sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm amused that Discovery

Survived a direct shot from a weapons system 900 years more advanced
And yeah, the timeline is kinda stupid. 20 years ago? Sure. 50? Ok. 120? Ehh history book knowledge at best.

They specifically said that those were quantum torpedos which are certainly not 900 years more advanced. Mind you, that also makes no sense. Especially given we've seen things in the prime timeline like transphasic torpedos

At any rate, shields/hull/weapons are only ever as effective as needed for a given episode -- there has never been any consistency at all

I kind of expected Holo
Boothby
to turn up.

Also,
bet the Trill is Dax

Almost certainly is. Star Trek loves to lean on old characters and Discovery is no exception there

I hope its anything but Control survived and infiltrated through her implant. What i suspect it is comes down to her letter she wrote to her best friend in the s2 penultimate episode and she is having PTSD about everyone being long dead

I hope it's the latter, and it would better fit her actions from this episode

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this episode and yeah it felt like classic Trek to a degree. Glad I'm liking this season as I hated Picard.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I like how there's a female ensign or whomever that tags along with the bridge crew but never says anything. The true red shirt experience. lol

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For those outside the US, these are uploaded on FB also. They're put up around 10am ET.

Star Trek

Star Trek. 3,390,716 likes · 5,845 talking about this. Welcome to the OFFICIAL Star Trek Facebook page. Visit us at www.StarTrek.com!

EDIT: Hmm, the startrek.com site works when I use something other than Firefox. Guess I have something on FF that blocks it for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I love how there was a red alert and 2 people in uniform chilling in the lounge when Michael went to get Book

I guess they have no station to get to in an emergency? lol

Good episode

Zonar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona, USA
I'm amused that Discovery

Survived a direct shot from a weapons system 900 years more advanced
And yeah, the timeline is kinda stupid. 20 years ago? Sure. 50? Ok. 120? Ehh history book knowledge at best.

I think we have to give the timeline a little more grace. The writers are trying to figure out how long could it take for The Federation to seemingly dissolve but not so long that everybody forgot about the Federation. They work backward from that premise. I think it's a great concept and something that I haven't seen in my over 30 years of watching Star Trek. I've never seen a Star Trek where in the future the Federation didn't exist. And I'm really interested. So if they have to fudge the numbers a bit to keep the story going I'm down for it. And so far this season has been miles better than the first two

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
The constant "'REMEMBER THAT TIME ?" between Michael and Booker was hilarious. You've known each other for a freaking year at most lmao
Don't talk as if you're 60 years old buddies who have had adventures together decades ago. No one talks like this.

The entire worldbuilding of this future is just a bunch of nonsense, nothing adds up. It's like Season 2 again.

At least this episode's plot was okay, even if it was solved in an incredibly easy way.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I was very concerned going into a future with a destroyed trek would be a totally depressing dystopia, but so have found more joy and hope in these episodes than season 1 and 2 lol.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The constant "'REMEMBER THAT TIME ?" between Michael and Booker was hilarious. You've known each other for a freaking year at most lmao
Don't talk as if you're 60 years old buddies who have had adventures together decades ago. No one talks like this.

The entire worldbuilding of this future is just a bunch of nonsense, nothing adds up. It's like Season 2 again.

At least this episode's plot was okay, even if it was solved in an incredibly easy way.
The solution made sense. Humans were fighting humans out of plain ignorance and fighting without thinking. When forced to confront the fact they were being assholes to their own people and not evil invaders it was a wakeup.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
The solution made sense. Humans were fighting humans out of plain ignorance and fighting without thinking. When forced to confront the fact they were being assholes to their own people and not evil invaders it was a wakeup.
I mean, on paper I have no problem with it, however the way it was done was lacking a scene or a few lines where their natural hatred come up again and showing that they actually try to overcome it. You don't raid/defend for I don't know how many time, especially with deaths involved, and just be like "ok" after some alien tells you to try communicating.
It's not how people work, even in the future.

