butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Also rather curiously, there's been a longer gap between now and Star Trek Beyond than between Nemesis and Star Trek '09.

So despite the Star Trek renaissance going on at the moment with lots of live action shows, animated shows and whatnot, nobody's figured out how to get it back into theaters.

Honestly, that's fine. They never figured out how to do really good TNG movies despite doing a good to great job on most? many? of the TOS movies.

I still haven't seen Beyond. Now that I've watched more Trek since those movies came out I wonder how my perspective would change.
It's good! You should watch it.

Nov 27, 2020
Honestly, that's fine. They never figured out how to do really good TNG movies despite doing a good to great job on most? many? of the TOS movies.
I really think that what the TNG movies were missing were strong character throughlines. There was real character development for Kirk and Spock in the TOS movies, and even the "lesser" movies had it. The TNG movies on the other hand? Guess you could argue that Data had some development with the whole emotion chip thing, but it was only really a development in Generations, a plot device in First Contact, a brief mention in Insurrection, and completely forgotten in Nemesis.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I really think that what the TNG movies were missing were strong character throughlines. There was real character development for Kirk and Spock in the TOS movies, and even the "lesser" movies had it. The TNG movies on the other hand? Guess you could argue that Data had some development with the whole emotion chip thing, but it was only really a development in Generations, a plot device in First Contact, a brief mention in Insurrection, and completely forgotten in Nemesis.

Yeah, they're a bit too episodic for their own good, where overall the TOS movies really do act as a long epilogue for the series as a whole (even if they weren't designed that way from the jump), aided by how TOS didn't end properly in the first place. It sorta had a natural space for exploring what closure might look like - if in differing forms because of what each movie presented - for the cast because they never had it in their own show

More immediately, Paramount's biggest problem is that they haven't - until arguably recently - managed to have one of the new casts break out as to potentially become the recognisable faces of the franchise overall, such that people would want to see continuing adventures with them even after a show has generally wrapped up - especially if they're wrapping it up because they feel its popularity is waning as to be worth it anymore. Which likely feeds into the explorations of potential standalone projects we've heard tale of - whether with Section 31 as a TV movie, or that purported 'origin story' film which I swear to god had best be the Earth-Romulus war. The sort of thing where they hope to leverage the brand rather than specific faces, because they've not really got faces that will get people in seats (except maybe with Mount and co, though that would be in years to come)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't care if they never make another Star Trek movie again. Not to say they were all bad or anything but it's not something I demand from the franchise and if Paramount can't figure out how to make one at all then why force it?

(Yeah I know Section 31 is now a movie, I don't feel like that changes my stance at all lol)

Nov 27, 2020
I feel like there's a couple of issues with Trek stand alone projects as theatrical releases. The first is…there really isn't a solid "how did they steal the Death Star plans" type story in Trek. There's background stuff, stuff that's been mentioned but never seen, but "Earth-Romulan War" isn't really a story hook.

The second is…without a known cast, they'd have to go for spectacle to sell it, but I don't really see Paramount sinking MCU or Dune money into Trek film these days.

The better middle ground might be what they're doing with Section 31: cheaper, direct to streaming movies with a known star anchoring it. Even though I'm not really hyped for Section 31, I do hope it's successful, simply because I see the potential in doing stuff like that.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
BBC America has finally stopped airing TNG. I've been expecting it. They've been showing it less and less the last few months.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of S2 of DS9 and man, Armin Shimmerman is an incredible actor. I love Quark. He's a cheat and a scoundrel but he's just so lovable.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I'm in the middle of S2 of DS9 and man, Armin Shimmerman is an incredible actor. I love Quark. He's a cheat and a scoundrel but he's just so lovable.
He's great. I got to see him in person at the Guthrie Theater as the fool in King Lear about ten years ago.

It was amazing, especially since I had no idea he was in the production before I arrived.

I maintain that ds9 has the highest overall acting talent of the 80s-00s series.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I know a lot of people would hate it since the timeline gets wiped out in the finale of Voyager, but I'd love a Disco/SNW length season with the Voyager cast's adventures in the last few years of getting home the first time around before Old Janeway travels back and changes the timeline. They're all the right age for it now.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Someone should remind the stupid Star Trek fans what Star Trek has always been about.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's a stupid episode. Why is Picard breaking the prime directive and letting the Enterprise crew have shore leave on a newly discovered, pre-warp planet?

