• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Burnham's parents being cited as genius scientists and staunch believers in "technological advances brought about by time traveler assistance" makes me believe that they didn't actually build that suit for Section 31, it came from the future to begin with and they pretended to make it for some yet to be explained reason.

Yeap:

The suit comes from the future via Burnham's parents, although they probably told Section 31 it was their idea or something. Won't be surprised if the Burnham's themselves are from the future.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeap:

The suit comes from the future via Burnham's parents, although they probably told Section 31 it was their idea or something. Won't be surprised if the Burnham's themselves are from the future.

If that's true then why

did they need the time crystal?

Last edited:

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Count me among those surprised to see Airiam's actress taking her old spot with a new character.
I like how they stopped and showed the reaction of the bridge crew seeing Michael's potential replacement if she doesnt make it take her place on the console

(of course she was going to make it but nice somber moment)

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The episode was emotional, exciting and funny. I disagree with IGN's "talky and dull" assessment but each to their own. Vulture gave it 1 out of 5 stars. AVClub at least gave it a B-.

After the bio-signature reveal I was confident there would be a twist, perhaps involving Mirror Universe Burnham somehow surviving her execuation and becoming the Red Angel. The actual twist was perfect. It makes so much sense (once we get an explanation to fill in a few gaps) yet it was a theory that I didn't see anyone predict.

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I was bummed by the early reveal, but this writers are not CW writers.

When you have nothing else to explain you say Time Crystal.

Man Spock is good in this episode.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Was pondering all episode

Surely Michael from the future would know about this event as she would have lived it sitting in the chair and would then have to live it again as the Red Angel. Which kinda annoyed me as none of them had thought about it

But pleasantly surprised when it turned out not to be Michael

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017

Surely Michael from the future would know about this event as she would have lived it sitting in the chair and would then have to live it again as the Red Angel. Which kinda annoyed me as none of them had thought about it

The entire point of the plan is that it doesnt matter. Their objective is to minimize the number of future time jumps.

If they capture the angel: She cant use the suit, no more jumps
If Michael dies: The angel is erased from the future, no more jumps

The actual flaw in the plan is that the AI can still come through that last portal... which it may well have. But it's an unavoidable risk

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

Which is why Spock made sure Burnham died when the Red Angel didn't show up. They had to force the Red Angel's hand.[/QUOTE]

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That was a good episode. I was okay with it being Michael but the last minute swerve with it being her mom was pretty good. Also Spock and Michaels scenes together were great as usual. I've really liked that relationship so far.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeap:

I'll one this up:
they are descendants of the people from Terralysium, probably even of Jacob in particular

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Does anyone else find it weird that they don't send corpses home to the families?

Seems rather harsh.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I believe its in the various shows because it's an old navy tradition.
Yeah, but that was mostly because you can't keep a corpse on a ship for months without consequences.

Army tradition has been to make sure people got home for their burials.

I dunno why I noticed this, it was just odd. Made sense on Voyager, or on Battlestar Galactica, not so much here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No mention of transporter problems on the station, as predicted.

The twist was dumb, the episode went out of of its way to cement it was Micheal, then ignores its own facts for a dumb twist.

Culber literally says Micheal is a 100% match to the red angel. Genetics, How do they work? The writers clearly don't know.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly Michael is a clone, not a biological kid.

If so she would be physically identical to her mother. Besides, I think Dr. Culber said 100% neuro-something match. Meaning not genetics, but brain patterns.

Agreed that was dumb that Pike did not order the transport of Michael immediately after Spock step out to not let Culber save her. Arguing for a long time before trying a little bit to late (this transport safeguard should be already part of the plan).

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I didn't really like Tyler "redemption" part because I don't think Michael's stance is really unfair. I did like Leland getting decked. I rolled my eyes at the Papi comment but Cruz saved it. Old Airiam taking over new Airiam's spot was really awkward. I can now see the slight telegraph of this with the red/blue lights child-Michael saw while trapped in the closet, but I thought at the time that was something more akin to the Flash.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

The twist was dumb, the episode went out of of its way to cement it was Micheal, then ignores its own facts for a dumb twist.

Culber literally says Micheal is a 100% match to the red angel. Genetics, How do they work? The writers clearly don't know.

