• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely wouldn't be opposed to that but I feel there are a few hurdles that would stop something like that from easily happening.

While Stadia is running on Linux it's running on a kernal Google customized themselves and we really don't know how customized it is. I don't think you can take a a Linux version and directly throw it on Stadia, I believe there has to be some porting work done due to whatever customizations Google might have done. Remember, other services are basically running native PC versions (GFN and Luna), Xbox versions (for xCloud), or PS3/4 versions (for PS Now). Stadia is the only one that's running a port of the game that's specifically developed for a Cloud native platform.

Cloud games are still new and the licensing I feel is still something developers are still trying to figure out. Any sort of "buy this game and get a Cloud version free" would have to be dealt with on a publisher by publisher basis. Remember when GFN started charging? Many publishers immediately pulled their games from the service. It got so bad that GFN made it to where publishers would have to opt in specifically to have their games available on GFN...and GFN is doing nothing more but running the PC version.
Yea GeForce now used to be good until everyone started pulling games from it

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Yea GeForce now used to be good until everyone started pulling games from it
Yeah, it's crazy (I'm still subscribed and use the service though). It's still happening too. They had GoW on the service which I thought was awesome and opened up the door for other Sony games but then like a month later they announced that it was getting pulled from the service.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Personally i don't understand the hate that Stadia gets - i understand the skeptism based on Google's history regarding them shutting down other side buisnesses, however many here and elsewhere just seem to want this service to die. I know it had a rocky launch and did not have the buisness model that others had hoped for (a gamepass like streaming service) but i do think Stadia shows that this is potentially one of the ways to have gaming become more and more accessible by reducing the initial barriers to entry - ie: dropping $500 on a console or a couple of $1000 on a gaming PC.

I have not even used Stadia so i don't feel any love for it, however it also has done nothing to offend - i hope google personally invests more and sticks out for the long term for those that are invested.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Personally i don't understand the hate that Stadia gets - i understand the skeptism based on Google's history regarding them shutting down other side buisnesses, however many here and elsewhere just seem to want this service to die.
You should have seen the PCGaming Reddit where people basically blindly believed the original rumor from a random Facebook troll named Donny Jepp. There are a ton of replies (it got like over 8k upvotes) where people said they were physically happy this was happening. I mean how messed up is it that you are physically happy that a service you don't even care about is shutting down?

gabyb

Jun 23, 2021
Waiting for it to appear on the google graveyard [0] and the cementary [1].

Google is pretty famous on the tech community for killing their products, even the ones that are growing if they are not scaling fast enough. The average lifetime is 4 years [2]. How old is stadia now?

Idk I was pretty excited for Stadia at the beginning but games have to be adapted to work on it IIRC. Something like nvidia geforce is a lot more easy to work with for studios because it's windows at the base level, or even something like the steam deck that has arch linux at base but already did a lot of work on the ecosystem. And Google already have a history of shutting down products, what will happen when they inevitably shut it down? Do you lose access to the games forever?

I want more competition in the space, but they don't have something that sets them apart or my trust that they will last long enough.

[0] https://gcemetery.co/
[1] https://killedbygoogle.com/
[2] https://gcemetery.co/google-product-lifespan/

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Waiting for it to appear on the google graveyard [0] and the cementary [1].

Google is pretty famous on the tech community for killing their products, even the ones that are growing if they are not scaling fast enough. The average lifetime is 4 years [2]. How old is stadia now?
It'll be 3 years old in a few months. They're actually expanding Stadia to Mexico (and possibly even more countries in Latin America) by the end of the year though.

gabyb

Jun 23, 2021
It'll be 3 years old in a few months. They're actually expanding Stadia to Mexico (and possibly even more countries in Latin America) by the end of the year though.

I didn't know that, the Latin American country where I live has both Geforce Now and Xbox Cloud, but surprisingly I don't know anyone who regularly uses any of them, and systems are expensive here. Everyone I know here either games using a PC with gamepass and regional prices on steam, or a playstation with the subscription service + physical games (they end up being cheaper because you can resell them). A lot of people also play F2P on mobile (like Genshin or Hearthstone), but that is an audience that doesn't normally spend money on games.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
The reason it's not taking anything away from the big three is because Stadia isn't performing well. Google owned several dev studio's who were working on Stadia exclusive titles. As someone who has shitty internet all those titles would have been unavailable to me. Stadia being successful means erecting more barriers to entry.

