• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
i thought VISOR helped Geordi with engineering problems that normal eyesight wouldn't recognize. he had better sight in fact.

i get that burton hated it though

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't Dr. Pulaski offer him an operation to restore his eyesight but he passed on it?

EDIT: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Loud_As_A_Whisper_(episode)#Act_Four

He actually didn't pass on it, just said that he would think about it. The Continuity section in that Memory-Alpha article says this subplot was placed in case they decided to remove the VISOR later on, but it's never mentioned again precisely because they didn't want to get rid of Geordi's look, even though Burton wanted to stop using them during the early seasons.

I'm not complaining much, it's an iconic look and cool, and it created good stories and themes later on, but it serves to show that Trek's priority is storytelling, themes, and messages, not hard science fiction or fact.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Finally caught up with the latest episode. Felt better than the last one and really enjoyed it overall, especially the heartwarming intro setting up Picard's relationship with Elnor, the ace space dogfight and of course
Seven of Nine's reveal.
At first I thought the preview for this looked a little too Samurai'esque for its own good but I have to say I think it worked and I'm really finding it interesting how the show is exploring different facets and cultures within the Romulans not to mention the lore they have.

What's frustrating me from really letting go and totally loving this show though is a combination of the constant, overplayed cynicism from some of the other characters and constant need for everyone to just constantly dump on Picard. I don't expect everyone to be in awe of him but I find the writers' need to portray him from the POV of the other character as a semi doddering failure all the time as odd and tiresome. The occasional F bomb being dropped feels really forced too, like "Look at how gritty and serious we are now!" Also when
ex Senator guy got his head sliced off
that felt a little over the top.

And Rafi continues to be the most irritating person on the show, just oozing self aware, cooler than thou sarcasm and contempt for everyone she meets. Hi, this is Elnor, he's going to help us. "A boy with a stick." Yes, braindead idiot. The "boy with a stick" who you, being a supposedly tolerant and enlightened former Starfleet officer should know comes from a very culturally diverse race which also features a deadly warrior nun/monk caste which was the whole point of Picard's mission in going down to the planet as was discussed earlier but no, let's forget that just to have another throw away, forced snark line for this garbage character. She seriously ruins every moment she's in, the sooner they kill off this character the better.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The boy with the stick line was her showing surprise, because much like Picard, she assumed he would have been somewhere else by now. The order he was staying with doesn't train men. She was confirming he was the same kid.

She was surprised he was still there, and that he had been trained by the warrior nuns.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Also want to say the bonus hologram reappearance of Susan Costanza's Mom was fun and also want to second that the scenes on the Borg cube with British Romulan guy are getting stale.

The boy with the stick line was her showing surprise, because much like Picard, she assumed he would have been somewhere else by now. The order he was staying with doesn't train men. She was confirming he was the same kid.

She was surprised he was still there, and that he had been trained by the warrior nuns.

I feel like this is giving the character and the writers' intent with her way too much credit and leeway. The line itself and its delivery was pure sarcasm, "Oh there goes dumb old JL dragging up another random person onto the ship," nothing more.

Last edited:

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
what if the reason Raffi got booted out of Starfleet was not some vast and deep nebulous Zhat Vash and Starfleet conspiracy, but everyone hated her vaping and she was super obnoxious about vape nation

she's only going along on the mission because she heard rumors of a new vape pen flavor in the uncharted regions

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
also Raffi actress still can't act.

While I'm not very familiar with her career I don't think Michelle Hurd is a bad actress, her character so far is just not likeable. There's only so much an actor or actress can do when the writers keep giving you bad lines and apparently designate a character as the wet blanket of the show. Aside from her eye rolling and constant sarcasm, I still can't get over how ridiculous her speech to Picard was after they were reunited, whining about "Wah wah you got to go back to your vineyard and write books, please feel sorry for me being a navel gazing vaper who chose to live in a trailer house in the desert of my own free will in a money-less society." So childish.

and Seven. I'm gonna need some water here. Frakes is such a good match as a director for these shows.

Yeah, I felt like cheering when I saw Seven, that was a great entrance. Hopefully she chews up every scene she's in (along with Rafi).

