• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I thought they're just licensing the tech these days (which is pretty good).

Unless they haven't found anyone to license it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they have a long future ahead of them in the B2B space.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Gotta screenshot this tweet for future use (assuming they'll delete it)

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I remember playing an mmo once where the community lead said they won't be laid off. They were laid off the next day. This is just the social media person running a script.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
This post reminded me that Stadia exists. Does Phil Harrison still have a high paying job nowadays?

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering, there was an alleged leak today saying they plan to shut it down by end of summer.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
*Bookmark this for later*
Gotta screenshot this tweet for future use (assuming they'll delete it)
I remember playing an mmo once where the community lead said they won't be laid off. They were laid off the next day. This is just the social media person running a script.
So we'd rather believe "a friend of mine" rumors over the social media account for the product in question? Era users have this much of a hate boner over it?

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
So we'd rather believe "a friend of mine" rumors over the social media account for the product in question? Era users have this much of a hate boner over it?
It's because Google has a history of cancelling stuff that didn't work out in their eyes and it's very obvious that Stadia didn't work out in their eyes?

like Stadia eventually shutting down is a matter of when it happens at this point

Jul 12, 2022
I think it's more that there's fairly eroded good will with social media. People lie so much and so often the claims are pointless.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
When you have to say you're not shutting down, it's because you are shutting down

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The rumor was literally generated by some random person on Facebook messaging a twitter account that exists purely to attract attention to itself surrounding google products.

People really just want things to die and will completely ignore how poorly fabricated rumors are about things.

Web sites reporting on that rumor are all complete hacks. GameRant I'm looking at you.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My "we are not shutting down" tweet is raising a lot of yada yada yada.

At the very least, we shouldn't trust that a social media account would ever say anything but "we're not shutting down".

They're the bottom rung, have no knowledge of the actual plans at the top (which can change at any moment), and it's specifically their job to promote the company.

I certainly don't trust "my friend said it's shutting down" either, but let's not act like a social media account responding "we're not shutting down" is at all sound evidence.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They have sized down quite a bit, i think they can keep going for a while, don't see them killing it anytime soon.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
My "we are not shutting down" tweet is raising a lot of yada yada yada.

I certainly don't trust "my friend said it's shutting down" either, but let's not act like a social media account responding "we're not shutting down" is at all sound evidence.

The only reason this thread exists and that tweet was made is because some shitposting account posted a trolls rumor.

Like come on, lol

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Unity laid off workers weeks after telling them there were no plans for layoffs.

So it shouldn't be surprising to see users not wanting to believe what Stadia has to say.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
My "Stadia is not shutting down" shirt has people asking me questions already answered by my shirt

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Stadia: We are not Shutting Down... But you probably wouldn´t have noticed if we did.

It is hard to believe how much things have slowed down with its brief run so far

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The only reason this thread exists and that tweet was made is because some shitposting account posted a trolls rumor.

Like come on, lol

Oh, don't get me wrong, the inciting incident is probably bullshit, I agree there.

I just don't think anyone should be assured that Stadia (or any other product/service/company, for that matter) is fine because their social media account said so.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean

Doesn't it already say a lot that so many people took the initial rumor at face value? Google has such a long and storied track record of saying they're in for the long haul, denying rumors of service shutdowns, and then shutting the service down months later.

The rumor could very well be bullshit but also Google did this to themselves.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
We are committed to the future of this product
Simply its future ends at the end of summer

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Man, when it has to be said that's just depressing… that being said, I feel like it's really not long for the world.

Pretty much none of the games announced at the Summer Games Fest or any other big gaming events this summer are announced as coming to Stadia, same with most games announced in the last few years. No games means no growth which means limited lifetime

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Do you think if someone tweeted to SEGA if they were shutting Dreamcast before it died, SEGA would have said yes 🤔

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
It's because Google has a history of cancelling stuff that didn't work out in their eyes and it's very obvious that Stadia didn't work out in their eyes?

like Stadia eventually shutting down is a matter of when it happens at this point
EVERYONE has a history of cancelling stuff "that didn't work out in their eyes". You could barely make a more generic business 101 statement and somehow ascribe it as if only one business does this.

Half the stuff that Google gets accused of "killing" lasted longer than the typical console does.

Status
Not open for further replies.