mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Wait...what exactly makes the main party 'morally grey' if they are knowingly and intentionally bombing innocent people again? In 97 as a kid you didn't really think about it much and while there is an offhand acknowledgment, it isn't something the party spends time on. If anything, in a world where terrorism was front and center in a lot of people's thoughts the past decades it would be monumentally stupid to keep this part as it was and have them casually ignore it. If people are gonna hype up this cast as the most awesomest jrpg characters ever I personally have no problem with them being actually good people at heart and not 'morally grey' mass murderers, thanks

You really didn't think this through.

Avalanche are still terrorists.

Avalanche are now being presented as the ones who didn't cause the wholesale loss of life. It was the Shinra president all along.

Square enix is using the Shinra president actions to casually ignore Avalanche's ethics.

Make no mistake about it. Square Enix will use this scene later on to continue presenting Avalanche members as good guys without judgement.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I knew they would change this part, because we live in a post 9/11 world and having the blood of innocents casually on the hands of some of the most famous videogame characters of all time is a bad look. You can probably assume they intended to disable the reactor by destroying the interior functional bits and not, you know, cause a massive explosion with the power to kill everyone in the nearby towns. Which if you think about it just a bit and don't let nostalgia cloud your eyes, makes a lot more sense for people who are trying to save the world.
My thoughts exactly.

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

Avalanche are now being presented as the ones who didn't cause the wholesale loss of life. It was the Shinra president all along.

Square enix is using the Shinra president actions to casually ignore Avalanche's ethics.

Make no mistake about it. Square Enix will use this scene later on to continue presenting Avalanche members as good guys without judgement.
I'm not saying their actions should be coddled by the narrative. I'm saying keeping things 'morally grey' isn't by itself a worthwhile aspect to the game when the original never acknowledged it beyond a couple lines and the main cast never stops to think about it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wonder if they changed it since by 1997 the world wasn't really as worried about terrorists in their lives. The idea of our heroes being even eco-terrorists seems to have soured things a lot. It doesn't change what they are and what their mission involves, but it does "sanitize" it slightly.

Last edited:

Einhandr

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this was mentioned before or maybe not, I didn't read through all 14 pages but just because we the player see the scene and know it's Shinra, Cloud and Co. don't necessarily know that. Realistically this doesn't change much as far as the characters feelings and reactions about what they had done, it just gives us a little more insight into how devious Shinra is, that they would go to the lengths of killing the very people they serve to further their agenda (which I'm guessing is to place the blame of the deaths on Avalanche and declare them terrorists of Wutai or some such).

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
For everyone that was worried about this "change" altering the fundamental impact of how we may view Avalanche, their motives, and their actions, it sounds like the ramifications and if "ends justify the means" are delved into deeply in the ensuing chapter(s). And we all know they then plan another bombing run thereafter. If anything, with the way the story is presented, it sounds like we may be even MORE conflicted over whether we think Avalanche are heroes or downright villains due to their actions.

(I put "change" in quotes since it is arguable that Shinra implies through dialogue that they did this exact thing in FF7O. Either way, it seems as if the increased emphasis in this game may set up some expanded storylines in this and subsequent games.)

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good video from Soldier First Class which should put this to rest:

Shinra was well aware and happy to oblige Avalanch in their activities. "And such a waste of good fireworks, just to get rid of vermin like you.""

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I hated this change too and was pretty much the only thing that bugged me from the demo. It better not take away from the bite from later conversations like when Reeve confronts Barret about it on the airship late in the game.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny to argue about considering causing thousands(?) of people to lose power is already liable to cost lives.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
People forgetting that the exact same thing was implied in the original when Jesse says that she didn't make the bomb that powerful or something along those lines.

Laguna

Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
People forgetting that the exact same thing was implied in the original when Jesse says that she didn't make the bomb that powerful or something along those lines.
Is not the same. Even if Jesse didn't want the bomb that powerful, she is the responsible of that. In this new one only Shinra is the responsible and the one to blame. Huge difference in front of the eyes of the player and probably Square-Enix will make Shinra to reveal that to the group.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I knew they would change this part, because we live in a post 9/11 world and having the blood of innocents casually on the hands of some of the most famous videogame characters of all time is a bad look. You can probably assume they intended to disable the reactor by destroying the interior functional bits and not, you know, cause a massive explosion with the power to kill everyone in the nearby towns. Which if you think about it just a bit and don't let nostalgia cloud your eyes, makes a lot more sense for people who are trying to save the world.