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm not very familiar with her career I don't think Michelle Hurd is a bad actress, her character so far is just not likeable. There's only so much an actor or actress can do when the writers keep giving you bad lines and apparently designate a character as the wet blanket of the show. Aside from her eye rolling and constant sarcasm, I still can't get over how ridiculous her speech to Picard was after they were reunited, whining about "Wah wah you got to go back to your vineyard and write books, please feel sorry for me being a navel gazing vaper who chose to live in a trailer house in the desert of my own free will in a money-less society." So childish.

LOL.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I absolutely do not like is that they completely spoil the guest characters by listing the actor and the character during the intro of the show. They did with Data in episode 1, and they did it again with this episode and 7 of 9.
They don't have a choice. The rules of negotiation along with SAG guidelines means they are legally required to credit Jeri Ryan and Brent Spiner for any appearances. Sure, it sucks to have surprises spoiled but that's the terms they agree to

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
They don't have a choice. The rules of negotiation along with SAG guidelines means they are legally required to credit Jeri Ryan and Brent Spiner for any appearances. Sure, it sucks to have surprises spoiled but that's the terms they agree to
Can they not be credited at the end?

I'm pretty sure I remember that happening in one episode of Battlestar Galactica (though I can't recall too many other instances).

I don't really mind too much because I now have a habit of not reading the credits at the start of a show to avoid spoilers, but if lots of people get into that habit that starts defeating the point of credits.

An alternative might be to credit each of the actors at the start whether they're going to appear in the episode or not. I'm not sure how that fits into the rules - maybe they could have a clear split between regular stars and recurring stars. If it were possible, the worst it'd do was let people know Jeri Ryan would appear at some point in the series, which wouldn't be a secret given the promotional materials. The episode that she appeared in would still be unknown, allowing for some level of surprise to be retained.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Stargate put guest starring at the end for surprise reveals.

Edit: Jolinar's Memories

Surprise character reveal right at the end, just like Seven, didn't mention him at all with rest of guest stars, mentioned him as guest star right as regular end credits start.

Last edited:

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
what if the reason Raffi got booted out of Starfleet was not some vast and deep nebulous Zhat Vash and Starfleet conspiracy, but everyone hated her vaping and she was super obnoxious about vape nation

she's only going along on the mission because she heard rumors of a new vape pen flavor in the uncharted regions
Probably wouldn't stop going on about CrossFit either.

Prolly asked one Admiral too many to watch her jump on a box.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure I remember that happening in one episode of Battlestar Galactica (though I can't recall too many other instances).

I don't really mind too much because I now have a habit of not reading the credits at the start of a show to avoid spoilers, but if lots of people get into that habit that starts defeating the point of credits.

An alternative might be to credit each of the actors at the start whether they're going to appear in the episode or not. I'm not sure how that fits into the rules - maybe they could have a clear split between regular stars and recurring stars. If it were possible, the worst it'd do was let people know Jeri Ryan would appear at some point in the series, which wouldn't be a secret given the promotional materials. The episode that she appeared in would still be unknown, allowing for some level of surprise to be retained.
George Lucas wanted a cold open for Empire Strikes Back (just the series signature text crawl) and he would put the director's name (Irvin Kershner) as #1 in the end credits.

The Director's Guild revoked George's union membership and blacklisted him. That's why he was forced to hire a non-union director for Return of the Jedi and co-direct the movie himself (even though he's bad at directing and doesn't like to do it). Because anyone who dared to work for George on RotJ would lose their membership and be blacklisted too.

Don't underestimate the pettiness of the union rules.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

They can, but the rules are different for recurring actors. Jeri being in the show for more than just one episode means she's likely credited under a recurring contract, and recurring contracts basically guarantee front credits representation.

Never underestimate the power of SAG...or a good agent.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Did everyone notice Soji do the Data head tilt?
AHHHHHHHH

sojiheadtilt.gif

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, though I did enjoy much of what we got to see on Vashti, am I alone in finding there was... kind of an odd, orientalist vibe to things? Like, it almost feels as though they're modelling the collapse of the Romulan Empire on various, early 20th century imperial collapses, including Imperial China and the Ottoman Empire. It's 'the frontier' not so much for being unexplored, but lawless, governed more by warlords and religious sects, peace maintained by 'rangers' stretched beyond their means.

