RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Alrighty finshed platnuming the games and it was such a good time. I prefer the games in this order: 3 > 2 > 1. Having the extra characters helped add personality to the levels. I wonder if they'll open the door in Artisan.

Anyhow here's my file:
T751D7Qh.jpg

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god the lizards are so creepy now.
http:///UrZc.png
I don't really like the redesigns for Elora and Hunter either.

Fun fact: You can talk to Bounsa even after he's left.
http:///VrZc.png
88% I think. I'll eventually go back and finish up as much as possible.

The game overall is pretty easy, but yikes did it go insane at the final boss. In concept he's not really hard, it's just a piss poor and poorly designed level and fight (here, let's do some more of that shitty "chase the thief" gameplay before you have to chase the boss, and then you gotta cross a lava-filled hallway by means of retracting platforms, and if you happen to press R3 and put Spyro in FPS mode then fuck you, you die and have to do all that shit all over again).

Honestly, I don't think I'd have half as much fun if I weren't trying to get to 100%. Just getting the bare minimum done is baby easy, and trying to find all the secret areas gives me a better appreciation of the level design. Plus, cleaning out every world soothes my obsessive tendencies.

Also, I've never really been a fan of clickable sticks as inputs. They're slightly too hard for me to press intentionally, and slightly too easy for me to press accidentally.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
platinumed Spyro 2. Overall I think it's an improvement over one in a lot of ways. An actual story, characters that have more than one line. Also levels feel more distinct now that they have various challenges, which for the most part are actually pretty good for a 5th gen game. However this game exposes a lot of the flaws which were probably also in Spyro 1 but were never exposed due to how easy that game was. The biggest being that this game has some pretty fucking spotty level design. A lot of the levels just have a very weird flow to them and some of the placements of the enemies/obstacles feels downright trollish. Another big complaint which I think will apply to the trilogy as a whole are the controls. Spyro's controls are very mediocre, which for a platform isn't acceptable. Swimming, flying, and shooting all feel very bad to control. This could've been alleviated had there been a simple option to invert axis but for some bizarre reason it's absent. Also this game would've been 10x better if Rush was mapped to one of the should buttons. Having to hold down square and then press/hold x during chases was a nightmare.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't think I'd have half as much fun if I weren't trying to get to 100%. Just getting the bare minimum done is baby easy, and trying to find all the secret areas gives me a better appreciation of the level design. Plus, cleaning out every world soothes my obsessive tendencies.

Also, I've never really been a fan of clickable sticks as inputs. They're slightly too hard for me to press intentionally, and slightly too easy for me to press accidentally.

Clickable sticks are meh.

I'll never bother 100%ing these games as I frankly don't think they're particularly good or enjoyable to play. Doing Spyro 2 now, and while it's somewhat better than the first, there's still too much of the annoying bullshit I disliked in the first. I guess I'll finish the three games just for some trophies and then sell the game to get rid of it.

Hell, I generally dislike 3D platformers and vastly prefer 2D ones, and to this day I still hate Mario 64 for how much damage it caused the platforming genre at the time by turning the genre into a mush of butt-ugly 3D graphics, horribly broken camera and poor controls. And having almost every dev snub their nose at 2D platformers over the new 3D hotness.

Last edited:

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, I generally dislike 3D platformers and vastly prefer 2D ones, and to this day I still hate Mario 64 for how much damage it caused the platforming genre at the time by turning the genre into a mush of butt-ugly 3D graphics, horribly broken camera and poor controls.

Why did you play Spyro then? Serious question. You seem very angry at the game, but I feel like with your obvious disdain for 3D platformers, you should've known that Spyro wouldn't be type of experience you'd enjoy.

Oct 27, 2017
Why did you play Spyro then? Serious question. You seem very angry at the game, but I feel like with your obvious disdain for 3D platformers, you should've known that Spyro wouldn't be type of experience you'd enjoy.

Easy trophies, and I was willing to give it a chance after all the praise it got for both PS1 and PS4 (I only played the first one back in the day and found it utterly middling). And I liked the Crash remakes (besides the broken first game), so I had a hankerin' for some platforming while I wait for the final Shovel Knight DLC and a new Sonic mania.

