Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Had trouble sleeping last night and spent a small portion trying to imagine the kind of person who watches ROS and thinks that is the kind of star wars they want more of. Baffling.

Edit: to be clear, the lack of sleep had nothing to do with star wars. I'm not lying up all night troubled by this shit

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They might be taking him a little too literally. Luke said a thousand generations [of Jedi] live within Rey but she ain't the bloody Avatar. Palpatine just said effectively the same thing, that he is the culmination of the knowledge and efforts of all Sith.

I sincerely doubt Anakin's body was taken over by Palpatine's soul in those final moments before he died.

At most I'd see it as the opposite of what that article implies - rather than the master extending their life by taking over the body of their apprentice when they're killed, what if the apprentice absorbs the souls of all the Sith when they kill their master and becomes master over them?

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

Total nonsense.

" It's not the first time Palpatine has told someone to strike him down in anger, he said the same thing to Luke in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, and now we know why..."

We already knew why. He wanted Luke to give into his anger and strike at him, knowing that Vader would protect him and they would then fight to the death. He didn't actually want Luke to kill him.

Until this movie, death was something the Sith were terrified of and could never return from. Only the Jedi could persist after death. Thanks to this movie nothing means anything any more, anyone can be a ghost, anyone can come back.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Nerd question part 2, stories that are set post-TROS...

New New Republic era?
Late New Republic era?
The Age of Rey?
The Baby Yoda Age?

Is There gonna be a new new republics?
From Visual Dictionary and Resistance Reborn books
The Centrist form the new government as a public-facing political part of the first order.

The Centrist party supports a more centralized New Republic government... with a stronger Senate, a stronger Executive, and a stronger Military. A radical far-right Centrist group within it believes each planet should be a fortress world. A radical far-left Centrist group believes all economic and social activity should be regulated.

Oct 26, 2017
I can go with that or a variation of it.

The Sith aren't generally known to be selfless in any sense, not for others and not to preserve the Sith as vague collective. It would play into their inherent selfishness that the rule of two was orchestrated for a specific purpose.

Asking for another to strike them down just doesn't make much sense if there wasn't much something in it for a Sith Lord.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They might be taking him a little too literally. Luke said a thousand generations [of Jedi] live within Rey but she ain't the bloody Avatar. Palpatine just said effectively the same thing, that he is the culmination of the knowledge and efforts of all Sith.

I sincerely doubt Anakin's body was taken over by Palpatine's soul in those final moments before he died.

At most I'd see it as the opposite of what that article implies - rather than the master extending their life by taking over the body of their apprentice when they're killed, what if the apprentice absorbs the souls of all the Sith when they kill their master and becomes master over them?
I don't know, Luke's quote is in the context of Jedi being Force ghosts, they are literally one with the Force rather than one with Rey... But with the Sith it's different since Sith Force ghosts don't exist...

Also, Anakin didn't risk being taken over since he died as a Jedi, he wasn't filled with hate and wasn't a Sith anymore.

Regarding your question, I think it's pretty much the same thing in the end. I see it as some sort of fusion of souls... so "master absorbing student" or "student absorbing master" is basically be the same result. The result is someone with the combined hatred and conscience of both.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, Luke's quote is in the context of Jedi being Force ghosts, they are literally one with the Force rather than one with Rey... But with the Sith it's different since Sith Force ghosts don't exist...

Also, Anakin didn't risk being taken over since he died as a Jedi, he wasn't filled with hate and wasn't a Sith anymore.

Regarding your question, I think it's pretty much the same thing in the end. I see it as some sort of fusion of souls... so "master absorbing student" or "student absorbing master" is basically be the same result. The result is someone with the combined hatred and conscience of both.
The Jedi had to learn to retain their sense of self when being reabsorbed into the force (presumably this is the fate of all living things). Either that or the ones who did can offer that up to the people that haven't.

With everyone backing her I just assumed that was in a supportive capacity rather than a literal one, as it might be with the Sith.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I see people mad that critics of the movies think Palpatine ie a clone but it's completely understandable why people think

The movie doesn't properly explain why other than because dark side and the only other thing you get is the sudden rebel sith expert that Sith can do cloning and shit

The movie is way too fast it's doesn't give some people time to think so you get people thinking clone

Oct 26, 2017
TLJ didn't do his character many favors, but at least he had an arc. As an actor, I can see why he'd like his character in TROS more since he actually gets to shoot and do plot things. He gets to act like a badass instead of a clown.
I'm slowly catching up with this thread so I apologize if this has already been brought up but you need to watch TLJ again.

