• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
World Wonder Ring Stardom (often simply referred to as Stardom) is a Japanese joshi puroresu (women's professional wrestling) organization founded in 2010. Purchased in 2019 by Japanese card game company Bushiroad, it is now considered a sister promotion to fellow Bushiroad promotion New Japan Pro Wrestling. Since pre-pandemic in 2019, Stardom has been gaining in popularity domestically and internationally and has moved from 6th to 2nd in attendance among all Japanese pro wrestling promotions. In this thread we hope to provide a base for discussion of Stardom and it's performers as well as discussion of any other joshi wrestlers and promotions.

First, a little about Stardom. Much of this is adopted from the excellent guide on the r/stardomjoshi subreddit:
Beginners Guide to Stardom 2022

How do I start watching?
An excellent starting point is the Stardom Official youtube account, which often posts promos and select matches. This is an easy way to get some exposure to the varied styles found within Stardom as well as get a sense for the range of characters found within the promotion.

Once you've decided to take the next step in your Stardom journey, the next step is a subscription to Stardom World, their premium subscription service where all of the Stardom events are posted. For 920 yen per month (charged on the 1st of the month regardless of when you sign up, so be sure to sign up early in the month to maximize your value), you have access to all events within days of their live date (with the exception of some pay per view events, which can take up to a week to be uploaded). The website unfortunately is only in Japanese, but signing up is easy if you use a web translation (like Google Chrome) and you can make automatic payments. The streaming quality is solid, but be aware that most of the events will be untranslated from Japanese without English commentary (with the exception of some promos which will have English subtitles) and many of the non-televised live events are less produced than many Western wrestling promotion shows you may be familiar with. These are still very watchable, however, and feature some great wrestling! The previous shows remain archived as well, so you can go back to check out historic matchups anytime!

Pay per views are offered via a website called PIA with links active to purchase a few days before the event on the order of ~$30USD. Follow the official Stardom Twitter account for these links as the show approaches. Typically the link once purchased is active for several days and then uploaded to Stardom World for all subscribers with English subtitles added for promos.

When should I start watching?
Right now! Stardom's main storylines reset after Dream Queendom in late December, so all new storylines are beginning now in early 2023.

Do I need to understand Japanese?
Not at all. While Stardom shows rarely have English commentary (although Bushiroad has mentioned this as a possibility in the future), most of the important pre and post-match promos are subtitled when they arrive on Stardom World. The storylines are also fairly easy to understand with most of the storytelling being via in-ring performance and nonverbal communication. There are also resources of fan translations for press conferences that can be found if you follow @ItsDanaNow on Twitter or visit their blog at Shine Today, Believe Tomorrow

How does the schedule work?
Stardom does not have regularly scheduled weekly shows. Rather, they typically run shows on weekends and holidays, averaging 8 or 9 per month. There are also big events with more championship matches and built-up matches that are often televised specials or on pay per view, and these average at least one per month. There are also several major shows per year, for example Dream Queendom, which has occurred in late December since 2021 and is the culmination of the year's biggest storylines and the Historic X-Over event which was the first combined show with New Japan Pro Wrestling in 2022. You can find the official Stardom schedule here.

Major Events
The Cinderella Tournament: An elimination tournament in which the winner gets to challenge for any title. 10 minute time limit with over the top rope elimination.

The 5Star Grand Prix: Similar to the G1 Climax in NJPW, a round robin tournament with two blocks and winner of each block meeting in the finals. Winner goes on to face the World of Stardom champion in a major PPV.

The Goddesses of Stardom Tag League: Similar format to the 5Star Grand Prix, but with tag teams.

Triangle Derby: New for 2023, a tournament focusing on trios tag matches.

Dream Queendom: Since 2021, this annual PPV has been Stardom's version of Wrestle Kingdom or Wrestlemania, occurring in late December and wrapping up the year's major storylines and featuring the biggest World of Stardom title match.

Let's talk titles!

Stardom has 8 current titles. Here are the current champions with a brief description of what distinguishes the belts:

World of Stardom Championship
Also referred to as the Red Belt, this title is given to a performer with great technique, generally considered to be the best in-ring wrestler in the company.
Current Champion: Giulia since 12/29/22

giulia-stardom.gif
latest

Wonder of Stardom Championship

Also referred to as the White Belt, this title can often be featured just as prominently as the Red Belt and features dramatic and emotionally charged matchups

