• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
That would have been really fucking stupid. Like, are people actually invested in Ackbar as an actual character? Or is this more "UGH I HATE WOMEN"

don't answer that

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
I'm going to start following the comics again this week. Not even gonna read the issues I missed. Should be interesting.

OP
OP
sphagnum

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to start following the comics again this week. Not even gonna read the issues I missed. Should be interesting.

Bizarre choices to start with - Poe Dameron 23 and Forces of Destiny: Rose and Paige.

I've been on a reread-through of the post-ANH stuff lately and I just got through the best part (Shu-Torun War/End of Games) and I'm dreading the sharp decline I'm about to slog through again in the main comic. At least there's Aphra stuff mixed in.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
Were there people complaining it should have been Ackbar who did the suicide run or something?

Because that would have been stupid.

Yup

It's like they forget that he was always minor character

Heck someone in a forum was suggesting they should have make it more for fans who stuck by the movies for so long which is an awful argument

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Trying to think which one's worse, but it's probably that one. I think. Man, they're both bad.

Yup

It's like they forget that he was always minor character

Heck someone in a forum was suggesting they should have make it more for fans who stuck by the movies for so long which is an awful argument
He was barely even a character, lol

Nien Nunb though, he better get a hero's exit. The true savior of the galaxy right there, and an A+ character if there ever was one.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If people can be serious, stand up and say that they are fans of Boba Fett, you can also stand up and be serious about liking Ackbar. But I guess that makes you a bad person now since some asshats in the internet includehim into their silly argumentation.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Rian Johnson did what now? Did he not read the legends section of my Wookieepedia!?
ENXanZv.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
One of the funniest things I've seen from TLJ are all the fans who shit talk Disney and yet their ideas for the franchise are the most pandering garbage known to man.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
If people can be serious, stand up and say that they are fans of Boba Fett, you can also stand up and be serious about liking Ackbar. But I guess that makes you a bad person now since some asshats in the internet includehim into their silly argumentation.
Overdefensive much? No one said anything close to "you're a bad person for liking Ackbar". I didn't even say anything bad about liking Ackbar period. I like him. I was just incredulous towards the idea that too many people were so invested in the deep characterization and lore of Admiral Ackbar that they thought one of the most pivotal and heroic moment of the film be given to that guy most widely known for being a meme. It would have been nothing but grating levels of pandering to suddenly give him that out of no where, especially since his role in the previous film was already just a brief cameo.

To lean into your Boba Fett connection, that would be like Boba killing Palpatine or some shit.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Overdefensive much? No one said anything close to "you're a bad person for liking Ackbar". I didn't even say anything bad about liking Ackbar period. I like him. I was just incredulous towards the idea that too many people were so invested in the deep characterization and lore of Admiral Ackbar that they thought one of the most pivotal and heroic moment of the film be given to that guy most widely known for being a meme. It would have been nothing but grating levels of pandering to suddenly give him that out of no where, especially since his role in the previous film was already just a brief cameo.

To lean into your Boba Fett connection, that would be like Boba killing Palpatine or some shit.

TBH, not really.

Admiral Ackbar is a minor character but Holdo was an entirely new character so if you have to invent a major character for plotline then you could also use a pre-existing character for it too even if he was a minor character before too.

Ackbar has so little characterization in the films that you can give him almost the exact characterization as Holdo.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Most of the fans ideas as I found are just recycle elements from KOTOR...

...and more lightsabers

KOTOR 1 and 2 are better than the Star Wars films though so that's never a bad idea.

Also the ST badly needed a lightsaber fight. That's one thing that across the board all my friends were bummed about.

Rey and Ben fighting a bunch of mooks isn't as exciting as two duelists facing off against each other.

That said, TLJ had the best "2 lightsaber duelists versus a bunch of mooks" fight in the series.

Last edited:

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR is a fine video game. It's also very, very obvious that it's a video game. A lot of stuff in its setting very clearly is there for the sake of gameplay, instead of actually being there to tell a good story. Which is good, since that's the number one priority for a game, but just rehashing that stuff for movies would be terrible.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Holdo is LGBT and you suggested she shouldn't exist. Pretty fucked up.