There are enough barriers already without cloud exclusives, it's depressing af that I might not get to play Kojima's Xbox title because of my shitty internet. I don't hate having the option of cloud gaming, I hate the prospect of cloud exclusivity.

What might be a higher barrier of access for you because you don't have good enough internet, can be a lower barrier of access for someone else. I still can't understand how people just jump over the fact that on Stadia there is no console or gaming PC you need to buy, just the price of the game. You also get unlimited play time on the free to play games without paying anything. The good thing is that every year internet access is expanding and overall the quality of the service is getting better as well.

In the case of the Kojima game, he is trying to make a game that cannot be done on local hardware. That would be like someone complaining about a developer wanting to create an exclusive game for next gen consoles, because they don't have the money to buy them, so that developer should continue to release their games on last gen consoles and not take full advantage of the new ones.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020
*Glances at the unopened Stadia box sitting under his Atari.*

"Oh be quiet, I'm not opening you regardless of what they say."

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
What might be a higher barrier of access for you because you don't have good enough internet, can be a lower barrier of access for someone else. I still can't understand how people just jump over the fact that on Stadia there is no console or gaming PC you need to buy, just the price of the game. You also get unlimited play time on the free to play games without paying anything. The good thing is that every year internet access is expanding and overall the quality of the service is getting better as well.
Which is why I have 0 problems with cloud gaming as an option. Options are always good, I never said otherwise, Stadia also doesn't replace consoles for me. I won't be getting Sony or Xbox or Nintendo titles there so I'll still need to invest in a console/PC, it's an additional cost. Regarding the second part of what you've written it's not that I can't get good internet, it's that I can't afford it atm. I have a limited amount of spending money at the end of the month and an internet bill isn't like Gamepass where I can cancel after a month or two, it's at least a year or two long financial commitment. A financial commitment I don't need.
In the case of the Kojima game, he is trying to make a game that cannot be done on local hardware. That would be like someone complaining about a developer wanting to create an exclusive game for next gen consoles, because they don't have the money to buy them, so that developer should continue to release their games on last gen consoles and not take full advantage of the new ones.
I don't begrudge Kojima for wanting to do it, I just wish he wasn't because that title is inaccessible to me and that's probably not going to change for the forseeable future. You could argue that's a selfish pov but it is what it is. In regards to the console argument: That's my point, cloud streaming is an addditional barrier to a medium which is already full of barriers. I have to save up for years to get consoles/PC upgrades, adding extra costs to that is not something I'm interested in so I won't shed any tears if cloud gaming doesn't take off.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
As the user of Google Play Music, Google Trip, Inbox, Google Portfolios, MyTrack, Google Offer, and Google Reader, I'd like to say "HA"

IMO, there is a fundamental flaw with the model (one unique to Google), a substantial number of the market cannot even access the service, so Google will kill it since it just can't be a big success. Other company will keep a moderately successful product, but not Google

Last edited:

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I believe Stadia's problem is not their tech, but rather their business model. That's why I am hoping they stick around and just adjust their business model instead. Maybe do a relaunch if they end up doing so.

I just tried it again the other day with Valhalla (got it for 8 bucks or so when there was a deal with a sign-up discount) and I actually had a pretty good time. The video compression is better than xCloud IMO, and it also felt more responsive. I played Doom 64 and it felt quite good despite the fact that it was being streamed from another location. Granted, I have fiber and the Stadia server is in my city, but so is the xCloud one.

I tried Forza with xCloud and I didn't really like the experience. Image quality was worse and the input lag was quite noticeable.

I tried both services using my desktop, which is plugged into my fiber modem. For the best possible experience, I used the Xbox app on Windows and Chrome for Stadia. Somehow, xCloud on my Series S (which is also plugged in via Ethernet) was worse than on the Xbox app on Windows.