It's common for lots of freedom fighter movements to justify violence to advance their cause. That's what made AVALANCHE interesting. Not that "they wanted to save the world" which is in every JRPG.

Oct 30, 2017
Is not the same. Even if Jesse didn't want the bomb that powerful, she is the responsible of that. In this new one only Shinra is the responsible and the one to blame. Huge difference in front of the eyes of the player and probably Square-Enix will make Shinra to reveal that to the group.

The point that he makes in the video is that it was implied in the original and what we are seeing now is them expanding on their original idea. The only thing it changes is that you can't skip over the dialogue to catch the subtlety of the implication. Now they're just telling you.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
It's a remake, not a remaster or special edition. It's not supposed to be a carbon copy and frankly it would be boring if it was.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's common for lots of freedom fighter movements to justify violence to advance their cause. That's what made AVALANCHE interesting. Not that "they wanted to save the world" which is in every JRPG.
And a major part of the plot is that they weren't trying to save the world— at least that's not the actual motivation for what they do. Barret started his sect of Avalanche to get revenge on Shinra; saving the planet was just a way for him to justify it. Later he agrees to save the planet for Marlene's sake. Cloud is just in it for the money at first, but then it becomes a personal score to settle with Sephiroth. Tifa's in it because Cloud is the only thing she has left of her pasta dish she also wants revenge on Shinra. The only ones that legit fight for that cause are Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge because they bought into Barret's preaching.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And a major part of the plot is that they weren't trying to save the world— at least that's not the actual motivation for what they do. Barret started his sect of Avalanche to get revenge on Shinra; saving the planet was just a way for him to justify it. Later he agrees to save the planet for Marlene's sake. Cloud is just in it for the money at first, but then it becomes a personal score to settle with Sephiroth. Tifa's in it because Cloud is the only thing she has left of her past. The only ones that legit fight for that cause are Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge because they bought into Barret's preaching.
correct.

until the very end of the game of course. They all decide the planet is worth fighting for, the implication being, 'on it own terms'.

or at least they all found reasons of their own for saving the planet. they made doubly sure they were ready. hence why Tifa and Cloud were alone on the Highwind at the end

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
And a major part of the plot is that they weren't trying to save the world— at least that's not the actual motivation for what they do. Barret started his sect of Avalanche to get revenge on Shinra; saving the planet was just a way for him to justify it. Later he agrees to save the planet for Marlene's sake. Cloud is just in it for the money at first, but then it becomes a personal score to settle with Sephiroth. Tifa's in it because Cloud is the only thing she has left of her past. The only ones that legit fight for that cause are Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge because they bought into Barret's preaching.

Exactly. there are ulterior motives, but that doesn't really change what I said. Avalanche is an interesting concept for a JRPG because they use violence to justify their end goals. Nobody thinks FF7 is interesting because it makes sense for "people who want to save the world" to not be okay with violence...

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It def sucks, just a dumb thing to do. I get reminded of when like movies will take a game property and remake it, and change stuff. Like, if you want to do that just make your own thing, don't mess with an already existing narrative that obviously holds some degree of reverence with a decent amount of people.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
correct.

until the very end of the game of course. They all decide the planet is worth fighting for, the implication being, 'on it own terms'.

or at least they all found reasons of their own for saving the planet. they made doubly sure they were ready. hence why Tifa and Cloud were alone on the Highwind at the end
Well the whole final act is Cloud basically going "saving the planet is bullshit and we all know it. Go spend some time thinking about what you're really fighting for."
But my point is even at the start of the game, Barret, Cloud, and Tifa know they don't really care about the planet. It's a means to an end.