So far Spyro 2 is actually pretty good besides crap like that trolley ride and killing all those green bugs :p

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Picked this up a couple days ago and I'm just as charmed now as I was as a teen back in the 90s. It's so well done. Even better than I hoped for.

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Question: why aren't there any female dragons in the Spyro games (the first three at least)?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Fracture hills is just such a bad level for a myriad of reasons.

It's one of my favorites actually. Cool theme, cool music, and I love the orb quests.

Reading this thread, maybe I'm some kind of talented player at Spyro because none of the stuff people are complaining about with regards to difficult is relatable to me. I played these games so much as a kid that it's rare for everything to not come naturally to me, from charging while glide-hopping, to flying levels, to avoiding any of Gulp's attacks (which btw if you charge jump at the last moment, his homing slams won't hit you).

Nov 4, 2017
I'm loving the game so far, but resent the inability to uninvert the Y-axis in the flying levels. It makes it so frustrating.

Other than that, the game is gorgeous and such a faithful modernisation. I can't wait to get into 2 and 3.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Oh god the lizards are so creepy now.
http:///UrZc.png
I don't really like the redesigns for Elora and Hunter either.

Fun fact: You can talk to Bounsa even after he's left.
http:///VrZc.png

Ewwwwa what is rhat half gremlin creature??

Judt do a lizard or salamander what the fk is that lolll

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Almost 10% have platinumed the first spyro now. That's insanely high. Only took me about 7 hours so it's definitely an easy one.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Platinumed Spyro 3 last night, so I'm all done at 120%/100%/117% or 112% save file completion.

I enjoyed my time on the whole (I haven't played the OG Spyros for a long time), but some bits were still very frustrating. Was never a big fan of the speedways and some of the minigames are just as annoying now as they were back then. I still like Spyro 3 the most, although there were moments I pined for Spyro 1's minigame-free purity, particularly while doing Bentley's whack-a-mole minigame or... any of Hunter's Speedway eggs.

It's a real godsend that Sparx can point to missed treasure with L3 in all games straight away - a major drag in the originals is going back around the whole level to find that one gem you missed, and it's just a massive time save to already know roughly where the missed gems are. That helped my enjoyment immensely.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm playing these for the first time. I really like 1 so far. Trying to go for completion but not letting it bother me too much. I have a question, though. In the Magic hub world there's a locked chest, right? I have the key but it's not opening. Just a glitch or am I missing something?

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Clickable sticks are meh.

I'll never bother 100%ing these games as I frankly don't think they're particularly good or enjoyable to play. Doing Spyro 2 now, and while it's somewhat better than the first, there's still too much of the annoying bullshit I disliked in the first. I guess I'll finish the three games just for some trophies and then sell the game to get rid of it.

Hell, I generally dislike 3D platformers and vastly prefer 2D ones, and to this day I still hate Mario 64 for how much damage it caused the platforming genre at the time by turning the genre into a mush of butt-ugly 3D graphics, horribly broken camera and poor controls. And having almost every dev snub their nose at 2D platformers over the new 3D hotness.

tenor.gif

Like seriously why are you even here? And why take a punch at Mario 64 which is probably one of the most important videogames in history, a game that's still a blueprint for genre.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I was never a big fan of Spyro, but due to the 3 for 2 sale from Saturn I bought it. And now I am in love. Tried to replay them two or three years ago on vita and just didn't enjoy it, not a big fan of collectathons. But this remake is great and I am having a great time so far (World 3 in Spyro 1). Getting 100% Percent in all levels is fun and I may get the Platin trophies in the end.

Are the games announced for switch? May double dip then.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the trilogy, great stuff although some artistic decisions might not have been good.

It is a shame 2 & 3 lacked polish. Fortunately, even for base PS4 I found them very playable, I never found that super bad frame rate I heard about.

Spyro 3 was least polished, but Spyro 2 might have had the worst bug? There is a section where you can accidentally buy again from Moneybags. I didn't try this in fear of losing progress, but I hope you would have got it back as usual after the ending sequence.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Okay, just 100% the second game (Doing one game a week). Better controls it felt like in the second game. The flying mission levels were waaaay better designed and the extra powers were nice. Although one negative was there was alot of bullshit orb challenges in some of the levels, compared to the first game. Didn't like the backtracking in the levels though cos of un obtained powers. Still enjoying it all though.