The way Picard was set up as the savior of the refugee camp with the Ninja Nuns (again, what?) and as soon as he turns his back on it, it all goes to shit just looks like some colonialism. Especially combined with his outfit in the flashback.

GOD, thank you. I'm just catching up on the show now and I was waiting for someone to mention this. Super weird colonialist vibes and Picard as the Great White Savior. Like, I'm sure that's not actually what the show intended, but even removing the cultural/political context from the real world, it's still weird that Picard from 14 years ago is this great man who apparently single-handedly saved all these Romulans and no one else is around to take partial credit? Like I could kind of understand if by this point Starfleet had reneged on the deal, but no, the Federation is still mostly on board here. In fact, Starfleet pulling out is what leads Picard to never return here. Picard running point for the whole operation is one thing but it seems like he's taking a personal interest in this part of the planet, and having him beam down in an outfit that looks like he's taming the Indian countryside or some shit, be all chummy-chummy with the Absolute Candor warrior nuns and having pretend sword fights with the kid just feels so... bizarre. Like, don't you have more important shit to be doing with the rescue operation?

And boy, if the canon reason for Picard picking a fight at that bar is just so he could establish that his cause was a lost one, then I suppose that's a better explanation than anything else the show has thrown at us but BOY. It's dumb and reckless and seems incredibly ill-conceived, and it's the second most out-of-character Picard has seemed this whole show (with #1 being 14-years-earlier Picard). Like this is the kind of dumb bar brawl stuff Firefly would probably make fun of.

And in the end there's precious little done by the show itself to justify the argument that Picard wanted to look like a lost cause; literally just the bit at the very end when he tells Jurati what the criteria is. And honestly I find new kid's change of heart to be mostly unconvincing for this reason as well. I could see it happening if he was like "well fuck, I blew off the old man, he's probably going to take it out on some Romulan xenophobes and get himself killed, fuck," but that doesn't really happen. And even if it did, that doesn't suddenly bind the kid to Picard's cause. So I really don't have a clue of what changed his mind except maybe Picard is just that awesome and instills loyalty despite basically abandoning this planet and that kid for over a decade. Except that the show is also trying to tell me occasionally that Picard THINKS he's awesome but honestly comes off as a stubborn, uncompromising asshole sometimes and doesn't even realize it.

So far I feel like Patrick Stewart has been mostly carrying this show, but this episode I feel like I lost a bit of my sense of what Picard the character is supposed to be. And then you have all the eye-rolling Borg cube stuff that gave us nothing of value.

God I hope they get to Freeworld soon.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
GOD, thank you. I'm just catching up on the show now and I was waiting for someone to mention this. Super weird colonialist vibes and Picard as the Great White Savior. Like, I'm sure that's not actually what the show intended, but even removing the cultural/political context from the real world, it's still weird that Picard from 14 years ago is this great man who apparently single-handedly saved all these Romulans and no one else is around to take partial credit? Like I could kind of understand if by this point Starfleet had reneged on the deal, but no, the Federation is still mostly on board here. In fact, Starfleet pulling out is what leads Picard to never return here. Picard running point for the whole operation is one thing but it seems like he's taking a personal interest in this part of the planet, and having him beam down in an outfit that looks like he's taming the Indian countryside or some shit, be all chummy-chummy with the Absolute Candor warrior nuns and having pretend sword fights with the kid just feels so... bizarre. Like, don't you have more important shit to be doing with the rescue operation?

And boy, if the canon reason for Picard picking a fight at that bar is just so he could establish that his cause was a lost one, then I suppose that's a better explanation than anything else the show has thrown at us but BOY. It's dumb and reckless and seems incredibly ill-conceived, and it's the second most out-of-character Picard has seemed this whole show (with #1 being 14-years-earlier Picard). Like this is the kind of dumb bar brawl stuff Firefly would probably make fun of.

