Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

PaltryHatefulCopperhead-size_restricted.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You know,

I was thinking about the resurgence of Mary Sue complaints in regard to female characters recently and the misogyny that popularized the term.

I've never heard any outcry about Obi-Wan being too powerful, yet in the PT, he's able to beat Anakin Skywalker, who has Midi's over 9000, higher than Yoda, is expected to be the chosen one, and is chosen by Palp to be his apprentice because of his immense power (almost in his prime, channeling his hatred).

Not one criticism about Obi-Wan being too powerful. Can you imagine if he were a woman instead and had beaten Anakin in a 20 minute, equally chanced saber duel?

Last edited:

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Obi-Wan is the main character of the PT as far as I'm concerned. Lucas should have just focused on his viewpoint of the journey throughout. He's by far the most dynamic player there and has his own interesting views on the Jedi/Force.

But yeah, nobody complains about him being basically the most important Jedi of the modern SW era, despite the fandom's obsessions with heritage and chosen ones.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I believe there's a big confusion related to this Mary Sue thing. It's like when they just don't like a powerful female character and they give the same label, when these characters are very different from each other.

For example, I don't think Rey is even that good as they claim, she's just a skilled fighter since the beginning of TFA, and everything she knows comes from her backstory + the force (piloting, fixing stuff and fighting). Her actual feats aren't that big and she has a very interesting arc. IMO, she's a flawed character and one that I can relate a lot. Ironically people have just expected her to be like Luke? (which had a good life and for some reason is a good pilot) It's different stories with different arcs.

Then we have another female character, Captain Marvel, which people call her Mary Sue and tbh it's more because she feels like Superman? But I never thought of her being stronger than others strong heroes in MCU.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I was really sad to hear about Peter Mayhew. I'm not sure if it was on Era or somewhere but someone mentioned the realization of having childhood heroes pass away. I'm used to seeing heroes or favorites of my parents pass away but now I'm starting to see my own pass away and it's definitely a sad realization.

On a lighter note, a family member of mine ended up getting one of those Galaxy's Edge reservations prior to the public opening, so my wife and I will be going soon. It's pretty surreal - I didn't anticipate seeing Galaxy's Edge until the end of this year, at the absolute earliest, but now it's literally right around the corner.

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
You know,

I was thinking about the resurgence of Mary Sue complaints in regard to female characters recently and the misogyny that popularized the term.

I've never heard any outcry about Obi-Wan being too powerful, yet in the PT, he's able to beat Anakin Skywalker, who has Midi's over 9000, higher than Yoda, is expected to be the chosen one, and is chosen by Palp to be his apprentice because of his immense power (almost in his prime, channeling his hatred).

Not one criticism about Obi-Wan being too powerful. Can you imagine if he were a woman instead and had beaten Anakin in a 20 minute, equally chanced saber duel?
If the girl trained virtually her entire life and trained Anakin, who is coming unhinged during the fight. She is also one of the top Jedi in the order. This girl was also shown as a seasoned veteran in the OT. I think you would get less kick back than you expect.

The better comparison is maybe Luke being accepted at face value, but his feats are less impressive.. Kinda.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If the girl trained virtually her entire life and trained Anakin, who is coming unhinged during the fight. She is also one of the top Jedi in the order. This girl was also shown as a seasoned veteran in the OT. I think you would get less kick back than you expect.

The better comparison is maybe Luke being accepted at face value, but his feats are less impressive.. Kinda.
There's no chance it wouldn't be a talking point if Kenobi were a woman.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Talked about probably, but if kenobi had been a girl since a new hope.. The landscape would be so so different. The fan base would be so different.
It's the same reason that if you suddenly make Rey a male, you don't have a phrase like "Mary Sue" ever being popularized. Anakin is fucking force jesus in the PT and succeeds by accident yet there are virtually no criticisms of him being a Gary Stu or whatever you'd want to call it.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I disagree

Black Panther and Vision both showed up clown the other Avengers and no one bats an eye.

Cap Marvel also shows up with an origin movie and she's still problematic in the eyes of many.

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
I disagree

Black Panther and Vision both showed up clown the other Avengers and no one bats an eye.

Cap Marvel also shows up with an origin movie and she's still problematic in the eyes of many.
Cap Marvel is a good example, that's true. I agree that there would be negative reaction. I was more caught up in the comparison between the two and I believe that female Kenobi world be better received than Rey. The power of Rey is kinda unexplained compared to other non - Skywalkers, while Kenobi is well explained. Captain Marvel is explained, but if she wasn't and just showed up that'd be much worse than it even is. . Though the comparison is kinda poor I guess. The force is a factor that is shared in common, marvel doesn't have that among most heroes.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Dooku: Jedi Lost. Overall I liked it a lot, but I do have a few issues.

The ending was fitting but you could see it coming from a mile away.

It's a strange choice to completely skip over Dooku's years as a knight with Rael as his padawan. We go from young and struggling Dooku to cool and calculating Dooku with a two or three decade gap in between (also I just realized this means the book starts about a century before ANH). And I was hoping we'd get more of Yoda training him. I want that adventure on Kashyyyk!

Also disappointed that the story ends before Dooku actually turns to the dark side, but that does make sense with the particular narrative it was focused on - Dooku's family and his return to Serenno. Sheev makes a cameo being introduced to Dooku by Rael, but other than that there's no Sith shenanigans unless you count the war beast.

Hopefully there's a sequel detailing how he met Tarkin and fell under Sheev's sway, how he convinced Sifo-Dyas to go along with the plan to create a clone army, etc. [/quote]

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot he voiced Hondo since I think of him more as the guy who voiced Lorewalker Cho.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol it's hilarious to me that the talking point for a year and a half was that TLJ had bad legs in theaters. Now we're looking at domestic comparisons in the BO thread with TLJ's legs being among the top of the pack in terms of best case scenario projections, even besting Infinity War's legs.

dolo

Nov 27, 2018
I just finished kotor 2 (with that restoration mod). Some thoughts and questions. No plot spoilers, but probably don't read if you haven't played it.

SPOILER SPOILER! Trying to figure out how to hide the text.

dolo

Nov 27, 2018
To summarise what i accidently deleted.

The game was far too ambiguous and It cought me by supprise

Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, just gonna pop in this "May the Fourth thread" and see what's up. I mean, it's a celebration of Star Wars, and Peter Mayhew just passed, so I'm sure the shitposts won't be... SON OF A BITCH WHAT WAS I THINKING...

So I'll just leave this here.

giphy.gif

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Atm I just want TROS to release ASAP, so everyone gets the fanservice they want and stop talking about TLJ in every thread.

and then complain that TROS had too much fanservice

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If JJ plays his cards well TROS will probably end up "redeeming" TLJ in the eyes of the haters by recontextualizing some of the more subversive plot points (without retconning anything).

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Here we go:

https://www.starwars.com/news/journey-to-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-publishing-program

Only one adult novel, so far:

Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Resistance Reborn
Publisher: Del Rey
Author: Rebecca Roanhorse
Format: Adult novel
Description: In this Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker novel, Poe Dameron, General Leia Organa, Rey, and Finn must struggle to rebuild the Resistance after their defeat at the hands of the First Order in Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
On-sale: 11/12/2019

DVgdVg5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.