Not really because I didn't suggest that.

I didn't know Holdo was LGBT? But if she is, it ultimately doesn't mean anything because it's not in the movie or even suggested in it.

It's like when Rowling stated that Dumbledore was gay but even that has more substance than this since it was at least implied within the story.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
KOTOR is a fine video game. It's also very, very obvious that it's a video game. A lot of stuff in its setting very clearly is there for the sake of gameplay, instead of actually being there to tell a good story. Which is good, since that's the number one priority for a game, but just rehashing that stuff for movies would be terrible.

I mean you'd take those elements out if you were to actually do a movie rendition. Adaptation. You take the things that do work and take out that things that don't work.

I don't think movie audiences would actually want to see a live action rpg.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Not really because I didn't suggest that.

I didn't know Holdo was LGBT? But if she is, it ultimately doesn't mean anything because it's not in the movie or even suggested in it.

It's like when Rowling stated that Dumbledore was gay but even that has more substance than this since it was at least implied within the story.
"Admiral Ackbar is a minor character but Holdo was an entirely new character so if you have to invent a major character for plotline then you could also use a pre-existing character for it too even if he was a minor character before too."

Trying to replace an LGBT character with a cis-male. PRRRRREEEEETTTTTYYYYYYY homophobic, Gunslinger. Not a good look.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
"Admiral Ackbar is a minor character but Holdo was an entirely new character so if you have to invent a major character for plotline then you could also use a pre-existing character for it too even if he was a minor character before too."

Trying to replace an LGBT character with a cis-male. PRRRRREEEEETTTTTYYYYYYY homophobic, Gunslinger. Not a good look.

You "could". Key emphasis there. I didn't say it would be a good idea or that it's what I wanted.

Also I'm not sure if you're being purposefully dense but that's not homophobic considering I didn't even know Holdo was gay.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You "could". Key emphasis there. I didn't say it would be a good idea or that it's what I wanted.

Also I'm not sure if you're being purposefully dense but that's not homophobic considering I didn't even know Holdo was gay.
It's almost like accusing someone of homophobia is really dumb when it obvious had nothing to do with that, right?

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
Also the ST badly needed a lightsaber fight. That's one thing that across the board all my friends were bummed about.

Eh

Despite the little actual lightsaber fight I'm okay with the ST lightsaber use as I feel like the sword itself still has a visual impact that hasn't diminished as a result.

Less is more bascially

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but I was making a light-hearted joke about a company not you because you were taking my post about Nien Nunb seriously.

You were actually trying to upset me and accused me of homophobia which I wasn't doing to you. Not the same. Fuck off.
How am I supposed to know you're just "jokingly" saying my post is homophobic? Why would I take that as a joke?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
How am I supposed to know you're just "jokingly" saying my post is homophobic? Why would I take that as a joke?

Because I wasn't calling your post homophobic. I was calling Disney homophobic.

And the whole thing started with you making a joke about Nien Nunb replacing Rose, me making fun of the idea by taking it seriously and included the benefit of a gay romance, you quipping that this is why Disney hires talented writers like Rian and me replying with "to keep the gay people? And jokingly accusing Disney of homophobia" to keep the joke train going

Then you got mad and tried to make me upset by accusing me of homophobia.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
When you take my thought processes for why someone is hired and you imply that that processes is because of homophobia, then yeah, I'm gonna think it's calling me homophobic and I don't take that as a joke.

You don't take that as a joke but you're clearly comfortable trolling someone by calling them homophobic without an actual basis

And not really because it doesn't say anything about you. I wasn't making it personal. You explicitly did.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
And just for the record: No, I wasn't actually calling you homophobic because knowing that Holdo is into everything is something that gets dropped in one sentence in a book. When you say something that makes it seem like you're calling me homophobic, which yeah, that did upset me, I was then throwing it back at you to make it clear that it's ridiculous to bring up homophobia when we're talking about dumb plastic aliens. The "PRRREEEETTTTTTYYYYYY" was meant to show that I wasn't being serious.

I apologize if that wasn't clear enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.