• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Kinda feel like this is the kind of thing folks have poorly argued in online debates about the importance of "x console does/doesn't sell well in Japan" sentiments.

I honestly have zero guesses as to what the game industry will look like in 10 years, 20, etc. but I hope that games coming out of Japan don't pander or water down for international tastes. I'm sure there's plenty of ways to navigate these waters but I'm not qualified to make any suggestions.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it necessarily means changing their games from being "Japanese" in style since with Anime, etc... entertainment has started to mesh together in terms of what people consume globally.

Rather it is trying to get said I.Ps bigger for said global market where the real growth is.

For example even Tales of Arise did will globally.

Yeah I don't think people have to worry about a repeat of the 360/PS3 era here, this seems more like an acknowledgment that the global gaming market has grown and is far more diverse than it was even 10-15 years ago. Stuff like Yakuza and Nier and Persona and Xenoblade are breaking out in the West without needing to change all the characters to buff, bald space marines.

Sep 6, 2022
Isn't this the reason every Japanese publisher is pursuing the global audience now?
They realized how much more money is to be made overseas, so they are finally shifting out of this awful "Japan first, rest of world later" mentality with regards to game releases.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that seems pretty obvious considering how little most non-Nintendo FP games sell at retail in Japan nowadays. FFXVI would be a catastrophic loss for the company if they were solely focused on Japanese sales figures.

As long as their games maintain a core standard of quality and don't wear themselves thin chasing trends that will be out of style before a project can actually finish, I think it's perfectly understandable for Square to want to ensure they can turn a profit worldwide.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
No

JP investors finally getting with reality it never made any sense how JP focused they been for so long when a majority of profits came from out of country. That said dont go and do a early ps3 gen capcom and try to emulate Western stuff poorly, just keep doing your own stuff but take into account the larger world your product is reaching.
Absolutely this.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
it's interesting to see how much things have shifted in the console space.

Back in the day, it was common for there to be Japanese-only titles that never left the country (even from some of the bigger developers there). That idea is far less-common now and really only applies to Switch-oriented content that is very Japanese-focused (Such as some Konami fare on Switch).

Now, if you want Japan to be able to be profitable on a title alone. You more or less need to make it with Switch as part of the discussion (and even that isn't always a bonafide assurance of profit) or have a very modest budget in mind.

-----------

I don't think that's either good or bad but it does really highlight how much development has changed in the non-indie space for the majority of devs. There's far less "We're just gonna make something and see what happens, if it's popular in Japan we'll consider a worldwide release"

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Not surprised their AAA games aren't on the platform that is dominating Japan and software sales (in Japan) on PlayStation has cratered. Surprised they're still so keen on exclusivity deals, especially on PC, instead of growing their audience, but this argument has been rehashed many times before.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It will definitely be interesting seeing where this goes in the years ahead.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
"recoup development investment and generate a profit"

I think we know how SE has approached such a predicament and by this i mean to get paid and provide shotty PC ports. Yeah i'm bitter, sue me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised their AAA games aren't on the platform that is dominating Japan and software sales (in Japan) on PlayStation has cratered. Surprised they're still so keen on exclusivity deals, especially on PC, instead of growing their audience, but this argument has been rehashed many times before.

Even pivoting to the Switch wouldn't help them. That's the problem. They might get more sales in Japan but it won't be enough to keep the company afloat overall. They need successes on Switch and on other platforms so that they can make money worldwide. That's the whole point of this - they need to widen their scope and not laser-focus on one market.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Even pivoting to the Switch wouldn't help them. That's the problem. They might get more sales in Japan but it won't be enough to keep the company afloat overall. They need successes on Switch and on other platforms so that they can make money worldwide. That's the whole point of this - they need to widen their scope and not laser-focus on one market.
Yeah more about just exporting all their games worldwide vs just japan only games.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Well, if your AAA games skip the market leader in Japan the possibility to recoup costs there would be... well, none. We have seen every week how badly PS5 games sell and how the PS4 market keeps contracting in Japan.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Their western IPs sold like shit compared to their Japanese IPs.

They need to go full focus on releasing their Japanese IPs more often and not block releases like what happened with DQX Offline.

Right. People don't seem to understand what they're saying here. They aren't saying "we need to make Western games", they're saying "we need to make really good games that appeal to everyone instead of tripling down on a constantly-contracting Japanese retail console market".

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I didn't prescribe them to pivot to Switch. I just said I'm not surprised at this outcome given those factors. The part I did prescribe was that they are extremely risk adverse and focus on exclusivity deals instead of trying to grow their audience on other platforms that they need if they're going to focus on the global market.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's been a while since Square created something that's solely for Japanese audience. Hell, now they're having external western studios to handle legacy IP's, like Forever with Front Mission series.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
It is true I mean not many games sell well in Japan other than Nintendo first party games. It's crazy all these series are in decline in Japan but are selling exceptionally well in the rest of the world.

Bengraven