Oct 25, 2017
I also just realized that for a ship called Discovery we've only seen the crew go on three actual away missions. And, I mean actually landing on another planet, not another ship. The one episode on the living planet, the one episode in the mirror universe where the land on the Resistance camp, and the finale when they go to Qonos. Every other episode is either on Discovery or on-board another starship, usually a Klingon ship. And, of course, the Mirror Universe is just the Discovery sets with different lighting.

Where did all the budget go?
ynzD4xx.gif

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

What does this mean for how the show airs in Canada? Will we a) no longer be able to watch it broadcast on Space or b) watch it streaming on Crave?

Like, at least CraveTV turns out to have a bunch of content on it I like besides Star Trek, but the idea of having to pay for a THIRD service just to watch Star Trek sounds appalling.

(And something Americans had to deal with a year ago, I know, and I guess you all made your peace with it but damn.)
Unknown. I would imagine CraveTV and Space still keep the show since they very likely signed a contract (who knows for how long though) or it ends up on both them and CBSAA there. It's doing well there on that channel and service last time I checked and they're likely going to want to keep the show.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Never made much sense how such a backwards culture like the Bajorans even got space travel let alone earlier then earth.

They had a caste system that forced you to do a certain job based on you name.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I want a young Kai Winn series set during the Bajoran occupation.

I have a thought - If CBSAA were to do a Young Captain prequel series, which captain do you want to see and which captain do you expect they'll do?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I want a young Kai Winn series set during the Bajoran occupation.

I have a thought - If CBSAA were to do a Young Captain prequel series, which captain do you want to see and which captain do you expect they'll do?

They'd probably do Young Kirk. But I'd dig a young Picard commanding the Stargazer. Before he lost his hair so dont need to worry about finding someone who looks just like Patrick Stewart

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
No one wants to do it.
Also I guess it'd be like Star Wars and you'd have to destroy the EU.

I think it'd be easier for Star Trek to mark the extended universe as non-canon; has there ever really been any acknowledgement it could be otherwise?

As for post-Voyager, I feel like the focus is on establishing Star Trek again as a television show; it sounded like Bryan Fuller at least was interested in exploring that time period when he originally conceived the show as an anthology, but only after some seasons set earlier in the chronology.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose you would have to make a new antagonist or travel to a new galaxy

we sort of know the big powers in every Quadrant of our Galaxy

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I think it'd be easier for Star Trek to mark the extended universe as non-canon; has there ever really been any acknowledgement it could be otherwise?

As for post-Voyager, I feel like the focus is on establishing Star Trek again as a television show; it sounded like Bryan Fuller at least was interested in exploring that time period when he originally conceived the show as an anthology, but only after some seasons set earlier in the chronology.
I think it sort of officially became pseudo-canon since there were no new properties and the books billed themselves as direct continuations (DS9 season 8, post TNG, post Voyager, even a sequel to Enterprise where they apparently brought Trip back to life and retconned the ending). STO even took stuff from the books for the game.

They could do the Voyager/Stargate Atlantis thing right and have a one way trip to a new galaxy that no one knows anything about.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I think it sort of officially became pseudo-canon since there were no new properties and the books billed themselves as direct continuations (DS9 season 8, post TNG, post Voyager, even a sequel to Enterprise where they apparently brought Trip back to life and retconned the ending). STO even took stuff from the books for the game.

They could do the Voyager/Stargate Atlantis thing right and have a one way trip to a new galaxy that no one knows anything about.

It really is the issue that with the Abrams films being reboots, there was just nothing else in terms of Prime universe material until Discovery came along. STO and the novels began butting heads though because the novels decided to go for something of a setting finale, as far as I understand, that would have screwed over attempts to continue afterwards. Hence STO plays through most of the events of The Articles of Federation but then veers right off into alternative timeline territory. So there's kind of a common core of what works are the basis for other material, but then beyond that things start branching out.

Admittedly I like the 'go to another galaxy' idea because it would actually kinda work in the modern context of serialised television with myth arcs. In particular, back during TOS there was a species who'd arrived in the Milky Way from the Andromeda Galaxy, because supposedly within some tens of thousands of years it would be uninhabitable. So I figure it'd be kinda neat if say, they were to arrive in the Andromeda Galaxy (having taken the long voyage to get there, with work then beginning on a transwarp hub to speed up the trip between galaxies) and then... that species is nowhere to be found. What happened to them, and why? So you can do episodic explorations while still building towards something more signficant.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they set it post Voyager they just introduce a faster travel method, allowing them to travel further and new races introduced (while allowing the odd story from the old ones still).