I still find myself playing more through xCloud than Stadia purely due to their business model. Buying games on Stadia just feels bad. They should have gone the subscription route instead. Offer a basic sub that includes certain games, that maybe rotate every couple of months, and then have subscriptions dedicated to each publisher. For example, one could sub to the Ubi channel to stream any game from the Ubisoft catalogue. I think that would have made a lot more sense compared to their current business model IMO.

I really hope they stick around and revise their business model; the tech is good and it would be a shame if they just let it die.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Even if Google did shut down the Stadia service they can still license out the tech which I imagine they would do if they did shut it down. Google's mistake was misunderstanding the gaming market but their tech is pretty good. If there's anyone in the position to blow up cloud gaming I think its Microsoft and it helps they also sell local options for people who don't want to stream. Google went at this streaming only when the majority of gamers are still accustomed to physical hardware and the market was super tiny.

Basically Google should just call Nintendo and let them use their stadia servers for Switch streaming.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Yea, the timescale presented in the (now debunked) tweet seemed totally off for how Google sunsets its projects.
Usually they notify people and then give them about a year (sometimes longer) of wind-down period. 30-60 days would just be crazy, and also makes no sense given that the Stadia blades are finding alternative uses in the B2B space.
That and their planned expansion into Brazil, ramping up free trials etc.

Most people on the Stadia subreddit suspect the service might get rebranded and re-worked in some way. Nobody would be surprised if it changed name to 'YouTube Cloud Gaming' or something, but that would be more of a GPM-to-YTM style account transfer where some stuff changes but you mostly have the same service you've subbed to. Just shutting everything down would be a nightmare of refunding people for purchases, or transferring game licences, or telling people with a pro sub that they suddenly only have 60 days to get Ys 8 and 9 finished!

As ever though, even a completely unfounded rumour from a joke account is enough to get people worried, and so, as a Pro subscriber from day 1, I'm going to find myself nervously checking the news up until September 23rd.
\Rolls eyes.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I don't begrudge Kojima for wanting to do it, I just wish he wasn't because that title is inaccessible to me and that's probably not going to change for the forseeable future. You could argue that's a selfish pov but it is what it is.

I don't care about Kojima's games but this is the only problem I have with cloud gaming. Options are important and as long as games exist locally I don't care if the majority of people stream games. This was my main problem with Stadia, they were backing games and getting exclusives. Though in Kojima's case its more understandable if the game is reliant on streaming technology versus moneyhatting games that can run on consoles and PC.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
They should have gone the subscription route instead. Offer a basic sub that includes certain games, that maybe rotate every couple of months, and then have subscriptions dedicated to each publisher.
Isn't that kinda like Stadia Pro though? Right now you pay a monthly fee for 4k, HDR, 5.1, and a selection of games you can play for free that they add to every month. Right now they're up to around 60 I believe.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I believe Stadia's problem is not their tech, but rather their business model.

Not just business model, but their communication and strategy too. Google seem to have rolled up assuming that good tech and being Google would be enough to muscle in to the gaming space. They didn't even found a single studio until around the time the service launched, at a time when their ostensible rivals (who were already entrenched in the market) were shelling out hundreds of millions if not billions on their content pipelines - or were going another way like nVidia, and simply facilitating access to games you already owned.

Google wanted the lucrative sales/accessories cut that comes with being a platform holder, without making the investments to actually be a viable competing platform. And worse than that, since they didn't have any studios that also meant they didn't have any game to point to in order to show what "the cloud" could offer to their games that they couldn't get elsewhere - all of the magic of the cloud was purely theoretical talk. Their big "launch title" was an expansion for Destiny 2, and Gylt... and indie game.

Then they launched the service so the only way you could initially get in (aside from an invite from someone else) was to buy one of their $100+ founder/premiere kits, completely nullifying one of it's potential advantages - the lack of an upfront "buy-in" cost/effort like with consoles. And they were doing this late in the last generation, when people could get an entire console for less than twice that amount. Then months later they eventually removed that requirement, but they did so quietly and with zero fanfare after the service had been kinda laughed at and forgotten.

They also made the baffling choice to launch the service in a barebones state, to where you even needed a browser just to buy games because the Stadia UX itself didn't support it. This ensured poor reviews, and kneecapped it right off the blocks.