Exactly. there are ulterior motives, but that doesn't really change what I said. Avalanche is an interesting concept for a JRPG because they use violence to justify their end goals. Nobody thinks FF7 is interesting because it makes sense for "people who want to save the world" to not be okay with violence...
I'm just adding that a major part of the reason they're okay with collateral damage is because their real motivations is they want to hurt Shinra more than Shinra hurt them and they don't care how. Saving planet is just an excuse to make them feel justified.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Shinra was well aware and happy to oblige Avalanch in their activities. "And such a waste of good fireworks, just to get rid of vermin like you.""

I hope more people watch this. I agree that these are not retcons at all, the game just does a better job now of showing what really happened instead of only hinting at it in some easy to miss text.

Oct 30, 2017
I hope more people watch this. I agree that these are not retcons at all, the game just does a better job now of showing what really happened instead of only hinting at it in some easy to miss text.

That post bumped the thread, and people continued to carry on with a weeks old conversation while ignoring the video entirely. I also agree with it too.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's great this was all heavily implied in the original game. Jessie even comments on it.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It was always there, it's up to you if you chose to interpret it differently.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember enough about the original story to be bothered by the change. However, strictly from a storytelling perspective, the ambiguity of the original sounds a lot more interesting.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The current approach strikes me as potentially disappointing because it renders the characters unaware of their own innocence while firmly and immediately establishing that they are, in fact, entirely innocent. We get complicated heroes who might've killed or otherwise harmed innocent people and are haunted by their actions but we also know they definitely aren't even a little bit responsible for it.

Even if you read the original script as suggesting that AVALANCHE's bomb was interfered with somehow by Shinra, that doesn't become clear until later in the game. The new version of the scene tells us that it's not AVALANCHE's fault before we even see the bomb go off, and as a result we never have to even consider the possibility that AVALANCHE were responsible for the devastation of the bombing run.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
And a major part of the plot is that they weren't trying to save the world— at least that's not the actual motivation for what they do. Barret started his sect of Avalanche to get revenge on Shinra; saving the planet was just a way for him to justify it. Later he agrees to save the planet for Marlene's sake. Cloud is just in it for the money at first, but then it becomes a personal score to settle with Sephiroth. Tifa's in it because Cloud is the only thing she has left of her pasta dish she also wants revenge on Shinra. The only ones that legit fight for that cause are Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge because they bought into Barret's preaching.
correct.

Heavily disagree with this interpretation, but it is an interesting take and I'll think about it as I replay the game. So far in my replay, Jessie said she didn't intend for the bomb to be that strong, and shows remorse just before the plate falls, but it is also as I remember that only a couple lines really talk about the civilian casualties. Because the reactor explosion and its fallout was never really explored by Barret and company, I have a hard time swallowing the idea that this was an intentional exploration of their grey morality. It really wasn't emphasized at all, unless you want to call a few lines of dialogue by side characters a subtle explanation or something. We can extrapolate the grey morality from critical analysis sure, but it is not a point the game really cares to make strongly as it still upholds the main party as quintessentially good. In light of that, I don't view the clarification that yeah, actually, Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Wedge, Biggs, and Jessie, aren't so heartless as to kill innocents in their bid against Shinra, as a negative. I mean to be frank, even just the idea that we should praise these characters as the heros they are while keeping innocent blood on their hands and go on gallivanting about with the same humor the original had, is repulsive to me on multiple levels. There's a place for the anti-hero, but it's not here. Not unless the game was trying to make a point with it. Which I can confidently say it didn't.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
You do know the change to Han & Greedo happened long before disney bought Star Wars right?

but either way, SE has made it clear long ago they don't care about respecting the original game and that this is something new so 🤷🏿‍♂️

cametall

Oct 27, 2017

That's my concern. Also, if they changed this detail, what other larger story details have been changed? I was hoping for an expanded look at the story of FF7 (since they're splitting the game up), not an altered "what-if" one.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Might I also point out that even in the original the party never sees repercussions for the loss of life, it isn't even brought up after sector 7 falls. And given the context of our real world, the remake was never going to go that route. Not for some of the most famous characters in videogame history. And if it were to actually delve into the idea that none of the good guys are actually good, it wouldn't be to a soundtrack that by all accounts frames the party as good people and encourages the player to not only empathize but sympathize with them.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't played it yet but is it possible they cut the part where the plate falls down? That happens later on if I recall right, and they blame it on Avalanche, so maybe the story has changed so much in the remake that they had to still get this in, they just set it up earlier.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I haven't played it yet but is it possible they cut the part where the plate falls down? That happens later on if I recall right, and they blame it on Avalanche, so maybe the story has changed so much in the remake that they had to still get this in, they just set it up earlier.
In one of the trailers (honestly can't think of the exact one atm) we actually see the destruction after plate fall briefly, so unless they pull a bait and switch we are still getting that event.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018