Current Champion: Saya Kamitani since 12/29/2021

CleverMediocreIrishsetter-max-1mb.gif

Goddess of Stardom Championship

Awarded to the best 2 person tag team

Current Champions: 7Upp (Nanae Takahashi and Yuu) since 12/29/22

Artist of Stardom Championship

Awarded to the best 3 person tag team

Current champions: Prominence (Risa Sera, Suzu Suzuki and Kurumi Hiragi) since 12/29/22

latest

High Speed Championship

Midcard title awarded to fast paced wrestlers with matches that are typically sprints

Current Champion: AZM (pronounced Ah-Zoom-Mi) since 2/23/22

1054eb086b062551d8d7a912e8e545eaaf359de6.gif
azm-flag2.jpg

Future of Stardom Championship

Rookie level title reserved for wrestlers under 20 yrs old or <3 years experience

Current Champion: Ami Sourei since 10/19/22

2e97d64b9d9ac6d2d90918c73a16c2846270e742.gifv

IWGP Women's Championship

Technically a shared title with NJPW, awarded to KAIRI at the Historic X-Over show following a tourney. Intended for defense internationally

Current Champion: KAIRI since 11/20/22

b0a5361ab88d17c0e81a75642cb0f5c629d785ec.gif
FiBEexeaEAAbMcw.png

SWA World Championship

Highlighting international reach of Stardom, special rule in place that it has to be contested by 2 wrestlers from different nationalities. Currently vacant since 11/3/22 and unclear if it will be active since birth of IWGP Women's Championship

Factions
Much like NJPW, Stardom's roster is largely divided into factions of wrestlers with similar styles or goals that work and train together to push each other to success. Many of these factions (and by extension, wrestlers) do not fit cleanly into Western wrestling ideas of "face" or "heel" personas, instead focusing on feuds built around wrestlers vying for the same goals or relationships. Except Oeda Tai, they're totally heels. Alliances change often, current factions include:

Cosmic Angels
Cosmic_Angels_%28professional_wrestling_stable%29_logo.jpg
%E7%94%BB%E5%83%8F1-1.png

Members: Tam Nakano, Unagi Sayaka, Mina Shirakawa, Waka Tsukiyama, Saki, Hikari Shimizu, Yuko Sakurai, Natsupoi

Club Venus
FlMvIuWagAIsK1s.jpg

Current members: Mina Shirakawa, Xia Brookside, Mariah May

Donna Del Mondo

Donna_Del_Mondo_logo.jpg
FlNVvZeaEAAZBhT

Current members: Giulia, Maika, Himeka, Thekla, Mai Sakurai

God's Eye
God%27s_Eye_Stable_official_logo.jpg
OJM_gl11k3GIWDCDGyJs5L_MTrpHs1dQy4Ihn9BG_8g.jpg

Current members: Syuri, Mirai, Ami Sourei, Konami, Tomoka Inaba, Nanami

Neo Stardom Army
withdrawn-to-the-nsa.jpg

Current members: Nanae Takahashi, Yuu, Yuna Manase

Oeda Tai
Oedo_Tai_stable_logo.jpg
file.jpeg
Current members: Starlight Kid, Momo Watanabe, Saki Kashima, Natsuko Toro, Ruaka, Rina , Fukigen Death, Haruka Umesaki​
Prominence​
Prominence_stable_official_logo.png
FKRoRLVaMAYOomf
Current members: Risa Sera, Suzu Suzuki, Akane Fujita, Mochi Natsumi, Hiragi Kurumi​

Queen's Quest
Queen%27s_Quest_stable_logo.jpg
Queens-Quest-General-Election.jpg
Current members: Utami Hayashishita, AZM, Saya Kamitani, Lady C, Hina, Miyu Amasaki​
Stars
Stars_Stable_official_logo.jpg
STARS.jpg
Current members: Mayu Iwatani, Saya Iida, Hanan, Koguma, Hazuki, Momo Kohgo​
Can you recommend some matches?​
The excellent members of the r/stardomjoshi subreddit have been maintaining a Google docs guide to some great matches found on Stardom World that is updated all the way through 12/24/22. It can be found here. I would also highly recommend from the most recent major PPV (Dream Queendom II on 12/29/2022) the World of Stardom title match between Giulia and Syuri (former stablemates turned competitive rivals) and the match between KAIRI and Utami Hayashishita.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Great OP!

Also not mentioned, but it's been confirmed that Mercedes Mone (the former Sasha Banks) will be wrestling for Stardom, specifically at NJPW events.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
thanks for this! I've been really wanting to get into Stardom. the joshi style is fucking insane and every joshi wrestler i've seen in AEW/WWE/etc etc has been so good. Miyu Yamashita is outstanding from what i've seen, big early favorite.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Mayu vs. Kairi at Historic X-Over was my intro to Stardom, and it's legitimately in my top 5 matches of all time, maybe top 3. I tried to catch up since then and the dozen-ish matches I was able to check out made sure that I'm gonna be more keen on this company this year.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
This is an excellent OT. As someone who wants to get more into Stardom this year this is the perfect guide.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
He's retired now but I highly recommend seeking out Kagetsu's matches, particularly his dominant title reign as World of Stardom Champion.

For those wondering about the male pronouns, Kagetsu is an FTM trans man, however he was presenting as female during his active wrestling career. He transitioned and came out after retirement.

For great Kagetsu matches use cagematch.

Last edited:

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Historic X-Over was also my real introduction to STARDOM (I knew some of the roster already, but that's about it) and I just binge watched most of 2022's big events these past few weeks. It's just soooooo good.
Given their crazy growth it's a perfect time to jump in imo, 2023 should be a big year for them.

So far my favorites are:
-AZM
-Koguma
-Hayashita
-Syuri
-MIRAI
-Himeka
-Maika
-Starlight Kid
-Natsupoi
-Giulia

One thing I'm hoping for this year/in the near future is more shows with proper production (i.e. actual camerawork + Japanese commentary). Like, they do a lot of tournament/league/title matches in shows that are uploaded as super basic, almost raw footage which is a real shame. That's one point where NJPW World has really spoiled me, with all the shows (even skippable ones) having proper production values.
I do remember Rossy saying the STARDOM staff was still quite barebones even after they joined Bushiroad, so I guess that's one of the main reasons.

Last edited:

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
He's retired now but I highly recommend seeking out Kagetsu's matches, particularly his dominant title reign as World of Stardom Champion.

For those wondering about the male pronouns, Kagetsu is an FTM trans man, however he was presenting as female during his active wrestling career. He transitioned and came out after retirement.

For great Kagetsu matches use cagematch.

Kagetsu is legit one of my top 5 favourite wrestlers of all time. The 2016-2018 period with Oedo Tai and Queens Quest feuding was so good. Peak Oedo Tai with Kagetsu, Hana, Hazuki, Natsu, Tam and Nao was entertaining as hell.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome thread! I hugely implore those curious to go into the archives to watch the amazing matches between the likes of Arias Hoshiki, Maui Iwatani, the late Hana Kimura (RIP) and Yu Ishino (fka Kagetsu). The vast majority of my avatar pics have been of Stardom wrestlers so it's nice to see this promotion and Joshi wrestling in general get more exposure!

Sir Swish

Oct 26, 2017
Great thread!
Is Fukigen Death still in oedotai? I saw her in the rumble the other day and she had her normal clown clothes on.

OP
OP
Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hLRC_StMDY

These two are running it back in 2 days so I think it's a good choice.

This is one of my favorite matches in any promotion last year. Amazing example of the high speed format and made me a big Starlight Kid fan!
Great thread!
Is Fukigen Death still in oedotai? I saw her in the rumble the other day and she had her normal clown clothes on.
Anyone can correct me, but I think that was a one-off.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I personally cannot wait to see Giulia pay for past sins throughout her title reign, starting with Suzu again.

Title reigns with a clear cut storyline built in are the best.

OP
OP
Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Day 1 of the Triangle Derby should be up tomorrow I think. Something to watch at work lol
Haven't finished the whole show yet, but the Donna Del Mondo (Maika and Himeka) with Lady C vs Cosmic Angels (Tam and Natsupoi) with SAKI match was really good.

Was also fun to see Xia and Mariah from Club Venus make their debut. Mariah looks like she has potential.

Oct 25, 2017
I massively behind on Stardom at the moment, but it's cool to see a thread about it.

Managed to get to the Takadanobaba Tag League event while I was in Japan at the end of the last year which was a lot of fun, although annoyingly I didn't realise that the Edion Arena show was on while I was in Osaka. At least Mayu always seems to be a bit of a focus when I go, that show she had two matches this time and the only other show I went to was when she beat Bea to win the Red Belt.

Was also fun to see Xia and Mariah from Club Venus make their debut. Mariah looks like she has potential.

It might not be a particularly popular opinion but I think it's good to see more foreign wrestlers back in Stardom. They've been a bit hit and miss with them in the past but pre-pandemic seemed to be getting better at picking them.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I massively behind on Stardom at the moment, but it's cool to see a thread about it.

Managed to get to the Takadanobaba Tag League event while I was in Japan at the end of the last year which was a lot of fun, although annoyingly I didn't realise that the Edion Arena show was on while I was in Osaka. At least Mayu always seems to be a bit of a focus when I go, that show she had two matches this time and the only other show I went to was when she beat Bea to win the Red Belt.