His character isn't played off as a joke at all in the film beyond the immediate moments after he wakes up and runs into Rose. Afterwards he's pretty damn competent and involved with Poe's plan. At worst you can say his character is naive and ignorant of how the greater world works but that makes sense since he was a brainwashed child soldier most of his life.

TFA is the film where he's literally played off as a bumbling sidekick. And also where the joke about him being a janitor comes from.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Jedi had to learn to retain their sense of self when being reabsorbed into the force (presumably this is the fate of all living things). Either that or the ones who did can offer that up to the people that haven't.

With everyone backing her I just assumed that was in a supportive capacity rather than a literal one, as it might be with the Sith.
I think Palpatine was forcefully (no pun intended) using the past Sith. I doubt the past Sith were being altruistic and supporting Palpatine out of a sense of common purpose or anything. Sith have always been egotistical so when Palpatine says "I am all the Sith" it really cannot be the same meaning as with Rey and the past Jedi.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I truly don't understand people who think Kylo shouldn't have been redeemed. I just don't get it, especially since he's the last Skywalker.

Redemption is the big theme of this whole saga.
Unlike with Vader redemption was handed to Ben on a silver platter like, four goddamn times. Him doubling down on the dark and that being his undoing always made more sense thematically.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The film could have used a Sith specter or any of the other Legends/lore established ways to make Palps 2.0 make sense. It could have done its own thing too! Nobody knows what this film did though DiipuSurotu. A Good Question For Another Time.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not going to lie, it would explain some things. The natural order is for the dead to become one with the Force, right? Yet the Sith would prefer to hoard their power, so perhaps they figured out that the only way to prevent themselves from becoming one with the Force was to bind their souls, if you will, to the next in line.

So every Sith that's killed by their apprentice becomes one with them and thus the goal of every Sith is to be killed by another Sith and the longer the "chain" is unbroken the more powerful the Sith become.

Of course, this means Plagueis didn't want to do that - he would have sought a way to cheat death so that he wouldn't become one with the Sith that succeeded him. He may have seen that as no different to becoming one with the Force since you still presumably lose your identity and consciousness.

This somehow allowed Palpatine to retain his consciousness even after death, which I assume is also what allowed him to be revived on Exogol. I mean, it's obviously not something that was possible normally otherwise there'd be loads of Sith Lords running around.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I don't like that we heard Mace and a couple of the other prequel Jedi talking to Rey. Qui-Gon was the first to learn how to retain his consciousness and he taught it to Yoda, the Prequel Jedi were gone by that point.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like that we heard Mace and a couple of the other prequel Jedi talking to Rey. Qui-Gon was the first to learn how to retain his consciousness and he taught it to Yoda, the Prequel Jedi were gone by that point.
Quite-Gone only learned to became a Force voice rather than a full Force ghost, but if I recall correctly Yoda or someone taught him the full technique. They presumably taught it to Mace and the cartoon Jedi too. No one is ever really gone.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Unlike with Vader redemption was handed to Ben on a silver platter like, four goddamn times. Him doubling down on the dark and that being his undoing always made more sense thematically.
He didn't just wake up one morning "Yeah I'm going to be evil" snoke (Palpatine) seduced him to the dark side, but Leia always believed he could be saved and he knew it too.

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah, I was a little disappointed considering his actions in 7 and 8. His entire thing post-Snoke's death was so damn good that him being the main enemy was significantly more interesting than, "Well, you killed Snoke, but I made Snoke. Look at this container with Snoke clones. I'm the one controlling you."

He didn't just wake up one morning "Yeah I'm going to be evil" snoke (Palpatine) seduced him to the dark side, but Leia always believed he could be saved and he knew it too.

Leia: I held out hope for so long, but I know my son is truly gone.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The film could have used a Sith specter or any of the other Legends/lore established ways to make Palps 2.0 make sense. It could have done its own thing too! Nobody knows what this film did though DiipuSurotu. A Good Question For Another Time.
giphy.gif

My original assumption when the first teaser came out was that going into the ruins of Endor would mean an encounter with a sith specter version of Palpatine, mirroring Luke's encounter with the force ghosts on dagobah.

Leia straight up says this in TLJ.
tumblr_pkhq52QNxY1x4equoo5_500.gifv

Ofc Luke reassures her otherwise and the original film with Carrie Fisher's involvement most likely would've had a much more prominent role to make it work.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed considering his actions in 7 and 8. His entire thing post-Snoke's death was so damn good that him being the main enemy was significantly more interesting than, "Well, you killed Snoke, but I made Snoke. Look at this container with Snoke clones. I'm the one controlling you."

Exactly.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018

Ofc Luke reassures her otherwise and the original film with Carrie Fisher's involvement most likely would've had a much more prominent role to make it work.

Exactly.
She was pouring her heart out to Luke, who knew that even their father could have been saved. Kylo chose not to kill her, and in the end she was the one who saved him.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Force Ghosts were the main theme in the last 3 eps of the then last season:

That´s Liam Neeson btw. He was also in a S03 ep. Force User remnants are also in the KOTOR age. The PT/OT Jedi just forgot all about them till Qui-Gon.
The Jedi voices in ROS are fine but maybe do something with them...? That scene also throws Ahsoka´s state into question. A Good Question For Another Time.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Ahsoka is 36 at Before Battle of Yavin (EP4) and thus 40 at the end of Rebels/EP6. EP 9 is set 35 years later. Ahsoka = 75. Thx wikia.
I won´t get into Togruta life spans, like who cares, but Force users age slower if they do it right. Ahsoka doesn´t have to be dead of natural causes and deserves a show or film of her own on D+. Fans lastly deserve an elderly female Jedi master who is canon.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Sith having their own twisted, lesser form of immortality makes sense on paper, but having it in the form of fucked up techno necromancy (like the clones from the Dark Empire EU or even Cyber Zombie Sheev here) is where it should stay, imho.

Giving an actual spiritual component that involves killing the master feels wrong because a) it comes off as an unnecessary "explanation" for why the Emperor wanted Like to give into violence and hatred in the throne room, and b) it raises too many questions about why this has never come up before in any canonical stories despite it being so essential to the Sith succession.

Regarding a), the Emperor wanted to break Luke's conviction in not fighting and killing his own father despite both the Jedi and the Emperor believing it to be inevitable. He wanted to shatter Luke's seeming arrogance about pacifism by taunting him into attacking a "helpless unarmed old man" out of fear and desperation. Even if the Emperor would actually have been happy with Luke striking him down (and that's a major assumption), that could still be thematically consistent: the good guy "wins" but is corrupted because they learn that the path to victory and power is giving into anger and violence, meaning the Dark Side truly wins in the end. The Emperor's taunting works as a thematic bookend on the story of Luke learning what it means to be a Jedi: a badass warrior with a laser sword, or a wise man whose feelings and trust in the Force leads him down the right path. Transforming that into a literal plot device where Sidious was trying to trick the hero into a magical soul transfer technique cheapens it. It's like if they suddenly revealed that Obi-Wan's "more powerful than you could ever imagine" line actually meant that a Force Ghost being pure energy allows them to shoot lightsaber beams out of their hands.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Ahsoka is 36 at Before Battle of Yavin (EP4) and thus 40 at the end of Rebels/EP6. EP 9 is set 35 years later. Ahsoka = 75. Thx wikia.
I won´t get into Togruta life spans, like who cares, but Force users age slower if they do it right. Ahsoka doesn´t have to be dead of natural causes and deserves a show or film of her own on D+ and fans deserve an elderly female Jedi master who is canon.

She probably had a stroke trying to use the force just like Luke.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This tough leader persona is to mask the frighted Ben who was still tethered to his mother by the force, why do you think Vader fought Luke if he was his son?
Kylo later.
46009d9ec57cf89db781ea1619392c6c.gif

He was fully committed and his reaction to failing to kill everyone was a "No" so severe it would've made Vader blush. What breaks Kylo at the end of his film, is that he failed, and thus had to sit there and reflect on that failure, alone.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yet the movie is also saying Palpatine never lost his power, just worked from the shadows amassing a fleet and rebuilding a new Order through... whatever the hell Snoke was. So I'm still really confused about what "balancing the force" even was. Because if it is still directly referencing his turn on Palpatine, then at best it's saying the balance was achieved through a minor and temporary setback to the arch villain's scheme (in which case, doesn't that happen in every single film? Deathstar destruction etc?) And at worst we have to assume the balancing act was Vader's own death, which could have been achieved by him never existing in the first place, so why was the prophecy even needed?
Balance the force means whatever you want it to mean beyond killing all the sith

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Kylo later.
46009d9ec57cf89db781ea1619392c6c.gif

He was fully committed and his reaction to failing to kill everyone was a "No" so severe it would've made Vader blush. What breaks Kylo at the end of his film, is that he failed, and thus had to sit there and reflect on that failure, alone.
You're not supposed to side with Kylo's words, Luke is the voice of reason, the moral compass that tells us that he is wrong.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Leia also says this in TFA
images

Presumably, Han's death made Leia give up hope, but it didn't stop Rey from still believing Ben could be saved in TLJ, even when Luke and Leia didn't believe it. Rey wasn't completely off given that Ben wasn't able to kill his mother.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Qui-Gon Jinn was 62 when he got Mauled. Count Dooku was 83 when he got head from Annie. Yoda was about 900. Jedi can get old. And Obi-Wan was 57.

Vader was 45, Luke 53, Leia 54 and Kylo 30. And thus the Skywalkers ended.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Yet the movie is also saying Palpatine never lost his power, just worked from the shadows amassing a fleet and rebuilding a new Order through... whatever the hell Snoke was. So I'm still really confused about what "balancing the force" even was. Because if it is still directly referencing his turn on Palpatine, then at best it's saying the balance was achieved through a minor and temporary setback to the arch villain's scheme (in which case, doesn't that happen in every single film? Deathstar destruction etc?) And at worst we have to assume the balancing act was Vader's own death, which could have been achieved by him never existing in the first place, so why was the prophecy even needed?
I guess Anakin did only temporarily bring the Force back into balance. In AOTC Mace says that their ability to use the Force has diminished, and in ROTS he says Anakin is the only one that can bring it back into balance, implying it was out of balance by that point. I guess the Sith simply existing and using the Darkside throws the Force out of balance so Vader's death and Palpatine being nearly killed/severely weakened brought some respite to the Force while he recovered. And I suppose one way to look at it is Anakin "killing" Palpatine is what freed the Galaxy from Sith rule, it threatened to return in TROS but Rey stopped it before it happened.

I personally wish that Anakin/Vader concept art ghost had shown up to Rey right at the end and there was some suggestion it helped her defeat Palpatine but whatever.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not replying to anyone recently, but just to a relatively common response I've heard regarding this movie:

You do not get to excuse this movie's mistakes by saying JJ had to "correct" what Rian did.

First; you obviously are allowed to like or dislike whatever you want. It's okay to dislike TLJ and like this film. I happen to be exactly the opposite in that I adore TLJ and think this movie is a pile of lukewarm turds, but that's just like my opinion, man.

However: it's shitty writing to dedicate your movie to retconning the previous chapter in the franchise. TLJ was divisive, but it was a critical darling, made shitloads of money, and the majority of people actually liked it. It left the universe in an interesting place. It wasn't objectively bad - it was simply divisive. So if you actually care about continuity and the coherence of your franchise, you build upon what came before. Tearing down what came before you is shitty writing and makes the story as a whole suffer.

What I'm saying is that "fixing" TLJ isn't a "necessary evil." It's a flat out mistake. And that isn't driven from my opinion regarding the quality of these films or which one is my favorite. It's a statement on how to manage a franchise that you actually care about.

Oct 31, 2017
You're not supposed to side with Kylo's words, Luke is the voice of reason, the moral compass that tells us that he is wrong.

That's not siding with him.

That's him ready to kill everybody.

images

Presumably, Han's death made Leia give up hope, but it didn't stop Rey from still believing Ben could be saved in TLJ, even when Luke and Leia didn't believe it. Rey wasn't completely off given that Ben wasn't able to kill his mother.

Yes, she said it in TFA.

Then in TLJ, she says she held out hope for so long but knows he's truly gone. TFA is her still holding out hope.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, we know that Kylo is wrong. And we also know that this is an episode like his other anger episodes where as soon as the anger fades he'll go back to pure misery and self hatred. But it's a bit hard to just describe it as an temper tantrum when it involves him trying to kill people.
images

Leia said that before Kylo killed Han. Rey knew nothing about him not attempting to kill Leia. The whole irony of the Rey trying to redeem Ben thing was that she was being naive, she was only help him go further down the path of the darkside. Helping him gain power when she thought she was pulling him to the light. Meanwhile, Kylo was only pushing her further towards the light when he thought he was pulling her down the path of the darkside so that she'd join him. It's a wonderful piece of writing where two characters, both of whom have a vision of them helping each other, make the opposite conclusion.

My first assumption is that Kylo would have a similar death to the character that inspired him. As in, some of the light coming through while he's about to die, a tragic figure instead of literally Vader 2.0. The Palpatine final boss thing, while a great spectacle depending on your tolerance for things just happening because the plot demands it instead of things that serve the story, wasn't needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.