• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
What other Star Wars projects feature the same/similar scenario?

On some level they have backed themselves into a corner with the way the world and Star Wars timeline is built. It's difficult to do a story about Jedi unless it is either in the prequel-era or the Old Republic era. The prequel era is commercial poison and means that the most beloved and iconic vehicle/enemy/character designs can't be used. Lucasfilm seems to have declared the Old Republic off limits. Respawn doesn't have much choice but to set the story in between Ep3 and Ep4.
There is still a lot of wiggle room to be had between Ep 3 & 4, i would love to see Mace Windu come back & hunt down Vader, kind of just a pipe dream now though for Mace to return, he was so underused in the prequels along with other council members.
But yeah this does seem to be a little been there done that imo, a young jedi in training fighting against the empire, that has been done.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That description in my post is pretty much Kanan Jarrus entire backstory. He's the main lead of Stad Wars Rebels, a really popular cartoon. And yeah, it's such a shame Disney went scorched earth on the prequels. Scripts, acting and cinematografy were variable levels of bad but the worldbuilding was really solid with some striking settings. Thinking about it, the general OT look/aesthetic also contributes a little bit to the feeling of "here we go again" to me.
The Rise of Skywalker can't come soon enough. Hopefully Rey & Company can start a new order of Jedi, so that we can have Jedi-related media that isn't set in a super-narrow time frame.

Though it's still unclear to me why the Lucas Story Group seems to want the pre-history of Star Wars untouched (Old Repbulic era and further back).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This is no doubt an embarassing thread. Why are you granted a free pass? I want you tards to message him that he looks "generic" on his twitter lol. Tolerance both ways but its easier to be a hypocrate on Era. Ya'll generic proponents can fuck off.
I have no issue with the actor, why would i message him on twitter ? lol

You might wanna take a step back and breathe in/out again.
Not being hyped initially about a trailer and the MC doesnt mean that you hate everything connected to it. Just that i had hoped for a more interesting MC in terms of looks - just seems very safe, overall.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
There are times when I like era... and then there are times when I realize it's a very dark place. This is a low moment.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This is no doubt an embarassing thread. Why are you granted a free pass? I want you to message him that he looks "generic" on his twitter lol. It's easier to be a hypocrate on Era. Ya'll generic proponents can fuck off.

hey look, another burner account

I want you to make this comment on your actual account.

Oct 31, 2017
Will they ever be current Star Wars media where you can be anything other than a white person?

I don't understand why not just make it a create a character?

All these Star Wars protagonists look exactly the same, it's boring as hell. I'd rather make my own playable character

Biggest problem with the protagonist, at least until we get more information, is that it REALLY feels like a "been there, done that" situation. A padawan on the run from the Empire, seemingly working on mines and supressing his force powers/sensitivity, wielding a blue lightsaber is extremely familiar territory to a big portion of Star Wars fans. He even has an inquisitor chasing him! Pair that up with a bland design/costume and a lame-ish trailer with no gameplay it's no wonder people are dissapointed.

And yes, him being a white male does contribute to the overall "bland-ness" of the character, as much as people wouldn't like to admit it.

Absolutely no lies detected

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Well that was forgettable.

The lack of gameplay didn't help, I'm guessing it will be setpiece driven Uncharted snore fest stuff.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good reveal trailer, aside from the most generic white dude protagonist in recent years. I'm honestly wondering how he got green lit.
Maybe wait to see him for real instead of a 2 minute trailer with barely any dialogue? Also his face is modeled after a real actor who plays the Joker in Gotham. Are you calling him a generic human then?

For all we know this character could indeed be a bland and boring one with no discernible personality but we still don't know that. Nathan Drake might be straight white and male but no one would call his actual character bland or boring with no personality. Let's wait and see. Also for all we know this Kal could be some shade of the LGBT spectrum.

You're all jumping to conclusions too quickly.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Honest question from an older white male. Is the representation argument primarily stemming from US citizens, or is this a global criticism of all media?
I think it's a bit of both but regardless tho at a certain point a lot of us younger games who grew up playing SNES and playstation upward are just tired of playing games with white leads we never get to see ourselves in these characters at all,

Every game with a decent character creator I get I immediately make my character black whether that be Male or female depends on the game

I'm sure thars the same for a lot of others too

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
Why not ? Everything can be criticized for it but not Star Wars ?

I love the actor on Gotham - i still would have prefer another kind of MC, thats just basic criticism based on a first impression. That doesnt mean the character and story cant turn out great. There is no need for pitchforks just because the initial reception to the trailer and MC are just okay.