It might not be a particularly popular opinion but I think it's good to see more foreign wrestlers back in Stardom. They've been a bit hit and miss with them in the past but pre-pandemic seemed to be getting better at picking them.
If it weren't for that I would have never known about Jamie Hayter and Toni Storm so keep bringing them if they're good enough

OP
OP
Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Mina starting the White Belt training montage!

View: https://twitter.com/minashirakawa/status/1610915832628146176?s=46&t=OaESfSrC9qZlKaMJQn5B1g

Google Translated Tweet:
During my absence, even after the period when I was not allowed to move, I couldn't do the training where I would bump into people.

The frustration was hitting the mitt earnestly......

Thanks to that, I had no worries about my stamina in the return match.

Learn more and more, I will become the strongest.

By the way, today's record 🫶🏻

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Would it be cool to do a "Stardom alumni you may know" post? Don't think I'll have time to write it up soon but could be fun to show the promotion's reach.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Mina starting the White Belt training montage!

View: https://twitter.com/minashirakawa/status/1610915832628146176?s=46&t=OaESfSrC9qZlKaMJQn5B1g

Google Translated Tweet:
During my absence, even after the period when I was not allowed to move, I couldn't do the training where I would bump into people.

The frustration was hitting the mitt earnestly......

Thanks to that, I had no worries about my stamina in the return match.

Learn more and more, I will become the strongest.

By the way, today's record 🫶🏻

Looking forward to the rematch with Saya.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
STARDOM is great and I'm very happy Giulia won the red belt because she's so goddamn good at everything.

OP
OP
Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
In my earlier post I buried the lead, 1 for sure banger and another potentially great match on Jan 8th:

First running back a classic High Speed Championship match from last February (posted above):

View: https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1610924832442716160?s=46&t=WPWJJu5cHhhh6lLrvCjHIA

Followed by Saya trying to creep closer to a historic number of successful defenses of the White Belt against promising relative newcomer Ami Sourei. If you haven't seen it, Saya's Phoenix Splash is amazing!

View: https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1610926541214724097?s=46&t=WPWJJu5cHhhh6lLrvCjHIA

OP
OP
Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
So, Stardom has a series of events they call NEW BLOOD, which focuses on younger and foreign talent. It's been confirmed that starting with the next event, they'll begin a tournament for the New Blood Tag Team Championship, which will essentially be a tag team version of the Future of Stardom championship.

View: https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1610930984236756992?t=NjdHd1OlMwKC4HNu_CkORw&s=19

I know technically SLK is still really young, but she's been at it so long that her inclusion in this tourney has real

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.png

energy.

OP
OP
Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
So does NJPW have a seperate women's division as well or is Stardom where they all wrestle?
Currently it's just Stardom wrestlers appearing at NJPW events with Historic X-Over this year being the first combined show. NJPW used to only put a couple featured Stardom tag matches on the pre-show card for Wrestle Kingdom until Historic X-Over, and now they plan on having the IWGP Women's belt defended at NJPW and Stardom events.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Great job on the thread OP. My interest in wrestling has waned over the last few years, but I've always wanted to get into Stardom and DDT pro.

OP
OP
Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Not quite up yet on Stardom World, but the first show of the Triangle Derby from 1/3 is worth a watch. All trios matches but you get the in-ring debut of Club Venus, an emotional match featuring Himeka and Maika against that traitor Natsupoi and a very good match between Queen's Quest and God's Eye that sets up the forthcoming Saya vs Ami match on 1/8 for the White Belt. I think there are some clips on the official Youtube if anyone wants to catch highlights.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite up yet on Stardom World, but the first show of the Triangle Derby from 1/3 is worth a watch. All trios matches but you get the in-ring debut of Club Venus, an emotional match featuring Himeka and Maika against that traitor Natsupoi and a very good match between Queen's Quest and God's Eye that sets up the forthcoming Saya vs Ami match on 1/8 for the White Belt. I think there are some clips on the official Youtube if anyone wants to catch highlights.

Something to watch this weekend.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I'll be in Japan in April right during the Cinderella tournament and their Yokohama Arena show, will definitely try to get tickets!

OP
OP
Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Oh no! SLK is ill and they have to cancel her match against AZM on 1/8:

View: https://twitter.com/StarLight_Kid11/status/1611649492159463425?s=20&t=yLXFJ_-80OuD5AkLpWlf_Q

Google Translated:
Everyone who was looking forward to the High Speed Championship, and AZM.
I'm so sorry I couldn't return to the ring on the 8th.

It's really pathetic to propose the main from myself...
But if I can be selfish, I definitely want to do this card.

Anyway, let's get back to the ring as soon as possible! !