Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What town maps? I'm like lvl 21 at the moment on my first playtghrough, and the omission of maps (local) drives me insane sometimes.
Yeah, this is one of those things where I don't understand what happened. Bethesda has stated they're working on them, so I'm expecting them to drop in an upcoming update.

Chippewa Barr

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 8, 2020
Glad they're keeping at it. Game is something special at the core but just has a bunch of these gremlins (which I mean to be fair it's Bethesda lol).

I feel this game will be legitimately amazing in another year or two…or maybe with a next gen machine lol.

Will jump back in once my 32" OLED ships in April. I still haven't done any faction quests even after like 150 hours.
That's some of the best story and dialogue in the game lol. Miles better than the main quest.
Bethesda's game engine doesn't support vehicles, the studio itself has confirmed this.
I mean they have had horses since Oblivion and those are just a different style of vehicle.

Not sure they ever confirmed what you said but regardless they could easily add them.
Did they fix the town maps yet?
Not yet but it's on their list.

It is sorely needed.
this game needs mods and console improvements so bad (60 fps when Todd?)
I'm honestly not sure if Series X could do it without massive compromises.

I suspect that will be a Xbox Pro (if it even exists) feature or even maybe next gen.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I'm honestly not sure if Series X could do it without massive compromises.

I suspect that will be a Xbox Pro (if it even exists) feature or even maybe next gen.

DF thought a performance mode was possible after the performance patch in November. The comparable Ryzen CPU hangs around 60.

"This performance boost is nearly replicated on a lower-tier Ryzen 5 3600 system, where I recorded a 17 percent frame-rate improvement with the beta patch installed. This brings this CPU into 60fps territory much more frequently, which makes a big difference to how smooth the game feels to play. This kind of a performance uplift makes me think a performance mode on console could be much more viable now, given that the 3600 and the Xbox Series X CPU operate within a similar performance profile."

I really think they should at least ship a locked 40 mode for 120 Hz displays on Series X, if they can't get a stable 60 in some areas.

Chippewa Barr

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 8, 2020
DF thought a performance mode was possible after the performance patch in November. The comparable Ryzen CPU hangs around 60.

"This performance boost is nearly replicated on a lower-tier Ryzen 5 3600 system, where I recorded a 17 percent frame-rate improvement with the beta patch installed. This brings this CPU into 60fps territory much more frequently, which makes a big difference to how smooth the game feels to play. This kind of a performance uplift makes me think a performance mode on console could be much more viable now, given that the 3600 and the Xbox Series X CPU operate within a similar performance profile."

I really think they should at least ship a locked 40 mode for 120 Hz displays on Series X, if they can't get a stable 60 in some areas.
Oh damn that'd be awesome.

I started on Series X then eventually moved over to my PC due to the framerate.

What they said makes sense though since I have a slightly better 3600X and a 2060 Super and I was locked at 60 basically everywhere except the major cities where it's float around low mid 50s.

This was at 1440p ultrawide as well.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good on the devs

Still going to wait maybe another year before I try it.

I'm sure I'd enjoy it despite the vague miasma of negativity

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Good on the devs

I love Bethesda games and I'd recommend waiting to anyone that hasn't played it. I think it'll be in a much better state with survival mode and Shattered Space. The game desperately needs a boost to the number of points of interest to make exploration more rewarding which will come with DLC plus mods.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Still hoping for more/better quality of life improvements to everything else:
  1. Star traveling (make it quicker/snappier, saved locations and alphabetical lists of systems, let's face it - remove some solar systems - its' too big, etc.)
  2. Planet landing (don't want to be forced to spin around the world in order to land on a place on the opposite side of my view - they are afraid of lists)
  3. Quicker world traversal (even just making the random maps smaller and points of interest closer together, walking is terrible)
  4. Overhaul for literally everything with artifacts (fuck those things, game would be better if removed altogether).
  5. Better object permanence on ships (would be great if there was an easier way to keep objects from tipping over, snap to tables, floor, etc.).
  6. View internals of ships when ship building (being able to block paths as well - let us have more control over our ships).
  7. Reduce the number of same flora and fauna needed to 100% scans (to be honest, just let us scan planets from space and move along).
When they fix #3, and they said that they will, I'll jump back in for a second playthrough. The walking is a huge letdown for me and it's good that they will address this in some manner.
Good on the devs

I finished it and enjoyed it but I'd say wait on it too. When it comes to PS, it's going to be in much better shape.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Still hoping for more/better quality of life improvements to everything else:
  1. Star traveling (make it quicker/snappier, saved locations and alphabetical lists of systems, let's face it - remove some solar systems - its' too big, etc.)
  2. Planet landing (don't want to be forced to spin around the world in order to land on a place on the opposite side of my view - they are afraid of lists)
  3. Quicker world traversal (even just making the random maps smaller and points of interest closer together, walking is terrible)
  4. Overhaul for literally everything with artifacts (fuck those things, game would be better if removed altogether).
  5. Better object permanence on ships (would be great if there was an easier way to keep objects from tipping over, snap to tables, floor, etc.).
  6. View internals of ships when ship building (being able to block paths as well - let us have more control over our ships).
  7. Reduce the number of same flora and fauna needed to 100% scans (to be honest, just let us scan planets from space and move along).

Good list. I would add they need to do something with the way character dialogue works, its... archaiac at best. Needs a damn overhaul. Also why doesn't Beth use mo cap at all?

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Wow. They actually fixed the Mercury Apartment (player house) being reset during the totally non optional mid/late game main quest mission bug. Only took them 6 months...

That was the main reason I dropped the game (because I had spent hours upon hours decorating the place and didn't want all my effort thrown away).

Problem is I'm now engrossed in other games and don't feel the urge to return.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
User warned: port begging
I'ma wait for the PS5 version with the DLC, the discussions around this game didn't put me off.

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
I just want an auto loot option, the loot stuff was cool on the PS3, it's now just cumbersome to have to manage, look at each item, run between your ship etc.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
How much of the game is harvesting and crafting materials? Nothing sounds more boring to me than that. If that aspect can be ignored I may give it a shot now.

I play on PC and I installed a mod that sets the cost of all crafting to zero. This way I can customize my guns as I want, I don't have to (and I'm not joking) search for materials in order to remove the scope on my rifle.

It's a huge quality of life upgrade since I can safely ignore all components I come across, I don't need to burden myself with them or waste time examining them.

Oct 29, 2017
"We also understand that digipicks are precious, so we've made an adjustment that allows you to Undo without the penalty cost of a digipick during the Security mini-game."

So it's impossible to fail the lock picking minigame now? If you have one lockpick you effectively have infinite lockpicks? Seems like a fairly large design change if I'm understanding correctly.

Gwynn

Mar 2, 2019
Please just let me watch the landing animations, I don't even care about loading screens anymore ...(* ̄0 ̄)ノ make it a setting

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
As usual launch buyers get shafted and latecomers get patches and price cuts.

Well, kinda. The price cuts are not doing much for the game yet. It's nowhere to be seen in Steam's top sellers despite a 33% price cut. The game being #197 while both Forza Horizon 4 and 5 (also in Game Pass) are in the top 80/20 says a lot.

I'll keep saying this needs a CP2077-like overhaul to have actual legs like previous BGS games.

Dec 5, 2017
Well, kinda. The price cuts are not doing much for the game yet. It's nowhere to be seen in Steam's top sellers despite a 33% price cut. The game being #197 while both Forza Horizon 4 and 5 (also in Game Pass) are in the top 80/20 says a lot.

I'll keep saying this needs a CP2077-like overhaul to have actual legs like previous BGS games.
I don't think a CP2077 syle overhaul will save the game. 77 had problems at launch, but they were problems that were gameplay and technical, something that is fixable with effort and doesn't require completely remaking the game. 77 had good writing and characters and mission design and a host of other aspects from the start. Starfield fixing the problems would be making an entirely new game. The writing, the quests, the characters, the world building, the skill system, the space combat, the way the open world works so many things about Starfield would need to be redone to make it great. You can do a big overhaul and try to fix a lot of those issues, but you can't fix them all.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I don't think a CP2077 syle overhaul will save the game. 77 had problems at launch, but they were problems that were gameplay and technical, something that is fixable with effort and doesn't require completely remaking the game. 77 had good writing and characters and mission design and a host of other aspects from the start. Starfield fixing the problems would be making an entirely new game. The writing, the quests, the characters, the world building, the skill system, the space combat, the way the open world works so many things about Starfield would need to be redone to make it great. You can do a big overhaul and try to fix a lot of those issues, but you can't fix them all.
Cyberpunk is accepted for what it is now, and the changes have made it better, but it's still not this huge roleplaying game that was marketed and it never will be.

WardFail

Banned
Jul 30, 2022
United States
So it's impossible to fail the lock picking minigame now? If you have one lockpick you effectively have infinite lockpicks? Seems like a fairly large design change if I'm understanding correctly.

Infinite digipicks for at least that one lock, it will get consumed once the mini-game is won. I'm a bit torn on this change, one of the things i really enjoyed about the mini-game was that you really had to plan out all of your moves solidly. Towards the end I got really good at eyeing notch and available patterns which made me better at it while also being way more efficient in my digi-pick usage over the course of my playthrough.

My biggest problem with Starfield as a loot hoarder were the instanced space ship boardings. I remember having a mission where i need to go in and help remove all the pirates from a ship. Afterwards I went around looting everything I could but I was low on digi-picks so so unlocked all the hardest ones first and left some easier ones. There was a room I couldn't open afterwards so I decided I would fly down to New Atlantis buy more digipicks and then come back. Turns out that once I undocked and left the area, since the mission was instanced, when I returned the ship was gone never to be found again.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
To me it's funny cause 2077 was seen as irredeemable trash. The edgerunners update got some people to come around. But phantom liberty was the big positive swing in public perception. This came out three years later. I don't think starfield is rotten to its core just like I never thought cyberpunk was either.

I think some key changes and a good expansion could be a huge jolt in this games arm. Sadly I don't think they've made any steps towards that just yet.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023

I still think there is enough that can be done to get a truly good game out of it. Remember that Bethesda games never had really good writing, so if they are able to turn the open world into something better than an arrow following simulator I'll be happy. It won't be the open world space New Vegas a lot of us have prayed for but it doesn't really need to do that to be decent.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
"We also understand that digipicks are precious, so we've made an adjustment that allows you to Undo without the penalty cost of a digipick during the Security mini-game."

I guess, but you still have to go through the tedium of unlocking the door. And when the door is like 5 locks, it can take a bit.

SnakeEater

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think that any kind of QoL improvements can bring me back to this game. Anyway, happy for the players who waited for this patch.