• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Imagine being this bothered by other people's opinion of a movie? Embarrassing.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez. I thought Rogue One was a divisive movie. It doesn't even hold a candle. In fact, is there ANY movie more divisive than The Last Jedi?

Rogue One was not divisive lol. I hesitate to even call Last Jedi divisive outside of internet message boards. No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

And to answer your question, yes there are plenty.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because they're still pissed that the utterly ridiculous EU was declared as non-canon.
I don't necessarily hate the idea of "hero Luke who goes on to be space Jesus for a few decades after ROTJ", but damn if that isn't a boring take compared to what we got: Luke as reluctant mountain monk right out of a samurai/kung fu flick.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since the Force is recognized as an official religion in several countries can we now start designating Star Wars fans as religious extremists and get them put on some lists?

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's moronic, for sure, but I do think the RT thing of aggregating just positive or negative reviews, versus like the more traditional gaming thing of Metacritic is really strange. Not that it would make much difference with TLJ though, critics loved it, they weren't just lukewarm enough to have it doing better than it would otherwise.

RT also has an average rating, located right underneath the percentage.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars fans were a mistake

Quick poll:

More embarrassing at the moment:
  • Republicans
  • Star Wars Fans

I have star wars fans in my family that voted for Trump...and they loved the EU books cloned Emperors, Han fighting Otter People, Chewie's death by moon and all. Maybe there's a sub-set of star wars fans that lean right/think Rey was a Mary Sue and are now defending the prequels who hated TLJ? Are these the same fuckers who posted a change.org petition to remove Treverow and replace him with George Lucas?

I say both.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have star wars fans in my family that voted for Trump...and they loved the EU books cloned Emperors, Han fighting Otter People, Chewie's death by moon and all. Maybe there's a sub-set of star wars fans that lean right/think Rey was a Mary Sue and are now defending the prequels who hated TLJ? Are these the same fuckers who posted a change.org petition to remove Treverow and replace him with George Lucas?

I say both.

Yoda and Trump do kind of talk and look alike.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just get this out the way

JqYTmjn.gif

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For someone who hasn't watched the new Star wars movie, it isn't that bad is it?
IMO it's the best Star Wars movie released in my lifetime. But to do that it had to break some comforting rules about SW movies that have alienated people.

I swear ever since BvS, there has been this insane pushback to critics, and it baffles me.
Not that different from the push against the mainstream media tbh. As soon as there's enough mass on the internet, they'll attack the old guard.

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder what happened when someone told them A New Hope is built around the biggest plot hole of the century and OT Luke is a Gary Stu.

Fandoms suck.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Firstly, it's not just for Star Wars reviews. If you actually read the petition, you'd see its more about anger centred around differences in critic and public opinion for numerous movies, not just Star Wars. Add to that, it only has 640 signatories.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear ever since BvS, there has been this insane pushback to critics, and it baffles me.

It's not just movie critics. This is part of a larger populist cultural pushback against figures of authority. Whether it's something as simple as critics reviewing a Batman movie or something as important as scientists talking about climate change or the economy, massive portions of the American public have decided that the "wisdom of the crowd" (aka "whatever fake news poll I saw on my Facebook feed") is more valuable than the wisdom of authority figures and people with education and knowledge. Trump is obviously the largest and most notable manifestation of this concept; a man who completely rejects the intelligence or authority of anyone that is not himself and demands his followers do the same.

The weird, conspiratorial behavior that connects stuff like Trump voters and the alt-right and Gamergate and DCEU stans is not a coincidence, it's part of a major failing of our society as a result of the internet's absolute free speech (allowing charlatans to spread falsehoods) and the democratization of information. Everyone is an expert now.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find the very common conspiracy theory that anyone that doesn't like Star Wars: the Last Jedi is an alt-right instigator because obviously no one could dislike Star Wars to be a lot funnier than the backlash against Star Wars.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
These people aren't fans, they're just crazy assholes. Star Wars fans who have legitimate criticisms with the movie have been discussing them like rational humans instead of just trying to shut all conversation down and being loud obnoxious douchewangers.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's moronic, for sure, but I do think the RT thing of aggregating just positive or negative reviews, versus like the more traditional gaming thing of Metacritic is really strange. Not that it would make much difference with TLJ though, critics loved it, they weren't just lukewarm enough to have it doing better than it would otherwise.
Movies are on metacritic too...

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Firstly, it's not just for Star Wars reviews. If you actually read the petition, you'd see its more about anger centred around differences in critic and public opinion for numerous movies, not just Star Wars. Add to that, it only has 640 signatories.

You mean disney movies. The conspiracy here is that critics are giving Disney movies a pass.

Is it really that hard to believe that Disney is simply releasing quality movies?

Oct 26, 2017
Rogue One was not divisive lol. I hesitate to even call Last Jedi divisive outside of internet message boards. No one hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans.

And to answer your question, yes there are plenty.
Not divisive? What? Hop into The Last Jedi thread and you'll see plenty of it. And I've heard plenty of it outside message boards as well...not that I need to. Message boards are filled with real people and their opinions mean just as much...I don't know...not message boards...? I can't think of a movie that has caused more.

brandonh83

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to make a ridiculous statement by saying that maybe websites shouldn't be bringing attention to this sort of thing.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not just movie critics. This is part of a larger populist cultural pushback against figures of authority. Whether it's something as simple as critics reviewing a Batman movie or something as important as scientists talking about climate change or the economy, massive portions of the American public have decided that the "wisdom of the crowd" (aka "whatever fake news poll I saw on my Facebook feed") is more valuable than the wisdom of authority figures and people with education and knowledge. Trump is obviously the largest and most notable manifestation of this concept; a man who completely rejects the intelligence or authority of anyone that is not himself and demands his followers do the same.

The weird, conspiratorial behavior that connects stuff like Trump voters and the alt-right and Gamergate and DCEU stans is not a coincidence, it's part of a major failing of our society as a result of the internet's absolute free speech (allowing charlatans to spread falsehoods) and the democratization of information. Everyone is an expert now.

Yep, it's why science sites like phys.org are swamped by ridiculous posts in its comments sections. Everything is fake, everything is a lie, everyone is wrong.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not divisive? What? Hop into The Last Jedi thread and you'll see plenty of it. And I've heard plenty of it outside message boards as well...not that I need to. Message boards are filled with real people and their opinions mean just as much...I don't know...not message boards...? I can't think of a movie that has caused more.

Fans on message boards barely make up 1% of the audience. People who hop on the internet more often than not come to complain.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
ScreenRant is a clickbait headline blog.

Not that these people doing the petition aren't idiots. But 250 idiots signing an online petition because they didn't like a movie isn't really news.

That being said, TLJ is amazing and it's important to point that out in yet another thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.