They eventually got off their asses and signed a deal or two with Ubisoft and EA to ensure at least some of their games came to the service on their release date, but this was too little and far too late. The EA deal literally came just before they closed all of their studios and started exploring commoditizing the Stadia tech stack instead.

So yeah - they nailed the basic streaming technology of Stadia. And they tripped on their own dicks when it came to LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE. Some people like and use the service, but some people like and use every service whether it's considered a business failure or not. Some people liked and used OnLive and Gaikai.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
How many new releases are coming to Stadia this year?
The ones I've heard announced so far: Fifa 23 (next gen version), Saints Row, Skull and Bones, and Roller Champions. They did say atleast 100 games were going to be added this year and I think they have 50ish left to hit that mark. They're also launching Stadia in Mexico and possibly other countries in Latin America latet this year.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
always a great sign when a service has to go out of their way to assure people they arent shutting down

I think it's more telling that rumours and questions have been swirling for months that it's basically over for Stadia and just a matter of time - including from their own users! - and all they can be bothered to do to combat that perception is a tweet from their social media person denying it. A person who wouldn't know if the higher ups were going to shut it down anyway.

That tells me more than anything. They can barely be bothered to assure people they are still alive, let alone advertise and assert themselves as being MORE THAN still just alive.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
always a great sign when a service has to go out of their way to assure people they arent shutting down
I think it's more telling that rumours and questions have been swirling for months that it's basically over for Stadia and just a matter of time - including from their own users! - and all they can be bothered to do to combat that perception is a tweet from their social media person denying it. A person who wouldn't know if the higher ups were going to shut it down anyway.

That tells me more than anything. They can barely be bothered to assure people they are still alive, let alone advertise and assert themselves as being MORE THAN still just alive.
For context a rumor started last week from an unverified, uncorroborated Facebook troll named Donny Jepp who "had a friend that worked at Google" that said Stadia was shutting down by the end of Summer. Several sites picked up on it because journalism loves negative news so Google responded.

I mean...they're expanding to an entirely new region this year. That's a pretty good assertion that they're still alive.

Last edited:

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't that kinda like Stadia Pro though? Right now you pay a monthly fee for 4k, HDR, 5.1, and a selection of games you can play for free that they add to every month. Right now they're up to around 60 I believe.
Indeed. I would use that as the baseline sub. Specific publisher subs, like the Prime Video channels, would be a great addition. The issue with their current business model of being a game store is that nobody wants to buy games that are only accessible in the cloud. If they offered keys for Steam/Uplay/Origin/Epic/GoG with the Stadia purchase then maybe it would be worth it, but even then pricing becomes the issue.

So yeah - they nailed the basic streaming technology of Stadia. And they tripped on their own dicks when it came to LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE. Some people like and use the service, but some people like and use every service whether it's considered a business failure or not. Some people liked and used OnLive and Gaikai.
Could not agree more with all you've said. Here's why I focused on the business model though; even if they had nailed those aspects, their choice of business model is still a big "nope". If they adjust their business model, they can then start to nail down the messaging and do a big marketing push. If they focus on messaging first, I doubt they are going to change much in terms of adoption rate. The only reason I occasionally use it is because of two games I spent a grand total of 13 bucks on.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
For context a rumor started last week from an unverified, uncorroborated Facebook troll named Donny Jepp who "had a friend that worked at Google" that said Stadia was shutting down by the end of Summer. Several sites picked up on it because journalism loves negative news so Google responded.

I mean...they're expanding to an entirely new region this year. That's a pretty good assertion that they're still alive.

No, it's a good sign that their ambitions to commoditize their streaming technology are still alive. Ubi or EA or whoever aren't going to use you as their possible future provider if your service isn't available in major markets worldwide.

This most recent "rumour" is kinda irrelevant. There's been speculation and actual reporting in the past that Google has basically given up on Stadia and re-focused on selling the tech as a white label service. There's been countless editorial articles about how the service is essentially dead. Gaming coverage basically always mentions Stadia as a failed or "troubled" platform when it mentions it at all. Google have done nothing to combat that perception for over a year.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
No, it's a good sign that their ambitions to commoditize their streaming technology are still alive. Ubi or EA or whoever aren't going to use you as their possible future provider if your service isn't available in major markets worldwide.