Discovery has routinely rushed writing like that that completely deflates the purpose of their stories for me. They have a goal in mind and they never reflect on how they should attain it. Same thing about what I said earlier with Michael/Booker. They want to tell you they've seen a lot together, it's just a weak and easy way to do it.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, on paper I have no problem with it, however the way it was done was lacking a scene or a few lines where their natural hatred come up again and showing that they actually try to overcome it. You don't raid/defend for I don't know how many time, especially with deaths involved, and just be like "ok" after some alien tells you to try communicating.
It's not how people work, even in the future.

Discovery has routinely rushed writing like that that completely deflates the purpose of their stories for me. They have a goal in mind and they never reflect on how they should attain it. Same thing about what I said earlier with Michael/Booker. They want to tell you they've seen a lot together, it's just a weak and easy way to do it.
Ill agree there. I think we will see a gradual change though because there is no way Earth of all places is going to remain an isolated little kingdom in the galaxy

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I was very concerned going into a future with a destroyed trek would be a totally depressing dystopia, but so have found more joy and hope in these episodes than season 1 and 2 lol.

Yeah I will give them credit for that.
Also I think it's sort of cool we're 3 episodes and there isn't a big bad yet.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Only thing missing was Michelle Yeoh should've kicked the EDF leader's ass too.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually finding Sonequa a bit hard to watch this season, she's chewing through scenery in every time she's on the screen in episode 3, I miss emotionally repressed Burnham.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I'm actually finding Sonequa a bit hard to watch this season, she's chewing through scenery in every time she's on the screen in episode 3, I miss emotionally repressed Burnham.
I dunno, she was just super happy that after two decades one short year of having fun adventures with hot cat dude she finally got to reunite with her estranged home. Makes sense.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but the not able to communicate with them/amnesia is kind of Tropey.

I think it actually makes a good deal of sense, in-universe. She can't communicate as well with the Trill since she's human, and any Trill with a symbiote that was on Earth at the time of the Burn would have to pass the Symbiote on, and eventually it would likely have to end up in a human assuming a limited Trill population on EArth. I don't remember what access Crusher had to the Symbiote's memories in the original TNG episode, but I think you can explain it away with "symbiote's aren't genetically built to exist inside humans, so the 'quality' of the joining varies from one human to another."

Are they going to make her a character? It just seems odd whenever the camera goes to her but she doesn't say anything (presumably so they pay her less lol).

I mean, I can't remember the names of four or five of the bridge crew that are always there, so it's not like she's alone. Reno wasn't even in this episode at all after being fairly prominent last episode. That's why I kind of rolled my eyes when Adira ended up staying on the ship, just thinking, "Exactly what we need, yet another character on the ship rather than growing those that already get no speaking time." I mean, it must really suck having the job of some of these recurring bridge crew from an actual acting perspective.

Oct 28, 2017
The premise of Season 3 is incredibly unique and provides so much opportunity for exploration. But instead, the emphasis seems to be on Michael personal issues, and her love interest.

Saru delivers a great reminder of what Star Trek is all about, in a way Pike did in the New Eden episode. He felt the ethics of the Federation and its values outweighed anything else. But the writers missed a trick, in my personal opinion.

Rather than base the episode on Earth's isolationist attitudes, by perhaps having a Landing Party visit Titan and come across the other humans and how they came to be ostracised, the total sum of that storyline was given to us in a hasty dialogue at the end. All of a sudden, their problems were solved and we are robbed of a chance of the Discovery crew actually discovering a new culture, and through their intervention, showing what Starfleet was all about.

Instead, the writers opted to focus on Michael and the new guy (forgot his name)'s sense of humour. There's nothing inherently wrong with having a lead character like this, but the problem is: almost all of the episodes are Michael focused, while everything else is rushed and a backdrop.

Strange New Worlds cannot come soon enough.

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome ep! What I enjoy most about Saru is that he is starfleet to a fault and his insecurity. For his backstory, he sure is trustworthy towards every obvious bad faith villain lol. It will be fun seeing him get undermined all season setting up for a big redemption or something.

