Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Crazy idea but based on how she was ready to throw hands at the bus incident I wonder if Martha was involved in early Garden and retired.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Crazy idea but based on how she was ready to throw hands at the bus incident I wonder if Martha was involved in early Garden and retired.

This would be an interesting angle to out Yor. Have Martha be dragged back into the Garden and she sees Anya's mom there. I'd be curious what crazy things could happen then.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Oh Endo's being sneaky

ec644a46fe83f8561c873d26c2ed27c65b391e89.pnj
d8c09d21b841c58dbe290b486100f10440a890db.pnj

e8ae9c1848902bfe9052df71a35613bd0e3f7aa2.pnj
4dd1f70eed2e4b013a5a45347ae44ae5865d35bc.jpg

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it annoying that the mangaka can write such touching/romantic stuff for the side characters like Henry/Martha but he absolutely refused to do that for the main ship characters? He rather throw more zero progression fillers and gags between Loid and Yor.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Isn't it annoying that the mangaka can write such touching/romantic stuff for the side characters like Henry/Martha but he absolutely refused to do that for the main ship characters? He rather throw more zero progression fillers and gags between Loid and Yor.
Hahaha, tbf Twilight and Yor are a lot more clueless than Henderson and Martha.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Meh, it comes with the territory when you're reading a shounen series

Apr 19, 2018
For some reason, I never knew Martha's last name until now. But I do love the series' insistence on using alliterative names for so many of its characters (Henry Henderson, Fiona Frost, Emile Elman, etc).

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Martha X Henry the best ship?😳

This little flashback arc is nice to flesh out these two characters more. It makes me want to go back and reread all the previous Martha scenes.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I totally missed the last chapter because of Golden Week confusion.

"But in the days that would follow, the thud of boots and the roar of tank engines would drown out the beating of my heart."

I'm not the only one that thinks this line kicks ass right? Awesome chapters. Someday we'll see the same for Loid and Yor. Surely…

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Endou really wanted to write a romance, but could't work on TwiYor because that's material for when the manga is ready to end

I absolutely loved the world building, especially since in this chapter it sounds like this first war is the Unification War (while the second one is the one against Westalis). Of course, seeing how war often forces people to abandon their hopes & dreams in favor of supporting the war efforts... I am definitely can't wait to see how this all plays out.

...that said, I really just miss seeing the Forgers being a family (watching Code White definitely reinforced my longing to see them doing family things together 🥲)

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I absolutely loved the world building, especially since in this chapter it sounds like this first war is the Unification War (while the second one is the one against Westalis). Of course, seeing how war often forces people to abandon their hopes & dreams in favor of supporting the war efforts... I am definitely can't wait to see how this all plays out.

...that said, I really just miss seeing the Forgers being a family (watching Code White definitely reinforced my longing to see them doing family things together 🥲)

Also hoping the next arc has all the Forgers participating. We've pretty much had arcs featuring individual family characters since the cruise ship arc. Though poor Yor hasn't really had much to do since the ship arc anyways.

I'm hoping we start to get some more substantial arcs soon featuring some lasting changes. It's been status quo for a long time now. Let's add some flavor and mix up the formula a bit. Even if it's just small stuff like Anya being separated from Becky or Damian for her next year. Just give us something different.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Man, this arc is going to destroy me. I'm already so depressed reading this chapter.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, not ready for the feels next chapter will bring...

Also I forgot to mention I was able to catch Code White, really enjoyed watching it

Real life pictures in manga make me uncomfortable

I get that but I like to think that it was more along the lines of someone posting an IG story with pictures vs the manga + rl pics. 😅

He did some other fun documentation of the London trip via his tweets while this was something he probably drew up on his iPad when announcing his break. I personally liked that he framed the trip this way.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Does this mean we're getting an arc where the Forgers visit their world's version of London?

It better involve Yor getting to do stuff because hoo boy it has been too long

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I get that but I like to think that it was more along the lines of someone posting an IG story with pictures vs the manga + rl pics. 😅

He did some other fun documentation of the London trip via his tweets while this was something he probably drew up on his iPad when announcing his break. I personally liked that he framed the trip this way.
Yeah, it's cute. I'm just not used to it lol

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Ooo what's the Spy X Family version of London called? Lundun?
Loid's hometown is called Luwen....

But Westalis has always been a mismash of Britain, France & Belgium. While Loid's backstory & heritage pulls from France & Belgium, WISE is very clearly MI6 from Britain, complete with Big Ben & everything. So this research trip makes me think we'll get more stories from the WISE end of things (maybe Sylvia's about to get her backstory)

grand

Oct 25, 2017
So Every country in Spy X Family call something else?
Ehhh. It's more of a hodgepodge of WW2 & Cold War countries. Westalis is a mashup of the Western European countries but with a primary focus on France & Great Britain. And Ostania is very clearly Germany [the capital is literally Berlin(t)] but also pulls in a lot of Eastern Europe & the Soviet Union (due to the Cold War analogies).

The characters' backgrounds are also inspired from certain real world countries even though in-universe they all fall into one of the two countries:
  • Loid is likely French but maybe Belgian. His backstory places him in either but he really likes to name drop French dishes.
  • Yor would be from Southern Germany or Austria but her name also implies she's from Eastern Europe
  • Anya is ??? but in-universe characters likely assume her fictional birth mother was from anime Ireland due to her red hair/green eyes & western father (Loid). She's also likely named after the Irish name/goddess Aine or the Polish name Ania (hence her misspelling of her room's nameplate....). Edit: both would still be pronounced as "Anya" so the author did their research either way
  • Frankie is from Ostania (Germany) but maybe also Jewish? I don't expect the series to ever delve into that powderkeg though (anime Nazis & the holocaust would basically destroy the current narrative)
  • Sylvia (and WISE overall) are obvious MI6 parallels and Big Ben has been shown before. So they're all from Great Britain probably
  • And everyone else in the plot (so far) are German. Because the series takes place in Berlint, which might be the least subtle anime town name ever lol

Last edited:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Westalis President did seem to act very American.

Yeah, makes you wonder that planet earth looks like in this fiction.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
I think the idea of using made up names for the countries is to allow Endo more liberty about how he depicts the world with out having to keeps thing accurate to history of the places while drawing from different inspirations

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
  • Anya is ??? but in-universe characters likely assume her fictional birth mother was from anime Ireland due to her red hair/green eyes & western father (Loid). She's also likely named after the Irish name/goddess Aine or the Polish name Ania (hence her misspelling of her room's nameplate....). Edit: both would still be pronounced as "Anya" so the author did their research either way
Anya is a fairly common name in Germanic countries.