There is a reason why people loved the Kotor Bioware RPGs - being able to play as characters or focus on the ones that usually wouldnt get the MC spot. This game is the only SW game of that kind we are getting this generation -6 years in, so some people had high expectations....so just getting the potential safest options can be disappointing.

PS. But lets be honest - if this was a kickass gameplay trailer i dont think we would have the same discussions even with this MC. Just not that exciting right now for me.

Because I feel its arguing in bad faith. Star Wars has been very diverse lately. So I feel like its an invalid argument. That's all.

So what the dude looks like is only relevant if the gameplay sucks? I don't get that either.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Jedi game set before Episode 1 but not in the "Old Republic" era would be cool. Like 20 years before Episode 1.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coolest part of the trailer was them salvaging the Star Destroyer next to a Sarlaac pit, gimme that game.

Obviously yawning too at yet another white protagonist leading a Star Wars narrative.
Honest question from an older white male. Is the representation argument primarily stemming from US citizens, or is this a global criticism of all media?
Representation in U.S. media affects Western, white-majority countries that are exposed to/consume a lot of stuff like Star Wars so it's closer to the latter than the former. Global though? Naw. People in Korea probably don't care, people in Australia will.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
This is no doubt an embarassing thread. Why are you granted a free pass? I want you to message him that he looks "generic" on his twitter lol. It's easier to be a hypocrate on Era. Ya'll generic proponents can fuck off.
In this circumstance it just means he looks like a sea of other white video characters, which Is true be mad but that is the truth

I'm a big fan of him on shameless and Gotham but it is what it is

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that was forgettable.

The lack of gameplay didn't help, I'm guessing it will be setpiece driven Uncharted snore fest stuff.
Uncharted is a snore fest now? Uncharted 4 sold like 10 million copies last time I checked.

You don't have to like this but you're not helping your case by calling Uncharted a snore fest.

I'm just so glad I'm finally getting a triple A single player story driven Star Wars game. The reveal was admittedly underwhelming and i wish they showed gameplay but they have my attention and their benefit of the doubt is intact.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
all I want for this game is it to be good.

please for the love of god

but all the leads of each movie you listed are white.

people's problems are that the diversity is relegated to the sidekicks.
Kinda moving goal posts around here. Between the mandalorian, the other upcoming series, episode 7, 8, rouge one, and battlefront 2.
None of those movies/shows/games have a white male as lead. 3 of the 6 have a POC. The other 3 have a white women. And in those 3 the secondary characters are POC. What's the issue?

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly thought it looked "OK" but that's it. Let's hope the single player game is good as EA's Star Wars efforts so far have been garbage let's be honest. Thank god DICE are not working on this there is some hope!

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't understand why not just make it a create a character?

All these Star Wars protagonists look exactly the same, it's boring as hell. I'd rather make my own playable character
Create a character would have been so much better. At least make him/her an alien.. something, anything else.. we've done this so many times before. It's not like this is the height of storytelling anyway. The trailer is full of shitty cliches/generic dialogue, so the "predefined characters work better for the story" argument doesn't really matter IMO.

I think every Jedi video game ever has had a white male lead?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I am hyped up on all this great Star Wars stuff lately, may have to binge watch all the movies the next raining weekend.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many times do I have to hear generic white guy complaints. If someone complained about the protagonist being a women or dark skinned they would be scolded beyond belief if not banned.
Star Wars has had plenty of main characters that arnt "generic white dudes" lately.
7 had ray, Poe, and Finn.
8 brought on rose
Rouge one had 2 Asians, kassian, and the female lead.
Even solo had a pretty diverse cast.
The madalorian and the other series Disney is doing both cast non white characters as leads.

Star Wars has been pretty diverse lately(good). I'm thinking they get a pass for having a white dude this time.
There are times to complain about not having a diverse cast or having generic leads. This isn't one of those times.
Edit - This isn't a racist post i like games and movies with female leads and people of color. I love ray and Finn from the new trilogy. And I'm jumping with joy that Oberon martell is the lead in the madalorian.
You aren't getting it at all. Next you'll bring up obama.

Oct 27, 2017
This was disappointing, no gameplay, not interested.
Welcome to AAA gaming reveal trailers. I knew this wouldn't have any gameplay when it was announced, and they emphasized "story driven", and I bet the gameplay will be like every other AAA cinematic third person game out there. The idea of a game with Jedi Academy type gameplay is dead.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe wait to see him for real instead of a 2 minute trailer with barely any dialogue? Also his face is modeled after a real actor who plays the Joker in Gotham. Are you calling him a generic human then?