They really emphasized that something happened during Michael's 1 year. Like yeah, 1 year is nothing and they throw big numbers around all the time, so I wonder if something else happened beyond finding a crush and contemplating The Burn. Maybe it was a really rough year of barely scraping by and sacrificing ethics and morals? Or she maybe she just likes this future and life more? Idk. Stamet's skepticism of The Burn helped the whole idea sit with me better.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018
That flashback scene where all the starships blew up... that quiet "AAH!" killed me.

That was just a goofy visual to me in general. All those ships just sitting there... plus it makes Saru's explanation of how Discovery survived the Burn because they weren't at warp weirder that it was accepted. Neither were all those stationary exploding ships! Oh well.

And yeah, it's weird that everyone we meet refers to the Burn as a traumatic event they experienced when it should be something they heard about from their grandparents. I can forgive it though since it makes for an interesting setting.

Oct 25, 2017
There should still be people alive who experienced the burn as kids, whos parents all would have died in the event. So I don't see why it wouldn't be a traumatic experience.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was just a goofy visual to me in general. All those ships just sitting there... plus it makes Saru's explanation of how Discovery survived the Burn because they weren't at warp weirder that it was accepted. Neither were all those stationary exploding ships! Oh well.

And yeah, it's weird that everyone we meet refers to the Burn as a traumatic event they experienced when it should be something they heard about from their grandparents. I can forgive it though since it makes for an interesting setting.
It was just a visual. For all we know those ships were amassed at a battle site, and they were destroyed by one act of sabotage, or some kind of weapon. Perhaps the AI from the Picard era came back and wiped them out?

The only thing we know about the Burn is that it happened. For all we know this was the result of another entity looking to break up the Federation to divide and conquer the various pieces.

Jan 29, 2018
There should still be people alive who experienced the burn as kids, whos parents all would have died in the event. So I don't see why it wouldn't be a traumatic experience.

The Burn is 120 years ago, no? The Defense Force Captain in last night's episode was maybe 40. The raider in the saloon last week who said the Burn was the best thing that ever happened to him was maybe in his 50s. We won't meet any characters who remember the Burn until we see some Vulcans or (hopefully next week) some Trill.

Oct 25, 2017
The Burn is 120 years ago, no? The Defense Force Captain in last night's episode was maybe 40. The raider in the saloon last week who said the Burn was the best thing that ever happened to him was maybe in his 50s. We won't meet any characters who remember the Burn until we see some Vulcans or (hopefully next week) some Trill.

I didn't mean the characters we've seen directly but their parents would have been affected for sure, entire families could have been wiped out.

Jan 29, 2018
I didn't mean the characters we've seen directly but their parents would have been affected for sure, entire families could have been wiped out.

Their parents probably wouldn't have even been alive either. It's just weird that the characters we've met talk about the Burn the way a 90s kid talks about 9/11 instead of the way a 90s kid talks about WW2.

Like I said, it's not a big deal and I can roll with it in this sci-fi universe.

Oct 25, 2017
Their parents probably wouldn't have even been alive either. It's just weird that the characters we've met talk about the Burn the way a 90s kid talks about 9/11 instead of the way a 90s kid talks about WW2.

Like I said, it's not a big deal and I can roll with it in this sci-fi universe.
I mean in my head I'm extending lifetimes to make this work, say they have kids into their 60s/70s, those kids would be 50/60 around this time but yeah it's not that big of a deal

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
She looked 40.

Humans 800 years prior lived to their 120s on average. If she looks like 40 and humans get to like 180~200 on average, she's probably very close to having lived through The Burn.

