• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
X62SiTX.png

| Star Trek Franchise OT | Star Trek: Discovery S4 OT | Star Trek: Prodigy S1 OT | Star Trek: Picard S2 OT | Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S1 OT |

The third season of the American animated television series Star Trek: Lower Decks follows the various missions and adventures of the "lower deckers" on the USS Cerritos, one of Starfleet's least important starships.

Where to Watch
US - Thursdays, starting on Aug. 25 at 12:01 AM PT only on Paramount+
Canada - 9 pm Thursdays, starting on Aug. 25 on CTV Scifi Channel, streaming only on Crave on Fridays
Everywhere else - Fridays on Amazon Prime Video

Cast

lds-sdcc22previews-301-2-1280x720.jpg

Main Cast
Tawny Newsome as Beckett Mariner
Jack Quaid as Brad Boimler
Noël Wells as D'Vana Tendi
Eugene Cordero as Sam Rutherford
Dawnn Lewis as Carol Freeman
Jerry O'Connell as Jack Ransom
Fred Tatasciore as Shaxs
Gillian Vigman as T'Ana

Notable Guests
Jonathan Frakes as William Riker
Gabrielle Ruiz as T'Lyn
Lauren Lapkus as Jennifer Sh'reyan
J.G. Hertzler as Martok

Trailers

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZqNoptBrrY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMEFo6k3V5c

lds-301-preview-07-1280x720.jpg

credit to B.K. for the title​

Last edited:

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Was waiting for this OT 🖖

You think they'll have any of the DS9 crew (voice) cameo?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I like this title more than the one from me you were thinking of. 👍

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait!

Also ready to be angry when the DS9 episode has no DS9 main cast members

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for more of what we got in the latter half of the 2nd season where referential callbacks supplemented interesting character driven stories instead of the annoying overreliance on them Lower Decks often stakes its episodes on but we shall see.

It's definitely a fun and entertaining show but I don't think it's come close to hitting its stride yet.

Jan 29, 2018
I'm hoping for more of what we got in the latter half of the 2nd season where referential callbacks supplemented interesting character driven stories instead of the annoying overreliance on them Lower Decks often stakes its episodes on but we shall see.

It's definitely a fun and entertaining show but I don't think it's come close to hitting its stride yet.

If I remember correctly the first 2-3 or episodes of both seasons so far were kinda loud and over-reliant on references and then the show would settle into a groove for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if season 3 fits the same pattern.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

I love the show, but think it has a very limited lifespan. I think this will be the last season they can do before "why haven't these people been promoted" is the joke. And that's a terrible joke.

Jan 29, 2018
I love the show, but think it has a very limited lifespan. I think this will be the last season they can do before "why haven't these people been promoted" is the joke. And that's a terrible joke.

They already started pivoting from focusing on the lower decks of the Cerritos to the Cerritos being the 'Lower Decks' of Starfleet, so as long as they get promoted within the ship they can continue.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Oh shit, Martok! Sisko's Creole Kitchen! Deep Space 9 + Theme! Fly around in awe at the pylons 😂

About time DS9 got at least some recognition in the new era.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I see they're continuing the "you can't watch this on streaming in Canada until the NEXT day because lol CTV Sci-Fi Channel or whatever the hell they're calling that thing nowadays" thing that most Star Trek shows get. I forget which one actually streamed the same day but it was nice not to have to wait while everyone has fun in the OT.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I see they're continuing the "you can't watch this on streaming in Canada until the NEXT day because lol CTV Sci-Fi Channel or whatever the hell they're calling that thing nowadays" thing that most Star Trek shows get. I forget which one actually streamed the same day but it was nice not to have to wait while everyone has fun in the OT.

Could be worse, you could be outside the US and Canada and have to wait who knows how long.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize this was so soon. Between this, GoT, LoTR, and Cobra Kai it's a pretty great time for genre TV.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Since season 2 finished I have watched all of DS9 for the first time and I'm so fucking ready to go back to DS9. I predict at least Kira and Quark will make appearances.

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly the first 2-3 or episodes of both seasons so far were kinda loud and over-reliant on references and then the show would settle into a groove for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if season 3 fits the same pattern.

Yeah, you're right about that being general pattern Lower Decks seems to follow. With the DS9 references factoring heavily into the promotion of this season, wouldn't be surprised if we get a bunch of that early on.

I love DS9 and am looking forward to those moments but there's a lot of opportunity for them to balance it with plot/character advancement right from the get-go considering where last season left off.

Writing themselves into a corner like that would squander all the potential of where the show could eventually go so yeah, hope they avoid that trope.

Last season provided a roadmap which made it easier to envision the growth of these characters beyond the Cerritos as well so hopefully that's something they're not afraid to explore and commit to.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait!

Also ready to be angry when the DS9 episode has no DS9 main cast members

I mentioned it before elsewhere but the episode is set seven years - or an entire DS9 series run - after What You Leave Behind. Considering how that episode ended I'm not sure who's still supposed to be there. If they return to DS9 in the 25th century things will be even more dire. Let's say Quark and Kira are still there seven years later, that's seven seasons worth of adventures they've had off screen, seven seasons worth of character development. So they either won't be there at all because they moved on, they'll be there and will be fundamentally changed which is bound to disappoint people or they'll be the exact same which is also bound to disappoint people.