And in the end there's precious little done by the show itself to justify the argument that Picard wanted to look like a lost cause; literally just the bit at the very end when he tells Jurati what the criteria is. And honestly I find new kid's change of heart to be mostly unconvincing for this reason as well. I could see it happening if he was like "well fuck, I blew off the old man, he's probably going to take it out on some Romulan xenophobes and get himself killed, fuck," but that doesn't really happen. And even if it did, that doesn't suddenly bind the kid to Picard's cause. So I really don't have a clue of what changed his mind except maybe Picard is just that awesome and instills loyalty despite basically abandoning this planet and that kid for over a decade. Except that the show is also trying to tell me occasionally that Picard THINKS he's awesome but honestly comes off as a stubborn, uncompromising asshole sometimes and doesn't even realize it.

So far I feel like Patrick Stewart has been mostly carrying this show, but this episode I feel like I lost a bit of my sense of what Picard the character is supposed to be. And then you have all the eye-rolling Borg cube stuff that gave us nothing of value.

God I hope they get to Freeworld soon.

Definitely got a British colonial man saving the savages vibe when Picard first beamed down in his white safari suit. Also agree that Picard intentionally provoking the Romulans was stupid and totally out of character for Picard. I don't buy the "he's an old man now so he does stupid things". He may be arrogant, but he's not a moron.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Not a bad episode, but I agree with how the Borg Cube stuff is getting a little stale. Almost as if they're running out of things for the characters there to do until later on in the season but needing to remind us that they're important enough to have screen time.

A weird editing choice distracted me a little, though. After Rafi says her "Boy with a stick" line, it then cuts to Elnor, Picard and Jurati walking towards the camera with Rafi completely gone from the shot as they walk. I'm guessing there was some kind of retort and she walked away that was cut, but man did that cut make it feel disjointed.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Oh get out of here. You clearly haven't watched the CW if you think this show is the same caliber.

Some of you just get off and saying stupid shit.
It's definitely all about the melodrama in the first episodes, so I can see why someone would compare it to a CW show where that seems to be the predominant focus and logic-be-damned. Like I mentioned a few pages back we recently had a scene where Picard basically threw a temper tantrum and tried to start a civil rights movement in the 7 minutes of time had to kill before transport for no reason, it's pretty ludicrous and shallow once you step back and think about it for a second. The show's not all bad but the comparison can certainly be drawn.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely all about the melodrama in the first episodes, so I can see why someone would compare it to a CW show where that seems to be the predominant focus and logic-be-damned. Like I mentioned a few pages back we recently had a scene where Picard basically threw a temper tantrum and tried to start a civil rights movement in the 7 minutes of time had to kill before transport for no reason, it's pretty ludicrous and shallow once you step back and think about it for a second. The show's not all bad but the comparison can certainly be drawn.

I saw it as Picard just being fed up. Everything a round him has changed, for the worse, despite his efforts. And shit just seems to continue to pile up around him. It's not the way he remembers things being and his old presence and skills seem to be doing him no favors anymore. And I just saw him have enough. Sure it was ludicrous and shallow but people are often both of those things when they feel like everything has turned to crap around them.

The whole point of this show is that Picard is a different person and he is going to behave in ways that he might not have 20 years ago when everything was peachy keen for the Federation and he was the golden boy.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I saw it as Picard just being fed up. Everything a round him has changed, for the worse, despite his efforts. And shit just seems to continue to pile up around him. It's not the way he remembers things being and his old presence and skills seem to be doing him no favors anymore. And I just saw him have enough. Sure it was ludicrous and shallow but people are often both of those things when they feel like everything has turned to crap around them.

The whole point of this show is that Picard is a different person and he is going to behave in ways that he might not have 20 years ago when everything was peachy keen for the Federation and he was the golden boy.
When everything dumb about this show can be boiled down to 'Picard is old and fed up now' I think there's something up with the writing. If the justification for it all is the federation is worse now because reasons then please forgive a person for not being super enthusiastic here.

It's all a little too don't look behind the curtain

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
If they're going to do goofy stuff with EMH characters they should have Susan Costanza's Romulan mom occasionally show up to taunt Picard in his holo study:

NmmnvRv.jpg

"If I had a dime for every book on that shelf that he's actually read...I'd be broke!" (laughs and tosses back a glass of wine while Picard looks exasperated)

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When everything dumb about this show can be boiled down to 'Picard is old and fed up now' I think there's something up with the writing. If the justification for it all is the federation is worse now because reasons then please forgive a person for not being super enthusiastic here.

It's all a little too don't look behind the curtain

For reasons? I think the show does a pretty good job of showing how the Federation has changed and why....