Will start the third next week

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Working my way steadily through 3 now that i'm more busy and the newness has worn off slightly. I feel like the remake will completely replace the original for me but i'll still probably play the original 2/3 more than i will the 2/3 remakes.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao what a ridiculous hot take and Lmao even more for just playing games for trophies Dem priorities

*Shrugs* I played season 1 of TWD just for the trophies, and watched that movie from the KH 1.5 collection just for trophies (and by watched I mean just started it and slept for a few hours while it racked up trophies).

Easiest way to win the second popcorn crystal challenge?

Edit: Finished the popcorn crystals. Now stuck and continuously dying at the Gulp bossfight -_- Got him down to 1 hit left and then killed myself with a rocket. Goddamn. Did eventually beat him.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, decided to bite. I hope they can fix the frame-pacing soon though. Anyone know if there's a Spyro community out there with direct interactions with the devs?

Don't get your hopes up. I've been tweeting Toys for Bob, Activision, Activision Support, Facebook posting....no response. It's a damn shame to have zero support.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
They changed the traveling loading screen in year of the dragon??? Why

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The camera/charge is kind of unwieldy in spyro 3, havent played 1 and 2 yet so idk how it compares

Also playing on an xb1 and dont usually use that controller so that could be it

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the actual colors for the health in the first game? I get that the firefly change color but I can't figure out the actual order?

y3k

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the actual colors for the health in the first game? I get that the firefly change color but I can't figure out the actual order?

Gold -> Blue -> Green -> Nothing (red on your controller's light). It's the same for all three games, except that in the third one you can win an upgrade that'll give Sparx an extra gold hitpoint.

Oct 31, 2017
The camera/charge is kind of unwieldy in spyro 3, havent played 1 and 2 yet so idk how it compares

Also playing on an xb1 and dont usually use that controller so that could be it

I've only played the first's remake so far, but I'd say that yeah that's probably true of all of the games. The original game's remake is pretty good, but I definitely prefer how the original games feel to play, same as the Crash remakes. Spyro just feels much more smooth and nimble to control in the original games, where as in this one it almost feels like he's guided on a wire or something, especially when gliding. It's really kind of hard to describe.

I experienced a pretty bad glitch that actually pisses me off pretty bad and I'm not sure how it'll fix or if there's a way beyond just totally restarting the save. I'm in the 1st Spyro in Magic Crafters. On Wizard Peak I found 499 out of 500 gems. I am missing one gem and Sparx cannot point to it and I scoured the whole level and couldn't see the thing. So that leads me to think that it either fell off the map or into one of those water pools. Really fucking lame to be honest. I had a problem with a gem before where one was kind of up above the ground, clipping a wall where Sparx couldn't grab it, but I was able to get Spyro to physically hit it to collect it. This new problem is definitely much worse though because I literally cannot find the single gem and Sparx doesn't even know. It's actually kind of hilarious because when you try to ping him to find it, he just kind of spins in a circle and then throws his arms up like "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ idk bro".

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I've only played the first's remake so far, but I'd say that yeah that's probably true of all of the games. The original game's remake is pretty good, but I definitely prefer how the original games feel to play, same as the Crash remakes. Spyro just feels much more smooth and nimble to control in the original games, where as in this one it almost feels like he's guided on a wire or something, especially when gliding. It's really kind of hard to describe.

I experienced a pretty bad glitch that actually pisses me off pretty bad and I'm not sure how it'll fix or if there's a way beyond just totally restarting the save. I'm in the 1st Spyro in Magic Crafters. On Wizard Peak I found 499 out of 500 gems. I am missing one gem and Sparx cannot point to it and I scoured the whole level and couldn't see the thing. So that leads me to think that it either fell off the map or into one of those water pools. Really fucking lame to be honest. I had a problem with a gem before where one was kind of up above the ground, clipping a wall where Sparx couldn't grab it, but I was able to get Spyro to physically hit it to collect it. This new problem is definitely much worse though because I literally cannot find the single gem and Sparx doesn't even know. It's actually kind of hilarious because when you try to ping him to find it, he just kind of spins in a circle and then throws his arms up like "¯\_(ツ)_/¯ idk bro".
My ps1 and ps2 are long gone so unfortunately I can't compare.