Max's video regarding this was good too.

People who have actually played more than just the demo are saying it's not a retcon. It's just that it's explained better rather than just implied.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Heavily disagree with this interpretation, but it is an interesting take and I'll think about it as I replay the game. So far in my replay, Jessie said she didn't intend for the bomb to be that strong, and shows remorse just before the plate falls, but it is also as I remember that only a couple lines really talk about the civilian casualties. Because the reactor explosion and its fallout was never really explored by Barret and company, I have a hard time swallowing the idea that this was an intentional exploration of their grey morality. It really wasn't emphasized at all, unless you want to call a few lines of dialogue by side characters a subtle explanation or something. We can extrapolate the grey morality from critical analysis sure, but it is not a point the game really cares to make strongly as it still upholds the main party as quintessentially good. In light of that, I don't view the clarification that yeah, actually, Cloud, Tifa, Barret, Wedge, Biggs, and Jessie, aren't so heartless as to kill innocents in their bid against Shinra, as a negative. I mean to be frank, even just the idea that we should praise these characters as the heros they are while keeping innocent blood on their hands and go on gallivanting about with the same humor the original had, is repulsive to me on multiple levels. There's a place for the anti-hero, but it's not here. Not unless the game was trying to make a point with it. Which I can confidently say it didn't.

Dyne
...Think about it... Barret... How old was Marlene back then...?
Even if I did go to her now... she wouldn't even know me...
And what's more... Barret...
These hands are a little too stained to carry Marlene anymore...

Barret
Dy------ne!!
...Dyne. Me an' you were the same...
My hands ain't any cleaner...... I shouldn't be able to carry... Marlene either...
Uuuurrrrrrgh!!!

--------------------------------------

Cait Sith
Wow!
Hey!
That was a surprise, the controls went crazy.
This ain't good...
Weapon came out of the sea and is heading straight for Midgar.

Cloud
The new weapon should stop him, right?

Cait Sith
I don't know if it's ready or not...

Barret
Hey! What's gonna happen to Marlene!?

Cait Sith
Doncha worry none, Marlene's in a safe place. She's with Aeris' mama.
Barret!!
What was that scratching just now!?
As long as Marlene is safe, who cares what else happens, right?
I been itchin' to say this to ya fer a while now!
When ya blew the Midgar No. 1 up, how many folks d'ya think died?

Barret
...that was for the life of the planet. Ya gotta expect a few casualties.

Cait Sith
A few? Whaddya mean 'a few'? What may be a few to y'all is everythin' to them who died......
Protect the planet. Hah! Y'all sure sound good!
Ain't no one that'd go against ya. So ya think ya can do whatever y'all want?

Barret
I don't wanna hear that from no one in Shinra...

Cait Sith
......nuthin' I can do 'bout that...

Cloud
Stop it!

Tifa
Cait Sith...... Barret, he knows what he did.
What we did in Midgar can't be forgotten no matter what the reason.

She turns to Barret.

Right? We haven't forgotten, right?

She turns back to Cait Sith.

I know you.
You can't quit the company because you're worried about the people in Midgar, right?
......Cloud?

-------------------------

Cloud
No!
What I meant was...
What are we all fighting for? I want us all to understand that.
Save the planet... for the future of the planet... Sure, that's all fine.
But really, is that really how it is?
For me, this is a personal feud.
I want to beat Sephiroth. And settle my past.
Saving the planet just happens to be part of that.
I've been thinking.
I think we all are fighting for ourselves.
For ourselves... and that someone... something... whatever it is, that's important to us.
That's what we're fighting for.
That's why we keep up this battle for the planet.

