• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I... kind of want Bravely 1/2 HD. Add some new jobs, fix the really horrible repetitive bits, and we have the definitive version of a great set of games.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Thread updated to reflect new quotes from Yosuke Matsuda in MCV magazine. I'll endeavour to keep the info in the first post as current as possible.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
I just want the Bravely series to continue and another remake of Final Fantasy 4.

Anything else is sweet extra.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm skeptical that any Nomura directed title will hit a Nintendo platform. It'd be nice to be proven wrong but so far Nomura is very resistant to making a title on Nintendo systems. No title that has had his involvement has hit a Nintendo platform including remakes and re-releases of titles he originally directed.

Of course he has directed and been involved in titles released on Nintendo platforms.

*edit*
Crap, this is an old thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Square said a Switch version may happen after the original release.

I don't think they necessarily pointed to a Switch version happening, just a vague reference to "other platforms". While KH on Switch would make sense, they haven't hinted very strongly at it yet.

Crap, this is an old thread.

Actually, I'm trying to keep this thread going so when we discuss the subject of Square Enix's Switch support, people have all the info in the OP for full context, instead of just taking each new piece of information on its own and not really understanding the bigger picture.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Just thinking - since there's a possibility FFXIII and company may get ported to Switch, they'd have to compress the heck out of the game/s to get it to fit onto a 16GB cart or make you download, for example, gigs of FMV. I remember the 360 version of XIII required three DVDs and that had compressed video. No way we're getting cheap 32GB carts until late next year.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Opening post updated with a new quote, this time from the Telegraph in the UK. Here's the quote from Yosuke Matsuda, once again mentioning the revival of old IP (both remasters and sequels to old IP) on Switch:

Where do you think the balance of using existing IPs and creating new IPs stands in the future of Square Enix?

Yosuke Matsuda: "We really want to do both of those in equal balance. Obviously we're going to continue making new games, and for the older IPs as well, not just the remake/remasters we've been doing, we want to create sequels and new games in those series as well.

"Certainly the Switch, as well, because it has sold so well and is doing really well at the moment, there's a number of previous game IPs that we've got that we didn't make continuations of those series sequels for in the past, and I think maybe looking into doing some of those kinds of sequels to older IPs on the Switch in the future is something we'd like to look at."​

Personally, I would love to see SaGa explored further. Valkyrie Profile would be more than welcome, too, although I'm not certain if Tri-Ace has the chops for that any more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
First post updated with new interview quotes from Edge. Game list updated as well.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Opening post updated with a new quote, this time from the Telegraph in the UK. Here's the quote from Yosuke Matsuda, once again mentioning the revival of old IP (both remasters and sequels to old IP) on Switch:

Where do you think the balance of using existing IPs and creating new IPs stands in the future of Square Enix?

Yosuke Matsuda: "We really want to do both of those in equal balance. Obviously we're going to continue making new games, and for the older IPs as well, not just the remake/remasters we've been doing, we want to create sequels and new games in those series as well.

"Certainly the Switch, as well, because it has sold so well and is doing really well at the moment, there's a number of previous game IPs that we've got that we didn't make continuations of those series sequels for in the past, and I think maybe looking into doing some of those kinds of sequels to older IPs on the Switch in the future is something we'd like to look at."​

Personally, I would love to see SaGa explored further. Valkyrie Profile would be more than welcome, too, although I'm not certain if Tri-Ace has the chops for that any more.

Omg Chrono Cross 2.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
First post updated with new interview quotes from Edge. Game list updated as well.
Looking at it by division at the moment:

Business Division 1
-nothing yet

Business Division 2
-nothing yet
-looked into FFXV port but deemed not possible

Business Division 3
-The World Ends with You- Final Remix (2018) likely with h.a.n.d.

Business Division 4
-nothing yet

Business Division 5
-Dragon Quest Builders (2018)
-Dragon Quest Builders 2 (TBA)
-mentions possible FFXIV port every several months

Business Division 6
-Dragon Quest Heroes I & II (2017) with Omega Force
-Dragon Quest X Online (2017)
-Project Octopath Traveler (2018) with Acquire
-Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (TBA) with Orca
-Platinum Games expressed interest in porting Nier: Automata (2017)
-Likely ports of digital DQI/||/III (2017) with Beetribe

Business Division 7
-nothing yet
-produces mainly arcade games

Business Division 8
-Seiken Densetsu Collection (2017) with M2
-Romancing SaGa 2 (2017) with Arte Piazza
-interested in porting Secret of Mana (2018) with Q Studios
-teased "top secret project" from Takashi Tokita

Business Division 9
-nothing yet
-develops and produces mainly mobile service games

Business Division 10
-nothing yet
-produces mainly browser and mobile service games

Extreme Edges team
-Spelunker Party! (2017) with Tozai Games and O-Two
-mainly localizes Square Enix Europe games

Tokyo RPG Factory
-I am Setsuna (2017)
-Lost Sphear (2017)

Studio Istolia
-nothing yet

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Switch is in such a weird state where most developers where incredible (And with reason) skeptical the switch will take off as it did. Now the have to rush to port some games or add another sku to their schedules... But since, PS5 and Xbox2 are coming in the next year or so, they have to plan and start working on those games as well...
At the end of the day, the companies that specialized on porting games are the big winners.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Does the "Extreme Edges" branding still exist? I thought they did away with that a while ago, but I haven't been paying attention to their West-in-Japan initiatives.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you expect nothing, then there will be no disappointment.