Gaming coverage basically always mentions Stadia as a failed or "troubled" platform when it mentions it at all. Google have done nothing to combat that perception for over a year.
Agree to disagree then. Announcing and launching a service into an entirely new region is not a small task and requires investment and resources.

Here's the thing I've noticed about gaming coverage, they eat up negative news as it usually does lead to more clicks. As far as some of the moves Stadia has been making (region expansion, new Stadia porting tools, launching on other TV platforms, etc) only a few sites pick that up and report on it (and it's usually Google/Android centered sites). A rumor from "Donny Jepp" on a Facebook group using the "my uncle works at Nintendo" source...several sites picked that up and ran articles pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Which is why I have 0 problems with cloud gaming as an option. Options are always good, I never said otherwise, Stadia also doesn't replace consoles for me. I won't be getting Sony or Xbox or Nintendo titles there so I'll still need to invest in a console/PC, it's an additional cost. Regarding the second part of what you've written it's not that I can't get good internet, it's that I can't afford it atm. I have a limited amount of spending money at the end of the month and an internet bill isn't like Gamepass where I can cancel after a month or two, it's at least a year or two long financial commitment. A financial commitment I don't need.

I was answering this line "Stadia being successful means erecting more barriers to entry.". You have to take into account that even though cloud gaming adds the requirement of needing to have the minimum amount of Internet speed (usually 10-15mbps), it also allows you to skip the hardware price and you don't have to pay to play online with Stadia, you do on consoles. Right now someone can play Destiny 2 on Stadia for 500 hours with better graphics settings and framerate than the last gen vanilla consoles and not spend a single dollar. It baffles the mind why so many people would like to see that go away, instead of wanting to see more games like that on a platform that allows that option. You can take all of those savings and invest them in games instead. Internet access is something that most people will have anyways, so even that is difficult to see as an additional cost in some cases. This is why I think that overall and especially over time, cloud gaming will lower the barrier a lot more, compared to the barriers of access we have now.

I don't begrudge Kojima for wanting to do it, I just wish he wasn't because that title is inaccessible to me and that's probably not going to change for the forseeable future. You could argue that's a selfish pov but it is what it is. In regards to the console argument: That's my point, cloud streaming is an addditional barrier to a medium which is already full of barriers. I have to save up for years to get consoles/PC upgrades, adding extra costs to that is not something I'm interested in so I won't shed any tears if cloud gaming doesn't take off.

That's what I mean, I understand that in your specific case you might not have access because your internet is currently not fast or stable enough or the server is far away from you (factors that might change by the time the game comes out in a few years). But that is no different from someone asking a developer to not take advantage of what the new consoles allow and continue to be limited by the old consoles instead. In any case, really think about what you are saying, there is no scenario where you get to play the game Kojima wants to make without the power of the cloud. The game Kojima is planning on doing will exists because of the additional power he will have. In a way, this is like someone asking Nintendo to release Mario 64 as it is on the N64 but on the SNES, because he doesn't have a N64 yet.

Think about this when you say "additional barrier to a medium which is already full of barriers". Let's say you have an Xbox One and Doom Eternal just came out, you know that Stadia runs great in your house. Tell me why is it difficult to see how that person gets to have the option of buying the Stadia version for the same amount of money he would pay for the Digital version on Xbox, and have an experience that is similar to playing the game on the Xbox One X/PS4 Pro without the additional hardware price.

Last edited:

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019

Sounds like the experience rooms were always intended to be shuffled though to showcase new products:
The Stadia space launched with the store in 2021, and is the first room that Google has removed from the store to date. Presumably, Google will shuffle these three rooms in the Chelsea location as new products are released over time.

Notably, the Google Store in Brooklyn (Williamsburg) has no such experience rooms, but both locations sell the Stadia Controller alongside Google's other hardware products including Pixel phones, earbuds, and Nest products.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
hLcEkSh.jpg

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
That's what I was thinking... "didn't these guys just deny rumors of shutting down?"

Status
Not open for further replies.