Barret
You're right...
It sounds cool sayin' it's to save the planet.
But I was the one who blew up that Mako reactor......
Lookin' back on it now, I can see that wasn't the right way to do things.
I made a lot of friends and innocent bystanders suffer...
...At first, it was revenge against Shinra. For attackin' my town.
But now......
Yeah. I'm fightin' for Marlene.
For Marlene... For Marlene's future...
Yeah... I guess I want to save the planet for Marlene's sake...

---------------------

Also, note, that when Reeve calls Barret out for killing innocent lives, he specifically mentions Reactor 1 and not Reactor 5.

Make 👏 a 👏 thread 👏
But this adds nothing. We all already knew about those lines. He leaves out the part where Jessie says she's proud of her bomb and that the next one will be even bigger.

The "explosion was bigger than intended" argument doesn't work with the expanded scene of the remake because they show that the explosion was simply caused by damaging the reactor core enough, which Jessie's bomb would have done if it had worked. The reactor itself exploding was the big explosion; it wasn't the C4.

And later Reeve only calls Avalanche out for Reactor 1.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
At least with this there's the arguable angle of "wait, could a single bomb placed there really have been enough?!" The answer is no. And it was kind of absurd they got that far as it was with how important it is to defend something like that, even if as a JRPG we're usually used to flipping off the odds.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
Its easy to see who actually paid attention while playing FF7 in this thread.

There is no retcon, ShinRa assisting with the bombing was heavily implied multiple times in the original game, as Soldier First Class shows.

The characters are still under the impression they killed innocents, and likely Reeve is as well since I doubt the knowledge of ShinRa causing the explosion was spread outside of those on a need to know basis.

This changes nothing except making it more obvious to the player what is happening, which reading this thread seems like it was a good idea.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

There is no retcon, ShinRa assisting with the bombing was heavily implied multiple times in the original game, as Soldier First Class shows.

The characters are still under the impression they killed innocents, and likely Reeve is as well since I doubt the knowledge of ShinRa causing the explosion was spread outside of those on a need to know basis.

This changes nothing except making it more obvious to the player what is happening, which reading this thread seems like it was a good idea.

Quoted for truth.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Dyne
...Think about it... Barret... How old was Marlene back then...?
Even if I did go to her now... she wouldn't even know me...
And what's more... Barret...
These hands are a little too stained to carry Marlene anymore...

Barret
Dy------ne!!
...Dyne. Me an' you were the same...
My hands ain't any cleaner...... I shouldn't be able to carry... Marlene either...
Uuuurrrrrrgh!!!

--------------------------------------

Cait Sith
Wow!
Hey!
That was a surprise, the controls went crazy.
This ain't good...
Weapon came out of the sea and is heading straight for Midgar.

Cloud
The new weapon should stop him, right?

Cait Sith
I don't know if it's ready or not...

Barret
Hey! What's gonna happen to Marlene!?

Cait Sith
Doncha worry none, Marlene's in a safe place. She's with Aeris' mama.
Barret!!
What was that scratching just now!?
As long as Marlene is safe, who cares what else happens, right?
I been itchin' to say this to ya fer a while now!
When ya blew the Midgar No. 1 up, how many folks d'ya think died?

Barret
...that was for the life of the planet. Ya gotta expect a few casualties.

Cait Sith
A few? Whaddya mean 'a few'? What may be a few to y'all is everythin' to them who died......
Protect the planet. Hah! Y'all sure sound good!
Ain't no one that'd go against ya. So ya think ya can do whatever y'all want?

Barret
I don't wanna hear that from no one in Shinra...

Cait Sith
......nuthin' I can do 'bout that...

Cloud
Stop it!

Tifa
Cait Sith...... Barret, he knows what he did.
What we did in Midgar can't be forgotten no matter what the reason.

She turns to Barret.

Right? We haven't forgotten, right?

She turns back to Cait Sith.

I know you.
You can't quit the company because you're worried about the people in Midgar, right?
......Cloud?