Riker and Tasha are like "yeah it's nonstop fucking down there" with giant grins.

Then Picard says "Wesley, why don't you join us down there?"

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people would hate it since the timeline gets wiped out in the finale of Voyager, but I'd love a Disco/SNW length season with the Voyager cast's adventures in the last few years of getting home the first time around before Old Janeway travels back and changes the timeline. They're all the right age for it now.

I would be down for it. That version of the future was the only one that got fleshed out in any meaningful manner, at least until Prodigy decades later, so it's the one that feels "real" to me.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how much my opinion on Prodigy has changed. It slowly builds up all the Trek elements. I'm on episode 9 now and I'm fully in. It's great seeing them become a real crew and the action sequences with the Protostar are beautiful.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I have not watched Lower Decks but this crossover in SNW is pretty fun
You need to watch Lower Decks! I also waited until I was caught up with SNW and out of Trek shows, but it's legitimately hilarious and earnest.

My partner, who isn't a Trek person, liked S1E1 of SNW well enough… but loves Lower Decks. It's a wonderful show.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'll make time for Lower Decks eventually. Next up is the big kahuna, DS9. Will probably start that in a few weeks.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Voyager is secretly my second favorite show from back then. Don't tell anyone. Would love that.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Would it be appropriate to discuss a current major Star Trek actor "both sides"ing on Twitter about the genocide of Palestine right now in this thread? It was soul crushing when I saw it.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not gonna worry too much unless he triples down or anything; his initial point looks like it's trying to be more a general thought on what's needed for a ceasefire asap than completely bothsidesing the conflict; especially since the example then highlighted is regarding the Israeli government's genocide.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
And with that, I'm caught up with Lower Decks.

I think it's my favorite Star Trek show ever. (AND MY PARTNER LOVES IT!)

I didn't think anything would displace DS9, but it's just fantastic; it fires on all cylinders. It nails every single season finale, and the deep cut references demand rewatches. I have no notes -- just that I'm sad it'll end.

Kinda waiting for this season of Disco to finish before binging it.

Can't wait for the next season of SNW too!

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
And with that, I'm caught up with Lower Decks.

I think it's my favorite Star Trek show ever. (AND MY PARTNER LOVES IT!)

I didn't think anything would displace DS9, but it's just fantastic; it fires on all cylinders. It nails every single season finale, and the deep cut references demand rewatches. I have no notes -- just that I'm sad it'll end.

Kinda waiting for this season of Disco to finish before binging it.

Can't wait for the next season of SNW too!
Yeah Lower Decks is fantastic. I wouldn't blink at anyone saying it's their favorite trek show. I think I'll have to do a rewatch before the end.
It's funny, silly, pokes loving fun at the franchise, but it always has a ton of heart at its core.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I like that in the SNW crossover they chalked up the Lower Decks characters' different style dialogue to be a consequence of language evolving over generations.

Nov 27, 2020
I bought TOS on Blu-ray and each episode has the regular version and the HD enhanced version. Which would you watch?
I generally prefer the remastered versions, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that the CGI takes me out of an episode every once in a while. That said, there are actual story improvements when you can see what they were originally going for. I'm specifically thinking about the time travel sequence in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and the battle in "Elaan of Troyus".

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I bought TOS on Blu-ray and each episode has the regular version and the HD enhanced version. Which would you watch?
If you've never seen it before I'd go with the original version, it's HD too, the effects didn't need to be redone, the finished episodes existed on film. While the new effects looks good in some episodes there are other examples where they clash with the 60s footage.
Watch the episodes as they were meant to be seen first, someone else's interpretation on what the original effects crew was going for is always an approximation and the hard work of the original artists should be honored in my opinion. These effects look a little bit dated now but they were top notch back then.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Finished season 2 of Strange New Worlds. Finale wasn't too exciting for me (I was more into the musical episode) but still a really strong season and looking forward to more.

Now... I guess around next week I'll take the plunge into DS9.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
DS9- Armageddon Game is a fantastic episode. Loved it.

The scene at the end is total perfection.