Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
...yes, the class is aware of what you said.

Must be a summer school class.

I said there's zero chance it comes to Xbox in Japan on Day 1. Which yeah maybe not zero, I guess, but I kind of doubt it

I probably shouldn't have said 'zero chance,' but yeah I kind of doubt even with this new multiplatform strategy they probably will prioritize Xbox day 1 for a game like DQ, especially in Japan if it releases there first. Like I said before they aren't necessarily going to have day 1 on everything just like not every game is going to release on Switch 2 day 1 due to needing more work because of the fidelity of the product.

I guess acknowledging that Square did multiplat releases before and may not be day 1 on every platform in every region from now one is too controversial

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Can't comment on Granblue but Tales and Yakuza have always been a much lower budget series compared to something like Final Fantasy.

Yakuza especially reuses so many assets to be able to come out nearly annually. That low budget charm is part of why I like the series honestly. Basically prepare yourself for Yagami to somehow be in Hawaii for Judgment 3.
I wasn't saying it used the same amount of money as mainline FF I was just assuming it is categorized as AAA

just like how for example you have games like Rift Apart being AAA but also Ragnarok also being AAA too

although maybe those JRPGs are even less in budget then the former (Rift Apart) but is still under AAA

first time I was told they are AA which is surprising to me at least

Wait till you find out ER didn't have anything close to an AAA budget.
but would ER be considered AAA

idc about budgets being the same, I was talking about what companies deem as AAA and not AAA

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't saying it used the same amount of money as mainline FF I was just assuming it is categorized as AAA

just like how for example you have games like Rift Apart being AAA but also Ragnarok also being AAA too

although maybe those JRPGs are even less in budget then the former (Rift Apart) but is still under AAA

idc about budgets being the same, I was talking about what companies deem as AAA and not AAA
According to Miyazaki they release AA games and reuse a bunch of stuff. People conflate them with AAA because they're popular and good.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

well budgets are how companies categorize what they deem AAA, its just a shortterm for big budget - and yea theres a range there

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that they're likely moving away from making a lot of smaller budget titles, but taking a page from Capcom's book and prioritizing multiplatform releases for all of their major stuff is absolutely the right move and something they should have started doing a decade ago. No more picking and choosing what releases where; just put it all on everything at the same time (or close to the same time).

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
They are indeed paying for it, that's why you're seeing this in their trailer:

1ymt6gqkmaob1.png

That's timed though. Is Rebirth coming to Xbox on 5.29? no. And Remake still hasn't but was supposed to. They're just never putting them out on Xbox, regardless of being paid for perpetuity.

I mean, until now apparently. I guess they are changing their minds.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
That's timed though. Is Rebirth coming to Xbox on 5.29? no. And Remake still hasn't but was supposed to. They're just never putting them out on Xbox, regardless of being paid for perpetuity.

I mean, until now apparently. I guess they are changing their minds.
Exclusivity means you can't even talk about the game going somewhere else until that date, let alone actually releasing it. It also leaves enough of a window for SE or whoever to determine whether or not it will be worth it to port.

Squall93

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
Or that, as I said, Final Fantasy is their biggest historic IP and that this IP in particular, combined with the fact that these 2 releases are likely their biggest titles in history, underperformed and keeps performing worse each time ?
We may have to wait until the end of life of these games. FF16 still has its release on PC and other consoles. The same
for FF7 remake which still has the released on other consoles.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
tbh Squares deal with Sony is mostly timed exclusivity based on past experiences, though i gurantee part 3 of ff7 remake trilogy will be ps5 exlcusive for at least 3 months and once its out on pc.
Yeah I do think part 3 will almost certainly be a timed exclusive, probably for a long time for consoles.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I am laughing because the expectation that Switch 2 will be powerful enough to support the next mainline Final Fantasy is silly. The TDP is just not there on any chip on the market and is still far away. I doubt even FSR/DLSS can make up for it. Just look at the Ally or the Deck for frame of reference where the tech is.

If they make the next FF with the Switch 2 in mind, there's no reason why it won't be. I get FF has been chasing (relatively) bleeding edge for a bit, but if they aren't meeting their sales expectations/losing money they probably are going to scale back. They've ported plenty of stuff to the normal Switch that wasn't originally designed for it too, and Switch 2 will be more powerful. SE is going to want/need Switch 2 money more than the other way around.