No Atlantis or new galaxy nonsense needed.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If they set it post Voyager they just introduce a faster travel method, allowing them to travel further and new races introduced (while allowing the odd story from the old ones still).

No Atlantis or new galaxy nonsense needed.
They've been to every Quadrant though. They did skip over half of the Delta, but it was all Borg territory.
It really is the issue that with the Abrams films being reboots, there was just nothing else in terms of Prime universe material until Discovery came along. STO and the novels began butting heads though because the novels decided to go for something of a setting finale, as far as I understand, that would have screwed over attempts to continue afterwards. Hence STO plays through most of the events of The Articles of Federation but then veers right off into alternative timeline territory. So there's kind of a common core of what works are the basis for other material, but then beyond that things start branching out.

Admittedly I like the 'go to another galaxy' idea because it would actually kinda work in the modern context of serialised television with myth arcs. In particular, back during TOS there was a species who'd arrived in the Milky Way from the Andromeda Galaxy, because supposedly within some tens of thousands of years it would be uninhabitable. So I figure it'd be kinda neat if say, they were to arrive in the Andromeda Galaxy (having taken the long voyage to get there, with work then beginning on a transwarp hub to speed up the trip between galaxies) and then... that species is nowhere to be found. What happened to them, and why? So you can do episodic explorations while still building towards something more signficant.

Or they could just steal the Mass Effect: Andromeda idea and do something cool with it.

That said, the books ended? I assumed they were still going...

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
They've been to every Quadrant though. They did skip over half of the Delta, but it was all Borg territory.

Or they could just steal the Mass Effect: Andromeda idea and do something cool with it.

That said, the books ended? I assumed they were still going...

Not ended, but like, Star Trek Destiny is pretty climactic in terms of how things drastically change for the setting, up to and including a fully detailed origin of the Borg that goes back to the near-beginning of the universe, and several notable planets are outright destroyed, and a lot of people died. It's the sort of thing that makes it difficult to follow up without having to explicitly stick to the groundwork laid out. "Oh by the way like 20 years ago 40% of the Federation was wiped out, and the Borg Collective is no longer a thing."

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
They may've been to every quadrant, but they've explored only the teeniest possible percentage of all that space--there's really nothing keeping them from setting a new show in the future of the Milky Way, if they want to. The voyage to a new galaxy idea works, too, but it'd just be sorta unnecessary, I think--and, besides, it'd keep them from using any iconic locations from the series' past, which'd be a bummer. I'm just wondering if they'll keep the destruction of Romulus canon or not--even though it technically happened in the Prime Timeline, it's never been referenced outside of the Kelvin Timeline films, so... I dunno, there's some leeway there, I think. (Honestly, I'd be up for them dumping pretty much all of the TNG films - I hated Generations and Nemesis, like, a lot - out of canon, but I know it'll never happen.)

Anyways, in other news, I just got a package in the mail...

fs9Mh3X.jpg

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They saw a tiny bit of the Delta Quadrant that they passed while on a straight path. Gamma they saw parts near the wormhole only. Even Alpha/Beta still have parts unknown, I don't think what is on other side of Romulan, Klingon, Cardassian space has ever been covered.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I'm kinda confused about the point you're making here? Like, the 'those people' in this statement are, well, Federation citizens. The show's never been shy about showing that life outside the Federation - which the outpost in that episode with Ro very much was - is frequently not nearly so pleasant. Like, there's no subversive point about 'haves' and 'have-nots' within the Federation to be found in this comparison, since it's explicitly being made between life within the Federation and life outside of it. Picard's claim, that money doesn't matter within the Federation, is never shown to be inaccurate—and certainly not by the comparison you're making here.

To be clear, I don't think the Federation is perfect, or anything like that—I just genuinely don't get what you're trying to say.
If I remember correctly, and I don't have a eidetic memory on this, he doesn't say it as "we're beyond these concerns in the Federation" he says it as "we're beyond these concerns in the 24th century". That's my memory of it. Given the balance of what we saw after it, it's a very parochial statement for someone in his position to make. Some of the recent political events we're having in the 21st century are also coloring my reaction to those statements where you have a very privileged class of people making a sweeping statement of "this great for me, it will be great for you, person who just was frozen in a pod in the 20th century and woke up, it's great for everyone now" without taking their heads from their ass and looking outside of their gated communities.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
If I remember correctly, and I don't have a eidetic memory on this, he doesn't say it as "we're beyond these concerns in the Federation" he says it as "we're beyond these concerns in the 24th century". That's my memory of it. Given the balance of what we saw after it, it's a very parochial statement for someone in his position to make. Some of the recent political events we're having in the 21st century are also coloring my reaction to those statements where you have a very privileged class of people making a sweeping statement of "this great for me, it will be great for you, person who just was frozen in a pod in the 20th century and woke up, it's great for everyone now" without taking their heads from their ass and looking outside of their gated communities.