For all we know this character could indeed be a bland and boring one with no discernible personality but we still don't know that. Nathan Drake might be straight white and male but no one would call his actual character bland or boring with no personality. Let's wait and see. Also for all we know this Kal could be some shade of the LGBT spectrum.

You're all jumping to conclusions too quickly.
I mean we only have this two minute trailer to evaluate - everything else is speculation.

Because I feel its arguing in bad faith. Star Wars has been very diverse lately. So I feel like its an invalid argument. That's all.

So what the dude looks like is only relevant if the gameplay sucks? I don't get that either.
Its the focus of the unveiling trailer - so thats what people are gonna discuss.
I dont think SW has been that diverse tbh - not when it comes to lead characters or MC.

But it is what it is - im looking forward to Gameplay....the gender or race of the MC wont be the reason why i care or not care about the game. This initial teaser didnt do much for me though.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, this isn't just about the Star Wars franchise, but also the particulars of Star Wars games of late. Because fewer games means fewer options for people to live out the fantasy, particularly that of being a Jedi - that is something this game is specifically trying to sell itself on. That is a particular intersection that the franchise hasn't delivered on so much of late, in part because of its focus on time periods where there's not many of them around.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I dug the trailer, though it would've been nice to see some gameplay.

I don't suppose it's too much to hope for KOTOR-style D&D action, right...? lol

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
I have bad feeling about this, I think it's for the character, it doesn't feel iconic. Don't know, I wish i'am wrong, but we have only see concept arts, and a trailer that looks bland.

It has an amazing team behind it, but may be they were forced to rushed the game (and I know that this has been in development since 2016, but after Anthem, don't know). And i'm saying this because in the last E3 they only mentioned they were working on it, they didn't had even a title. A year after, we have a trailer. And a few concept arts, I don't know. Don't feel the vibe.

I mean, sometimes the main protagonist is what makes a game great, the voice, how he/she looks, his personality, etc. Nathan Drake, Kratos, Sam Fisher, Solid Snake are example of this. You fall in love with them basically.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Create a character would have been so much better. At least make him/her an alien.. something, anything else.. we've done this so many times before. It's not like this is the height of storytelling anyway. The trailer is full of shitty cliches/generic dialogue, so the "predefined characters work better for the story" argument doesn't really matter IMO.

I think every Jedi video game ever has had a white male lead?
The accept the past thing felt like "oh that let past die quote is really good, we should do something like that" while completely missing the point.

Then the main character literally says "trust no one". How many fucking times have you heard that kind of line in a trailer before. It's like.. man I could do better.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just because the IP works well for an RPG doesn't mean every game in the series needs to be one.

I'm looking forward to a Star Wars game designed around one protagonist, fully voiced & performed - rather than written to accommodate a silent blank slate of a lead character. I'm also looking forward to a campaign built around that singular experience, rather than one that has to appropriate a wide variety of play styles.
I never said it has to be an RPG : we didn't know a thing about the game so I was just expecting something different from movies. And I am still curious about the game.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm pretty excited for this. I want a solid Star Wars single player narrative experience but I have worried after the BF2 single player campaign. I look forward to seeing actual gameplay later in the year.

A Jedi game set before Episode 1 but not in the "Old Republic" era would be cool. Like 20 years before Episode 1.
I agree. That time period seems completely untouched, especially in the new cannon (not legends). It would be cool to see the galaxy at that time, the sort of things the Jedi got up to and the conflicts they had to deal with before the rise of the Empire. I think 20 years may tread into "Young Qui-Gon" territory but even if he is just a background character or briefly mentioned but not focused on I think it'd be cool. I do wonder if this time period will be looked at in any of the films or future gamers or maybe even a tv show.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Plenty both the new series that Disney are doing have POC leads. The 3 main good guys from the new series are a white women, a black guy and poe(whatever he is). Rouge one had an extremely diverse cast as well.
Seams like an issue is being made when there shouldn't be in this case.
Rouge One had an extremely diverse cast (one of the many reasons it's my favourite of the Nu Star Wars films) but then that cast was subsequently killed off...
If Finn and Poe (who's Hispanic) were actually equal protagonists to Rey, we would've known them a little deeper by now but we don't...because they are sidekicks to the story about Rey. There's a reason why people have (rightly) called the female leads of Nu Star Wars films' Kathleen's drones because they are white and brunette