And it has nothing to do with Picard being old, just older and different. I think this is a more realistic look at the character.

I honestly feel like some of you are looking for reasons to justify hating the show.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I start to wonder why I even read this forum anymore. You all seem to just love wallowing in your own misery and hate of everything. I think I'm done with this thread.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I start to wonder why I even read this forum anymore. You all seem to just love wallowing in your own misery and hate of everything. I think I'm done with this thread.

You're the only one here being dramatic and confrontational, we're simply expressing our opinions on the show and how it's pretty blatantly contradictory to what came before. If you can't handle people having different opinions about the television show you're currently watching, you probably shouldn't come into a thread to discuss it in the first place.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picard: I need a ship.
Starfleet: Go fuck yourself.

Picard: I'm going off into space.
Laris: You're going to get yourself killed, you idiot.
Zhaban: Yeah, you should take us along.
Laris: No, he should stay home. Fine, whatever. Go. Take Zhaban with you.

Picard: Zhaban, you should stay here, because the grapes are in more danger than I am.
Zhaban: Okay, but you still need help. Riker, Worf, Geordi... you've got plenty of powerful allies.
Picard: No, because they would say 'Yes', and I don't wanna get them killed on this dangerous mission that I just said isn't dangerous.
Zhaban: I see, so you need someone who hates the shit out of you, and is disposable, so you won't care when they die.

Picard: I need a ship, Raffi, my former first officer and closest personal relationship that the audience has never heard of.
Raffi: Go fuck yourself.
Picard: Why does everyone hate me? This is so surprising and undeserved.

Picard: I need a Romulan samurai bodyguard.
Male nun: Go fuck yourself.

Laris and Zhaban with Picard was the last time I can say I enjoyed the show. Since then, they've done a good job of introducing Picard to people who hate the shit out of him, but they've done a bad job of contextualizing the hate.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
new photos for this week

Seven of Nine now spends her time serving in the ranks of the Fenris Rangers in the lawless outer reaches of the Beta Quadrant.

What? That's like half of Voyager's journey almost and I didn't see any Slipstream being used to get there.

Oh get out of here. You clearly haven't watched the CW if you think this show is the same caliber.

Some of you just get off and saying stupid shit.

The 100 is great.

Jan 29, 2018
Seven of Nine now spends her time serving in the ranks of the Fenris Rangers in the lawless outer reaches of the Beta Quadrant.

What? That's like half of Voyager's journey almost and I didn't see any Slipstream being used to get there.

The 100 is great.

According to some map I got out of a magazine as a kid the Federation is very near the alpha/beta border. Romulan and Klingon territory straddled the border.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Voyager in the Delta quadrant, not beta?
Earth is on the border between Alpha and Beta.

Most of TOS was spent with Kirk's Enterprise exploring weirdness in the Beta Quadrant.

The Alpha Quadrant is where most of the TNG powers are.

The Alpha Quadrant has a border with the Gamma Quadrant.

The Wormhole in DS9 jumps the Alpha/Gamma border, connecting Bajoran/Cardassian space to Dominion space in the Gamma.

Voyager got tossed into the middle of the Delta Quadrant, which has a border with the Beta Quadrant. Which means that it needs to cross half the Delta Quadrant to reach the Delta/Beta border, and then cross half the Beta Quadrant just to reach the farthest limits of Federation exploration. When Voyager eventually got home, it would've had to come in from the TOS/Beta side, not the TNG/Alpha side.

Apparently Voyager crossed the Delta/Beta border during it's TV show run, but the showrunners thought that tech details would confuse and turn off their target audience, so they just kept on calling it the Delta Quadrant even though the ship was clearly in the Beta Quadrant.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to some map I got out of a magazine as a kid the Federation is very near the alpha/beta border. Romulan and Klingon territory straddled the border.
They either moved the Romulans to the far side of their Empire, based on common maps this would be either the 'east' or north border (I know, Galaxies have no east, west etc), or to the border at the south, the other side of Klingon territory. All huge distances from earth.
Wasn't Voyager in the Delta quadrant, not beta?

Yes, but Voyagers journey back to Earth would have been about 40% in the Beta Quadrant, if they didn't skip it like they did.