He does indeed say '24th century', but the obvious inference - at least to me - has always been that he's talking about 24th century Earth/the Federation--why would he be talking about anything else? Picard obviously knows that life outside the Federation frequently isn't like that; he's interacted with plenty of other cultures. The whole point of the Federation's utopia is that there are no longer 'privileged classes' of people--everyone has their needs and wants seen to, there's no rich or poor - no money at all - and everyone has the opportunity to pursue happiness. When you start looking outside the Federation this changes, of course, but I don't think that makes Picard a hypocrite--particularly when you consider that it's not like the Federation hoards their wealth, in any sense. They'll happily help anyone who asks--that's what makes them so 'insidious', in Garak's words.

Last edited:

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I got the impression that the Dominion was massive and the Founders spread their Will over most of the Gamma Quadrant.

Considering how close they came to conquering the Alpha and Beta Quadrant

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So are we all really supposed to be ok with the fact that they're letting a dangerous sociopath that's responsible for probably several genocides roam free in the prime universe. Just because she was coerced to do the right thing once. That's supposed to make up for her entire life of atrocities? Or maybe since it was in another universe it somehow doesn't count?? Yeah no, it's a stupid idea in every possible way.

And L'Rell having control to the bomb somehow reunifying the Klingons doesn't even make any fucking sense. How is she supposed to prove that she's not bluffing? And what's protecting her from simply being sniped when making her speech? It won't automatically go off if she dies, right?

The more I think about it, the more I hate this show.

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are we all really supposed to be ok with the fact that they're letting a dangerous sociopath that's responsible for probably several genocides roam free in the prime universe. Just because she was coerced to do the right thing once. That's supposed to make up for her entire life of atrocities? Or maybe since it was in another universe it somehow doesn't count?? Yeah no, it's a stupid idea in every possible way.

And L'Rell having control to the bomb somehow reunifying the Klingons doesn't even make any fucking sense. How is she supposed to prove that she's not bluffing? And what's protecting her from simply being sniped when making her speech? It won't automatically go off if she dies, right?

The more I think about it, the more I hate this show.

Space Hitler is free and L'Rell trying end the war like that would be the sort of thing every Klingon would want to kill her for.

Oct 25, 2017
How could the Federation really hold her though? She hasn't done anything (yet) in our universe. If anything they should have tied her to Michael.

"Keep an eye on her, if she steps out of line, that's on you"

Would have made more sense then just letting her walk.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Could you really charge her with anything?
she committed no crimes against Federation citizens and in her Universe i don't think anything she did is frowned upon.

I'm sure she will step out of line at some point and will be arrested accordingly

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
They really have no legal grounds to hold her. None. The Federation does have laws it follows.

As for L'rell an attack on her at this point is an attack on her house and would/should kick off civial war no one is going to want that. Of course they're going to scan where the bomb is. It can't be teleported out though. Also it is not all smart to kill anyone that claims to have a bomb and the switch for it. Klingons aren't stupid.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
They really have no legal grounds to hold her. None. The Federation does have laws it follows.

As for L'rell an attack on her at this point is an attack on her house and would/should kick off civial war no one is going to want that. Of course they're going to scan where the bomb is. It can't be teleported out though. Also it is not all smart to kill anyone that claims to have a bomb and the switch for it. Klingons aren't stupid.

No one wants civil war? What did you think the Klingon houses were going to do once they'd crushed the Federation? How do you think Burnham convinced L'Rell that the war wasn't helping her aims? House Kor literally hijacked House T'Kuvma at the beginning of the season. Civil war is an obvious and likely scenario.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Not ended, but like, Star Trek Destiny is pretty climactic in terms of how things drastically change for the setting, up to and including a fully detailed origin of the Borg that goes back to the near-beginning of the universe, and several notable planets are outright destroyed, and a lot of people died. It's the sort of thing that makes it difficult to follow up without having to explicitly stick to the groundwork laid out. "Oh by the way like 20 years ago 40% of the Federation was wiped out, and the Borg Collective is no longer a thing."
lol the last I saw, there was a massive Borg invasion and a Romulan/Cardassian alliance against the Federation, but I had no idea things got that far. It's like the Star Wars NJO era which rebooted everything and started by killing off Chewie.