That being said Lower Decks will proably get away with pulling off the latter due to being a comedy show.

Dec 19, 2021

Can you give some examples of this in the second season? Because the second season was all golden, including the earlier episodes of that season. Putting a rock on a god-like being to stop it? Gold.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lower Decks is so damn good. I still cannot stop thinking about the trek-movie parody episode in season 1. The music was just perfect.

open.spotify.com

The Cerritos

Chris Westlake · Song · 2021

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about season 2 for a while and didn't watch it until 2 months ago.
Kinda glad I did, cause I can go into this season fresh.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Caught up with both this and Strange New Worlds in the last couple months. Love them both, haven't been interested in Star Trek in years.

Oct 27, 2017
Can you give some examples of this in the second season? Because the second season was all golden, including the earlier episodes of that season. Putting a rock on a god-like being to stop it? Gold.
The S2 premiere was pretty good because it functioned as a fun and interesting character study of Mariner, Freeman and Ransom while using the framework TNG often resorted to in tonally differentiating their A and B plots in a lot of episodes. I think it even referenced Gene's idiotic directive against having interpersonal conflict between the crew IIRC. But yeah, a solid episode.

I don't want to go over examples in every episode because the post will be too long since I don't feel like the season found its footing until the doopler episode. The 2nd episode immediately springs to mind with its metatextual commentary when Boimler's on the Titan. Using Boimler (and his clone) as figurative devices to extoll the virtues of both procedural and serialized Trek is fine but the references veer so hard into archetypal territory that there's no introspection, actual stakes, or development that ends up substantially informing Boimler during the remainder of the season.

Later episodes do a much better job of exploring character vulnerabilities - Boimler's recognition of his friendships being just as important as his Starfleet career, Mariner's recognition of her own limitations and fear of abandonment et al. while using referential callbacks in a much more elucidating manner that supports their growth.

bremen

Sep 22, 2020
Assuming it'll be Friday in the uk, because. So damn stupid in the space year 2022.

Oct 25, 2017
god that was so hilarious, I'll have to watch it again tomorrow but so glad to have it back. Funny after SNW I thought that was my favorite of the new treks but now that LD is back, I don't know...what a great problem to have lol

Dec 19, 2021
I don't want to go over examples in every episode because the post will be too long since I don't feel like the season found its footing until the doopler episode. The 2nd episode immediately springs to mind with its metatextual commentary when Boimler's on the Titan. Using Boimler (and his clone) as figurative devices to extoll the virtues of both procedural and serialized Trek is fine but the references veer so hard into archetypal territory that there's no introspection, actual stakes, or development that ends up substantially informing Boimler during the remainder of the season.
Not trying to sound rude, but this paragraph reads like there's a whole lot of words that don't really say much. As in, the goal is to sounds smart, not to say anything meaningful. Not everything that happens to our characters has to be introspective, give stakes, or provide development for them that contributes to the rest of the season. The clone thing with Boimler can be enjoyed without having seen TNG. I've been watching LD with someone who's only seen a few episodes of Trek -- and we plan to watch S3 together -- and she enjoyed the second episode of season two, as much

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I'll latch onto this discussion by saying that in Season 2, especially at the start of Season 2, the show started making fun of rote repeating plot points and archaic episodic storytelling devices by just straight up going for those plot points and engaging in that kind of storytelling to then "hang a lampshade on it". That was quite frustrating and they're up to the same shenanigans at the start of this season which has thankfully been spoiled for me so that I can mentally prepare myself for the incoming fuckery.

That's just me though. There seems to be a sizeable part of the fanbase that doesn't see a problem with the lazy repeating plot points and episodic storytelling that resets the characters to their status quo after each episode that Berman & Braga Trek was defined by. I doubt those people would be concerned or even be able to detect the joke that Lower Decks is trying to make in the first place.

That's the core problem really. By repeating the faults of Treks past you frustrate those who hoped the franchise had moved on and you completely whizz past the heads of those who don't acknowledge those flaws and in the end no one laughs at your joke one way or the other.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
That's just me though. There seems to be a sizeable part of the fanbase that doesn't see a problem with the lazy repeating plot points and episodic storytelling that resets the characters to their status quo after each episode that Berman & Braga Trek was defined by.

If you go back to the Discovery threads it's full of comments like that. That's what people wanted.
There's even people in the Strange New Worlds thread saying it's not episode enough because there's character development 🤷‍♂️

Lower Decks doesn't progress Trek forward at all imo. It's comfort food. But that's okay, it's clearly designed to do that.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Weak start. I didn't like the cliffhanger from last season, and apparently the writers didn't want to try and do anything with it either.

Was nice they got James Cromwell back.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Hah at every girl on Boimler's farm trying to fuck him and he just rebuffs them. Rebuffs them. WTF?
Heh at the end.