-------------------------

Cloud
No!
What I meant was...
What are we all fighting for? I want us all to understand that.
Save the planet... for the future of the planet... Sure, that's all fine.
But really, is that really how it is?
For me, this is a personal feud.
I want to beat Sephiroth. And settle my past.
Saving the planet just happens to be part of that.
I've been thinking.
I think we all are fighting for ourselves.
For ourselves... and that someone... something... whatever it is, that's important to us.
That's what we're fighting for.
That's why we keep up this battle for the planet.

Barret
You're right...
It sounds cool sayin' it's to save the planet.
But I was the one who blew up that Mako reactor......
Lookin' back on it now, I can see that wasn't the right way to do things.
I made a lot of friends and innocent bystanders suffer...
...At first, it was revenge against Shinra. For attackin' my town.
But now......
Yeah. I'm fightin' for Marlene.
For Marlene... For Marlene's future...
Yeah... I guess I want to save the planet for Marlene's sake...

---------------------

Also, note, that when Reeve calls Barret out for killing innocent lives, he specifically mentions Reactor 1 and not Reactor 5.

But this adds nothing. We all already knew about those lines. He leaves out the part where Jessie says she's proud of her bomb and that the next one will be even bigger.

The "explosion was bigger than intended" argument doesn't work with the expanded scene of the remake because they show that the explosion was simply caused by damaging the reactor core enough, which Jessie's bomb would have done if it had worked. The reactor itself exploding was the big explosion; it wasn't the C4.

And later Reeve only calls Avalanche out for Reactor 1.
That's a good quote, I've forgotten how that scene goes down. I'll be sure to pay more attention to it when I reach that part. But honestly, that just brings up more questions for me, like why did Aerith go along knowing they're mass murderers? The game still doesn't treat them with the severity you would expect a terrorist to be treated with. And my point that they are still treated and framed as the good guys stands. As does my point about our current sociopolitical context and their status as some of the most prominent characters in gaming. Look at how everyone treats the game's main cast. With utmost reverence.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Pretty sure this is implied in the original

Indeed.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

yep for sure. This issue is an outrage for no reason. Lots of posts in this thread even based off 40 mins of a demo jumping to conclusions.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, a new player having this explicitly pointed out to them from the very beginning of the game would detach themselves from the characters and their emotional pain because they know things the characters do not from the very beginning. There would be no revelations to the players, no learning with the characters. The player does not get to think, does not get to imagine, does not get to experience or follow their journey because they know.

I personally don't care about spoilers, I'm about the journey. I'm all new to FF7 and I'm already detached from their emotional baggage.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, a new player having this explicitly pointed out to them from the very beginning of the game would detach themselves from the characters and their emotional pain because they know things the characters do not from the very beginning. There would be no revelations to the players, no learning with the characters. The player does not get to think, does not get to imagine, does not get to experience or follow their journey because they know.

I personally don't care about spoilers, I'm about the journey. I'm all new to FF7 and I'm already detached from their emotional baggage.

This revelation was apparently missed by many throughout the game, its only brought up a handful of times and never pushed down the players throats.
The player was always supposed to be aware of this so getting attached to that emotional baggage in the first place was not supposed to happen.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I couldn't possibly disagree with this more.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You don't see how that's a possibility? The handling of it is very clunky, overly explicit and very black and white on what happened.
you knowing information that the characters don't is a very common device in fiction and it doesn't strip the moment of tension or a viewers capability for empathy at all. if this weren't a remake and this information was presented as is i don't think people would bat an eye and, for the countless people who are going to experience this story for the first time, i don't think this moment is incongruous or poorly handled or detracts from the story of final fantasy vii at all

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

The audience knowing stuff the characters don't is called Dramatic Irony and it often actually strengthens the dramatic attachment to the character's. It can make you feel helpless because they take actions you know are misguided. Or you root for them to discover what you know. Or it puts their actions and emotions in a new light, making you understand them more and feel more for them.

A simple example (which is also a suspense versus suprise example) is this: First scene in a movie: two people have smalltalk at a table.
When will you attach to them the most? When you're shown there is a bomb under the table while they don't, or when you know as much as them and the bomb is suddenly discovered or blows up.