They saw a tiny bit of the Delta Quadrant that they passed while on a straight path. Gamma they saw parts near the wormhole only. Even Alpha/Beta still have parts unknown, I don't think what is on other side of Romulan, Klingon, Cardassian space has ever been covered.
Sure, but if they do any Beta quadrant stories, undoubtedly it'd be about Klingons and Romans at which point, it's just the same old shit all over again. That was the problem with Mass Effect: Andromeda as well - go to a whole new galaxy, everything is exactly the same.
It might be interesting to go back to the Delta quadrant and have stories about how everyone hates the Federation because of Janeway, but that seems like a gimmick season at best. Same with the Gamma quadrant and seeing what happens after the fall of the Dominion.
I guess it depends if people are interested in trying to tell a completely new story with the framework, or be stuck with referring to the old shows.

Hopefully this means they'll have bigger roles in season 2

Just like Garret Wang!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
They may've been to every quadrant, but they've explored only the teeniest possible percentage of all that space--there's really nothing keeping them from setting a new show in the future of the Milky Way, if they want to. The voyage to a new galaxy idea works, too, but it'd just be sorta unnecessary, I think--and, besides, it'd keep them from using any iconic locations from the series' past, which'd be a bummer. I'm just wondering if they'll keep the destruction of Romulus canon or not--even though it technically happened in the Prime Timeline, it's never been referenced outside of the Kelvin Timeline films, so... I dunno, there's some leeway there, I think. (Honestly, I'd be up for them dumping pretty much all of the TNG films - I hated Generations and Nemesis, like, a lot - out of canon, but I know it'll never happen.)

Yep.

Do people realize how large a galaxy is? They wouldn't even have to move out of the Alpha Quadrant to find a lifetimes worth of untouched exploration. Finding new stuff would not be a problem in a post-Voyager Trek. And, we know it's not even a concern for these writers/showrunners since they keep setting new Trek in the past, the most restrictive writing context.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Anyways, in other news, I just got a package in the mail...

fs9Mh3X.jpg
I've thought this before, but I genuinely think the SHenzhou is a beautiful lookin' ship...so much so, I wanted THAT to be the Discovery because the actual discovery... particularly it's hull section is still the fugliest thing I've ever seen on any Star Trek design evar

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I'm sure Klingon society which is built on things like honor, rituals, and sacred sites would step in line to follow an individual that threatens to blow up their entire way of life including all of its holy sites; to say nothing of the bomb being placed underneath a sacred temple. Yeah...

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are Religious Fanatics... the T'Kuvma followers... they don't fit typical Klingon beliefs and ways... they are Zealots.

Oct 25, 2017
Also if I remember correctly the holy sites were abandoned after Kahless defeated him in battle, so those sites weren't sacred at all anymore.

As for the Klingon Honor...some saw betrayal and back stabbing as honorable so who knows. It plot/scene was poorly constructed but it's not that far fetched from stuff we've seen before from other Klingons.

Edit: Rewatching that scene when Tilly sees the emperor...she's so great

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yep.

Do people realize how large a galaxy is? They wouldn't even have to move out of the Alpha Quadrant to find a lifetimes worth of untouched exploration. Finding new stuff would not be a problem in a post-Voyager Trek. And, we know it's not even a concern for these writers/showrunners since they keep setting new Trek in the past, the most restrictive writing context.
Thinking about the size of the Galaxy makes me want a new No Man's Sky game but that's set in the Star Trek universe.

Zillions of planets to explore, teleporting down to planets for away missions, flying various races of ships, etc. Basically my dream game right there.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thinking about the size of the Galaxy makes me want a new No Man's Sky game but that's set in the Star Trek universe.

Zillions of planets to explore, teleporting down to planets for away missions, flying various races of ships, etc. Basically my dream game right there.

Me too. There's Star Trek Online but it's a janky, ugly-as-fuck MMO that focuses too much on combat. Pretty much the worst possible way to do an open-ended Star Trek game.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Me too. There's Star Trek Online but it's a janky, ugly-as-fuck MMO that focuses too much on combat. Pretty much the worst possible way to do an open-ended Star Trek game.

What's frustrating is that they removed the diplomacy clusters (presumably due to being otherwise too limited), which had you going into the fringes of deep space and encounter new (read: randomly generated) species. It wasn't much, but it was neat.

I kinda wish we could get a Telltale style game for the franchise. It feels like a perfect fit for narrative focused, choice-dependent storytelling - even has the episodic format because TV.