• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Online is pretty much dead

Is there anything shows how many are playing at any one time? Or are there at least several rooms with max or high player volume counts? I expect the online population may not be super high, but I can manage if there is at least some activity that seems consistent. I plan on playing the games for single player as well as multiplayer but hope to get the most for my buck in doing so. Otherwise I might just reach back a bit and pick up Force Unleashed and play through that again.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to always find some game with some people in it, but really thought it would be a lot more people since it was at the top of the eshop charts.

I haven't seen a full server yet.

Is there anything shows how many are playing at any one time? Or are there at least several rooms with max or high player volume counts? I expect the online population may not be super high, but I can manage if there is at least some activity that seems consistent. I plan on playing the games for single player as well as multiplayer but hope to get the most for my buck in doing so. Otherwise I might just reach back a bit and pick up Force Unleashed and play through that again.

You see a list of servers, usually only one or two are populated, but never full.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017

Depends how much you care about thirty bucks and mind some bots mixed in. As mentioned it's definitely not wildly active but I've always found some game to join, never completely full but usually can find one with half the bots fill in the rest. Definitely not ideal, but I still have fun. If money is a factor I couldn't recommend it, but if thirty bucks doesn't really bother you and you just want to play the campaign and can deal with only having a few populated servers with some bot fill, you can enjoy it.

It's really one of those experiences that on paper is not good: high price, some bugs, not a massive player base. But in practice i still have had a fun week with it so far and probably have put in like twenty hours. Also that's oddly with basically no nostalgia for these games, played a bit at friends houses back in the day but only had cube that gen and never owned them.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020

Patch is out on Steam and in cert for consoles. The fixes are numerous, including most (all? Idk) of the major ones, like BF1 loading sound, texture issues, y-axis inversion, crashing, and server browser stuff. BF2 cutscenes are fixed too but not listed weirdly.

Says they're continuing to make MP backend fixes and working on a second patch.

Glad it came quickly, personally I'm not bothered, but damn it sucks that some part of the dent in playerbase will be permanent because they screwed up the launch. I really would've liked to know how full this thing could've gotten had it launched well with great word of mouth heading into the weekend and beyond.

Instead this game may be permanently marred by anemic servers for its lifetime now that the damage is done from the WOM

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017

Patch is out on Steam and in cert for consoles. The fixes are numerous, including most (all? Idk) of the major ones, like BF1 loading sound, texture issues, y-axis inversion, crashing, and server browser stuff. BF2 cutscenes are fixed too but not listed weirdly.

Glad it came quickly, personally I'm not bothered, but damn it sucks that some part of the dent in playerbase will be permanent because they screwed up the launch. I really would've liked to know how full this thing could've gotten had it launched well with great word of mouth heading into the weekend and beyond.

Right? It's easy to say online games can turn around, but less so when it's a remaster that will not be getting any new major/meaningful content. With so many people getting a spit first taste, many will never come back.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017

Instead this game may be permanently marred by anemic servers for its lifetime now that the damage is done from the WOM

The crazy part is they fixed all this in…a week? Why not delay it a week or hell a month. Unless of course they knew they were being forced to launch this broken and had this cooking for longer.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
The crazy part is they fixed all this in…a week? Why not delay it a week or hell a month. Unless of course they knew they were being forced to launch this broken and had this cooking for longer.

Yeah because it looks like all the major issues were addressed with this patch and it took them 5 days to issue a fix. A simple week's delay would have avoided this whole shitstorm (mod stealing not withstanding).

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
Still no news on the Y axis issue? Bummer.

I know it has only been a few days, but got the feeling this is something they'll just completely ignore until a patch is ready like a month after release and it'll quietly take care of it.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
How is the split screen coop? Want to play with the kiddo but am curious as to what it actually is.

Is it just multiplayer vs bots or actual campaign coop?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

DYiS7tYU8AEGroL

Well, less so in the days of patches but first impressions still absolutely matter because those review scores from gaming journalists won't get updated.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
so they fixed almost everything in a week? I'm glad I didn't refund since I got the loyalty discount but what the hell, this game is going to be tainted because they didn't delay it a little

Zaro

Nov 13, 2017
Nice, waiting for the Switch patch.
The game is a success here with my kids,

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Ultrawide vert- (there's a Reddit post about the problem here) and no invert Y were the reasons I refunded so that's one out of the two fixed. I won't be surprised if the former never gets fixed but if a mod for it surfaces I'll pick it up again in a future sale.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I guess there's always the chance that even with a good launch the game wouldn't have caught on like crazy, but they were pretty high on the eShop/PSN rankings so...

Seriously, wait one week, guys. What an unforced error. This was our one shot at these games on modern platforms (minus PC) with functioning online and who knows what kind of bummer long term population we're looking at now.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I guess there's always the chance that even with a good launch the game wouldn't have caught on like crazy, but they were pretty high on the eShop/PSN rankings so...

Seriously, wait one week, guys. What an unforced error. This was our one shot at these games on modern platforms (minus PC) with functioning online and who knows what kind of bummer long term population we're looking at now.

I am also very interested in the long-term population of this. On one hand, they definitely missed out on capturing big momentum from all the hype around the release and initial positive impressions from press. However, it is also a Star Wars game, so I feel people who play games but don't hang out on forums will keep finding it on the storefronts and picking it up, unless the fact it is so multiplayer-centric turns them off. Just generally a bummer if it dies so quickly, considering even in its failed launch state i was pretty hooked to the gameplay loop.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
I am also very interested in the long-term population of this. On one hand, they definitely missed out on capturing big momentum from all the hype around the release and initial positive impressions from press. However, it is also a Star Wars game, so I feel people who play games but don't hang out on forums will keep finding it on the storefronts and picking it up, unless the fact it is so multiplayer-centric turns them off. Just generally a bummer if it dies so quickly, considering even in its failed launch state i was pretty hooked to the gameplay loop.
Fair point, the brand and general nostalgia over these games may carry it to a healthy state long term. I really hope the fixes get some press/attention so people come back, but it's the internet so who knows

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020

Yeah because it looks like all the major issues were addressed with this patch and it took them 5 days to issue a fix. A simple week's delay would have avoided this whole shitstorm (mod stealing not withstanding).

Well, less so in the days of patches but first impressions still absolutely matter because those review scores from gaming journalists won't get updated.

Star Wars is also a high profile game so the botched launch went viral. People looking for information about the Classic Collection are going to find a lot of discussions and youtube videos about the game being shit, I doubt there is going to be a lot content creators and forum posters who would give it a second chance later.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
In regards to the games getting a second chance from a wider audience, I'll just quote the famous sage, Kelly Clarkson:

You had your chance, you blew it
Out of sight, out of mind

Seriously, would it have killed Aspyr to wait even one week so that all those bugs would be fixed before people got their hands on the game? That week is all it took for the collection's reputation to plummet, and it's never going to get the attention it could have gotten from the general audience if it had just been delayed a little bit.

I'll eventually pick it up if it still has players once it's cheap, but... Jesus, guys. Unforced error indeed.

Sangral