Still highly skeptical of such words until the actually support shows up.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Does the "Extreme Edges" branding still exist? I thought they did away with that a while ago, but I haven't been paying attention to their West-in-Japan initiatives.
It's still used and was in the Spelunker Party Steam/Switch credits. It's basically SE Japan's localization team but they also produce games occasionally like SE's Spelunker titles.

Speaking of which, I'm curious if all this SE interest in Switch will end up extending to their EU dev groups? Maybe some Tomb Raider ports or something?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still used and was in the Spelunker Party Steam/Switch credits. It's basically SE Japan's localization team but they also produce games occasionally like SE's Spelunker titles.

Speaking of which, I'm curious if all this SE interest in Switch will end up extending to their EU dev groups? Maybe some Tomb Raider ports or something?
there was an insider here who said there was a series that hasnt appeared on Nintendo systems coming, but changed his tune (about it not appearing on Nintendo systems) when Tomb Raider was brought up

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017

Mm, I see. Thanks for the info. I didn't know what they were up to now. Last I remember, Extreme Edges was the branch responsible for the localization/publishing of the Call of Duty games and other similar Western-produced titles in Japan.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
there was an insider here who said there was a series that hasnt appeared on Nintendo systems coming, but changed his tune (about it not appearing on Nintendo systems) when Tomb Raider was brought up
Sounds like we're getting some Nixxes ports then. I wonder if they'll go back do 2013 and Rise or just start fresh with Shadows?

Mm, I see. Thanks for the info. I didn't know what they were up to now. Last I remember, Extreme Edges was the branch responsible for the localization/publishing of the Call of Duty games and other similar Western-produced titles in Japan.
Yes, I should clarify by localization I mean America/Europe to Japan. I've also seen the group called Square Enix Japan West before and they seem to operate outside the Business Divisions.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Square.... Just please give the Switch some final fantasy love.

There's so much you can put on there. I don't even care about 15(but it would be cool if it happened). Just port over the steam versions of FF 3 and 4. Remake or port 6 over. Maybe even give use the Steam version of 7 and 9. Please. Just give us something. I really want to take an HD final fantasy game on the go. I really just want 6 though. At least give us that.

Bonus points as well if you guys make a new tactics game, or a new Crystal Chronicles.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I think that if TWEWY Final Remix does well, that franchise might finally find a true home on the Switch, let's hope it nets us a sequel.
Pretty sure SE will start a spinoff FF series on the Switch as well (and by pretty sure, I mean that I hope it happens)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Can I just have FF12 TZA on Switch please, thanks.
I hope this happens. I'm a subscriber to the Sony Exclusive conspiracy theory for VII-X but XII probably fell outside that as it was produced mostly after Enix took over.

XII TZA and XIV ports make the most sense to me. We'll see I-VI on what retro service or VC Nintendo does probably. Maybe XIII trilogy too if that happens on all 3 consoles.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, we're not sure if it was Tomb Raider or DEUS Ex. Both were brought up before he changed his tune.

Did they say it was a western game?

It would be easy to assume neither Valkyrie Profile or Star Ocean have appeared on Nintendo systems, but they both have.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Did they say it was a western game?

It would be easy to assume neither Valkyrie Profile or Star Ocean have appeared on Nintendo systems, but they both have.
They said they looked up the game in question after seeing it mentioned that the game he was thinking of did indeed have a Nintendo version and saw that it was indeed on a Nintendo system. At that point, I don't think Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile had been mentioned yet. Only other candidate were FF and KH iirc (and both are very unlikely for the mistake)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, we're not sure if it was Tomb Raider or DEUS Ex. Both were brought up before he changed his tune.
MD would be a weird choice, given how SE cut their losses on that game. coming back to it for a port wouldnt do anything for it. Tomb Raider, at least, has a good reason since there's a new game coming soon

I sure as hell wouldnt call those easy as they're both effectively dead

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
MD would be a weird choice, given how SE cut their losses on that game. coming back to it for a port wouldnt do anything for it. Tomb Raider, at least, has a good reason since there's a new game coming soon

Agree, would much prefer Tomb Raider over Deus Ex myself, and it seems like the more logical choice between the two.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They said they looked up the game in question after seeing it mentioned that the game he was thinking of did indeed have a Nintendo version and saw that it was indeed on a Nintendo system. At that point, I don't think Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile had been mentioned yet. Only other candidate were FF and KH iirc (and both are very unlikely for the mistake)

Ahh right.

I meant in the sense that Star Ocean appeared on SNES and GBC and Valkyrie Profile on DS but someone unfamiliar with them could assume they've never had Nintendo releases. Those were just two examples of the top of my head.

