing (from their view) that happens in creepy games/media, which isn't true.

On the actual topic of this thread, I've made my stance pretty clear in my past posts. This shit is super gross and needs to be stopped.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The translation on original panel #3 is not correct. 大切な人 just means important person, not specifically a romantically involved significant other. Kinda hard to really judge without seeing the whole scene.

edit: Didn't see another poster found the whole scene, seems fairly innocuous with the added lines.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, how I miss the days of when Nintendo's non-mascot games were Wave Race and Eternal Darkness, not shitty Otaku bait.

Fire Emblem has been a pillar Nintendo franchise since 1990, it's been otaku bait for a very long time. It just didn't get localised forever because they didn't think it'd sell.

Oct 27, 2017
Battle Network has some crazy dialog.

You gotta see the rap scene from Battle Network 2.
Everytime I see Battle Network I'm reminded that THIS is what I want from Pokemon. In terms of the tone of the story and comedy, in terms of the difficulty. Ugh, such an underrated series

But FE is FAR older than both series...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem has been a pillar Nintendo franchise since 1990, it's been otaku bait for a very long time. It just didn't get localised forever because they didn't think it'd sell.

I think the ways it's intended to appeal to otaku have shifted over the decades. Like yeah, Fire Emblem 4 had romances and kid characters, but very notably the protagonist's romance was set. It wasn't all about appealing to a cavalcade of otaku fanboy fetishes with a candy-colored carousel of fetishbait dateable girls.

This kind of "just blatantly here for the weirdos, anyone else is a bonus" stuff has gotten progressively more egregious ever since the Awakening era started, and ESPECIALLY post-Heroes.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the fact this shit still gets approved in Japan is so fucking disgusting, I know it's a different culture and all that but there's certain boundaries...
Even with the added context it's way too sus imo :/
This thread is racist as shit. Cherry picked screenshots posted without context and mistranslated, to perpetuate the idea that Japan makes creepy games for perverts.

Status
Not open for further replies.