Plus, SE has very few games in their roster that they can classify as "major titles being developed for Nintendo platforms" right now. I'll say it again: if they truly want to grow the FF brand, they are going to need to reach as many people as they can. That almost certainly means treating the Switch 2 seriously.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I sure wish this would include having no Epic Game Store exclusivity because i will be annoyed if they pull the same shit for KH4.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
If they make the next FF with the Switch 2 in mind, there's no reason why it won't be. I get FF has been chasing (relatively) bleeding edge for a bit, but if they aren't meeting their sales expectations/losing money they probably are going to scale back. They've ported plenty of stuff to the normal Switch that wasn't originally designed for it too, and Switch 2 will be more powerful. SE is going to want/need Switch 2 money more than the other way around.

Plus, SE has very few games in their roster that they can classify as "major titles being developed for Nintendo platforms" right now. I'll say it again: if they truly want to grow the FF brand, they are going to need to reach as many people as they can. That almost certainly means treating the Switch 2 seriously.
Switch 2 would be a great target for an FFIX remake, too.

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
Sucks it took them so long to figure it out, but I'm glad I'll be able to play my favorite series without waiting 1-2 years and losing most of my hype.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
I think the only thing SE was missing with FF7R was PC launch also. If we think that Sony gave a lot of money to SE for some timed exclusivity, I find it hard to imagine it being less than the amount of money they would have got for releasing on Xbox too.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
If only we know the amounts sony paid to have 16 and 7 remake trilogy exclusives.
If i remember correctly, Sony helped with 16 development no?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
We may have to wait until the end of life of these games. FF16 still has its release on PC and other consoles. The same
for FF7 remake which still has the released on other consoles.

You can compare sales on a timeframe.
FFXV sold 5 million copies on day one.
FFVII Remake sold 3.5 million copies in the first week. It took 4 months to reach 5 million copies.
XVI sold 3 million copies in the first week. We never got an update on sales, after nearly a year.
VII Rebirth never had a PR for sales and reports indicate it's on track to do half of what Remake did, meaning it may not have sold 3 million copies yet.

VII Remake sold 7 million copies after 3 years and a half.
XV sold 7.7 million copies after a year and a half and over 9 million copies in the same timeframe as VII Remake.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I think the only thing SE was missing with FF7R was PC launch also. If we think that Sony gave a lot of money to SE for some timed exclusivity, I find it hard to imagine it being less than the amount of money they would have got for releasing on Xbox too.

I'm really curious how much they got for the exclusivity deals. Honestly, if their financials are really getting hit this hard due to lower sales, that makes me think they got hosed on those deals, and didn't request as much as they deserved, considering how much of an audience they were cutting out.

Either way, I'm happy to see them finally seemingly going broad with multiplatform releases. I really hope, for their sake, they at the very least start releasing on PC day and date on Steam (or across all PC stores). Releasing on Xbox day 1 as well would just put then in an overall great position.

Releasing on Switch 2 would be an interesting one. I think they could do VII Remake. I'm just not sure they could so easily do ports of VII Rebirth and XVI. Porting XVII would be even more of a Stretch. The main issue, is that it sounds like Switch 2's GPU is still going to be PS4-tier, and I'm doubtful its CPU will be all that great considering how power starved it will be in portable mode. The tech feels like it will be nearly 2 years dated by the time it launches.

But if Square can find a way to release on Switch 2, that would be amazing for then.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
You can compare sales on a timeframe.
FFXV sold 5 million copies on day one.
FFVII Remake sold 3.5 million copies in the first week. It took 4 months to reach 5 million copies.
XVI sold 3 million copies in the first week. We never got an update on sales, after nearly a year.
VII Rebirth never had a PR for sales and reports indicate it's on track to do half of what Remake did, meaning it may not have sold 3 million copies yet.

VII Remake sold 7 million copies after 3 years and a half.
XV sold 7.7 million copies after a year and a half and over 9 million copies in the same timeframe as VII Remake.
And you have to place that context alongside other titles.

In Japan, FFXV's opening week sales were the worst the series had ever seen and a month later, it pushed above 1 million.

Had XVI opened its first month with 1M sales in Japan, we'd be looking at well over 4M/ nearly 5M worldwide after less than a year. Not great, but much better. Similar story here with Rebirth, which has only recently gotten over 400k in sales. We might be looking at 3M by now.