Last edited:

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic episode, Frakes delivered again. Random thoughts:

- Saru is finally the captain (altough there is nobody left to promote him but ok) and already made peace between two groups. Great stuff and a very Trek moment. He'll do great.
- So the Federation is still out there... somewhere. Curious who still is a member.
- Michelle Yeoh continues to be a delight.
- What is going on with Detmer? I'm interested.
- Millions of dead during the burn really isn't that much on a galactic scale....
- I like Adira. The symbiont could be very old and may have been alive during the TNG era or even before that. Could be neat!
- I hope Discovery gets an upgrade before it ventures out lol. Two quantum torpedos and they were fucked.
- Come on Michael, It's only been a year. How much can a person change in such a short time? That plot point was a bit strange.
- The final shot of San Fransisco with the Star Trek theme gave me goosebumps. It's still there!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic episode, Frakes delivered again. Random thoughts:

- Saru is finally the captain (altough there is nobody left to promote him but ok) and already made peace between two groups. Great stuff and a very Trek moment. He'll do great.
- So the Federation is still out there... somewhere. Curious who still is a member.
- Michelle Yeoh continues to be a delight.
- What is going on with Detmer? I'm interested.
- Millions of dead during the burn really isn't that much on a galactic scale....
- I like Adira. The symbiont could be very old and may have been alive during the TNG era or even before that. Could be neat!
- I hope Discovery gets an upgrade before it ventures out lol. Two quantum torpedos and they were fucked.
- Come on Michael, It's only been a year. How much can a person change in such a short time? That plot point was a bit strange.
- The final shot of San Fransisco with the Star Trek theme gave me goosebumps. It's still there!

Seems I don't have to write a post anymore, you already posted for me, thanks! :D

To add my own bits:

Technically it was even just one quantum torpedo that messed the Discovery up, the second would have destroyed it cleanly :P Now we could argue that even one should have destroyed it already but weapons and shields were never consistent in Star Trek, I mean the Voyager was just a science-ship yet it took much more offensively and defensively than many Galaxy Class ships so I didn't mind much, even TNG itself went all over the place at times.

That said the Discover clearly needs some upgrades big time, I mean the only saving grace it has at the moment is the Spore Drive but otherwise it shouldn't be able to scratch most ships that are somewhat up-to-date.

I'm so looking forward for more! :D

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Millions of dead during the burn really isn't that much on a galactic scale....
It kind of makes sense given that the number is only from a very limited perspective and how few people a typical Star Trek ship has. Aside from a tiny number of exceptions, most species are scooting about in ships that hold dozens or hundreds of people, with thousands on the top end. A million people dead is 6,250 Voyagers. "Millions" of people dead is some undefined multiple of that. Star Trek has always been kind of cagey about how big Starfleet is, leaving fans guessing at numbers based on unreliable clues, but tens of thousands of ships at warp at once (and presumably also a similar number not in warp) would be towards the higher end of the range of those guesses. I also think any number we're hearing from a former Federation member as an estimate for fatalities is likely to be Starfleet-only, definitely not galactic.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Synthohol didn't exist in Discoverys original time, Scotty confirmed it in that one TNG episode. Worst. Show. Ever!

In seriousness this was another good episode, I'm enjoying this season a lot so far, really solid. Really washing away the awful taste Picard left in my mouth.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
It kind of makes sense given that the number is only from a very limited perspective and how few people a typical Star Trek ship has. Aside from a tiny number of exceptions, most species are scooting about in ships that hold dozens or hundreds of people, with thousands on the top end. A million people dead is 6,250 Voyagers. "Millions" of people dead is some undefined multiple of that. Star Trek has always been kind of cagey about how big Starfleet is, leaving fans guessing at numbers based on unreliable clues, but tens of thousands of ships at warp at once (and presumably also a similar number not in warp) would be towards the higher end of the range of those guesses. I also think any number we're hearing from a former Federation member as an estimate for fatalities is likely to be Starfleet-only, definitely not galactic.
If they mean Starfleet only that number would make more sense, agreed.

One more thing to add to my thoughts about the episode: Stamets is now the most important person in the galaxy. Curious to see of that will mean they keep him on the ship as much as possible. Losing him would be a huge problem.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was just a goofy visual to me in general. All those ships just sitting there...
the scene wasn't meant to be literal lol

Synthohol didn't exist in Discoverys original time, Scotty confirmed it in that one TNG episode. Worst. Show. Ever!
take your pick lol
0Gg4xa5.png

tPRstaU.png

1eAds4B.png

:P

Last edited: