• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
That Whoopi reaction was emotional to watch. I am really looking forward to season 2 before season 1 even airs now.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think Disco didn't come on until prime time though, almost treated it like a normal show, Picard is dropping tomorrow morning where a majority of people will be off to work
Same thing happened with Mando on D+ and if you didn't want to read spoilers then you didn't enter the thread until after you watched the episode. It's like insisting Brits spoiler tag Doctor Who for a day because Yanks haven't watched it yet. That's just dumb.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
With regards to the ship, it's worth bearing in mind that it's most likely a civilian vessel. Picard doesn't 'command' it because it quite literally is not his ship, nor Starfleet's.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Same thing happened with Mando on D+ and if you didn't want to read spoilers then you didn't enter the thread until after you watched the episode. It's like insisting Brits spoiler tag Doctor Who for a day because Yanks haven't watched it yet. That's just dumb.

I think that's fair. I'm just trying to be more open to what others may want since some parts of the world may not even be getting an episode until 24 hours later.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
And they do like to keep telling us about it 😂

This is the worst thing. Not only do they hate it but they compulsively watch it and then come shit all over the thread. I don't understand why people watch things they don't like. I guess their time isn't that valuable to them?

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
This is the worst thing. Not only do they hate it but they compulsively watch it and then come shit all over the thread. I don't understand why people watch things they don't like. I guess their time isn't that valuable to them?

How can a person make a full and accurate assessment of a TV programme (or a movie) if that person hasn't watched it? Besides, some shows take a while to get going and have bumpy starts but end up improving markedly.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I never get the complaints about shows (any show, not just Picard or Discovery) "not having time to breathe." Particularly when you go into a show knowing 1) the show is serialized, 2) modern shows (non-sitcom US shows anyway) have seasons with less than half as many episodes as when TNG was on the air.

You take one of those episodes to have a slow contemplative all character development piece and suddenly the same people are complaining about a show "wasting" an episode.

Last edited:

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
How can a person make a full and accurate assessment of a TV programme (or a movie) if that person hasn't watched it? Besides, some shows take a while to get going and have bumpy starts but end up improving markedly.

Theres 29 episodes of Disco and we get the same people telling us how bad it is and how its not trek etc. If after one season and you're not enjoying it I dont see why youd bother carrying on.

Picard is likely to be different to TNG and Discovery. I'm not for stifling different opinions and disco has its issues but trying to discus the good stuff often gets drowned out.

I hope people can accept this for what it is and not what they wish it would be. I'm happy we're getting new treks of differing guises and cant wait to watch this and all the other spin offs they have planned.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I never get the complaints about shows (any show, not just Picard or Discovery) "not having time to breathe." Particularly when you go into a show knowing 1) the show is serialized, 2) modern shows (non-sitcom US shows anyway) have seasons with less than half as many episodes as when TNG was on the air.

You take one of those episodes to have a slow contemplative all character development piece and suddenly the same people are complaining about a show "wasting" an episode.
No, those are called filler. lol

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

I know. And shows that are still an hour long with more than 20 episodes per season, are now not even considered as top quality shows worth a damn of hype, with a few exceptions.

I get it: there's so much content now that it's difficult to invest in a show that takes it time to explore themes or characters, and a lot of long form shows are indeed shit. But especially with Star Trek, it seems that too many people forget just how different TV is from back in the TNG era and it's going to be very difficult to update the franchise for modern audiences.

Spoilers allowed on US Episode Drop on CBS AA (12 AM PST/3 AM EST Thursday mornings)
OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Spoiler Policy

Although the voting skewed more towards a 24 hour spoiler policy, more people commenting in the thread were vocal towards following the precedent from other shows where spoilers are allowed as soon as the episode drops, so I think we'll go with that. If it becomes a problem in the future we can revisit.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoiler Policy

Although the voting skewed more towards a 24 hour spoiler policy, more people commenting in the thread were vocal towards following the precedent from other shows where spoilers are allowed as soon as the episode drops, so I think we'll go with that. If it becomes a problem in the future we can revisit.
lol, sure

74 vs 17, sure is a subtle skew.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
It would just have been weird to do a different policy compared to every other show. Temporary spoiler tagging is only really useful for shows that have all episodes drop at once.

But those kill discussion because of their format anyways. So it doesn't really matter.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol "generic" is such a meaningless buzzword it just mean stuff I don't like at this point

🤡 you should really stop regurgitating alt right conspiracy YouTuber material it's all bs
Alt right? People are excited about Picard because they like TNG - Discovery is not that and Picard is looking, from what we know through trailers, info and leaks, to be a lot like discovery

Man i hope i'm wrong but i have no idea why people keep trotting out alt right whenever they just have a normal disagreement with someone

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alt right? People are excited about Picard because they like TNG - Discovery is not that and Picard is looking, from what we know through trailers, info and leaks, to be a lot like discovery

Man i hope i'm wrong but i have no idea why people keep trotting out alt right whenever they just have a normal disagreement with someone
Maintaining a visual look for the universe = Discovery is what you're trying to say, but doing so rather sloppily. This isn't a show which needs to have story of the week episodes to sell into syndication. They're telling a story that Pat wants to tell himself. Picard will be for our time what The Undiscoveree Country was to the Cold War.

if Trek in the 90s had this kind of budget and VFX then what you're seeing on screen wouldn't be a problem but instead you're yearning for carpeted bridges, shoulder pads and awful effects.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So it's midnight release everywhere else on Amazon on 24th?
Sucks that we have to wait so long after it airs.

I don't even see the point of it...not like we get CBS outside of America. So it's not like watching on Amazon would take away from CBS.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maintaining a visual look for the universe = Discovery is what you're trying to say, but doing so rather sloppily. This isn't a show which needs to have story of the week episodes to sell into syndication. They're telling a story that Pat wants to tell himself. Picard will be for our time what The Undiscoveree Country was to the Cold War.

if Trek in the 90s had this kind of budget and VFX then what you're seeing on screen wouldn't be a problem but instead you're yearning for carpeted bridges, shoulder pads and awful effects.

Lol - i liked Enterprise . I am not precious at all about the tng-ds9-voy aesthetic. I do want intelligent scifi and I don't really care what stories Patrick Stewart wants to tell. He's an actor and not a writer and his influence over the movies was almost always to the negative.

I do miss less serialized storytelling from these kinds of shows but that will come back around at some point

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So it's midnight release everywhere else on Amazon on 24th?
Sucks that we have to wait so long after it airs.

I don't even see the point of it...not like we get CBS outside of America. So it's not like watching on Amazon would take away from CBS.

I guess amazon didn't want to budge on their Friday release day for originals?

Also theres a TNG marathon going on at BBC America right now

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
A friendly reminder to people who think this is just going to be like Discovery (which I thought was pretty fantastic in season 2) and not "authentic" enough. Patrick would not have returned to the role if he didn't get to tell the story he wanted to tell, he's played Picard enough for a lifetime. Plus he's old so I doubt he's interested in action stuff while being the leading man.

Also the sooner you get used to the idea that you have to update some things with time, the better. You aren't going to get a show that has things looking like they did in 80s/90s. Discovery is set in TOS era but it did go through a soft reboot tech wise and that was only natural. And even then they did a bang up job with NCC 1701 in Discovery. It's basically as close to TOS as you can get in 21st century look wise, without it feeling campy. And remember Star Trek is not Star Wars, it never had Star Wars otherworldly art style that was familiar but also odd making it timeless due to the universe it's set in (i.e. everything is done and developed differently there). Star Trek was always about vision of future based on current technology and socio political climate.

It has to change with times especially when our real world has gone through so much technical innovation in past few decades that it makes half the things in 24th century TNG look outdated already.

I guess amazon didn't want to budge on their Friday release day for originals?

Also theres a TNG marathon going on at BBC America right now
I see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol - i liked Enterprise . I am not precious at all about the tng-ds9-voy aesthetic. I do want intelligent scifi and I don't really care what stories Patrick Stewart wants to tell. He's an actor and not a writer and his influence over the movies was almost always to the negative.

I do miss less serialized storytelling from these kinds of shows but that will come back around at some point

The Orville is less serialized and it's pretty good.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Also the sooner you get used to the idea that you have to update some things with time, the better. You aren't going to get a show that has things looking like they did in 80s/90s. Discovery is set in TOS era but it did go through a soft reboot tech wise and that was only natural. And even then they did a bang up job with NCC 1701 in Discovery. It's basically as close to TOS as you can get in 21st century look wise, without it feeling campy.
From what I've read of the honest critiques, it seems like the the feeling of it being generic or uninspired comes from a look and feel that's used in a lot of sci-fi properties. The low lighting, surfaces dominated by blues and grays, and in the case of Picard, orange-ish holographic displays. There's a feeling that you've seen this all before and nothing really seems to stick out.

Contrast it with Trek '09, which retains familiar visual elements, but updates everything with a look and feel that didn't seem to obviously crib from any other contemporaneous sci-fi stuff. It's bright (lens flares lol), colorful, and dominated by whites contrasted with gloss blacks & primary colors. The engine room looks like a brewery but 🤷🏻‍♂️. At least it has its own distinct feel, which you can't really say with current TV Trek.

I can roll with whatever, but my main criticism is I just wish they'd crank the lights up a bit.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read of the honest critiques, it seems like the the feeling of it being generic or uninspired comes from a look and feel that's used in a lot of sci-fi properties. The low lighting, surfaces dominated by blues and grays, and in the case of Picard, orange-ish holographic displays. There's a feeling that you've seen this all before and nothing really seems to stick out.

Contrast it with Trek '09, which retains familiar visual elements, but updates everything with a look and feel that didn't seem to obviously crib from any other contemporaneous sci-fi stuff. It's bright (lens flares lol), colorful, and dominated by whites contrasted with gloss blacks & primary colors. The engine room looks like a brewery but 🤷🏻‍♂️. At least it has its own distinct feel, which you can't really say with current TV Trek.

I can roll with whatever, but my main criticism is I just wish they'd crank the lights up a bit.
Imo JJ Trek is actually even more different looking and it has far absurd elements like the Vengence, beaming to Kronos, snowglobe Yorktown etc (which wasn't really JJ but still). The ship itself is like far bigger than any Eterprise on TV, including Picard's Enterprise C and D. It had the blue and grey surfaces in abundance too. Infact JJ Trek is like the most blue and grey surfaced Star Trek out there. I think Discovery's version of OG Enterprise was far closer to TOS than 09, right down to the whistle alert, orange doors etc. Basically it showed you that Discovery itself was a one off and unique ship with its own style and tech far advanced than anything else out there.

From what I understand it was also contractually obligated to look distinctively different from TV, due to the CBS Paramount split leading to each only having the rights to TV and movie separately, despite CBS owning the umbrella Star Trek licence. But that could've been wrong info.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
From what I understand it was also contractually obligated to look distinctively different from TV, due to the CBS Paramount split leading to each only having the rights to TV and movie separately, despite CBS owning the umbrella Star Trek licence. But that could've been wrong info.
I've always wondered where that idea came from, I assumed it was made up by angry fans. I don't think I've ever seen an actual source.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Really curious to see this. It's still kinda wild to me that we're even getting this, both to see beloved old characters again and to finally have a show post-Nemesis. Especially the former, seeing them use Hugh and Seven is so cool to see.
Borg survivors gotta stick together, gotta get Janeway in on this.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
This is disappointing if true. SVOD shows should take advantage of their platform and be 50-60+ mins. Especially if they're 8-10 episode seasons.

The same length as a traditional network broadcast just makes little sense to me.

It's probably due to the fact that it IS broadcast television: in Canada, it airs on CTV Sci-Fi Channel (formerly Space).