Japan's sliding away from Playstation and push toward mobile and Switch has been a huge thorn in SE's side for some time. And you have general industry contraction/monopolization via the Big 5 games.

I don't really know what they do about it other than multi-platform releases.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Come on SE, I want FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXV and FFXVI for Switch 2. If you can make it work that FFXIV MMO gets released for Nintendo, sure why not too. Want those games moreso than the FFVII remakes.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Come on SE, I want FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFXV and FFXVI for Switch 2. If you can make it work that FFXIV MMO gets released for Nintendo, sure why not too. Want those games moreso than the FFVII remakes.

based on rumoured specs .... xvi... yeah no... or get ready for a really bad version of it.

silentq15

Aug 15, 2022

I really would not get my hopes up. It makes way more sense if it's a "where applicable" situation. Switch 2 while an upgrade will probably still not be in the same ballpark as the current consoles and it's releasing possibly 4 years into the Series and PS5. You really just have to look at Capcom for what the playbook is here. They will attempt to get all their games to all platforms including Switch 2 and the ones that require the higher fidelity will be on all the platforms that can support it PlayStation, Xbox, PC.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
based on rumoured specs .... xvi... yeah no... or get ready for a really bad version of it.
Luminous engine is not yet ported to Switch ecosystem which would be the key roadblock, but i think this announcement pretty much say they will be ported that engine over now if there is any future to the engine. Worth noting specialty engines of SE's contempories (Capcom's RE engine and EA's Frostbite have all made it to Switch now and is certainly means a Switch 2 branch of those engines will just build up for future ports)

They specifically called out Nintendo platforms for a reason in the financials, their beggest games don't show up there and it looks like it will be changing

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Feel like XVI on Switch 2 would be a similar situation to The Witcher 3 on Switch 1.

Though i would bet this multiplatform idea is more about new games rather stuff already released. Like XVII being on Switch 2 with a bigger scalability range, assuming it would be also pc day one.

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
I really would not get my hopes up. It makes way more sense if it's a "where applicable" situation. Switch 2 while an upgrade will probably still not be in the same ballpark as the current consoles and it's releasing possibly 4 years into the Series and PS5. You really just have to look at Capcom for what the playbook is here. They will attempt to get all their games to all platforms including Switch 2 and the ones that require the higher fidelity will be on all the platforms that can support it PlayStation, Xbox, PC.

The thing is these franchises hitting this high fidelity are the ones they need most to get to the biggest audiences.

After XVI and Rebirth I can see them scaling down a bit to make them fit on Switch 2. RPGs released day and date have lately been selling more on Switch in Japan.

They've been following what you described as the 'where applicable' strategy and that clearly isn't working. Do you think this announcement is them saying they're going to continue doing what they're already doing?

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Luminous engine is not yet ported to Switch ecosystem which would be the key roadblock, but i think this announcement pretty much say they will be ported that engine over now if there is any future to the engine. Worth noting specialty engines of SE's contempories (Capcom's RE engine and EA's Frostbite have all made it to Switch now and is certainly means a Switch 2 branch of those engines will just build up for future ports)

They specifically called out Nintendo platforms for a reason in the financials, their beggest games don't show up there and it looks like it will be changing

Luminous engine is done for after Forspoken it seems like. XVI uses a modified XIV engine from what I heard.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
And you have to place that context alongside other titles.

In Japan, FFXV's opening week sales were the worst the series had ever seen and a month later, it pushed above 1 million.

Had XVI opened its first month with 1M sales in Japan, we'd be looking at well over 4M/ nearly 5M worldwide after less than a year. Not great, but much better. Similar story here with Rebirth, which has only recently gotten over 400k in sales. We might be looking at 3M by now.

Japan's sliding away from Playstation and push toward mobile and Switch has been a huge thorn in SE's side for some time. And you have general industry contraction/monopolization via the Big 5 games.

I don't really know what they do about it other than multi-platform releases.

I think targeting Switch 2 as a baseline the games should be able to run on and making it simply (well not simply but you get the point) run better on the other platforms at higher res could be a viable strategy and also hold back budget from balooning. Especially for a company with a potentially big Japanese audience.

But I am not a finance/market guy so I dunno how they view that ...

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Good.
(but on the other hand FF7 pt3 is probably gonna take 4 years to come out now)

Chippewa Barr