Star Ocean 5 only came out two years ago so it wouldn't be the latest port they've ever done(and SE just released a port of a 2016 game), but I think Sony had an exclusivity deal on it.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy tactics is a Square franchise that has traditionally done well portable so I hope we get some of that. Square has really committed to the Switch so I wouldn't be surprised if we do get something along those lines eventually but new IP like Octopath is also important.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF6:Re
FF5:Re
The World Ends With You Too
Bravery Default 1+2 HD collection
Bravery Default 3
Lightning Collection: FF13
Chrono Trigger Remake (But in Dragon Quest 11 Graphics)
All Dragon Quest DS/3DS games ported to Switch

I can think of more but that's more or less what I want.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy tactics is a Square franchise that has traditionally done well portable so I hope we get some of that. Square has really committed to the Switch so I wouldn't be surprised if we do get something along those lines eventually but new IP like Octopath is also important.

I almost feel like this is a no-brainer. If they created this with the Switch and mind and made it multiplatform, it would be easy money for Square.

As much as I like Ivalice as the "world" of the FFT games, it would be interesting to see how a different team within Square could take it's gameplay and adapt it to a different setting/lore.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is an ongoing effort to keep track of Square Enix's strategy with the Nintendo Switch, and to trace how it fits into their overall company goals, so I've updated it in light of today's news.

Earlier today, Game Informer posted part of an interview with Bravely / Octopath Traveler producer, Tomoya Asano, who shared some further insight into Square's Switch strategy, following all the comments from company president Yosuke Matsuda. (These are in the OP)

For context, Team Asano was promoted a few months ago, and is now Square Enix Business Division 11. This division is focused on Nintendo Switch development, and Asano mentions Square wanting to develop original titles for Switch.

Asano: "Square Enix has decided that it wants to focus on original titles for the Switch. "If Octopath Traveler does well and this is something that appeals to fans, we want to focus on Switch. Please pick up the Switch if you want to play games like Octopath Traveler."

Upon being asked if Square Enix are working on other Switch games, Asano states:

Asano: "There are several other titles that we're currently working on for Switch. If you could just wait a bit longer, we'll work with Nintendo and announce them in the future."

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gimmie a final fantasy crystal Chronicles reboot with online play square

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Asano: "Square Enix has decided that it wants to focus on original titles for the Switch. "If Octopath Traveler does well and this is something that appeals to fans, we want to focus on Switch. Please pick up the Switch if you want to play games like Octopath Traveler."

I really hate this ransom bullshit.

It's been said so much to Nintendo owners and it's never a guarantee of future support, just a bad marketing line. When I was younger I used to spend money on games I didn't even want when publishers said things like this and then, even if the game sold well, the support didn't come. Either because it didn't reach the the pubs astronomical sales projections or because the publisher didn't feel like putting the work in. Essentially it means nothing. If Square wants their games on Switch, they'll publish for it. If not, nothing you or I can do will change that.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate this ransom bullshit.

It's been said so much to Nintendo owners and it's never a guarantee of future support, just a bad marketing line. When I was younger I used to spend money on games I didn't even want when publishers said things like this and then, even if the game sold well, the support didn't come. Either because it didn't reach the the pubs astronomical sales projections or because the publisher didn't feel like putting the work in. Essentially it means nothing. If Square wants their games on Switch, they'll publish for it. If not, nothing you or I can do will change that.

There's no ransom. They've been working for years on that game and are simply taking the occasion of this interview to promote it. In this same interview they're already saying they plan to release more games on the system.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
There's no ransom. They've been working for years on that game and are simply taking the occasion of this interview to promote it. In this same interview they're already saying they plan to release more games on the system.
I understand that this game has been worked on for years, and I'm excited for it, but it doesn't make the line and the mentality any less dumb. It's cool that they're planning more games for Switch, whatever that could mean, but it also doesn't make the line any less dumb.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
e3 is around the corner square, don't shits on switch users. the delay of dqxi already hurt me

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that this game has been worked on for years, and I'm excited for it, but it doesn't make the line and the mentality any less dumb. It's cool that they're planning more games for Switch, whatever that could mean, but it also doesn't make the line any less dumb.

I mean, it's not dumb in their perspective. They're a relatively recent division, that just got its own section, and that are starting to tackle ambitious projects on their own. This game selling great would certainly allow them to more easily greenlight their projects to the director board of Square Enix.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I mean, it's not dumb in their perspective. They're a relatively recent division, that just got its own section, and that are starting to tackle ambitious projects on their own. This game selling great would certainly allow them to more easily greenlight their projects to the director board of Square Enix.
Wow ok I just reread the quote and I'm an idiot. He said "Please pick up the Switch if you'd like to play games like Octopath Traveler." not "Please pick up Octopath Traveler if you'd like more games on the Switch."

This is what I get for getting on ERA while sick... Sorry about that.

Oct 27, 2017
Asano said they have several other titles in development. I'd be willing to be one of them is Bravely Third. I beat the first game, own the second, but haven't started it yet. Does the second game tease a sequel like the first one did?