Who's to say that Michael doesnt become the Red Angel now that they have the suit?

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I felt sorry for Leland. Yes he should have been more careful but it was still just a mission that went wrong. Plus he was big enough to admit it to Burnham when she asked what he was hiding.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
What if
Michael's mom is actually from the future (ie. A temporal agent) and developed the suit in the past? It would explain why no one has ever mentioned Michael.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
My GF and I were trying to decide, if Michael was in the suit, how far back would she go and eventually decided
she would save her parents, thereby negating the need for Sarek to adopt her, and that's why Spock never mentioned her up to this point.

Then I guessed it was her mom in the suit, but for a second, when we only saw her silhouette and her hair, I thought it was Owo.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know that I mean all the theories before this episode aired I don't think I ever saw it hinted once that it was her

All the hints for that character were dropped (in explicit exposition, no less) this episode.
By contrast, hints about Lorca's oddities (and his particular interest in both Michael and the Mycelial Network) were woven throughout the entirety of the first season.

There's nothing here to provide additional context to previous events or cause the viewer to re-evaluate them. That's what makes it an uninteresting "twist". Admittedly, we might get some interesting revelations in the next episode(s) that do tie in to elements from previous episodes, but I doubt there will be much in that regard. (Instead, we'll get an info dump on the AI, Red Angel abilities/constraints, and future/time travel.)

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Leeland talks about the time travel cold war, we had some good episodes about this on Voyager, but if I remember correctly there were some agreements, like not changing things before Voyager's return and the destruction of the Borg network because without this the Borg always conquer the Galaxy in any timeline.

Oct 25, 2017
When Mom first showed up I thought the actress was playing an aged Burnham from a few decades down the road.

Also that death scene was grody. They really gotta do her like that? I mean I'm pretty sure any death would work, right? Some sort of injection, excessive dose of sedative maybe. Hell, suck the air out of a room, that's still more pleasant than acid gas burning out your lungs while it also melts your skin. That's just gratuitous. She got fucked up.
Who came up with that specific plan again? They're real fucked in the head haha

Burnham's parents being cited as genius scientists and staunch believers in "technological advances brought about by time traveler assistance" makes me believe that they didn't actually build that suit for Section 31, it came from the future to begin with and they pretended to make it for some yet to be explained reason.
Yeap:

What if
Michael's mom is actually from the future (ie. A temporal agent) and developed the suit in the past? It would explain why no one has ever mentioned Michael.
Something along any of these lines would be pretty cool. I'd be into that.

Which is why Spock made sure Burnham died when the Red Angel didn't show up. They had to force the Red Angel's hand.

Yeah, even before Spock took action I was sitting there thinking to myself that if they're not going to let her die then a time traveller knows that and doesn't need to show up, making the whole plan stupid. When Spock jumped in to make it real I was pleased. That was the only way it could work. Spock continues to be awesome.
Culber literally says Micheal is a 100% match to the red angel. Genetics, How do they work?
They're gonna have to explain this one soon.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
The episode was emotional, exciting and funny. I disagree with IGN's "talky and dull" assessment but each to their own.

After the bio-signature reveal I was confident there would be a twist, perhaps involving Mirror Universe Burnham somehow surviving her execuation and becoming the Red Angel. The actual twist was perfect. It makes so much sense (once we get an explanation to fill in a few gaps) yet it was a theory that I didn't see anyone predict.

There really wasn't enough information to predict it.
l

Michael could still end up in the suit and scanned by Control. But clearly you've read the scripts for the rest of the series.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

My guess is that Control planted that genetic data as a backup in case the Airiam plan failed. Control knew what they would do when they read the data, and that the Red Angel's would open a portal to prevent it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Didn't Culbet say that she was a genetic match at the pattern wasnt fake because there were variouses that couldn't be faked?

Technically you will genetically match for your parents DNA.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Culbet say that she was a genetic match at the pattern wasnt fake because there were variouses that couldn't be faked?

Technically you will genetically match for your parents DNA.

They also raised the possibility that the data was planted to throw them off course.

But in this case, it was to push Discovery's crew to lure the Red Angel in.

You definitely won't. None of us contain our parents' DNA. The whole thing was a setup by Control.

It makes me wonder if Airiam's last words were also a manipulation by Control, to get them to look at the file.